• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 5 countries will have full Xbone voice commands at launch [Update in OP]

Amir0x

Banned
Actually the PS4 does about half of that.

Skype video chat, controller tracking and video commentary.

You can do video commentary on your PS4 uploads or your live streaming. PS4's entire share system is very substantial, there's so much you can do there. There's been video of it already. And I'm pretty sure I saw a video interview that the PS4 Camera can track the controller, although I'll have to search for that one for you.

beast786 said:
Drive club looks amazing with true next gen next gen feature like dynamic lightning and day /night cycles.

Wasn't trying to imply it doesn't, in fact it's the first next-gen game I intend to play on my PS4. Just think due to the roughness of DriveClub's E3 showing, some minds' may be slightly poisoned to it now.

Penguins&PolarBears said:
Of course if you read that topic you linked, that's what Amir0x is suggesting, and getting in a good bit of MS trolling too, but I stipulated no "reasonable" person. :p

The truth is not trolling my friend. But you'll just have to ride this train of yours off a cliff, because you're obviously the type of person who will refuse to acknowledge just how disastrous this Xbox One roll out has been and will try to defend stuff like what happened in this OP because it's not convenient. So, we'll just have to wait and see exactly what the PS4 camera can do on launch day and compare then. We'll return to the debate both better informed. As anyone who knows me knows, 360 was my primary console of choice, I purchased 90% of all my games on it last gen and played 99% of all my multiplayer on it. I am critical because Microsoft deserves the criticism.

KoopaTheCasual

And comparing to Sony is just so nonsensical because Sony isn't even doing any of these features in their machine.

Sorry, but:

2UcXyl7.jpg

Briefly, because a lot of the stuff you posted is just retreads of stuff I've already refuted here or elsewhere, what do you mean? PS4 Camera has voice recognition. It has facial regonition for automatic log ins. It has in fact most of the features you mentioned (except Skype, and Sony's share feature is integrally more complex and fully developed. They've said before PS4 Camera can do gestural menu movement and stuff like that, but I haven't heard if that's a launch goal). I'm not sure how many countries they'll be ready for this stuff on day one, so for all I know it could be as bad as Microsoft, but the difference is it's optional and has never been stated to be a core principle of their platform. Microsoft is charging $100 extra for a dead piece of weight in many countries, or an incomplete feature set missing things as integral as "Xbox On" command. You're so laughably trying to downplay the severity of this fuck up and Microsoft's non-stop fuck ups since the XBO reveal that it seems almost like an ulterior motive is involved.

And because it's not included few people will buy the peripheral and few will make use of all of those features. Just like voice chat on PS3 has always been worse than 360 because relatively few people on the console have a microphone, not having the camera standard will limit it's utility for everyone.

So even if you were right and upload studio was better on PS4 you would have fewer people making use of the feature, fewer people available to video chat. You also have less of a chance of motion control games or features ever coming to the platform in the future.

Dead piece of weight? GTFO.

Yes every X1 game having Kinect features is dead weight. Being able to control your AV equipment is dead weight. Gesture control is dead weight. Skype and Upload studio is dead weight. Automatic login and controller tracking is dead weight. Natural voice search/control coming to everyone eventually is just dead weight. You are just trolling now.

I'm done taking the troll bait.

Amir0x

Banned
And because it's not included few people will buy the peripheral and few will make use of all of those features. Just like voice chat on PS3 or PS2 has always been worse than Xbox or 360 because relatively few people on the console have a microphone.

This is speculation on your part about the 'quality' of the PS4 voice experience or anything else. And gestures/voice commands/facial recognition does not require any sort of large adaptation: it's features that will be available to everyone who gets a PS4 camera, and I'm sure Sony went a ways toward developing the functionality since originally they were going to pack in the PS4 but decided against it so they could maintain a price advantage.

Also, PS4 Camera is much more advanced than the Eye; it's not Kinect 2.0, but it's definitely an advanced piece of camera tech for games. If I cared about that sort of thing. Which I don't. Fuck Cameras :p

Additionally, every PS4 comes packed-in with a microphone, and since the PS4 is also compatible with the vast majority of peripherals from the PS3 (unlike the Xbox One, but I'm sure you know that), you also don't have to buy a better quality microphone if you already have one. As I do! Think about the applications there: there are people who purchased $300 wheels for the PS3 that can use them on PS4, but the reverse is not true for Xbox One.

So even if you were right and upload studio was better on PS4 you would have fewer people making use of the feature, fewer people available to video chat. You also have less of a chance of motion control games or features ever coming to the platform in the future.

The features are already going to be there; the motion control games are true, but I don't care about that. I don't intend to ever get an Eye and when I get my Xbox One I will toss the Kinect straight into the trash (not like I can resell it since everyone who has a One will own it). That said, the aforementioned motion control/Eye mini-game thing called Playroom comes packed-in with every system, and we know Media Molecule is making some Motion Eye game. But I haven't been paying attention to Move or Eye shit so who knows what has been announced on that front :p

Dead piece of weight? GTFO.

Yes every X1 game having Kinect features is dead weight. Being able to control your AV equipment is dead weight. Gesture control is dead weight. Skype and Upload studio is dead weight. Automatic login and controller tracking is dead weight. You are just trolling now.

No, sorry, it's dead weight. It fucking raised the price of every Xbox One by $100, guaranteeing significantly slower adoption and thus by default a chance that it'll end up with LESS support in the future if it fails to take off, and for what? A Xbox voice/gesture system that won't even be close to all in place for the vast majority of the countries it launches in, and virtually no Kinect flagship titles. If you think paying $100 extra is worth it for some gimmicky shit "Kinect enhanced" features in your games, that's on you, but I know what that means for Kinect 1.0, what that means for most gimmicky peripherals in general, and what it means is shallow or forgettable nonsense that clearly appeals to someone who has a very different set of standards than I do.

I play games. What I want to spend money on is something that enhances my games in meaningful ways.

Kinect is a complete waste of time for the 98% of genres because it lacks tactile feedback and always will. And the games continually show this. Most of it is mini-game party shit, the library in totality has some of the lowest overall ratings I've ever seen for a peripheral and there has hardly been a single new idea introduced by it (Project Spark is one of the first genuinely new ideas I've seen from the concept). Other than that you have things like head tracking, which I could personally give a shit about, but even if I did... I wouldn't give a $100 shit about it, that's for sure. And you also have the ability to issue voice commands, which you could have saved everyone $100 and just let people do it via the packed-in microphone headset. The issue with Kinect is NOT accuracy or lag, it's tactile feedback. Same problem PS Eye has, it's why it's a dead end piece of technology for games.

Now, if you think that forcing everyone to pay $100 extra for a tech that has virtually no real flagship games for launch in any territory and only has the full voice functionality for 5 fucking countries is something other than 'dead weight', then I don't know what in the world it would take for you to classify something as dead weight, so the argument is practically pointless.

You'll be forced to arrive at the conclusion when you see the sales once the holidays are over.

Edit: Also, you quite self-evidently don't know what the word 'troll' means, so please save everyone time and address points being made or not at all. Thank you.

Metfanant

So...let me get this all straight...

- the delay was for localization issues...
- even in some of the non-delayed countries, voice recognition won't be fully functioning...hence localization issues...

...manufacturing shortage(in comparison to PS4) just further confirmed in my mind...

Finalizer

- the delay was for localization issues...
- even in some of the non-delayed countries, voice recognition won't be fully functioning...hence localization issues...

That's pretty much the stink of it. You can add that the self-contradiction just makes it that much easier to question what else is going to Surprise! not work out of the box when it releases.

maverick40

This is speculation on your part about the 'quality' of the PS4 voice experience or anything else. And gestures/voice commands/facial recognition does not require any sort of large adaptation: it's features that will be available to everyone who gets a PS4 camera, and I'm sure Sony went a ways toward developing the functionality since originally they were going to pack in the PS4 but decided against it so they could maintain a price advantage.

Also, PS4 Camera is much more advanced than the Eye; it's not Kinect 2.0, but it's definitely an advanced piece of camera tech for games. If I cared about that sort of thing. Which I don't. Fuck Cameras :p

Additionally, every PS4 comes packed-in with a microphone, and since the PS4 is also compatible with the vast majority of peripherals from the PS3 (unlike the Xbox One, but I'm sure you know that), you also don't have to buy a better quality microphone if you already have one. As I do! Think about the applications there: there are people who purchased $300 wheels for the PS3 that can use them on PS4, but the reverse is not true for Xbox One.

The features are already going to be there; the motion control games are true, but I don't care about that. I don't intend to ever get an Eye and when I get my Xbox One I will toss the Kinect straight into the trash (not like I can resell it since everyone who has a One will own it). That said, the aforementioned motion control/Eye mini-game thing called Playroom comes packed-in with every system, and we know Media Molecule is making some Motion Eye game. But I haven't been paying attention to Move or Eye shit so who knows what has been announced on that front :p

No, sorry, it's dead weight. It fucking raised the price of every Xbox One by $100, guaranteeing significantly slower adoption and thus by default a chance that it'll end up with LESS support in the future if it fails to take off, and for what? A Xbox voice/gesture system that won't even be close to all in place for the vast majority of the countries it launches in, and virtually no Kinect flagship titles. If you think paying $100 extra is worth it for some gimmicky shit "Kinect enhanced" features in your games, that's on you, but I know what that means for Kinect 1.0, what that means for most gimmicky peripherals in general, and what it means is shallow or forgettable nonsense that clearly appeals to someone who has a very different set of standards than I do.

I play games. What I want to spend money on is something that enhances my games in meaningful ways.

Kinect is a complete waste of time for the 98% of genres because it lacks tactile feedback and always will. And the games continually show this. Most of it is mini-game party shit, the library in totality has some of the lowest overall ratings I've ever seen for a peripheral and there has hardly been a single new idea introduced by it (Project Spark is one of the first genuinely new ideas I've seen from the concept). Other than that you have things like head tracking, which I could personally give a shit about, but even if I did... I wouldn't give a $100 shit about it, that's for sure. And you also have the ability to issue voice commands, which you could have saved everyone $100 and just let people do it via the packed-in microphone headset. The issue with Kinect is NOT accuracy or lag, it's tactile feedback. Same problem PS Eye has, it's why it's a dead end piece of technology for games.

Now, if you think that forcing everyone to pay $100 extra for a tech that has virtually no real flagship games for launch in any territory and only has the full voice functionality for 5 fucking countries is something other than 'dead weight', then I don't know what in the world it would take for you to classify something as dead weight, so the argument is practically pointless.

You'll be forced to arrive at the conclusion when you see the sales once the holidays are over.

Edit: Also, you quite self-evidently don't know what the word 'troll' means, so please save everyone time and address points being made or not at all. Thank you

lkGSVV6.gif

Well now that I know "value" = only something that Amir0x cares about + something PS4 can't do with peripherals, that changes everything.

• Just a wacky thought but maybe some people value those things you don't care about or think these features deserve to be treated as more than a tacked on afterthought.
  • If it is just "speculation" that a peripheral gets less use and support than a standard piece of equipment that comes with the console then you got me; I'm a "speculator."
  • And let's just say this again for the one millionth time: The new Kinect raised the price of the console more than $100. Without Kinect an Xbox One *should* cost less than a PS4.

I don't think an Xbox One without Kinect is worth $400, I'm not even sure if it's worth $300 since it would be a pretty boring and uninteresting thing without Kinect. All it is at that point is just a weaker version of PS4.

Amir0x

Banned
Well now that I know "value" = only something that Amir0x cares about + something PS4 can't do with peripherals, that changes everything.

• Just a wacky thought but maybe some people value those things you don't care about or think these features deserve to be treated as more than a tacked on afterthought.
  • If it is just "speculation" that a peripheral gets less use and support than a standard piece of equipment that comes with the console then you got me; I'm a "speculator."
  • And let's just say this again for the one millionth time: The new Kinect raised the price of the console more than $100. Without Kinect an Xbox One *should* cost less than a PS4.

I don't think an Xbox One without Kinect is worth $400, I'm not even sure if it's worth $300 since it would be a pretty boring and uninteresting thing without Kinect.

Jesus. You don't even get it, do you?

The point ISN'T that I don't care about what it does and you do. The point is that even if you care about what it does, it's not doing those things for most people in most countries in anywhere near close to a complete form at launch! Do you not understand why this is an issue?

If you LOVE kinect and think it's amazing, how can one not be incredibly pissed off that there are virtually no Kinect flagship titles until SPRING 2014 when Kinect Sports Rivals come out? Instead the interim while everyone waits has Fighters Within - a sequel to one of the worst rated games of the past gen - Just Dance 2014 (seriously lol), and Zumba Fitness. What a remarkable lineup of games if you're into Kinect! (Edit: I think Disney LOLTasia will be out in that time too. This changes everything of course. Edit 3: Nope, says Fantasia is sometime in 2014. So even that is not there)

See, that's my point. It doesn't matter if you love Kinect or not. I don't fucking want PSEye Camera OR Kinect. It has nothing to do with a specific company. Yes it's a dead piece of tech since they both lack tactile feedback and that makes it worthless for 98% of all genres, but that's not my point. My point is even if you love it, you can expect most of the reasons you love it for NOT to happen for most countries on the planet for a considerable amount of time post launch. You'll be waiting for the voice features and gestural issues to be all up to par on Xbox One for god knows how long post launch in almost every country in the world (only 5 - FIVE - are feature complete in this regard), and you'll have to be waiting until at least Spring 2014 for a single Kinect flagship title.

THAT is why it's dead weight. Because they're charging everyone $100 more for technology that's doin' f00kin' nothing for most countries on Earth for at least 6 months. At least you can do Skype... for $500... if you pay for your Xbox Live Gold subscription! What a wonderful value proposition, good shit.

Edit 2: Nearly 2 am, gotta sleep for work tomorrow.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
And because it's not included few people will buy the peripheral and few will make use of all of those features. Just like voice chat on PS3 has always been worse than 360 because relatively few people on the console have a microphone, not having the camera standard will limit it's utility for everyone.
How are you qualifying "worse"? It can't be actual audio quality, because both platforms are fine in that regard. If you're talking about the lack of cross-game/party chat, that's an issue of system resources for the PS3, not the lack of a pack-in mic. What else?

Edit: this is a 7 yr old argument that hasn't evolved with the changes to the console since it launched. There are number of ways to easily configure a mic to work with the PS3 these days, to make use of mic devices people probably have pretty commonly these days anyway.

FeiRR

Banned
Scaling back to 13 countries and not having full voice control or TV guide in every country at launch is not a big deal compared to their previous launches.
It's also scaling back from 41 to 13 countries with XBL availability for the new console and dropping full support for 4 languages which were supported in Kinect 1. Expecting them to expand that functionality to all the places they want to sell their console next year is very naive.

We're talking about all of the features coming to every single country, which is not something that Microsoft ever promised.
Wrong. They promised it to people in 21 countries. They even collected preorders for a console priced exactly the same so people thought they would get the same package. Now, when some of those people have already paid for their consoles, they reveal degraded functionality. I even think this is illegal.

Just a wacky thought but maybe some people value those things you don't care about or think these features deserve to be treated as more than a tacked on afterthought.
See, here's where your argument confuses me. You think the feature is of value, and deserves to be "treated as more than a tacked on afterthought". Yet when Microsoft announce that it will only be fully functional in 5 countries, that's okay? This doesn't seem coherent to me.

Or look at this quote:
Penguins&PolarBears said:
The decision to include Kinect standard is a generational bet spanning years, not linked to the launch window.
The problem is that, if it's only fully supported in a handful of countries to start, Kinect isn't standard. Or at least, some parts of it aren't standard. By launching in those countries anyway, Microsoft is implicitly telling the consumer, "Those parts of Kinect aren't crucial." They're hedging that bet.

Finally, if Kinect is the immovable centerpiece of their strategy, why wasn't it the very first piece of the tech brought to release polish? Their current highly-caveated approach is like if Apple had announced the iPad with the asterisk "*Some touch functions not available in some areas".

Let's just assume at this point you're not talking about half of the countries where Kinect does everything that MS demoed. If that is the case you are talking about 1 single feature being scaled back out of a dozen different functions that Kinect provides. How you decided that all of those non-voice functions are of no importance is beyond me, but you have.

You are also ignoring the reality that the launch window of any game console is usually filled with unspectacular games. Judging the value of including Kinect solely on the basis of launch titles is ridiculous. They're betting on Kinect for the life of the system. I don't know if there are any amazing Kinect game experiences at launch because I don't have the damn thing.

I never saw Kinect Sports 3 as being the showpiece game that you're making it out to be either. Given that there are more games at launch than I can afford to play I don't really care that it got delayed to next year. In terms of the launch game lineup I think they actually have tons of games for Kinect, but not enough for kids and families.

I agree that they should drop the price of the console $100, but only if they keep Kinect in the bundle. Only with a $399 Xbox One with Kinect do we actually have a real console war.

See, here's where your argument confuses me. You think the feature is of value, and deserves to be "treated as more than a tacked on afterthought". Yet when Microsoft announce that it will only be fully functional in 5 countries, that's okay? This doesn't seem coherent to me.

It's "okay" only in so far as it should be expected and the competition (Apple, Amazon, Sony, Google) aren't doing any better than them so far.

Rolling out a service feature doesn't make it an afterthought. Skype got integrated into Outlook.com in the UK months before it came to the US version of Outlook.com. Does that mean that Microsoft is treating Skype as an afterthought?

The problem is that, if it's only fully supported in a handful of countries to start, Kinect isn't standard. Or at least, some parts of it aren't standard. By launching in those countries anyway, Microsoft is implicitly telling the consumer, "Those parts of Kinect aren't crucial." They're hedging that bet.

Finally, if Kinect is the immovable centerpiece of their strategy, why wasn't it the very first piece of the tech brought to release polish? Their current highly-caveated approach is like if Apple had announced the iPad with the asterisk "*Some touch functions not available in some areas".

Okay this is just ridiculous. The hardware that enables all the video functionality (Skype, Video upload, motion capture, auto-login, controller tracking, gesture control, voice recognition) is standard. Service features are just software and can be rolled out at any time once you have the hardware in everyone's home. It's not that they think voice search/control isn't "crucial" it's that voice recognition for the whole world is a million times harder to do than any of the other features they are delivering at launch.

No it's more like Apple adding Siri and voice input to the iPad years after the iPad came out; which is exactly what happened.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It's not that they think voice search/control isn't "crucial" it's that voice recognition for the whole world is a million times harder to do than any of the other features they are delivering at launch.
Strawman. No one is talking about launching voice recognition to the whole world. Right now we're just trying to establish what MS thinks they can actually accomplish by launch given that almost each new week seems to see a new downgrade. We're at a point where they're actually regressing on support/features they had previously established for Kinect 1.0. That isn't actually MS's standard playbook.

The hardware that enables all the video functionality (Skype, Video upload, motion capture, auto-login, controller tracking, gesture control, voice recognition) is standard. Service features are just software and can be rolled out at any time once you have the hardware in everyone's home.It's not that they think voice search/control isn't "crucial" it's that voice recognition for the whole world is a million times harder to do than any of the other features they are delivering at launch.
It's true that service features can be rolled out gradually. But my point is that if you do so--advertise a product as doing x, y, and z, but then sell it only doing x and y in certain places--that automatically means you don't think feature z is as important. Otherwise you would've made sure it was in there. It doesn't matter how hard it is, if it were truly crucial you wouldn't launch without it. Try this analogy:

• Mercedes announce a new sedan that has nightvision HUD, automatic parking, and cruise-to-stop servo throttle, made possible by a new camera system
  • Mercedes then announce that automatic parking won't be available for most countries. "But the cameras to do it are in there, we can add the service later."
If that happened it would, without the slightest shadow of a doubt, indicate that Mercedes thinks automatic parking isn't crucial for the overall experience.

No it's more like Apple adding Siri and voice input to the iPad years after the iPad came out; which is exactly what happened.
You did not understand the analogy. Let me try to make it clearer: Apple touted multitouch as the defining feature of the iPad. They made damn sure it worked as intended before they announced it. Voice input was a "nice to have", and so it could be pushed back.

Microsoft have touted full voice control as a defining feature of the One. They haven't gotten all of it to work, yet they're launching anyway. That indicates those missing parts aren't necessary to their vision, just "nice to have" and so delayable.

Strawman. No one is talking about launching voice recognition to the whole world. Right now we're just trying to establish what MS thinks they can actually accomplish by launch given that almost each new week seems to see a new downgrade. We're at a point where they're actually regressing on support/features they had previously established for Kinect 1.0. That isn't actually MS's standard playbook.
  • Getting rid of online connection requirement/used game limits.
  • Getting rid of region lock.
  • Increasing the GPU clock rate.
  • Including the headset and HDMI cable.
  • Giving Europe FIFA 14 for free.

Yep every week has been nothing but downgrades, that's fair. /s

I'm sorry you took my "whole world" comment literally, but it's not a strawman argument. They are not downgrading voice recognition from Kinect 1.0. What they are trying to do is a million times more advanced and complicated than the voice commands in Kinect 1.0. Kinect 1.0 only was able to recognize the on-screen commands. You couldn't turn on your console with your voice and launch a specific TV channel, app or game just by saying it's name (the command had to be on screen). Limiting the voice recognition to only the options on screen meant they had a 1/9 chance of guessing correctly (relatively easy task). And it was also very slow because there was no server side technology supporting this. Bringing this new level of voice recognition to even 10 countries is an unbelievable undertaking.

But no I don't think it is make or break for the system. Even if they could never deliver this function in some countries native languages I don't think the Xbox One and Kinect is dead there, because like I said the thing does a lot of other things. Kinect is not ridiculously expensive because of the mics, so what this has to do with the total price of the system is beyond me. If the X1 ended up being "too expensive" it is because of the "time of flight" camera technology which has nothing to do with voice. If voice is the main function of Kinect they could have solved that problem with a very cheap and inexpensive piece of hardware.

Microsoft have touted full voice control as a defining feature of the One. They haven't gotten all of it to work, yet they're launching anyway. That indicates those missing parts aren't necessary to their vision, just "nice to have" and so delayable.

Microsoft has touted playing next-gen video games as the defining feature of the Xbox One. They have not even really mentioned the voice capabilities of the system in over 3 months. The last 3 months all they have talked about is games games games.

The reason gesture control and video chat isn't only in some countries is because there's nothing that is unique there to individual regions of the world. Voice recognition is a very regional thing that has to be custom tailored to every country and probably even regions of the country. It doesn't mean that Microsoft thinks video chat is more important than voice recognition. What kind of logic is this? They don't need to do localization for skeletal tracking, they need to do localization work to understand your voice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I agree with Kaching. This individual piece of news on its own isn't a disaster for MS. But it is yet another negative thing in a long string of negative things that points to MS simply not being ready to launch this year

Nasym

Banned
Im sorry if this already has been answered but can i set my xbox to use english voice commands even though i will buy it in sweden?

Im sorry if this already has been answered but can i set my xbox to use english voice commands even though i will buy it in sweden?

I don't think Microsoft even know what features you can or can not use. Please understand, we are busy making the chart for you. (Disclaimer: This chart may or may not be ready at launch, please refer to another chart to see if your country will get said chart to let you know what will be available).

I am just stunt, what in the world were they doing during the last three years. Did they just like decided this year that they are going to put out a new console because it seems that way. Nothing seems to be ready for the Xbox One.

So let me get this straight.

You wont be able to get an Xbox without a Kinect because they think its a magical experience and walking into you house and saying "xbox on" and everything is there is amazing. And yet only 5 countries out of 13 can actually do this?

All they are doing is cementing the fact that Kinect is not needed. Having it not work properly in less than half the countries its being released in is basically as bad as having less than half the user base owning it. So why is it not optional again?
I know why, they want devs to support it. But they really arn't doing a good job of convincing people they are capable of making it a must have piece of tech right now.

I love people not affected by these claiming it's not a big deal. Has the Kinect voice controlled applications been a major feature of the Xbox One's advertising, yes? Do the countries that miss out on these voice features speak languages that are already supported, yes. Will the local advertising and packaging indicate that the Xbox one is missing a major feature previously advertised, highly unlikely. If you can't even obtain feature parity for things that are well within your capabilities (unlike local video content differences), then don't sell the damn product here until you get it sorted out. It's not a big deal though cause...'fuck you I got mine'...'stop complaining'...or something.

Khaz

BigDug13 – the FAQ is correct, for launch. When you choose a language for your console, you will be offered the list of countries it is supported in. Using your example, if you choose Italy as your language, you only get Italian. We will continue to add more supported combinations over time. For example in Canada we will support English and French. The opportunity to “mix-and-match” languages and countries is something we’re looking to do post-launch.

Until then you can just set it to English - UK if you want full voice support. Unlike the 360 it's really easy to switch language/locale. Once they release support for Ireland just switch the box to Ireland instead of UK and all will be well (and it will probably more accurately understand you since it will be official support)

Nope, you need to set-up your console with the country you're in or you won't be able to use some features. in your example the Irish user setting UK as a fake country, he will need a British payment card and will see prices in pounds instead of Euro.

As a migrant I am hugely disappointed in this lock. It's something trivial to implement (liberating locales) and a real problem when it's not. Say I'm a British working in Italy. I will want to set my xbox to UK in order to use it in my language, but then I won't be able to use the online store because I will need to use my British bank account instead of the one receiving money, the Italian one. Then I will want to watch some videos. the UK marketplace will show me British stuff but I won't be able to access it because it will likely be geoblocked. And if I want to look at the local unblocked Italian stuff I will have to change my locale to Italian, lose voice control and have the whole interface in Italian.

Not even going this far, in the US many people speak spanish at home and are likely to be fluent in both spanish and english. They will have to choose one language and get stuck with it. Choose one locale, get stuck with it (or delve into menus everytime you ant to access something in one language or the other). Same goes for Canada and Quebec. The association 1 country = 1 language has never been true.

Nintendo had the same problem with the 3DS: the console only offers videos from the country it was set up with, and this content is geoblocked because distribution rights. When in a foreign country you can't access local videos (not in the menu) nor home videos (geoblocked). Being a migrant I raised the issue to customer support, which told me it was unfortunate but I was such a special case they wouldn't bother modify their system for me. Guess when it was solved? The following summer, when presumably the execs from NoE and their family went on vacation in southern France or on the coasts of Spain and their kids would not be able to access Nintendo videos on their 3DS. Angry calls must have been made.

moozoom

I've yet to see a voice recognition system thats works well in French. ( could probably be generalized for languages other than english) Siri on iphone is highly unreliable and therefore unusable.

To be practical, these new interfaces (voice, gesture) must be flawless and better than a button input. The novelty of speaking to my tv has wore out long ago, especially if I must repeat a command 12 times before it's eventually understood. Same thing for gestures.

The fact that the basic and highly advertized "XBOX ON" command won't be available everywhere is astounding. Will they translate it for every country ?

We have untranslated ON/OFF switches on all electric appliances, so I guess that command could go untranslated. "XBOX Allume-toi ! " in french is longer to say so I don't see the point in changing.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So if i scream Xbox off and my competitors are playing with a surround system could that turn off thier xboxes aswell?

No, it filters out any audio output the console itself produced from the recorded audio input. In addition, it only registers commands from "faces" that are looking at the camera. There was a nice demo of that somewhere.

Arthea

So there is 0 tier too? (><)
I don't understand one thing about this. So you won't be able to choose language, instead it depends on region of your console? That don't sound like sensible thing to implement.

EGM1966

They can see Titanfall, they just can't SAY Titanfall.

Now that made me laugh.

On topic have to say if this is true (5 countries) then the launch is looking more and more like a trainwreck from worldwide perspective.

At this point I'm firmly of the view that either:

• MS really were originally planning on 2014 launch and are pushing it out unfinished to try and prevent Sony getting early lead (which I get but it seems to be fucking them up in most places)
  • MS would have been ready for Q4 2013 if they hadn't 180'd on so much and the effort to unpick all the infrastructure etc in line with their new stated vision has messed up their ability to launch everywhere properly

Or I guess it could be a bit of both. Either way this is looking to be one ugly launch unless you're in US and UK.

mjAUT

No voice commend for austria? We speak the same language like germany wtf

de-at Findst wiakli, dass wia die söbe Sproch wia die Deitschn redn?
de-de Findest du wirklich, dass wir die gleiche Sprache wie die Deutschen sprechen?
en-us Do you really think we speak the same language as the Germans?

But yes, I get your point, this limitation to Germany is ridiculous.

Alx

In November
- We will launch in 13 geos
- 10 of those geos will support some voice features
- We support 8 languages

(...)

NOW – the nuance to this is that some voice *features* won’t be available in all countries right away. “Xbox On”, for instance, is only available in 5 (hence the confusion on Xbox.com in the small print).

(...)

Again, sorry for all the confusion on this. Look for a more detailed explanation coming. Will most likely come through Xbox Wire, or Xbox.com.

Thanks Albert. I have a few questions, that probably won't be covered by the detailed explanations, if you don't mind :
- why not support at least the "Xbox On" command in all countries ? Will the command be different in each language ? Because there aren't many ways to pronounce "on", so if it is a universal command it should work everywhere. Unless it's more about legal issues with having an always active microphone ?
- one question I've had since kinect1 : I can understand that having official support for different languages is difficult, but why not include unofficial support for common languages ? Like many people said, most people speak English decently and would be fine using it while support for their native language is being developed.

Top Bottom