• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Despera

Banned
Feep, does Fez provide the same level of challenge as, let's say, Braid? Or is it a straight up cake walk save for a couple of exceptions?

Feep

Banned
Feep, does Fez provide the same level of challenge as, let's say, Braid? Or is it a straight up cake walk save for a couple of exceptions?
The actual puzzles revolving (hah) around the 2-D/3-D mechanics won't even come close. The fifth level of Sky Island was harder than anything Fez has to offer in that regard.

However, the cryptic stuff is much more obtuse than anything in Braid. But they're completely different types of puzzles; they aren't really comparable.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
hmm think it's some kind of loading issue every time that red square pops up on the bottom right my game skips frames and gets jittery

lol. Got to the end of the trial and chose to unlock. After I did it had me sign in to my gamertag again. Then the screen went black. Then came a screen of the main character in some unfamiliar place, looked to be stuck. I could press buttons and it'd make action noises but he couldn't move. Then it automatically quit to the dashboard.

Feep

Banned
lol. Got to the end of the trial and chose to unlock. After I did it had me sign in to my gamertag again. Then the screen went black. Then came a screen of the main character in some unfamiliar place, looked to be stuck. I could press buttons and it'd make action noises but he couldn't move. Then it automatically quit to the dashboard.
Sounds about right.

aku:jiki

Wow, I'm really loving how the overworld map shows you what you've found so far even down to the rooms in the level. I guess I need to go back to monocle guy's house and mess around!

Yay 5 cubes. I need to have a break for dinner and mull over the experience so far.

Using headphones; the music is out of this world.

I love the way the perspective fucks with you initially. Looks easy enough but some of the platforming isn't very obvious. It's a great mechanic.

Galdelico

hmm think it's some kind of loading issue every time that red square pops up on the bottom right my game skips frames and gets jittery
I guess it doesn't happen during the trial, right? Because I didn't see anything like that... Btw, the frame rate skips in certain areas.

I loved it tho, so I'm gonna buy happily. :D

I guess it doesn't happen during the trial, right? Because I didn't see anything like that... Btw, the frame rate skips in certain areas.

Yes it was in the trial, it's just one of those things some people are more perceptible to than others. I notice it a lot and it bugs me. :/

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

Game freezes for a split second when the red square pops up but anything you do while it's there happens in the game so when the red square goes away you sort of teleport it's made me miss a few jumps

Deepo

Yeah, the frame skipping (especially when auto saving) is really ruining it for me :( I'm very sensitive to stuff like that though, so I doubt it will affect that many. Hope they can fix it.

Galdelico

Yes it was in the trial, it's just one of those things some people are more perceptible to than others. I notice it a lot and it bugs me. :/
Sorry, my post was related to Rygar's note about the autosave issue... I didn't see the trial autosaving anywhere.

Edit - Just to be clear: I'm also sensitive to any frame-jittering/stuttering/issue, but during the demo it didn't seem a game-breaking deal to me.
Having said that, I'm a bit worried about that specific autosave freezing problem... It sounds pretty bad.

Is this the kind of game where you unlock abilities and go back or should I keep trying to get every cube in every zone I reach using the revolving mechanic?

I'm a whiny little bitch when it comes to little technical flaws like that, so I'm pretty sure I'd notice it and let it drive me insane, but my game doesn't do that. Maybe clear your cache or something?

BluWacky

Is this the kind of game where you unlock abilities and go back or should I keep trying to get every cube in every zone I reach using the revolving mechanic?

You don't gain any further abilities, but you might find clues to things you've passed previously. So you're not limited "physically", just "mentally".

Game just quit to dashboard when I tried to look at the leaderboards.

I just wanted to know what the hell kind of leaderboards this game would even have...

I'm a whiny little bitch when it comes to little technical flaws like that, so I'm pretty sure I'd notice it and let it drive me insane, but my game doesn't do that. Maybe clear your cache or something?

I'll try that and report back. The stuttering was impossible not to notice when I played.

You don't gain any further abilities, but you might find clues to things you've passed previously. So you're not limited "physically", just "mentally".
I figured as much when I ran into the totem and the solution was to grab it, but thanks.

Has anyone figured out what to do in the monocle portrait room and the engine room in the very first area? They're marked as secrets but I went in there, asked myself WTF and left. It's not as easy as just spinning and seeing a door you didn't see before or something like in other rooms...

Feep

Banned
I figured as much when I ran into the totem and the solution was to grab it, but thanks.

Has anyone figured out what to do in the monocle portrait room and the engine room in the very first area? They're marked as secrets but I went in there, asked myself WTF and left. It's not as easy as just spinning and seeing a door you didn't see before or something like in other rooms...
The engine room is one of the two anticubes I haven't achieved. I understand a LOT about that room, but apparently not enough. Maybe one of you intrepid lads will assist me one day shortly. = D

Don't worry about it for now. Trust me.

Daeda

IN the monocle room you can enter another room through the fireplace (if Im thinking of the right room. Havent been able to figure out the engine room yet though

The engine room is one of the two anticubes I haven't achieved. I understand a LOT about that room, but apparently not enough. Maybe one of you intrepid lads will assist me one day shortly. = D

I don't know if it's a bug or not, but if you rotate while "behind" the boiler (engine?) you can walk outside the environment (and fall to your death).

Timan

Developer
Game has crashed twice so far on me, kicked me to the dash, and whats weird is it does it in a like in game way :/

Zeppelin

The game just crashed and returned to the dashboard. Nice. I don't think I've ever had that happen to me. The programming really is janky in this game. The collision detection, among other things, fucking sucks. The tetris piece puzzle almost drove me mad because of it.

Traversing the world is pretty tedious, way too slow. Dying from falling is annoying. This game is a mess.

Game has crashed twice so far on me, kicked me to the dash, and whats weird is it does it in a like in game way :/

How so?

Resilient

Re: Tetris piece puzzle -
Are you meant to make the Tetris pieces shown on each perspective out of the 4 blocks given to you? If so, damnit, I tried that for ages and nothing was happening. What's supposed to happen! This game is so open!

Just checked out the achievements, I recommend you check em out guys! There is a pretty funny one in there that'll make you laugh :p

Zeppelin

Re: Tetris piece puzzle -
Are you meant to make the Tetris pieces shown on each perspective out of the 4 blocks given to you? If so, damnit, I tried that for ages and nothing was happening. What's supposed to happen! This game is so open!

Yes. You'll know when you get it right. Pro tip:
Imagine a 3x3 grid on top of the platform.

Resilient

Yes. You'll know when you get it right. Pro tip:
Imagine a 3x3 grid on top of the platform.

I'm making the shapes but nothings happening...getting the feeling I'm missing something. What do you mean by 3x3 grid on top of the platform?

BluWacky

Can't get my xbox to connect to my router- incredibly annoying.

Can you hook it up via an ethernet cable? My 360 started doing this a few months ago and it drives me mad - I suspect it's because my flatmate has one as well which always manages to connect but I have no technical basis for this.

Odrion

Banned
RT, RT, LT, RT RT, LT, LT, LT.

What does it all mean?!

Anyways, eight cubes and one anti-cube in and this game is uh. pleasant. Feels a little like that indie game on the PC where you don't really do anything but hop around and collect stuff. This game seems to exist not for the puzzles, but for the player to take in the really nice scenery and chiptune Brian Eno music (some of this stuff sounds like direct retrograde versions of Evening Star and Discreet Music tracks.)

But yeah, the normal puzzles do not engage your mind on an active level at all. I ran into a anti-cube room, and that puzzle was somewhat tricky. But outside of that? Eh. You either run to the end of your path and rotate until a new path appears, or you figure out what you need to do at first glance.

Some of the animations are really, really slow. Phil! I thought in all of your Japanese game hating you'd think that you shouldn't prioritize animation over action. Entering doors is really slow, picking up and dropping stuff is really slow (and it makes that first anti-cube puzzle fucking tedious), receiving items or completing cubes is really slow, climbing is hilariously slow. It's like sometimes the game wants you to stop playing to appreciate how pretty it is.

But it is pretty, and it sounds pretty, and all in all it's very relaxing. The sort of game you want to play on a rainy day.

Rikkun

RT RT, LT, RT RT, LT, LT, LT.

What does it all mean?!

Anyways, eight cubes and 1 anti-cube in and this game is uh. pleasant. Feels a little like that indie game on the PC where you don't really do anything but hop around and collect stuff. Take in the really nice scenery and chiptune Brian Eno music (some of this stuff sounds like direct retrograde versions of Evening Star and Discreet Music tracks.)

But yeah, the normal puzzles do not engage your mind on an active level at all. I ran into a anti-cube room, and that puzzle was somewhat tricky. But outside of that? Eh. You either end to the end of your path and rotate until a new path appears, or you figure out what you need to do at first glance.

Some of the animations are really, really slow. Phil! I thought in all of your Japanese game hating you'd think that you shouldn't prioritize animation over action. Entering doors is really slow, picking up and dropping stuff is really slow, receiving items or completing cubes is really slow, climbing is hilariously slow.

Wow, I put that code in randomly and gave me an anticube.

Thanks I guess!

Yamibito

Can you hook it up via an ethernet cable? My 360 started doing this a few months ago and it drives me mad - I suspect it's because my flatmate has one as well which always manages to connect but I have no technical basis for this.

Yeah going to go ahead and try this when I get back- that or bridge it through my pc.

Somebody who has played it please explain:
What are the artifact cubes for? I see a stone pillar with some strange cube shapes on it, but I'm uncertain as to how I can use it, if at all (seen as it's "used for writing". Perhaps they are just collectibles?

Top Bottom