• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

If Seth comes back and he's still stuck in the HHH feud, and still has a finisher where he drives his own knees into the ground, he should walk.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
When American Alpha were doing their open challenge thing I was getting pretty hype and just waiting for SAY YEEEAAAHHH. Then the Usos came out and my hopes were crushed.

Sephzilla

I'm still struggling to determine if the brand split was a net gain or net loss.

Pros
-- More main event spotlight time for people like KO, Styles, Cena, Roman, Goldberg, Brock, Ambrose, etc.
-- More spotlight time for midcarders like Miz, Jericho, and Zayn
-- We have a few more angles going on in the tag and womens divisions now

Cons
-- Womens divisions suck now
-- Tag divisions suck
-- NXT kind of went to shit because they lost a bunch of talent and got nothing in return
-- Too many fucking PPVs now
-- Titles are devalued a little more again

Pikma

Banned
So not much has changed?

They should merge the Tag and Women's divisions again and make each one exclusive for each show. Raw is going to get incredibly stale since it's roster is literally just 4 or 5 women, and SD's is already the drizzling shits. Merged divisions at least give the possibility of things not getting completely stale.
Elimination Chamber is about to have 3 different Womens division singles matches...

I'm still struggling to determine if the brand split was a net gain or net loss.

Pros
-- More main event spotlight time for people like KO, Styles, Cena, Roman, Goldberg, Brock, Ambrose, etc.

Cons
-- Tag divisions suck
-- NXT kind of went to shit because they lost a bunch of talent and got nothing in return
Tag division sucked then, women division sucked then, this was always going to happen to NXT.

Hasney

Smackdowns womens division rules, I'm really enjoying it. Tag team is shit because WWE hasn't cared about tag teams in years. it sucked before the brand split and will continue to do so.

Pros

Cons
-- Tag divisions suck
-- Too many fucking PPVs now
-- Titles are devalued a little more again
NXT is also suffering because of the American dream baby.

Having the brand split being completely chopping the roster's in half was dumb, the idea itself was great though.

But now that I'm rethinking back some scenarios, there was no way WWE would've sent the likes of New Day, Charlotte or Sasha Banks to SD in case they would've decided to make exclusive divisions to each brand.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lucha Underground on Netflix being US only is killing me

Mahonay

Banned
Smackdowns womens division rules, I'm really enjoying it. Tag team is shit because WWE hasn't cared about tag teams in years. it sucked before the brand split and will continue to do so.
Smackdown was actually doing ok with their division up until the Wyatt's dropped the belts. They are in a holding pattern and AA look like a couple of goobers.

I'm with you, really enjoying the Smackdown women's division. More than I thought I would for sure. Only really blemish on the division is Carmella. They need to stop pushing her for now, she's not even close to ready.

Sephzilla

Brand split was bad cause there's no depth in the roster.

Yeah. The reason the original brand split happened was because WWE annexed a ton of WCW talent. Modern WWE's roster isn't even remotely that stuffed. Plus I still think each show having its own set of championships devalues every title a ton

kiguel182

Hopefully that Lucha Underground deal is worldwide and it would be awesome if it became a Netflix Original. I will watch it for sure.

Sucks about Seth. I'm not really interested in him v HHH but an injury is always bad. Hopefully it's not as serious as it looks and he can be at Mania after missing it last year.

Mahonay

Banned
Brand split was bad cause there's no depth in the roster.
The split was an overall good thing for me because I have a main roster show (Smackdown) that I actually look forward to watching week to week.

The unified roster was stacked before and it made no difference because the overall booking was hot fucking trash.

The roster is thin now. No denying that. But the shake up helped in other areas.

Sephzilla

Most of the things that the brand split "fixed" were things that honestly could have been done without a brand split. It was mostly just booking issues. You could have had an "unofficial" brand split where you keep certain stars on one show or another and keep the midcard titles exclusive to each show, thus elevating them in the process. That way you get the best of both worlds - more exposure for the entire roster, titles aren't devalued as much, and you aren't entirely handcuffed if you need a wrestler from another show.

What is this show

RdWG1qpl.jpg

Gutted to be missing some Riddle action :(

Women's Division is better than before the split because of the Smackdown division

The garbage fire that is Raw's is exactly how it was beforehand, with less tag matches

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
KO is on the latest Jericho podcast btw

Mahonay

Banned
Most of the things that the brand split "fixed" were things that honestly could have been done without a brand split. It was mostly just booking issues. You could have had an "unofficial" brand split where you keep certain stars on one show or another and keep the midcard titles exclusive to each show, thus elevating them in the process. That way you get the best of both worlds - more exposure for the entire roster, titles aren't devalued as much, and you aren't entirely handcuffed if you need a wrestler from another show.
Modern WWE typically doesn't fix booking issues until they are absolutely forced to. I don't have faith that thet would have done it organically with out a split.

Yeah. The reason the original brand split happened was because WWE annexed a ton of WCW talent. Modern WWE's roster isn't even remotely that stuffed. Plus I still think each show having its own set of championships devalues every title a ton

Feels weird to say it's not stuffed since a lot of people feel this is some of the best in-ring wrestling WWE has had in some time. Unless you mean there isn't enough top tier guys/gals who can carry the brand.

Pikma

Banned
And the PWInsider article quoted said it's been rumored all month, so it's not even a confirmed thing

Clickbait at its finest. Cageside is the worst, always stealing and misquoting stuff from Dave, Satin, and Johnson
Just take a look at this "rumor round up" from two days ago

Rumors for the Day:
-Plans call for Samoa Joe to be a Raw Superstar from here forward.
-Most of the Elimination Chamber card will be established on tonight’s SmackDown.
-The decision to downplay John Cena tying Ric Flair’s WWE title record was partially because they don’t want to call attention to a short reign, since plans call for him to drop the belt at Elimination Chamber.
-Rusev’s broken nose is legit, and happened when he took a crossbody from Kofi Kingston on the Rumble ‘go home’ show.
-Chris Jericho reportedly tweaked an ankle in the Rumble working with Brock Lesnar, but obviously not enough to keep him from working on Raw.

That garbage was all already confirmed things but they had no actual content they could use so hey why not slap a rumor tag on them and use them on our most clickbaity section?

Sephzilla

Feels weird to say it's not stuffed since a lot of people feel this is some of the best in-ring wrestling WWE has had in some time. Unless you mean there isn't enough top tier guys/gals who can carry the brand.

The roster's talent isn't the issue, it's just the number of people on the roster that is the issue. WWE at the time of the first brand split literally had two promotions worth of wrestlers.

Rhaknar

It's not, it's another Cageside lie. MLW when they broke the news made it quite clear it was North American, so it's sounding like Canada's getting it too at least

still not Europe, which is what I mean by US... who cares about Canada anyway?

Cant even say that with a straight face, I love Canada :(

The roster's talent isn't the issue, it's just the number of people on the roster that is the issue. WWE at the time of the first brand split literally had two promotions worth of wrestlers.

Ah ok, I get what you're saying.

To me the roster is very much like Attitude Era where there is plenty of talent o have mid-cards for each division, in addition to top tier. We just unfortunately don't get that.

Mahonay

Banned
I mean she the champ and She been with WWE for almost 4 years she should be way better than she is
Splitting the women's division forced them to rush people like her and Nia up. I mean I'm not sure what SD heel you'd put the belt on besides Natalya who they've been trying to rehab with her feud against Nikki.

Bliss has the character part down pretty damn well for how early she's in her career. Def has a long way to go in the ring though.

Foggy

Nikki Misawa needs to be feuding with Becky. Just throw Alexa on for 5 minutes a week to satisfy the jackals.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I've always said the brand split was dumb. Now every feud lasts like 4 months. They should have fired a lot of their talent and moved forward with a stronger roster.

Top Bottom