• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FBI finds Russia bribed way into U.S. atomic energy; nuclear deal still went through

theWB27

There is little to report in testimonies behind closed doors. No real leaks of anything explosive Priebus or Spicer said. Just an investigation progressing but no real meat (yet).

I'm typing to your assertion that this thread hasn't blown up because it's not against Trump. When threads against Trump barely move along nowadays.

Well, there it is. This is the only thing Trump and Republicans and right wing idiots like Hannity and Bannon will need to say the real scandal is an Obama and Clinton scandal.

And the news just makes me hate Hillary and Bill Clinton even more than I do now. Why does it sound like the Obama Administration was either not notified of this investigation? Or were they?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Well, there it is. This is the only thing Trump and Republicans and right wing idiots like Hannity and Bannon will need to say the real scandal is an Obama and Clinton scandal.

And the news just makes me hate Hillary and Bill Clinton even more than I do now. Why does it sound like the Obama Administration was either not notified of this investigation? Or were they?

bb59_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

This actually sounds really bad. From the article:

Better to grab the quotes from the original article on The Hill:

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/355749-fbi-uncovered-russian-bribery-plot-before-obama-administration

"They also obtained an eyewitness account — backed by documents — indicating Russian nuclear officials had routed millions of dollars to the U.S. designed to benefit former President Bill Clinton's charitable foundation during the time Secretary of State Hillary Clinton served on a government body that provided a favorable decision to Moscow, sources told The Hill."

The fact that, specifically, "nuclear officials" as opposed to some unspecified "officials" (Newsweek article dropped the "nuclear" part from that quote) is rather concerning. What were nuclear officials doing routing millions to the Clinton Foundation at this time? If it's innocent, then why the extreme interest and condemnation from the FBI?

Get. Money. Out. Of. Politics.

This is not some "purity test", like many call it, the left likes to do.
This is just common sense. Money corrupts, and even if it doesn't its hard to deny the allegations.

This is just common sense. Money corrupts, and even if it doesn't its hard to deny the allegations.

Politicians should not have charities, it's a bucket that all sorts of shady people can pour money into.

Mission accomplished.

Lunar15

Not sure why this is a feather in the right's cap. Doesn't this just further prove that Russia has compromised most of our government and lend credence to the idea that they sabotaged the election?

This ultimately proves what we've known, the Obama administration was really bad at countering this ever present threat.

Not sure why this is a feather in the right's cap. Doesn't this just further prove that Russia has compromised most of our government and lend credence to the idea that they sabotaged the election?

This ultimately proves what we've known, the Obama administration was really bad at countering this ever present threat.

IMO, it shows that regardless of the party affiliation of those at the top, those that rise there all continuously and mercilessly sell out the well-being of their citizen base and the long-term sustainable future of the country that they are sworn to protect ---- all for sustained power & wealth for them and their closest associates.

Regardless of Blue or Red, D or R, the beat goes on and the pillaging continues relentlessly. Most of the partisan fights & drama are contrived to distract us from this collective pillaging.

I wonder how far Putin and Russia have gone to influence the US public. It is more than just "fake news"?

Like, was their larger goal to route the money in a way that made it look like it tied Hilary to stuff? Just trying to wrap my head around the scope of things is crazy.

Also, why are is the alt celebrating this? It fucking puts the US in jeopardy. How dumb and and narrow can these people be.

PJV3

Aren't you jumping the gun a little bit, I can see the Russians trying to butter up people, I'm still not seeing anything concrete outside of the trucking company.

Maybe I'm just used to the republicans investigating the Clinton family nearly all my adult life(feels like it anyway).

Neoweee

I agree, but what does this have to do with this story? This is about Russia giving kickbacks to the company itself, and not politicians. The investigation should have percolated up to the White House and tanked the Russian purchase of the company, but it wasn't about bribing politicians.

Uh... what? Did you read a different article? Do you even understand the scandal that Hillary was accused of, or what this evidence actually shows? Why are you blaming the Clintons for this? Donations to the Clinton Foundation don't at all explain why the purchase was unanimously approved by all of the departments that needed to okay it, including Obama, unless you're accusing Obama of also being bribed (which you aren't, I guess).

Maxim726X

Always makes for a great soundbite, but in reality this is impossible.

People in power will always have influence. It's been that way since the beginning of human existence.

Of course, steps could and should be taken to attempt to limit the power of money in politics, but it's naive to actually believe that anyone can legislate out the political influence that money brings.

lol

Thread limps at 2 pages and drops quickly from the front page. I'm pretty sure the thread would have been a lot hotter if Trump or his allies were implicated.

I guess we are even lucky the thread was created at all.

Maybe this forum just isn't properly aligned with your areas of interest. I'm sure 4Chan is all over this...

trembli0s

The FBI knowing all of this and either failing to disclose, or willfully obfuscating on the matter, sets a lot of red flags off.

Don't fall for this shit again. This is the same Clinton Cash "plant a story in liberal media" hit job that worked against the Democrats the first time. It's literally just regurgitating the same debunked Uranium One story with a few new unsubstantiated details.

They tried the same thing with Seth Rich during the Comey firing, but got caught on it.

There's zero evidence in the Hill article that Hillary Clinton (or Obama) were bribed, or had any knowledge of the FBI investigation. The donations to the Clinton Foundation all took place long before this deal was being brokered.

Most telling, the byline on The Hill story credits the former editor of the Washington Times and a former producer for Fox News.

Don't fall for this shit again. This is the same Clinton Cash "plant a story in liberal media" hit job that worked against the Democrats the first time. It's literally just regurgitating the same debunked Uranium One story with a few new unsubstantiated details.

They tried the same thing with Seth Rich during the Comey firing, but got caught on it.

There's zero evidence in the Hill article that Hillary Clinton (or Obama) were bribed, or had any knowledge of the FBI investigation. The donations to the Clinton Foundation all took place long before this deal was being brokered.

Most telling, the byline on The Hill story credits the former editor of the Washington Times and a former producer for Fox News.

I was wondering if the vagueness of the article was just poor writing. Perhaps not.

jkanownik

I was wondering if the vagueness of the article was just poor writing. Perhaps not.

There are a lot of vague references that could be made specific.

And I’ve never seen an explanation of exactly what harm could come from the current situation. If it was truely dangerous the government had pretty broad authority in matters of national security. Shouldn’t they be working on reducing the threat if it exists?

Honestly, the way Putin went after Hillary, I can't help but wonder if all this backfired somehow and he truly was worried about her getting into power. Gonna be funny if Trump is suddenly anti-Russia now.

Neoweee

Honestly, the way Putin went after Hillary, I can't help but wonder if all this backfired somehow and he truly was worried about her getting into power. Gonna be funny if Trump is suddenly anti-Russia now.

Trump isn't anti-russia, nor will he ever be. That's like the only issue he has remained entirely consistent on.

There are a lot of vague references that could be made specific.

And I’ve never seen an explanation of exactly what harm could come from the current situation. If it was truely dangerous the government had pretty broad authority in matters of national security. Shouldn’t they be working on reducing the threat if it exists?

One little detail that constantly gets (purposefully) misreported by these propagandists is that 20% of U.S. uranium was being sent to Moscow, which sounds real scary and bad.

The truth is all the mines remained under the control of U.S. subsidiaries and no uranium was being exported. The company doesn't have an export license. It's used in U.S. power plants. That's why it posed no national security risk.

Ac30

So they used his information to prosecute a wide-ranging racketeering case, and then refused to allow him to speak to the Senate and/or press? It doesn't seem that absurd to me that they'd have him sign an NDA, then again I know little about FBI/DoJ investigations.

There was corruption going on and it was never brought forward. And in fact, the sale of the uranium went on despite the government knowing about all of this corruption. So he's coming forward. He wants the right thing to be done, but he cannot do it unless he is released from the NDA," she added.

Well, the SJC hearing should be fun. Guess the question is how much the admin knew in 2010, and if that was in any way related to the sale. I'm also like 50/50 on this being Benghazi-style nonsense that'll get played until the midterms.

I'm typing to your assertion that this thread hasn't blown up because it's not against Trump. When threads against Trump barely move along nowadays.

If we get a news story about anyone connected to Trump having an email from a Russian, or a meeting with a Russia, we will get a couple pages. This is a story about the Clinton Foundation getting millions from Russian criminals while Hillary was Secretary of State and shortly before a huge uranium deal was made with Russia that Hillary, among others, had to sign off on.

MIMIC

Banned
Ummm....wow. This sounds cartoonishly corrupt...and frankly, just stupid, considering how Russia is supposed to be the boogieman now. And in making all of those findings, Mueller was the FBI director at the time.

whatatwist.jpg

I'm a little stunned.

One little detail that constantly gets (purposefully) misreported by these propagandists is that 20% of U.S. uranium was being sent to Moscow, which sounds real scary and bad.

The truth is all the mines remained under the control of U.S. subsidiaries and no uranium was being exported. The company doesn't have an export license. It's used in U.S. power plants. That's why it posed no national security risk.

Are you fucking serious? If this is true, that makes this reporting, and the first two pages of this thread, infuriating.

Aters

Trump might actually be a 4d chess player.

"You want to hear Russian ties? Here's Russian ties!"

He's still a evil man, but not as stupid as people think. Also the Harvey Weinstein case.

Are you fucking serious? If this is true, that makes this reporting, and the first two pages of this thread, infuriating.

Yet Russians still successfully promoted their interests in the US through bribing government officials under Obama administration (not himself). Even if it's not a nuclear security issue, is it not worrying?

He's still a evil man, but not as stupid as people think. Also the Harvey Weinstein case.

Yet Russians still successfully promoted their interests in the US through bribing government officials under Obama administration (not himself). Even if it's not a nuclear security issue, is it not worrying?

Which government officials?

I suppose if you only care about this issue as a way to score cheap partisan points. There are some people who actually think Russia is successfully engaging in nefarious operations against the US and we seem unprepared.

Also, the stupid 4D chess truther crap has come back in a big way today. I guess people need more comforting denial in order to avoid the reality of the situation.

If we get a news story about anyone connected to Trump having an email from a Russian, or a meeting with a Russia, we will get a couple pages. This is a story about the Clinton Foundation getting millions from Russian criminals while Hillary was Secretary of State and shortly before a huge uranium deal was made with Russia that Hillary, among others, had to sign off on.

a.) The Clinton Foundation donations came from Canadian businessmen, years before this deal. The new story alleges "Russians" gave money through an "eyewitness account" but provides no proof.

b.) Hillary Clinton was part of a nine agency committee that provided oversight but had no power to approve or veto the deal.

This is drudging up an old story that has been widely debunked, throwing in some new details and a few anonymous quotes, and seeing if it will stick this time.

Earlier this year, Fox News blatantly invented FBI sources and quotes to sell a "Seth Rich was the Wikileaks source and Hillary had him killed" narrative to distract from the Comey firing. They got caught and retracted the story, and everyone moved on with zero repercussions. This is what they do. It's muckraking nonsense.

Whitewater. Benghazi. Seth Rich. Uranium. This time we got Crooked Hillary! Just you wait and see!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Okay? Like are we gonna call obama russia's puppet now? I mean it doesnt really matter. Where exactly are people going to go with this whole "russia controls everything" narrative. Obama admin and the government under him colluded with tons of corrupt and dictatorial powers. And so? Its no different from Bush or Clinton

Brakke

Banned
The fact that, specifically, "nuclear officials" as opposed to some unspecified "officials" (Newsweek article dropped the "nuclear" part from that quote) is rather concerning. What were nuclear officials doing routing millions to the Clinton Foundation at this time? If it's innocent, then why the extreme interest and condemnation from the FBI?

It’s kind of tricky to fixate on “nuclear official” here, since “nuclear official” and “nuclear businessman” is the same thing in Russia. There’s only the one state corporation. “Nuclear official” kind of implies that the motives were driven by Russian national security or weapons-development interests, but they could just as easily been motivated by innocuous business interests in mining and processing operations for ultimate sale to power plants.

It’s hard to untangle, just going by that term.

Chumly

This. It’s hilarious to think that people actually believe that Russia somehow bought Hillary and then gave the election to trump. You think this wouldn’t have come out earlier if it was the case?

Brakke

Banned
This article is so astoundingly bad.

effectively sending more than 20 percent of the U.S.’s uranium to Moscow.

In 2011, the Obama administration gave the green light for Rosatom’s Tenex subsidiary to sell uranium to American nuclear power plants​

Straight up contradicts itself in two subsequent sentences. How is being allowed to sell uranium to American power plants in any way “sending” uranium to Moscow? The subsidiary isn’t allowed to export the uranium! Actually moving it to Russia remains tremendously illegal.

None of the paragraphs in this piece actually follow from one another. Just such sloppy work, nothing offered in context. Lots of scary words but no real understanding on the part of the writer.

I don't think there is much too this story. The Snopes article incorporated this news information from TheHill but it didn't change much about their assessment.

Still this is unnecessary controversy and shadiness.
I think going forward politicians as deeply involved in financial games, donations etc. will just not be seen as impartial and independent anymore.

I agree, but what does this have to do with this story? This is about Russia giving kickbacks to the company itself, and not politicians. The investigation should have percolated up to the White House and tanked the Russian purchase of the company, but it wasn't about bribing politicians.

The allegations are the there was pay to play involving the Clinton foundation.
Foundations like that are exactly what I meant by "money in politics".

Always makes for a great soundbite, but in reality this is impossible.

People in power will always have influence. It's been that way since the beginning of human existence.

Of course, steps could and should be taken to attempt to limit the power of money in politics, but it's naive to actually believe that anyone can legislate out the political influence that money brings.

Sure, but the way it currently is in the US its essentially legalized bribery.
Random ass congressmen receive more donations than entire parties in countries like Germany. Merkels entire party receives about 1 million € in donations a year. The second largest party about 1/3 of that.

In the US shit is just off the charts.

This is drudging up an old story that has been widely debunked, throwing in some new details and a few anonymous quotes, and seeing if it will stick this time.

Earlier this year, Fox News blatantly invented FBI sources and quotes to sell a "Seth Rich was the Wikileaks source and Hillary had him killed" narrative to distract from the Comey firing. They got caught and retracted the story, and everyone moved on with zero repercussions. This is what they do. It's muckraking nonsense.

Whitewater. Benghazi. Seth Rich. Uranium. This time we got Crooked Hillary! Just you wait and see!

This story is from NY Times and The Hill. You think they are trying to make something stick to Crooked Hillary?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Trump already tweeting about this, of course.

President Dummy said:
Uranium deal to Russia, with Clinton help and Obama Administration knowledge, is the biggest story that Fake Media doesn't want to follow!

Top Bottom