• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Forgive me for making YET ANOTHER Mario Kart topic, a deluge that I myself have contributed to.

With the journos who already have the game (Kobun, Toasty, myself, MarkMacD, etc) looking to GAF to talk about the game and members with lots of questions, I thought it would be better to make the official topic now and let the others slowly die.

If it wasn't so late I'd make this first post a compendium of knowledge, complete with screenshots, etc. Instead you get a simple FAQ. This isn't like "corporate factsheet" Qs though... its more the Qs that I've seen come up on GAF repeatedly. In fact, we can use this as a Q & A topic prerelease.

Online play - sup?
-4 player races are all that's available for online play. No battle mode, no 8P races.
-Not all courses are available. Basically ones with moving parts (traffic, etc) aren't available. 20+ are, however.
-No dragging items.
-All characters and karts selectable, although many will have to be unlocked through 1P
-MOST IMPORTANTLY, online play is still a hell of a lot of fun. Do you know how tempting it is to have my DS bedside, now? I know that within seconds I can be up and racing possibily Konno himself. Just one quick online GP before bed... yeah right. Everyone already knows that 8P local wireless is where Mario Kart is at... it's the most fun I've had gaming in a long time. Online play provides added value, not primary value.

Tell me about the new tracks.

By and large I like the new tracks a lot. Actually, I like the old tracks a lot too. Although there are exceptions, a general rule of thumb would be that the new tracks feature more crazy-ass gimmicks and zany setups, while the old tracks are more technical with S-curves, etc.

I think my personal favorites of the new batch and Peach's Garden and... I think its called Shroom Highway. Peach's Garden features a hedge maze complete with roving chain chomps, and several sections with flowers thatcan be turboed through for a shortcut. Shroom Highway is basically a course with a lot of turns and a lot of traffic, which leads to a lot of fun.

Mission mode?

The game isn't really "about" mission mode... it's another example of added value instead of primary value. There's 60 missions, most taking literally seconds to complete. I had completed all 60 very quickly... in just a couple of hours. Most on my first try. The challenge comes from trying to get the highest rank for each mission. Beating levels with Cs is easy; beating levels with ***s isn't.

Is it worth it if I'll mostly be playing single player?

I think that for the majority of gamers the answer is yes. An all-night session of 6-8 player mario kart switching between battle and race is probably one of the most purely enjoyable gaming experiences one will ever experience, and makes MKDS a toss-up for best game released for the system...

...So without that experience, its obviously a shame you're left with battle adjustable bots, but at least the game HAS bots for battle. The game has 32 tracks, time trials for each (with unlockable staff ghosts), the aforementioned mission mode, and a grand prix with 8 cups and 3 (4th unlockable?) speeds. Granted I haven't played every DS game, but in my opinion Mario Kart is the largest game released for the system. It certainly has more on the little chip than any of its predecessors.

GDJustin

demi said:
Why are you explaining if we should buy it for SP?

Because its a question I have a lot? I get to do very little multiplayer gaming.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
GDJustin said:
The game has 32 tracks, time trials for each (with unlockable staff ghosts)
Do the staff ghosts stay unlocked or do you have to unlock them each time you play like in MK: DD!!?

rod

Banned
finally the official topic :D ami, plz sticky. or anyone.

i havent been so excited for a game in a long time. and its all because of online. anyone who has played it online, how does it run? is the lag minimal?

GDJustin

marc^o^ said:
What about the music, is it good?

The music is pretty (IE entirely) forgettable. Its inoffensive enough, though. I was just playing the game before making this topic, and I had to think hard after reading your post to even recall enough about the music to have something to say about it.

GDJustin

-I haven't unlocked any staff ghosts (haven't touched time trial). But I would imagine they'll stay unlocked? You can also send/recieve ghost data via local wifi.

EDIT: A cool bit is that on the bottem map screen you can see a ghost's exact line, color coded for when they're boosting, powersliding, etc.

-I've experienced no lag online. I would imagine that's why its limited to 4P. I'm sure nintendo had 6-8P running at some point, but with 4 they were confident they could keep it stable. Just my speculation.

-The hop is back.

Drensch

These should be added to this thread:
Nintendowifi.com
routers1sx.jpg

Dongle impressions by Toasty Frog

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Do you think the graphics do the job well? Other racers are plagued with pixellisation on the DS. What about this one?

rod

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Do you think the graphics do the job well? Other racers are plagued with pixellisation on the DS. What about this one?

all ds games have pixellisation, so dont expect mk not to, in saying that it looks awesome from the direct feeds i saw

Kon Tiki

Banned
This question is partly dongle related, mostly PC related. Can you have 2 connection bridge to your outside line? I have 2 NICs in my PC already, one for internet the other for Xbox (XBMC specifically), if I add the dongle, can have both the DS and Xbox bridged through the main NIC?

Rlan

As requested in the other topic, all the current artwork *I* can find, is over at my site:

http://vgaa.emulationzone.org

Easy to find from there :)

If anyone has any other artwork from the game, please send to to me! :)

Also, anyone willing to make a list of all non-playable levels?

marc^o^

Does it scream million seller? Does anyone know if Nintendo is planning to advertize it heavily?

Drensch

WGR614v5 here.. yessss, compatibility problems!! :| This sucks.
Same here. Iwas planning on getting the dongle anyways, but I'd like to be able to use my router too. Hopefully it works.

awesome work on the hi-res stuff Rlan! now just to find that racing on the globe one. I saw a little POP display in my city the other day of it and i just have to have it! :)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
marc^o^ said:
Does it scream million seller? Does anyone know if Nintendo is planning to advertize it heavily?

It should, and Nintendo should.

Mario Kart was the 2nd best selling game this gen and last gen. I think it will do a million, easily.

demi

I will probably get a penisdongle, though maybe I should get a wireless just so I don't have to keep running ICS across two PCs

Does anybody know if this game will be available for less than $34.82 anywhere? All of the online retailers seem to have it listed for the premium $35 price. (Yes, I know about the BB coupon trick.)

demi

Outpost has it for $24 + S&H, which really isn't much of a deal anyway so yeah you're fucked in fact we're all fucked the end

antipode

How does setting up an online game with friends on your friends list work - is there chat with your friends in the lobby? If you are not all in the lobby at the same time, can you notify a friend who's doing something else (like playing a worldwide game) that you're ready to play?

Justin any chance of a list of the courses that don't make online play?

Oh and just curious about the standard of driving, you come accross any insane drivers yet?

Borys

Banned
That's like the worst Official GAME_NAME Thread ever. No pics, no pricing, no box art shot, no nothing :/

marc^o^

Is the game as good as it is said to be? Like the best Mario Kart ever? competing against 7 friends, how does the game keep track of the losses/victories? Is there a classement at the end of a cup?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
demi said:
Outpost has it for $24 + S&H, which really isn't much of a deal anyway so yeah you're fucked in fact we're all fucked the end

Well, it should be that price in-stores as well, for we lucky ones that live near a Fry's. :D

Mofo

Best new track BY FAR: Waluigi Pinball.

Imagine racing through a working pinball machine - while someone is playing pinball! It's really a rush when you're heading down the big board with two giant steel balls ready to collide in front of you... just incredible. The track even has enviroment-specific sounds - pass someone and you'll hear a bonus chime like you're racking up a high score... pretty darn neat.

Really all the new tracks are just divine. Quite a few remind me almost of Disney rides. Luigi's Mansion is another fave. This is, by leaps and bounds, the most polished DS game to date, such a complete experience.

marc^o^

Mofo said:
This is, by leaps and bounds, the most polished DS game to date, such a complete experience.

Gameplay mechanics in Mario Kart are unmatched since the SNES version. Too bad we had to suffer from so so N64 & GC incarnations. From what I hear, this DS version could very well become the best party game ever. Bringing back the series to its roots is the best thing Nintendo could do: I know three friends of mine who will buy the DS for this game after the previews they read about it. Can't wait to get a hand on it.

heavenly

Wario Stadium looks* worse than the N64 version? Maybe removing the shortcuts in the N64 version was too difficult? I'm going to miss that cliff hanger. And the series of small hills where you could jump em' like dirt bikes.

* NOTE: Since I haven't played it, I can't comment on how it plays. Maybe it play better, hopefully.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
demi said:
Or those of us who have our own Fry's middlemen. :D

You know, I'm seriously pondering starting threads JUST to collect cash from folks who want to take advantage of Fry's deals, then buying the games in bulk.

SantaC

holy shit. I should preorder the game today but it's already sold out at tronix :(

this game will be huge.

Top Bottom