• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

What is The Ringer?

After Bill Simmons was fired and Grantland was shut down (RIP) those of us who enjoy good long form sports and pop culture content were left without an outlet. Fortunately, Simmons and most of the popular Grantland contributors have come together again. Let Bill explain it himself, as well as help you understand the OT subtitle.

Podcasts?

Yep! There are currently seven feeds. The podcasts can be found here as well as subscription options via iTunes/Soundcloud/Stitcher.

What about Bill's HBO show?

Bill's show is called Any Given Wednesday and premieres June 22 at 10 PM EST. There will most likely be a separate OT for that depending on interest.

Twitter Feeds

The Ringer- @ringer
Bill Simmons- @BillSimmons
Jason Concepcion (if you only follow one account, make it this one)- @netw3rk
Andy Greenwald- @andygreenwald
Chris Ryan- @ChrisRyan77
Tate Frazier- @tatefrazier
Mallory Rubin- @MalloryRubin
Amanda Dobbins- @akdobbins
Juliet Litman- @julietlitman
Katie Baker- @katiebakes
Cousin Sal- @TheCousinSal

And the dearly departed
Rembert Browne- @rembert
Wesley Morris- @Wesley_Morris

Update 4/4- Watch The Thrones is coming back as After The Thrones. Get hyped y'all.

Update 5/11- There's now a total of seven feeds, with The Watch and Keeping It 1600 being split off from Channel 33 and dedicated NBA/NFL pods being added. Sub options can be found on theringer.com. Keeping It 1600 cannot be recommended enough.

Update 6/1- The site is now up!

List of editors and writers

geestack

nice

just got caught up on the top chef podcast with juliet and andy, which nicely summarized everything about the season that i thought. greenwald and i are basically linked telepathically, he always manages to articulate everything that i'm thinking about tv and pop culture.

Faddy

Banned
I wonder why ShackHouse is getting its own feed. I just assumed it would be part of Channel 33.

Probably part of the advertising deal so the sponsor (Calloway) gets on the album art. When Bill announced the show it seemed like Calloway was paying for the full run.

Maybe they will break out the other pods onto their own feed with their own long term advertising deals. I think all the shows on Grantland eventually got their own feeds outside the Triangle and Hollywood Prospectus so the Ringer will move in the same way.

If they duplicate it there will be 3 main feeds. Bill's Pod, Channel 33 and a Sports Feed to be named later with Golf, NBA and NFL (featuring Robert Mays) being the headline shows. But if you just want the individual show you just subscribe to that.

jay23

I'm at the 20min mark of this Jay Glazer interview and I don't know if I can continue. At this point I'm just hate listening to see what other dumb shit he says.

gazele

Banned
Still don't think its a great name, and the logo isn't great either, but I'm happy that Grantland lives on outside the auspices of ESPN

Fjordson

I'm at the 20min mark of this Jay Glazer interview and I don't know if I can continue. At this point I'm just hate listening to see what other dumb shit he says.
The Glazer pod was kinda lame.

The Lampley pod before that was pretty amazing, though. And I'm not even a big boxing fan.

ryseing

So glad he's coming back with another site. Grantland has been sorely missed when I'm killing time at work lol.

Also, should add Jonathan Tjarks to the list in the OP https://twitter.com/JonathanTjarks was a solid pickup by Bill, he's a good bball writer.

He's no Zach Lowe. /s

There's a bunch of new hires I haven't added yet. The Ringer's account is following most of them. All in due time.

Still don't think its a great name, and the logo isn't great either, but I'm happy that Grantland lives on outside the auspices of ESPN

Yeah not a fan of the name either. There were a couple I really liked that they mentioned were shot down for whatever reason.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nice thread! I almost feel like the politics podcast with Favreau has been undersold by Simmons slightly. It's a big deal! Those guys are refreshingly open about their political experiences too.

Oh I think the name and logo (looks like MS Paint) are completely terrible too but w/e it will be forgotten and mostly irrelevant.

jtb

Banned
Nice thread! I almost feel like the politics podcast with Favreau has been undersold by Simmons slightly. It's a big deal! Those guys are refreshingly open about their political experiences too.

Oh I think the name and logo (looks like MS Paint) are completely terrible too but w/e it will be forgotten and mostly irrelevant.

Was shocked at how good their first podcast with Bill was (Bill had the self-awareness to largely just shut up during the whole thing) and then their own spin-off pod was also very good, a brisk listen.

The Lampley pod before that was pretty amazing, though. And I'm not even a big boxing fan.

The Lampley episode was great. I could basically listen to Simmons talk to anyone.

Although I might skip out on the Lampley one if everyone is saying that it's bad.

Subbed, thanks for the thread OP. Most of us were still using the thread when Bill announced his HBO show. Hope this thread is active.

so far my favorite podcast are the:

Political Podcast With Jon Favreau and Dan Pfeiffer
All the Juliet Littman Podcast
The Pivot with Tate
Bills Podcast sans Jacko

still can't do andy greenwald and chris ryan.

Brinbe

They've been hitting it out of the park so far. It's basically grantland without Bristol locking them down to a certain degree. One can only hope Lowe/Barnwell somehow make it across in the future.

I second/third that the political podcasts have been really fucking good with a surprising amount of candor. It's funny that it seems a lot of like poligaf opinion condensed into pod. I also loved the Lampley episode from last week. So good.

And his NBA pods with Haralabos Voulgaris and Michael Rapaport have been amazing.
You know that Burgess Meredith was a world-class stickman, right? the best

ryseing

Listened to the latest episode today, enjoyed it.

Minus Tate being a homer it's decent for an outlet that doesn't have a dedicated college sports writer. I miss Holly and Titus now more than ever.

Subbed, thanks for the thread OP. Most of us were still using the thread when Bill announced his HBO show. Hope this thread is active.

I listen to the pods on a daily basis so I at least will be in here commenting on what I think.

I love the Watch, but I've been noticing Chris talking over/stepping on Andy's thoughts a lot more lately. Though it's always been kind of a thing with them.

jay23

Definitely his worst podcast guest yet. I totally agree about the Lampley interview, I'm not a big boxing fan but I try to watch all the really big fights.

"My dad died when I was five so I had to remember everything or I'd lose it."

Thats such a great quote. It was fun listening to the creation of the sideline reporter lol. And also his list of Mt Rushmore boxing fights which I should definitely go back and watch.

They need Zach Lowe.

Zach might like the relative stability of ESPN, however.

Then again, how stable is ESPN, in the face of cord-cutters and subscriber woes?

I honestly don't see Zach leaving, ESPN is more stable than joining the ringer. He's also a guest on Rachel Nichols new NBA show The Jump.

NBA fans will follow him no matter where he goes so It's best for us if he leaves ESPN and has more freedom. We get him and Bill on a podcast again which I really miss.

DominoKid

I honestly don't see Zach leaving, ESPN is more stable than joining the ringer. He's also a guest on Rachel Nichols new NBA show The Jump.

NBA fans will follow him no matter where he goes so It's best for us if he leaves ESPN and has more freedom. We get him and Bill on a podcast again which I really miss.

jeez they're giving everybody a show over at ESPN these days.

Definitely his worst podcast guest yet. I totally agree about the Lampley interview, I'm not a big boxing fan but I try to watch all the really big fights.

Thats such a great quote. It was fun listening to the creation of the sideline reporter lol. And also his list of Mt Rushmore boxing fights which I should definitely go back and watch.

Zach and Bill get on the front page of ESPN constantly. That means a lot. I can't see them leaving that. They are also both NY guys and I don't know if Bill wants that West Coast/ East Coast split.

ryseing

As a proud d00kie, the last thing I want to do is listen to a podcast hosted by a UNC fan and a Maryland fan.

I'm a member of the Wolfpack and found it tolerable. Just turn your brain off when Tate starts talking about Carolina. Mal fortunately isn't too biased.

Just finished the inaugural political pod. Very impressive gets for a burgeoning podcast network but needs a Republican in a third chair.

gazele

Banned
Zach and Bill get on the front page of ESPN constantly. That means a lot. I can't see them leaving that. They are also both NY guys and I don't know if Bill wants that West Coast/ East Coast split.

Which ESPN did basically to spite Simmons (and keep those two around I'm sure)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Really enjoyed the Tollin podcast and looking forward to the Duchovny one. Let us now move on and never speak of Jay Glazer again.

They're both that good. They should be on the front page of ESPN. Doesn't seem that ESPN allows you to link directly to a writer, though.

I'm a member of the Wolfpack and found it tolerable. Just turn your brain off when Tate starts talking about Carolina. Mal fortunately isn't too biased.

Just finished the inaugural political pod. Very impressive gets for a burgeoning podcast network but needs a Republican in a third chair.

Him going there probably has to help. It's the people who went to app or another small college that are Carolina fans that are the worst.

I am a wolf pirate so having to stomach too much Carolina love is annoying. I might try and give it a go since you said it wasn't too bad.

Gigglepoo

Simmons announced that The Ringer is launching an NFL podcast in April! We already guessed that with the hiring of Robert Mays, but I'm excited to get confirmation and a date. I wonder who his co-host will be.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How do I get the newsletter out of promotions/spam?

Gmail/Android.

Drag it to inbox and then it'll prompt you if you want to do that for future correspondence. I think you have to do it on web though to get that prompt.

ryseing

Him going there probably has to help. It's the people who went to app or another small college that are Carolina fans that are the worst.

I am a wolf pirate so having to stomach too much Carolina love is annoying. I might try and give it a go since you said it wasn't too bad.

So true. Carolina T-shirt fans are the worst.

Political pod is now called "Playing Politics". DLing now.

Strong JS this week as well. I think the best format for that thing is discussion about just one celebrity. Reese isn't as interesting as the life and times of TSwift but I did enjoy hearing about her disastrous MTV VMA appearance.

Curufinwe

For a guy who has left a trail of burned bridges behind him and gotten into trouble for running his mouth so many times, Simmons sure is holier than thou about Billy Corgan.

Maybe Simmons should fake his own death and see if that's enough to get all the people who despise him and his giant ego to let bygones be bygones. I suspect it wouldn't.

geestack

playing politics is probably my favorite of the new podcasts, it's a fresh angle rather than just a continuation of the grandland days

seems like they're pushing tate into the foreground more and more since he was leading the nolan podcast

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Duchovny's shaq story was brilliant.

Yep! Was it just me or was Simmons kind of underselling Duchovny's stories? They were mostly really good and Simmons wasn't really reacting, seeming more interested in moving on to the next thing. I'm probably just being hypercritical. :p Was a surprisingly good pod in any event.

seanoff

Yep! Was it just me or was Simmons kind of underselling Duchovny's stories? They were mostly really good and Simmons wasn't really reacting, seeming more interested in moving on to the next thing. I'm probably just being hypercritical. :p Was a surprisingly good pod in any event.

I think it's more, OMG this stuff is great, I need to get as much of this as I can rather than meh, I don't find this interesting.

ryseing

playing politics is probably my favorite of the new podcasts, it's a fresh angle rather than just a continuation of the grandland days

seems like they're pushing tate into the foreground more and more since he was leading the nolan podcast

I like Tate but he sounds so inexperienced next to Juliet and Chris. I'm sure he'll get there in time but the Nolan podcast was brought down by him. Would have been much more interesting with just Juliet/Chris.

Duchovny's stories were awesome, yeah. Very interesting listen.

geestack

I like Tate but he sounds so inexperienced next to Juliet and Chris. I'm sure he'll get there in time but the Nolan podcast was brought down by him. Would have been much more interesting with just Juliet/Chris.

Duchovny's stories were awesome, yeah. Very interesting listen.

totally, his age definitely comes across when he's riffing on things with two older, more experienced podcasters. he's kind of a bro, but he's also only 22; when he dropped that he was like 13 in 2005, that made my head spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom