• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | News and Updates 2017 - Back to the basics

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Anno 1404 Gold has been released. Currently on sale for $10, regular price will be $15.

Many people consider this to be the best game in the series, definitely highly recommended if you like city builders.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Anno 1404 Gold has been released. Currently on sale for $10, regular price will be $15.

Many people consider this to be the best game in the series, definitely highly recommended if you like city builders.

One of the interesting things about that coming to the store, is that it's one of those titles that was saddled with uPlay's always on DRM, if I'm not mistaken. Would be cool if more of the games with that issue made the leap over.

Catshade

One of the interesting things about that coming to the store, is that it's one of those titles that was saddled with uPlay's always on DRM, if I'm not mistaken. Would be cool if more of the games with that issue made the leap over.

Apparently it still uses uPlay to a certain extent.

Multiplayer Notice:
A Uplay account and key code are required to play online multiplayer, the key can be found in your virtual game shelf. Offline multiplayer does not require anything beyond a LAN connection.

Knurek

Nope, ever since the Steam version of the game had TAGES removed, it's basically DRM free.

draetenth

Did Steam sell Anno 1404 at one point? I know they sell Anno 2205 (Uplay) and Anno 2070 (Uplay and Tages - 3 machine activation limit).

Went under my radar but Darkest Dungeon has been released on GOG. 20% debut discount still going too.

Also, is there any particular reason as to why GOG doesn't have any MOBAs? Steam has 19 - they can't all be completely reliant on Steam's backend, can they? I mean they'd all be useluss without an internet connection, but I'd still like the option to move out of the DRM-locked stores.

Nikodemos

This week's Staff Picks has a lot of good stuff. Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2 for -50%, Satellite Reign for -66%, Transistor, Legends of Eisenwald, Never Alone and others for -75% off.

There are games on GOG that require an account for online play, I think. And is there nothing without an account? Just jump in and play?
Requiring an account to play online is a very different thing from requiring an account to play at all.

As to your questions, what do you mean, a singleplayer MOBA? There are none that I know of; it's kinda missing the point of them. They aren't like RTSes (which have campaigns and skirmishes against AI), instead they're purely multiplayer in nature... Which makes sense, because the genre was born in a multiplayer mod for an RTS (Warcraft 3).

ShadowOwl

24 hours left for the weekly staff picks, all either 50 or 75% off the regular price. The selection is great:

https://www.gog.com/promo/weekly_staff_pick_new_year_absolutions_250116
  • D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
  • Game of Thrones: A Telltale Game Series
  • Grim Fandango Remastered
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1
  • Never Alone
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty
  • Satellite Reign
  • Tales from the Borderlands
  • Transistor
  • Wasteland 2 Director's Cut
  • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

jvm

Gamasutra.
How's Grim Fandango aged?
Sorry for late reply.

I played it on PS Vita, and found it delightful. Expect bugs -- it's inevitable, given the age and translation.

But I still felt emotional at the end
saying goodbye to Glottis
. Fantastic game.

I played the demo at original release on PC back in 1998, and my wife bought me the full game in 1999.

I already knew Starbound was coming to GOG (well, they were interested at least), but I wasn't expecting Early Access.

Eh, when it's officially out of Early Access I'll probably buy it to replace my Steam copy.

Tizoc

These games are in my Cart, should I pull the trigger and get them?
Wing Commander 4
Wing Commander Privateer
WC Privateer 2
Alpha Centauri

Persona7

Banned
Stardew Valley popped up on the coming soon tab. Nice. The Walking Dead: Michonne is also being released on GOG on day 1.

Persona7

Banned
How is Undertale not on GOG yet?

It's already DRM free on humble bundle so it doesn't matter but I wonder if whoever manages releases even attempted to get it on there.

Yeah, why is Undertale not on GOG? I would gladly buy it again if it appeared there.

As far as this weekend promo goes...nothing for me right now. Although I'm more interested in the "wee bit of a trickling" that Judas (GOG employee) hinted at.

draetenth

It's already DRM free on humble bundle so it doesn't matter but I wonder if whoever manages releases even attempted to get it on there.

I hope this isn't another case of GOG deciding for us that we don't want the game.

ShadowOwl

For me it's that Galaxy can handle the updates. As far as I'm aware, Humble doesn't have a way to do this automatically?
That is true, but Undertale is not the kind of game which gets a patch every few days. Since release (Sep '15) there has only been a single patch (Jan '16), so you shouldn't worry too much about that.

I hope this isn't another case of GOG deciding for us that we don't want the game.
In this specific case that decision would be insane.

Coreda

For me it's that Galaxy can handle the updates.

This, plus the fact that unlike the impression I had of Galaxy pre-launch it doesn't allow the addition of non-GOG games. I've come to like launchers. Even Steam has this feature.

Adding to the DRM-free library-specific clients is now itch.io, who released their client recently.

I wonder if they turned it down long before it became popular.

Meanwhile they've featured this poor-to-average rated game on the front page before. But hey, it's an adventure game! It fits the GOG aesthetic.

Top Bottom