• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

The only Machinist I've played with since SB started was the one in my Susano EX party yesterday who kept placing the thundercloud attack in the safe zone during knockups.

iammeiam

I've run into a few here and there, but it seems to mostly be 3.0 backlash levels of MCH players. Lots while leveling, few at endgame. I'm hoping we get further tweaks on some of the remaining jobs with problem points as things progress, and if history repeats MCH will skyrocket in popularity then.

Another night, another 3 hours of tanks not having their cooldowns ready for evil sphere and healers killing the DPS with gravity burst-_-

Saw 1% way too many times

I've run into a few here and there, but it seems to mostly be 3.0 backlash levels of MCH players. Lots while leveling, few at endgame. I'm hoping we get further tweaks on some of the remaining jobs with problem points as things progress, and if history repeats MCH will skyrocket in popularity then.

I'm having a lot of fun and the heat shot animations are amazing, but I'm focusing my gearing up time/resources on my main ninja. I see lots of parties with MCH/BRD slots so at least there doesn't seem to be a stigma (on Alexander lol) which is nice.

Speaking of me playing Rdm, I just beat the floor 50 boss in potd. Is 28/28 aetherpool good enough for the 51-60 floors?

I got RDM to 51 and want to get it to level 61 so I can spam dungeons with a friend whose leveling pld atm.

I haven't got to bardam's mettle yet in SB but I have a level 70 DRK and have been using my 66 PLD to run through story but turns out one of my friends just told me hope on with his dungeons spams but I'm so atm till I level up rdm to 61.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Rot was a codeword for 'let the ranged deal with it', while I focused on the extremely difficult job of 'running out of a circle than back in'.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Pff what
MCH never skyrocketed in popularity
Even after rampant overbuffs it was still the least played job in the game
There was a lot of machinists at endgame for obvious reasons and even then finding a good one wasn't super easy

So I have a story question. Primals are basically Mass Effect Reapers since they can indoctrinate you right?

Like after I killed Ifrit, Thancred was all like 'lol we have to execute everyone involved except you because they are all mindless husks dedicated to worshiping Ifrit now'

So why is it after I killed Great King Moggle Mog XII -may his just and noble soul rest in peace- does the moggle tell me that his moggleguard basically got a stern talking to and nothing more? How come they didn't get indoctrinated, and if they did, why is it a good idea to just have them running around?

Cool, just got my security token removed. They said my account will be there. I'm level 50 on a bunch and missed the entire last expansion. How screwed am i? Where do I buy? Lol

Bowlie

Banned
Besides myself, I see 3 to 5 MCHs per week and I try to /bow to them for staying strong. Until Red Mage, it was the only ranged's concept I liked so I stuck with it.

Kenai

So I have a story question. Primals are basically Mass Effect Reapers since they can indoctrinate you right?

Like after I killed Ifrit, Thancred was all like 'lol we have to execute everyone involved except you because they are all mindless husks dedicated to worshiping Ifrit now'

So why is it after I killed Great King Moggle Mog XII -may his just and noble soul rest in peace- does the moggle tell me that his moggleguard basically got a stern talking to and nothing more? How come they didn't get indoctrinated, and if they did, why is it a good idea to just have them running around?

It's not 100% consistent but Primals have different attitudes on a lot of stuff depending on how they are summoned and by who due to personal interpretation of their legends and beliefs. In a nutshell Ifrit was a lot more about increasing the battle prowess of his followers by increasing their numbers (cause they had that dream in mind when wishing for him) vs the Mogglesguard who want people to leave and so probably weren't as interested in tempering/being tempered and just wanted him to push folks out of the forest (by force). You'll see more differences as time goes on in how they function (Shiva especially is a weird one).

MechaX

I haven't seen Machinists at all since Stormblood came out.

I'll probably level MCH because I have 1) Put it off forever, 2) Flushed $25 in the toilet using a jump potion on the job, so I had better damn well make it worth it.

I personally have a reverse HW scenario where there, I hated what they did with BRD and jump ship to SMN, but now I'm jumping ship from SMN because they made BRD really fun to play.

I'm hoping they can do something to salvage MCH.

I haven't seen any Machinists when raiding through PF this week or last week.. Everyone was Monk, Samurai, Red Mage or Black Mage.

I get kicked out of PFs just for being MCH. They don't even give me the chance to do ok DPS :(

I'll probably level MCH because I have 1) Put it off forever, 2) Flushed $25 in the toilet using a jump potion on the job, so I had better damn well make it worth it.

I personally have a reverse HW scenario where there, I hated what they did with BRD and jump ship to SMN, but now I'm jumping ship from SMN because they made BRD really fun to play.

I'm hoping they can do something to salvage MCH.

You used a jump potion on MCH? My condolences.

Tempering is one of those things that starts to matter less and less as the story goes on, mostly just brought up when the game wants to remind you why other people can't handle this threat. Don't think about how it works too much. And yeah, other primals are less apt to do it than Ifrit is.

Also, you wouldn't want to see the cute and fluffy moogles slaughtered, would you?
Yes you would.

iammeiam

I still think any PF with a no-MCH rule is a PF not worth joining. Like, it's shorthand for "I AM GOING TO MAKE A BUNCH OF BAD ASSUMPTIONS AND BLAME THE WRONG PEOPLE FOR MISTAKES"

Pff what
MCH never skyrocketed in popularity
Even after rampant overbuffs it was still the least played job in the game
There was a lot of machinists at endgame for obvious reasons and even then finding a good one wasn't super easy

It did, though. It was never particularly common, but MCH representation out and about in 3.4 was miles ahead of 3.0. Not just Savage--dungeons, PF, whatever. I don't even think it was necessarily people leveling it fresh at that point so much as people who had it and never used it finally taking it out for a trial run when Midas happened. The bard counter-buff blunted it a little but if they overbuff MCH tomorrow a bunch of people will start running on it. Going from basically unicorn rarity to fairly common in everything at cap (not the most common job, but a frequent enough occurrence to not be worthy of comment) qualifies for me, I guess.

In any case, it's current state still feels incomplete and I'm still convinced they'll keep tweaking it until it's either got a better gameplay loop or is overturned so far as to be in high demand. At which point the chunk of the population that leveled and dropped it in SB will start showing up on it again

aceface

Good King Moggle Mog isn't 100% a Primal though. It's like, he looks like a primal, and acts like a primal, but no one is exactly sure what he is. Iirc the text around his part in the story reflects this.

B.K.

I got into a V2S practice party a while ago, but it didn't go so well. I was doing terrible in it and I think I was killing everyone. I finally left after the fourth or fifth try. I thought I could do it, but I guess not. I hurt my back a few days ago and it's still hurting like hell. Couldn't give the fight the focus I needed to. Maybe I'll feel like trying again this weekend.

Edzi

Good King Moggle Mog isn't 100% a Primal though. It's like, he looks like a primal, and acts like a primal, but no one is exactly sure what he is. Iirc the text around his part in the story reflects this.

I think he's just a primal based on Moogle legend. I didn't hear anything that implied otherwise.

I still think any PF with a no-MCH rule is a PF not worth joining. Like, it's shorthand for "I AM GOING TO MAKE A BUNCH OF BAD ASSUMPTIONS AND BLAME THE WRONG PEOPLE FOR MISTAKES"

It did, though. It was never particularly common, but MCH representation out and about in 3.4 was miles ahead of 3.0. Not just Savage--dungeons, PF, whatever. I don't even think it was necessarily people leveling it fresh at that point so much as people who had it and never used it finally taking it out for a trial run when Midas happened. The bard counter-buff blunted it a little but if they overbuff MCH tomorrow a bunch of people will start running on it. Going from basically unicorn rarity to fairly common in everything at cap (not the most common job, but a frequent enough occurrence to not be worthy of comment) qualifies for me, I guess.

In any case, it's current state still feels incomplete and I'm still convinced they'll keep tweaking it until it's either got a better gameplay loop or is overturned so far as to be in high demand. At which point the chunk of the population that leveled and dropped it in SB will start showing up on it again

The ones I got kicked from were mostly Lak and Sus farms. Which baffles me.

Because Alte Roite is the actual boss' name, Jura Aevis is his second form, just like those dragon zealots in Stone Vigil HM that turn into Jura Aevis trash if you don't stun them

Plus it makes me feel like I get bonus nerd points for knowing that

Yup but Alte Roite is an Old Wizard or whatever. FFV is really forgettable to me but even I knew this and went wtf.

I really wish I didn't find PotD grinding insufferable. I'd like to level some other dps jobs but the queue times for anything that isn't PotD quickly kills that idea.

Squishy3

Has anyone had any problems with the gravity down circles during epicenter? I didn't have this problem when I was pugging it without my static pre-reset.

Get tank/healer friends.
I've definitely used this a little but generally the people I know don't have a great deal of time to play so I don't want to drag them along for dungeon runs to much. The DPS queues have at least finally pushed me to level my WHM and I'm enjoying that a lot, looking forward to finally leveling a tank as well.

Playing Black Desert Online has led me to appreciating this game's story a bit more than I did before.

I mean people clearly don't go to BDO for story, they go to it for other things like the combat, crafting, pvp, etc but the absence of a good story and characters so far just reminds me that FFXIV seems to be pretty unique in the sense that it has a grand story that isn't typical MMO tripe.

aceface

I think he's just a primal based on Moogle legend. I didn't hear anything that implied otherwise.

First there's this:

iwPDrKM.jpg

It says "in a manner similar to a primal" If it was a primal they would say so. There's some doubt here.

This also supports the fact they don't know what it is:

Then, there's This blog which states it outright:

So far the primal battles have focused on four or eight adventurers battling against a primal. However, Good King Moggle Mog XII looks to even the score as the battle will pit 8 adventurers against 8 enemies at once!
(Though, keep in mind that Good King Moggle Mog isn't a primal!)

That's why I don't think he's a primal.

Squishy3

The Heavensward story does indeed state that there is an ancient tale of Moogles descending from the Churning Mists via a rope led by their king, who was unable to follow them and was left behind on the Churning Mists. At the time of the patch, the King was thought not to be a Primal due to the fact he seemingly was not based on anything, but Heavensward reveals he was indeed based on something.

Looking at random wikis they say that he's a primal summoned by the Mooglesguard.

And this

During development and in legacy Final Fantasy XIV, there was confusion over whether Moggle Mog was a "true" primal—including contradictory statements from the development team at differing times. Amusingly, this has been transferred to the canon itself, as a significant part of the A Realm Reborn Moggle Mog questline involves puzzling over the nature of the being the Mooglesguard have summoned.

I know, it was one of those "but maybe there's a chance it can be exciting at 60!" moments, and then I tried it out and it was just... man, I probably should have used that potion on PLD or DRK.

once you get shot mastery...at 64...it gets a lot better but yeah

We got it figured out, just had some people not getting brought down despite being in the circles.

Ah yeah, I've had that happen too.

Edzi

First there's this:

It says "in a manner similar to a primal" If it was a primal they would say so. There's some doubt here.

This also supports the fact they don't know what it is:

I thought that at that point in the story, the scions weren't really sure what primals were. They were slowly figuring out that literally anyone could summon one, and it could be based on anything.

I'm still leveling chars and I've seen a lot of MCH leveling up lately. Interestingly, almost all of them have been the top DPS in the group, above the "better" classes, probably cause they're the ppl who are lvling machinist on purpose and actually looked into it/can play decently, I don't know. Anyway it's been pretty good they're putting out pretty decent numbers even before the heat stuff.

Also DPS queues are ridiculously low for leveling dungeons on my datacenter lately. Like HW/SB dungeons, I don't do stuff lower than that(other than leveling roulette). The cracked reward probably helps a lot but I think a lot of people are lvling tanks and healers now that they have nothing else to do(ppl not progressing savage don't really have much left to do). I'm getting 6-12mins queues on my Samurai in HW dungeons and 8-15mins queues on my BRD in SB dungeons, which is very reasonable, I do beastmen/huntmark stuff inbetween or just fate or alt tabbing and goes very fast. Technically it'd take less played time to get my SAM to 60 using potd, but fuck that place tbh, I'll take 50% slower leveling doing dungeons and daillies+fates than non stop potd queuing.

Luckily I'm almost done with potd forever*. SAM is 56 so might run a few to finish levels here and there before I hit 60, then all I have left is 50 dragoon which will do the same system, potd to 53 then do HW dungeons+beastmen/hunts/fates, and MCH which is 32 which I'm not touching until 4.1 when I can get another jump potion, because fuck that noise. I already used one on DRK and it was great, other than skipping the story. I watched it on nice youtube videos though so it was not a big deal, hell it was probably better since I skipped all the running around and fighting trash mobs and only watched the dialogues, cutscenes and instanced fights.

* Unless they make potd worth doing for something else for whatever reason.

Wooooah boy.

Got back on to my account. On Sarg.

My details:
Bard: 50 (ilvl 82)
Gladiator: 15
Marauder: 40
Lancer: 8
Conjurer: 7

50: Carpenter, Miner, Botanist, Culinarian
42: Blacksmith
36: Goldsmith
Rest are around 20.

I have no idea what I'm doing :lol Guess I have some reading to do this weekend.

I believe there is. Red Dot is their name I think. I run a casual Free Company too if you need a place to hang.

I'm looking for casual stuff as I catch back up. Will probably just play casually for a long while.

Top Bottom