• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Got myself a Hori fighting commander. The d-pad is a lot better than the original PCE controllers, but I wish the buttons would be a bit tighter. I wonder if there's a rubber replacement kit for the PCE since there are several for NES, SNES or the Megadrive?

SNAP!

I also just picked up the HFC, strange how I never even knew they existed till a while back - and I've been into the PC Engine for ages.

Couple of year back I thought the only non 6 button pads apart from the Duo ones were the avenue ones.

I got an Avenue pad, but it was in a right state, had to dismantle and clean it thoroughtly, even then I thought the DPad wasn't perfect on that.

Anyway, as I said I got a HFC and at first I was over the moon thinking that this was the perfect SFII pad, but even the DPad on mine is not as good as the SNES pads for some reason.

In addition, when I use mine on my LT it keeps randomly mixing up button presses. It's only the LT that this plays up on, as it works fine on my Duo and Core Grafx.

Anyway, interesting to see if you can bash the snes upgrade bits to fit inthe PCE HFC.

(crossposting from pickups thread) I mentioned it a few pages back but after a lifetime of dreaming/planning I finally had the chance to visit Japan for two weeks last month. Aside from exploring and enjoying all Tokyo had to offer, I spent a considerable amount of time hunting down some games that've been on my hitlist for years. (Apologies in advance for the horrible Iphone pic quality). Among all the games/systems I really wanted to focus on PC Engine and was amazed by how cheap these games are (compared to fleabay) even in Tokyo. The claim that Tokyo is a dearth for deals is categorically false.

19692272_1574897912523179_1115052913_n_zpsaynfa3tp.jpg

piggychan

(crossposting from pickups thread) I mentioned it a few pages back but after a lifetime of dreaming/planning I finally had the chance to visit Japan for two weeks last month. Aside from exploring and enjoying all Tokyo had to offer, I spent a considerable amount of time hunting down some games that've been on my hitlist for years. (Apologies in advance for the horrible Iphone pic quality). Among all the games/systems I really wanted to focus on PC Engine and was amazed by how cheap these games are (compared to fleabay) even in Tokyo. The claim that Tokyo is a dearth for deals is categorically false.

nice catch!

That early Namco game Yokai Dochuki is one of my faves but it's quite hard and unforgiving and requires some luck to advance. Anyway somehow that game doesn't like having a multi tap plugged in when playing as you will just get a blank screen.

You should have tried to grab; Kyukyoku Tiger and Hana Taka Daka?! space invaders Fukkatsu while you was over there :p

nice catch!

That early Namco game Yokai Dochuki is one of my faves but it's quite hard and unforgiving and requires some luck to advance. Anyway somehow that game doesn't like having a multi tap plugged in when playing as you will just get a blank screen.

You should have tried to grab; Kyukyoku Tiger and Hana Taka Daka?! space invaders Fukkatsu while you was over there :p

Yeah alot of these games were utterly brutal on first boot and I'm glad many of the designers allowed future generations to be scrubs with cheats but unfortunately that lil Namco sidescroller is not one of them :(. I actually did find a good conditioned Kyukyoku Tiger and decided to put it back on the shelf...regretting it hard.

the cabbage guy?

hmmm I haven't tried any of these but you wanna be guinnea pig ?

amazon may have some more but these caught my eye
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004R75OF8/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009ANUPL2/

The ones from that second link arrived, but they were no good as the Hucard's are a bit too thick.

Not gonna bother with the first yet, think i'll just go to that ebay seller, and I'll find out if / how much postage to the UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112256000563?clk_rvr_id=1249639420597&rmvSB=true

Teknoman

I still need cases and manuals for Jackie Chan, 1942 Kai, and Valkyrie. Hell i'd get repro cases/manuals at this point, I just dont like loose cards.

D.Lo

Just discovered this Youtube channel covering PC Engine games

Gradius is better than the arcade version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iooIFS9rJ08

"Can you imagine?"
Lol

FYI everyone, it's pronounced Gra-dee-uss, confirmed in-game in IV. Gu-rah-di-u-su in Japanese. I always used to say Grade-ius.

EDIT: Interesting I just looked it up, and the male voice in Gradius Gaiden says Gra di is, and The female voice says Grade-ius lol.

Bithead 1000 is pretty funny, I like to watch his vids every now and then, just my sense of humour.

With that said, not keen on him ragging on that guy that bought out some yard sale ahead of him one time - bearing in mind he has no qualms in ripping off grannies by paying pennies for stuff he sells on.

jetsaito

Having some trouble with trying to fix my PC Engine Duo I got from Ebay from a Japanese modder, but it seems like the left channel is blown out. Didn't want to go through shipping it back so tried to see if I could fix it. Ordered some new caps for it and tried replacing them even further but it didn't seem to fix the problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ2uJBo86C4 here's a video of the issue of the audio problem. Also to specify, tested with both the cables it came with, as well as the headphone jack built in, and the audio problem persist still.

ACESmkII

Having some trouble with trying to fix my PC Engine Duo I got from Ebay from a Japanese modder, but it seems like the left channel is blown out. Didn't want to go through shipping it back so tried to see if I could fix it. Ordered some new caps for it and tried replacing them even further but it didn't seem to fix the problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ2uJBo86C4 here's a video of the issue of the audio problem. Also to specify, tested with both the cables it came with, as well as the headphone jack built in, and the audio problem persist still.

I would recommend reaching out to someone on the Pcenginefx.com in the PCE repair/mod discussion. Hopefully somebody can sort that out for you.

eXistor

In a related news, apparently Doujindance has changed the way he does mods now due to feedback, which is commandable.

I wish I knew about his shitty mods before I bought one off him a few years back. I've never really had any problems with it so far, but I guess it's just a matter of time.

ACESmkII

In a related news, apparently Doujindance has changed the way he does mods now due to feedback, which is commandable.

Luckily I purchased one of his newer mods and it has worked stellar.

The only issue I had was the left channel audio not working do to the RGB cable it was shipped with. He kindly sent me a replacement cable via EMS for free and I have had no issues since.

IrishNinja

I wish I knew about his shitty mods before I bought one off him a few years back. I've never really had any problems with it so far, but I guess it's just a matter of time.

yeah, again mine works great after Keith courages help but I wanna say audio still drops on some discs sometimes
it's a finnicky system

Has anyone here had their Turbo Express repaired and modded by Keith Courage? He did an amazing job fixing and modding my Turbo Duo last summer, my TE has been dead for several years now (first the sound died and then the screen got two dead pixels then gradually stopped displaying, just get black screen now with the dead pixels lit up) and was thinking of sending it to him. I assume it can be resurrected with new capacitors and a good cleaning, will also get it modded for PCE Hucards. Also, does he only do new LCD screens for his TE repairs or does he do TE screen swaps (I'd prefer to keep playing on a genuine TE/GT display)? I'll probably be contacting him soon but figured I'd try to get some feedback here too first.

Edit: Anyone have the link to his Facebook/repair page? Can't seem to find it anymore.

One thing I've noticed on my Keith Courage modded Duo that concerns me is that when using it with s-video (it's modded for RGB/SCART but I don't have a suitable RGB display yet) is once in awhile the video will only display in black in white unless I reconnect my s-video cord to the back of the system, anyone else with a Keith Courage Duo run into this? Maybe just a cable/connection issue on my end I hope?

piggychan

One thing I've noticed on my Keith Courage modded Duo that concerns me is that when using it with s-video (it's modded for RGB/SCART but I don't have a suitable RGB display yet) is once in awhile the video will only display in black in white unless I reconnect my s-video cord to the back of the system, anyone else with a Keith Courage Duo run into this? Maybe just a cable/connection issue on my end I hope?

I don't think I can help here but kinda hard to say.. this might be a situation where you might have to try several s-vdeo leads. I had a core grafx modded by Keith and I asked him to add s-video to it. Both my main TVs a plasma and one LCD both give black and white images and unfortunately my BVM has died so I can't test it on there however I get a fantastic color and stable image when it's hooked to my elgato capture device.

EDIT

I can only find old threads about this but it seems like a lot of people have this black and white problem and the only way that seemed to solve it was moving connections around, the wires the the connection points on the s-video lead..

I don't think I can help here but kinda hard to say.. this might be a situation where you might have to try several s-vdeo leads. I had a core grafx modded by Keith and I asked him to add s-video to it. Both my main TVs a plasma and one LCD both give black and white images and unfortunately my BVM has died so I can't test it on there however I get a fantastic color and stable image when it's hooked to my elgato capture device.

EDIT

I can only find old threads about this but it seems like a lot of people have this black and white problem and the only way that seemed to solve it was moving connections around, the wires the the connection points on the s-video lead..

Until I get around to obtaining proper RGB solution I'm currently using it on my 2007 1080p Hitachi plasma with s-video (guessing it was long before they stopped including s-video on HDTVs). Reinserting the s-video cord into the back of the Duo itself (which is where he added the s-video port) fixed it instantly like I said in my last post so not too concerned as long as it doesn't happen often. Thanks for the reply, I feel better for now. :)

piggychan

Until I get around to obtaining proper RGB solution I'm currently using it on my 2007 1080p Hitachi plasma with s-video (guessing it was long before they stopped including s-video on HDTVs). Reinserting the s-video cord into the back of the Duo itself (which is where he added the s-video port) fixed it instantly like I said in my last post so not too concerned as long as it doesn't happen often. Thanks for the reply, I feel better for now. :)

Does your TV have a dedicated s-video input ? I've been retesting things... Most UK TVs have euro scart connections so to connect s-video we usually have to connect the s-video input to euro scart connector and then usually it goes into AV port 2 which is normally for composite or s-video. Now my default settings for AV2 the image is black and white but I have the option to select a different input which is s-video and the image goes full color. Is your TV similar ?

Does your TV have a dedicated s-video input ? I've been retesting things... Most UK TVs have euro scart connections so to connect s-video we usually have to connect the s-video input to euro scart connector and then usually it goes into AV port 2 which is normally for composite or s-video. Now my default settings for AV2 the image is black and white but I have the option to select a different input which is s-video and the image goes full color. Is your TV similar ?

This is an American TV so there is no SCART input, the s-video input is dedicated.

Edit: Btw really jealous of you U.K./EU folks with your SCART TVs. :p

Conezays

So I've heard varying reports about Doujindance's mods. Is it fine to order from him at this point? Also, is the issue with Everdrive compatibility fixed? Thanks for any info; it's kind of hard to find anything definitive. I already have a Core Grafx with RGB cable but some of the CD games have me tempted, lol.

Seems response is generally positive in the past couple months?

Update: Went ahead and made an offer :p

Conezays

Went ahead and ordered one. Will certainly update with impressions upon receiving, for better or for worse. Really excited to finally play Rondo of Blood on original hardware in RGB.

eXistor

Been eyeing this one for a few years and finally decided to get it. You think every time you get one on your want-list that you're closer to having everything you want, but then more and more games start popping up. It's a viscious cycle I tells ya.

EfCTk7k.jpg

Went ahead and ordered one. Will certainly update with impressions upon receiving, for better or for worse. Really excited to finally play Rondo of Blood on original hardware in RGB.
I loved the game on Virtual Console and picked up an original copy a while later. I won't say it's night and day, but I could never go back to playing it on VC. It's just such a boon to play it with razor-sharp RGB on original hardware and no lag.

Conezays

Received my doujindance RGB Turbo Duo a couple days ago. No complaints thus far with his customer service or the system itself. Still waiting on Rondo of Blood to test the CD-ROM. The system works fine with my Turbo Everdrive as well (seems to have been a concern in the past). Will update once Rondo arrives. Thanks for the impressions, eXistor.

eXistor

Received my doujindance RGB Turbo Duo a couple days ago. No complaints thus far with his customer service or the system itself. Still waiting on Rondo of Blood to test the CD-ROM. The system works fine with my Turbo Everdrive as well (seems to have been a concern in the past). Will update once Rondo arrives. Thanks for the impressions, eXistor.

Have fun, Rondo is so fucking great, truly one of the best games ever imo.

Conezays

Thanks, Shin Johnpv and eXistor. I definitely plan to check out the Ys games! Any other RPG recommendations? I'm also a pretty big shmup fan so looks like there's lots of stuff to check out beyond the (already impressive) regular PCE library.

Did anyone like Keith Courage? I remember getting it with my first Turbografx 16 and hated it, but that was 2 decades ago and I haven't played it since.

The only game I have now is Final Lap Twin...

eXistor

Thanks, Shin Johnpv and eXistor. I definitely plan to check out the Ys games! Any other RPG recommendations? I'm also a pretty big shmup fan so looks like there's lots of stuff to check out beyond the (already impressive) regular PCE library.

Maybe Legend of Xanadu II, which is very Ys-like (action rpg). Only in Japanese but it's cheap and if you use a faq you'll get through it no problem. From what I can see the story isn't anything special anyway.

Maybe Legend of Xanadu II, which is very Ys-like (action rpg). Only in Japanese but it's cheap and if you use a faq you'll get through it no problem. From what I can see the story isn't anything special anyway.

There's an English fan translation with an English Dub (even some pro voice actors recording for it) coming for Both Legend of Xanadu I and II. So I'd almost say wait on that.

Top Bottom