• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaand my fear that CN is trying to sink the show is back. Networks don't pull this kind of fuckery unless they're up to something. The only times I have ever seen them pull same day schedule changes like this is if they're intentionally trying to tank a show. It's stuff like this that killed shows like Sym-bionic Titan and almost sank Avatar: The Last Air Bender and Korra too.

And if they do tank SU, I'm sure they'll pull the 'we can't sell mech of it' card that they always use even thought that's a load of bull. Apparently they couldn't figure out how to make toys of a freaking giant robot show.

I think the fact that SU is getting a console game this year puts me at ease about the show's future. CN's scheduling is utterly abysmal though. They are literally only airing Teen Titans Go, Gumball, and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs for the entirety of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. SU gets a single airing all week, but Adventure Time doesn't have ANY episodes airing at all.

They're willing to air 20-30 hours of TTG reruns, but can't risk putting almost any other show during the day.

Hopefully Save the Light sells well enough and they realize (again) that there's an older audience willing to buy merch and related media for the show.

Been catching up with the last couple of episodes. The Tiger Philanthropist was quite good, and it was nice to revisit Steven and Amethyst's wrestling alter-egos.

Can't wait for Room For Ruby.

I think the fact that SU is getting a console game this year puts me at ease about the show's future. CN's scheduling is utterly abysmal though. They are literally only airing Teen Titans Go, Gumball, and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs for the entirety of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. SU gets a single airing all week, but Adventure Time doesn't have ANY episodes airing at all.

They're willing to air 20-30 hours of TTG reruns, but can't risk putting almost any other shoe during the day.

Hopefully Save the Light sells well enough and they realize (again) that there's an older audience willing to buy merch and related media for the show.

CN's constantly been like that. They try way too hard to push TTG, even if it supposedly they're most popular show, that it affects the scheduling all of the other shows. It sucks!

Rasamune

Neo Member
Aaand my fear that CN is trying to sink the show is back. Networks don't pull this kind of fuckery unless they're up to something. The only times I have ever seen them pull same day schedule changes like this is if they're intentionally trying to tank a show. It's stuff like this that killed shows like Sym-bionic Titan and almost sank Avatar: The Last Air Bender and Korra too.

And if they do tank SU, I'm sure they'll pull the 'we can't sell mech of it' card that they always use even thought that's a load of bull. Apparently they couldn't figure out how to make toys of a freaking giant robot show.

It's not great, but it's also not worth stressing oneself out about. There's nothing we can do about this but to keep watching, and we were all going to do that anyway

Steven Universe's new episode getting pushed back in favor for trash like TTG is just incredibly obnoxious. As if that fucking show needs MORE timeslots.

Zubz

Banned
I still have... theories.

We know that Steven is capable of possessing the bodies of others. We also know that he has a significant mental connection to at least one of the Diamonds- it was only him who cried along with Blue, after all. A lot of the powers that Steven, and by extension Rose, has been exhibiting seem well beyond the scope of a Quartz- why would a warrior gem need healing powers, the ability to possess others, or the ability to bring life, and why have legendary Quartzes like Jasper never shown a fraction of these powers?

Here's a few hypotheticals- what if Pink Diamond, the most junior Diamond in the authority, fell in love with life on Earth to the extent that she'd be willing to fight for it? What if she felt that being a Diamond put her in an impossible position, and the Earth couldn't be saved if she was still on the scene? What if she had a Rose Quartz who was loyal enough to give up her identity? What if Pink Diamond utilised the enormous powers of the Diamonds to take control of said Rose Quartz and shatter her previous form, galvanising the rebellion and enabling her to fight without all the baggage that comes with being a Diamond? What if she passed that power on to a human, who gets to live life while wielding the power of a Diamond?

I'm still on the Rose is Pink Diamond train. It's the theory that best fits the information we have.

Didn't we hear Pink Diamond already, though? I mean, who else would that voice on the Zoo have been?

Room for Ruby has been pushed back half-an-hour to 7:30pm EST tonight. Yup, we literally just found this out the day the episode is airing.

Why would a network ever do anything like this unless they're playing a live event that runs long.

TheOGB

Banned
Didn't we hear Pink Diamond already, though? I mean, who else would that voice on the Zoo have been?
If you're implying that a PD-possessed Rose Quartz should have PD's voice, remember that it wasn't Steven's voice coming out of Lars or Watermelon Steven.

beaten

Why would a network ever do anything like this unless they're playing a live event that runs long.

Apparently, they decided to replace this week's regular SU airing with the Teen Titans Go/Powerpuff Girls crossover.

You know, a rerun of an episode that first aired back in June 2016.

I feel bad for any Steven Universe fan that tuned in at 7pm without knowing about the change and found this episode instead. Hopefully they've aired at least one commercial telling people there's a new episode at 7:30pm.

Whoa!
images.jpg

Ooh, boy. Here we go.

The Rubies are back in play, and are presumably heading back to Homeworld to tell everyone what happened on Earth. Between that and Yellow Diamond talking about snatching humans for the zoo, things might be falling into place for the finale.

In one episode, we get:

- The return of the Ruby Squad (or at least one of them) from space
- A much-needed focus on Lapis' character development and confirmation that her mental health issues have not just disappeared
- Another giant rejection of Steven's willingness to welcome former enemies into the fold
- A massive development to the overall plot that could mean potential doom for the Earth

This is about as far away from filler that you can get. This is definitely the beginning of the season finale arc. It's also possibly the beginning of a
Lapis
arc just like the Season 3 finale arc focused heavily on Amethyst.

iosefe

This is about as far away from filler that you can get. This is definitely the beginning of the season finale arc. It's also possibly the beginning of a
Lapis
arc just like the Season 3 finale arc focused heavily on Amethyst.

and we know how that ended

:D

No with a fusion.

I fully expect for Lapis and Peridot to be each other's first fusion. It'd be a surprise if it's Steven and Lapis who fuse, but a big part of Lapis' development would be her finally being comfortable in a fusion with someone she trusts. I think it's more fulfilling from a narrative standpoint if she's placing that trust in Peridot, who is another gem, rather than Steven.

That being said, let's not get crazy, it's still Amedot > Lapidot for me lol.

That was a great episode.
Good, interesting angle to take with Lapis. Some lines of hers were awkward but I liked it overall.

I have to say, though, it was strange how the CGs remained seemingly relaxed about this. This was not a good outcome for them and the consequences could be way worse.

Relatedly, I have been wondering about something for a long time. If Garnet can see things like Blue Diamond's arrival on earth, Peridot's marble robots around the world, and the location of Gem monsters, why have the CGs been able to remain hidden for so long when HW has their own Sapphires with their own future vision powers?

You could say that the future vision is limited by so and so, but I think the usual so and sos thrown around like geographic distance would not be big issues given Gem advanced technology.

Future vision has helped the CGs a lot in the series. I'm interested in seeing future vision used against them.

MartyStu

Good, interesting angle to take with Lapis. Some lines of hers were awkward but I liked it overall.

I have to say, though, it was strange how the CGs remained seemingly relaxed about this. This was not a good outcome for them and the consequences could be way worse.

Relatedly, I have been wondering about something for a long time. If Garnet can see things like Blue Diamond's arrival on earth, Peridot's marble robots around the world, and the location of Gem monsters, why have the CGs been able to remain hidden for so long when HW has their own Sapphires with their own future vision powers?

You could say that the future vision is limited by so and so, but I think the usual so and sos thrown around like geographic distance would not be big issues given Gem advanced technology.

Future vision has helped the CGs a lot in the series. I'm interested in seeing future vision used against them.

Hmm, one possibility is that future vision may require some amount of personal involvement/stake in order to be useful.

Future vision works differently for Sapphires than it does with Garnet iirc. Not that that really means much, but it is some explanation.

Hmm, one possibility is that future vision may require some amount of personal involvement/stake in order to be useful.

I think at the very least that a gem using future vision would need to know what exactly they should be thinking about. Garnet couldn't forsee Pearl deceiving her in Cry for Help because she was using her future vision to look for Peridot, not Pearl. She also couldn't have predicted the fucked-up forced gem fusions from Keeping It Together. Garnet's future vision is different from a Sapphire's. But we can see during "Here Comes a Thought" that our Sapphire is still constantly englufed by thoughts of endless possibilities.

A Homeworld Sapphire would need to have some sort of knowledge about the Crystal Gems and Earth in order to start predicting things, I think. As far as nearly every single Gem on Homeworld knows, the Cluster is about to explode on Earth. Steven bubbling the Cluster and basically making it an ally is something highly unpredictable that a Sapphire wouldn't have picked up on.

If a single Ruby can change fate in a moment of passion in The Answer, then a half-human/half-gem should definitely throw things for a loop. Nobody on Homeworld even knows that Steven exists, much less that he's the offspring/reincarnation of Rose Quartz. The only gems with that knowledge are the Crystal Gems, Jasper, and Eyeball...
the latter of whom may end up being picked up by Navy in the Roaming Eye very soon. Shit's going down.

I fully expect for Lapis and Peridot to be each other's first fusion. It'd be a surprise if it's Steven and Lapis who fuse, but a big part of Lapis' development would be her finally being comfortable in a fusion with someone she trusts. I think it's more fulfilling from a narrative standpoint if she's placing that trust in Peridot, who is another gem, rather than Steven.

That being said, let's not get crazy, it's still Amedot > Lapidot for me lol.

I thought Peridot and Garnet fused off screen at the ene of season 3?

Garnet's multiple-probability Future Vision is unique because of what Ruby brings to the table. Sapphire's only has a single "timeline", so to speak, and its accuracy is inversely proportional to how active a participant Sapphire is in her own life. Hence her vision in The Answer being inaccurate (because she became Garnet) and Sapphire saying that "playing it straight" was going to fail during Gem Heist / That Will Be All (Ruby's assurance let her make something up for Blue Diamond that wouldn't get them killed / Sapphire in general being an active participant in the heist).

Garnet's also said before that she actively had to "search" for things via Future Vision, and if she wasn't looking in the right place nothing would turn up ("so this is why I couldn't see us finding Peridot!"). While Sapphires seemingly don't have any limits on the knowledge disclosed to them (hence Yellow Diamond openly asking Sapphire if the Cluster had emerged and expecting her to know what it was), they probably have to have some frame of reference to be able to sniff the Crystal Gems out, and know our bunch on top of that.

Just caught up from the last 3 episodes.

I actually enjoyed Rocknaldo to a degree. Ronaldo can be a bit grating at times but he's really just different in a way Steven isn't quite used to.

Tiger Philanthropist was great. You could tell the writers were just having a blast thinking up these wrestlers. It's also a good character moment for Steven and Amethyst.

Room for Ruby was really good though. Steven's good heart really can be a bad judge of character at times. Lapis definitely hasn't adjusted comfortably to her current situation.

Honestly I just want a Peridot/Lapis fusion for the finale at this point.

Mesousa

Banned
To be honest they should just rename Cartoon Network TTGN. Teen titans go is really the only thing that matters to them at this point. I also doubt they know what to do with SU at this point too.

KiN0

That was a real nice episode. but I hoped steven would have been a little more suspicious considering everything that's happened so far.

doop_

Banned
That was a really great episode. I don't have a problem with "filler" it is just that i do not really give a damn about most of the people in Beach City. If the "filler" focused more on the Gems or their interactions with other humans maybe i would enjoy the less plot heavy episodes more.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Don't really watch CN outside of SU so thought you guys were exaggerating a bit about the whole TTG Network thing but holy shit you guys weren't kidding.

That's nuts.

Puruzi

Banned
I wouldn't mind if they spammed the channel with Gumball or something else that was actually good but TTG is just awful.

caliph95

Don't really watch CN outside of SU so thought you guys were exaggerating a bit about the whole TTG Network thing but holy shit you guys weren't kidding.

That's nuts.

PPg crashed and burn didn't it.
It's sad that JLAction is getting left to die while TTG get half a day or reruns.

That's nuts.

Oh sweet Christmas, it's actually even worse than that. That's the old schedule from this week. They actually updated it at the last moment, now with even less SU and overall variety.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/850a6df3247a1f7c772f7038ccfce055/tumblr_omlksjmuZ41w60vv7o1_1280.png

SU fans were actually happy that we got some sort of reruns for the show, and the schedule didn't even last a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom