• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel 2 | OT | The best Android phone gets better

Jeffrey

Other than the note 8 which released phones have more? Without the bloatware manufacturers/carriers put on their phone i'll take the pixel with 4 over other phones with 6 when Android P rolls around.
Oneplus 3 - 5 are the notable US ones. Not sure if there are any relation to the ram but op3 still runs are snappy or snappier than 2017 stuff so extra ram can't hurt. Especially if you play a bunch of mobile games.

Also if $400 got 6gb of ram, I can't imagine them being too costly for a multi-billion dollar global company.

When you are cutting corners while raising the price...

Gimme all the goods you can and I'll be happy to pay. Otherwise... Maybe a soft recommendation.

reKon

Banned
These "_____ phones are crap because of ____ software" posts are all trash. They have actually kept getting better and better to the point where it doesn't matter for most people. Actually more importantly, if you really do care, Nova launcher has rendered that argument about stock Android be complete shit. You can even get through Pixel launcher on your phone of you really want.

Yes, Pixel probably offers the smoothest peformance, but I wouldn't be suprised if One Plus 5 is on the same level (with faster animations). Or Sony flagships. Even Note 8 is beast this year due to Samsung optimizations on their software and 6 GB of RAM. Like most reviewers said, the camera is the highlight of the Pixel 2. It's beast mode.

The only thing I wish it was better in was the quality of photos when you zoom in. Isn't that where Note 8 and iPhone 8 have it beat?

spuckthew

Ordered last night. CPW say it'll be delivered to store sometime tomorrow - hopefully I'll be able to collect it before I leave work, otherwise I'll probably just wait until Friday.

Went with the non-XL2 in white as the XL2 is too big for my dainty hands (plus it's just too expensive for my liking). The size and weight of the non-XL 2016 is near perfect for me, but I just wish the screen was a smidgen bigger because the absolute best phone I've ever owned in terms of size/weight/screen is the Galaxy S6 Edge. 5-inches is almost a bit too small, but I mean it's pretty much fine. At least the screen on the non-XL2 seems to be of better quality than the POLED on the XL2 (lol LG)!

I really think the XL looks ugly. The super oblique rounded corners of the display look really bad with the thick side bezels. Makes the display look like it's sunken into the device rather than flowing on top of it like the Galaxy S8, iPhone X, and even the LG V30 do. I honestly think the regular Pixel, even with the big chin and forehead, looks much cleaner and more timeless.

I was definitely on board with the Pixel 2 XL until the reveal. The next day I ordered the V30 and have been quite pleased so far. The only thing that's missing from the V30 is the dual front speakers that the Pixel 2 XL has and Oreo [which will come at some point]. On the other hand the V30 brings to the table way more than it loses to the XL 2.

I'm thinking of just using the Google Live case maker to make my own Panda case, because I really like that colorway.

Trp3TuG.png

snacknuts

we all knew her
Initially pre-ordered the XL, but ended up cancelling because I don't want a phone that big. Ordered the Pixel 2 and I should have it in about a week. Steamed about the headphone jack, but the camera sold me. My first gen Pixel is the best phone I've ever used by a country mile, so I'm more than happy to stay with this brand. I'll be trying to cop the Pixel buds if and when they go on sale. $159 is too rich for my blood.

The only thing I wish it was better in was the quality of photos when you zoom in. Isn't that where Note 8 and iPhone 8 have it beat?
No

Jeffrey

Also what's with this not being hdr certified?

V30 is. No other phone at this price range not supporting hdr,for what little content there is atm. Still though. I'm paying a grand for a phone, I want it all.

Aeana

Mine won't ship until next week since I ended up being indecisive about color and canceling my first order and placing a new one. Oh welllll.

Portman

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread for tips since I finally gave in and upgraded from my Galaxy S4 to a Pixel 2. Will be going to pick it up tomorrow and my anxiety about upgrading has waned after reading positive reviews for it. Seeing people in here praise the initial model along with a friend of mine has me reassured too.

It dawned on my that I'll need to get a new car charger for it since mine is the type with an attached cable. Any ideas of the type of charger it will need for the fast charging? I'm guessing USB C and a high wattage?

LogicStep

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread for tips since I finally gave in and upgraded from my Galaxy S4 to a Pixel 2. Will be going to pick it up tomorrow and my anxiety about upgrading has waned after reading positive reviews for it. Seeing people in here praise the initial model along with a friend of mine has me reassured too.

It dawned on my that I'll need to get a new car charger for it since mine is the type with an attached cable. Any ideas of the type of charger it will need for the fast charging? I'm guessing USB C and a high wattage?
Damn from S4 to P2. Hell of an upgrade! That S4 lasted a long ass time.

Kitoro

As good as these phones seem, I haven't paid more than $200 for a phone in years. I've been lagging a year and change behind the cutting edge because it's so much cheaper that way, and I never notice any strain or bottlenecks from last year's tech.

I've been using a Nexus 6 that I bought for $200 on Amazon during Black Friday week 2015, and it's still going strong. In fact, I'd be happy to stick with it if 7.0 and beyond didn't essentially kill my camera and yield chronic speaker buzz.

I'm eyeing the Moto Z Play Droid for around $240 or Pixel XL 32gb for around $420 on eBay. I like the Z Play for its unbeatable battery life, but the Pixel XL is calling me for its superior quality and guaranteed, timely updates for at least another year.

Is the Pixel XL still a fantastic phone for $420? I figure if I go for that this year, it'll easily keep me satisfied for 2 years, then I can shoot for a Pixel 3 XL for around the same price in 2019.

It's not that I can't afford to get a Pixel 2 XL, but rather that I don't feel comfortable walking around with a $900+ device on me at all times. I've never dropped a phone in my life, and always use cases/screen protectors, but I just can't imagine how I'd feel if I were somehow to lose or break a $900+ device...

Nipo

As good as these phones seem, I haven't paid more than $200 for a phone in years. I've been lagging a year and change behind the cutting edge because it's so much cheaper that way, and I never notice any strain or bottlenecks from last year's tech.

I've been using a Nexus 6 that I bought for $200 on Amazon during Black Friday week 2015, and it's still going strong. In fact, I'd be happy to stick with it if 7.0 and beyond didn't essentially kill my camera and yield chronic speaker buzz.

I'm eyeing the Moto Z Play Droid for around $240 or Pixel XL 32gb for around $420 on eBay. I like the Z Play for its unbeatable battery life, but the Pixel XL is calling me for its superior quality and guaranteed, timely updates for at least another year.

Is the Pixel XL still a fantastic phone for $420? I figure if I go for that this year, it'll easily keep me satisfied for 2 years, then I can shoot for a Pixel 3 XL for around the same price in 2019.

It's not that I can't afford to get a Pixel 2 XL, but rather that I don't feel comfortable walking around with a $900+ device on me at all times. I've never dropped a phone in my life, and always use cases/screen protectors, but I just can't imagine how I'd feel if I were somehow to lose or break a $900+ device...

Pixel 2 is $650 if you are ok going with tmobile you can get $325 cashback and an additional $125 from another promo on slickdeals. Makes the phone end up costing you $200. the 2XL would end up being $400. At that price it seems like a solid deal.

llien

No audio jack. (why, google? have you got overpriced accessories to force consumers to buy?)
No OLED.
"Best phone", right.

LogicStep

Just received my moment case. That lens sure looks high quality and heavy. The case itself seems nice and simple. Will probably just use this case. I thought maybe I'd want to get a regular case for day to day and leave the moment for when I want to take pictures.

br3wnor

The Pixel 2 XL reviews have got me drooling.

Dumb question, but there’s no way to get an Apple Watch to function decently w/ an Android, right?

Between that and my Airpods, it’s the biggest barrier getting me from jumping ship. Already reconciled w/ losing iMessage, but the watch/airpods aspect is really strong for me. Do the google ‘airpods’ work similarly as the Apple ones where you just plug them in your ear and they start working? I could convince myself to give the Airpods to my wife and justify getting the Google ones if they have the same ease of use.

Losing Watch would really suck though.

Kthulhu

No audio jack. (why, google? have you got overpriced accessories to force consumers to buy?)
No OLED.
"Best phone", right.

They are both OLED.

I agree the headphone jack deal is BS, but aside from the Pixel Buds Google doesn't seem to be interested in selling you anything to compensate for the lack of a headphone jack like Apple. The USB C audio they use is also an open standard, so at least your not locked into their stuff. I know that isn't ideal, but it's better than what other OEMs are doing.

The Pixel 2 XL reviews have got me drooling.

Dumb question, but there’s no way to get an Apple Watch to function decently w/ an Android, right?

Between that and my Airpods, it’s the biggest barrier getting me from jumping ship. Already reconciled w/ losing iMessage, but the watch/airpods aspect is really strong for me. Do the google ‘airpods’ work similarly as the Apple ones where you just plug them in your ear and they start working? I could convince myself to give the Airpods to my wife and justify getting the Google ones if they have the same ease of use.

Losing Watch would really suck though.

Airpods will work but not nearly as well. The Apple Watch will not work at all.

Kitoro

Pixel 2 is $650 if you are ok going with tmobile you can get $325 cashback and an additional $125 from another promo on slickdeals. Makes the phone end up costing you $200. the 2XL would end up being $400. At that price it seems like a solid deal.

That sounds like a fantastic deal, indeed, but I'm on Verizon with a 10 line family plan for $214 a month all-in, $21.40 per line. I don't think any other carrier can touch that, so Verizon's got my business til they find a way to kick me off this amazing legacy plan.

DTU

Banned

What's the $125 deal?

Can't decide on activating this phone on T-Mobile or Fi. I bought the phone unlocked outright because I wanted to avoid having a contract, but the T-Mobile deal is pretty sweet for the XL cost. Though I also think I might save just as much over the next two years by sticking to Fi because it appears to be much cheaper. Hmm.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking of just using the Google Live case maker to make my own Panda case, because I really like that colorway.

Oh, I had no idea you could do plain colors and didn't have to use a photo. Interesting... I wish you could get a discount for getting a solid color because $40 seems steep unless it's a really good case.

Nipo

Can't decide on activating this phone on T-Mobile or Fi. I bought the phone unlocked outright because I wanted to avoid having a contract, but the T-Mobile deal is pretty sweet for the XL cost. Though I also think I might save just as much over the next two years by sticking to Fi because it appears to be much cheaper. Hmm.

tmobile promo doesn't lock you into a contract. You can cancel as soon as you get the cashback in 4-6 weeks.

Oh, I had no idea you could do plain colors and didn't have to use a photo. Interesting... I wish you could get a discount for getting a solid color because $40 seems steep unless it's a really good case.

Well you still have to use a photo - but I basically just downloaded a solid black background image and used that.

If I end up doing that I will post pics. I'm just hoping to get it right so that the lines match up.

Jon Armdog

I've had a Pixel 2 for a week if anyone has any questions!
I can't be too candid but happy to clarify things.

Why can't you be candid?

Can you speak to size/feel in hand versus other phones you've had. Mostly curious about how it feels and looks compared to the Galaxy S7.

Jeffrey

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Well you still have to use a photo - but I basically just downloaded a solid black background image and used that.

If I end up doing that I will post pics. I'm just hoping to get it right so that the lines match up.

Oh. Well, in that case, it looks like I won't be doing it. But I look forward to seeing your pictures and hope it turns out well!

taco543

I didn't see an answer, but anyone have any suggestions for usb c earbuds? I just want some cheap ones to use at work during lunch, I don't want to constantly carry that dongle around with me too.

Kthulhu

Scathing piece on the screen from a verge writer.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/18/16489756/google-pixel-2xl-awful-lg-oled-screen

I'm curious how I'm gonna feel about the display in the long run. Was fine at the Verizon store imo, but that was only 5 min.

I'm more sensitive to framerate than color vibrancy and accuracy. Red green difficiency is pretty annoying! Especially with cooking meat.

Does make me less annoyed about a poorly calibrated display though.

Makes me glad I got the smaller one. Google should've paid the Samsung tax.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/18/16489756/google-pixel-2xl-awful-lg-oled-screen

I'm curious how I'm gonna feel about the display in the long run. Was fine at the Verizon store imo, but that was only 5 min.

I'm more sensitive to framerate than color vibrancy and accuracy. Red green difficiency is pretty annoying! Especially with cooking meat.

The majority of that article is the guy not liking how the color balance is set for the Pixel 2, and has very little to zero to do with the screen itself. I wouldn't quite call that scathing as much as his opinion.

There's very clear defects on the screen of the phone he received though. I'm wondering if that's common or not.

Hmmm. Pretty sure there's something up with the device he has, because it looks nothing like the Pixel 2 XL colors I've seen in literally every other video and screenshot, and I looked at a lot.

Also:
The Verge’s Creative Director James Bareham sides with Google on this, describing the Pixel 2 XL as the phone screen tuned most closely to professional displays: “it presents natural colors in terms of photos, but is a little dark,” he says. But here’s the real problem: James uses truly pro equipment that nobody is trying to sell to consumers; what he thinks of as accurate, what might technically be accurate, is not what the majority of us see on most of the devices we use.
Is that the "real problem" here? Hmm.

Nipo

That review is interesting:
"The Verge’s Creative Director James Bareham sides with Google on this, describing the Pixel 2 XL as the phone screen tuned most closely to professional displays: “it presents natural colors in terms of photos, but is a little dark,” he says. But here’s the real problem: James uses truly pro equipment that nobody is trying to sell to consumers; what he thinks of as accurate, what might technically be accurate, is not what the majority of us see on most of the devices we use."

So the screen is the most accurate compared to professional editing equipment and he things that is a bad thing?

Top Bottom