• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verdict on White People Reciting Rap Lyrics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get too embarrassed and stop singing when a rap song comes up to a particularly vulgar word.
Because it's a word used to insult women.

It's no biggie, but I just don't feel comfortable using it around women.

Should I start censoring myself when I sing the song Asshole?

KS3Po.jpg

nice coat

BadAss2961

I say nigga because its the word in the song, don't like it? Blame the artist. I don't see anything wrong with repeating what's in the song. I've gotten weird looks before, but the trick is I don't give a shit.
Yeah right, lol. Even if true, i'm sure you pick your surroundings very carefully.

Karaoke I get, but for the most part I was never one to recite lyrics. No one wants to hear that shit. I just like to listen and nod my head.

kingkitty

If the song has nigga in it then I'm gonna say nigga. My few black friends understand/do not care.

Also, bitch, cunt, whatever unsavory language the song demands. If I do find myself uncomfortable with a song because of the racial/sexual makeup of my surroundings, I wouldn't sing it in the first place lol, but I haven't experienced any need so far to censor myself.

I live in this bizarre paradox where I'm constantly surrounded by white-ass white guys, so technically I could say "nigger" freely with zero repurcussions, but I never actually have the opportunity to do so because no-one I know listens to rap music or generally any music that throws out that word freely

oh and because white guilt binds me from uttering it

GavinGT

Banned
I'd like to take this opportunity to mention that I have a newfound respect for Eminem. In fact, he's probably the best rap lyricist ever, based off his earlier material.

All the white people I know that rap along, they really lean into the word.

I saw Sean P do 'BBQ Sauce' and the white people in the crowd STILL recited the chorus like it was all good.

Dumb.

MIMIC

Banned
I'd like to take this opportunity to mention that I have a newfound respect for Eminem. In fact, he's probably the best rap lyricist ever, based off his earlier material.

I drink more liquor
to fuck you up quicker
than you want to fuck me up
for sayin the word....

GODLIKE

Riggs

Banned

He's not my favorite but I do like him, also he never drops the N word in his songs which is nice. At least I think ...

Another favorite white rapper is Wax, he can get kinda goofy but I can really relate to him.

I know everyone thinks like Yellow Wulf when they think of white rappers in the past year or so it seems , but Wax rocks you guys should check out his freestyle shit on youtube.

Anyway back to topic at hand.

Sai-kun

Banned
If I or a friend or anyone was legit quoting a song, I don't think I could bring myself to get all up in arms around saying "nigga" or any other word.

That said, I would not pick Niggas in Paris as a karaoke song (if that even exists) if my parents or family were around.

If I do find myself uncomfortable with a song because of the racial/sexual makeup of my surroundings, I wouldn't sing it in the first place

Basically, this!

Like most things in life, context is incredibly important and if you're ever in a situation where you think "maybe I shouldn't" then you probably shouldn't.

There are friends I'm comfortable singing along to rap lyrics with, but I wouldn't treat that as a pass to just do it whenever.

There are other situations though where it just has to be said, and avoiding it just gets silly. I was in a literature class once, and we were discussing the ZZ Packer story "Brownies" which, for those who don't know, is a fantastic short story about a group of girl scouts who believe that another scout called one of them "a nigger." The verbal gymnastics people were pulling off to read quotes from the text without saying it were pretty goofy, especially considering the professor had previously expressed amusement at everyone's embarrassment.

do you guys also say the "f" word?

Funnily enough, this same class had the exact same issue with a short story where a key piece of dialogue involves a father calling his son "faggoty." It was like everyone in the class thought that discussing the scene was a tacit endorsement of the insult, or something.

I personally don't have a problem with it, but if you are in a social, public environment (like a karaoke bar) you have to be cognizant of the fact that their might be people in the crowd who might (ignorantly) take offense to it and might start some trouble. Are you willing to deal with that?

someday

Banned
I don't really care for my own people using the word; I sure as hell don't want to hear anyone else using it. And I don't see any difference with it ending with an a or er. My $.02. I've passed out plenty Ghetto Passes but they never include that option.

This whole thing just seems like a few people are too fucking excited to use the word. I think that's why it bugs me.

This whole thing just seems like a few people are too fucking excited to use the word. I think that's why it bugs me.
This.

I mean what is more important, the veneer of authenticity that you think you attain with rapping the whole line, or the possibility that you are screaming a racial slur in public that will rightfully piss some people off.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm gonna uppercut wistfully into your dick lips,
Give daddy a kiss on the limp chest hip wrist,
Drunk off that drank off that Arbor mist,
Sizemore Skunk off that skank doin split grips,
I'm Sizemore, cousin,
Double dutch for fun dirty dozen,
Slammin me slammin you, i'm Sizemore again,
This is pogs, I'm hurt like the shit was Vietnam,
Fuck it, I'm Sizemore, bitch

It's because people have made it this "forbidden fruit" when in reality, in the context it is being used in rap songs, it is pretty damn meaningless and should be inoffensive.

It's funny that most gangster rap songs have incredibly offensive lyrics about hitting women and killing cops but if you're singing karaoke you don't even have to question if that's ok to sing but singing the n word not even in a derogatory way is a big issue.

This is a good point also. It's pretty obvious who's getting a kick out of saying it when it happens, though. I don't think everyone singing along to a Wu Tang song has a secret desire to yell racial slurs they know they shouldn't.

Synless

We've all been there. One of your white friends is having a good time and enjoying the beat--at karaoke, or maybe singing along with the Tupac song spilling out of macbook speakers at a shitty house party, or hell, just spitting a capella like he was in a wannabe cypher--and suddenly the entire room tenses up as he gets closer and closer to the line where 2Pac or 2Chainz or whoever the fuck it is kids listen to these days throws in a "nigga."

What will he do? Will he deliver a 100% faithful rendition, cashing in whatever cultural currency he earned by memorizing all the words to a three minute single? Will he mumble through the line in question, as if tiptoeing across a dangerous minefield? Pull one of those "to all my [ehh]'s out there" where he replaces "nigga" with a slight gasp and head bob, getting back on beat in time for the "s" (or "z", as the case may be)? Or perhaps just say "ninja" instead?

How do you react when someone does this? If you're the one rapping, which tack do you take? Does it depend on the racial/ethnic composition of the room?

(Not a bait thread; legitimately interested in people's thoughts.)

If it is part of the song, what is the big deal?

Blearth

Banned
I've been listening to rap since I was an itty bitty baby. I'm not gonna desecrate my favorite songs for any reason.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm hot, I'm Tom Sizemore
This is Sizemore, last year it was Ted Danson you motherfucker

It's because people have made it this "forbidden fruit" when in reality, in the context it is being used in rap songs, it is pretty damn meaningless and should be inoffensive.
Exactly. Also I don't think many people give it much thought and yell it out with glee. They just hear it so that often in movies and music that they its more weird to leave out out cause you might offend someone.

If I'm reciting rap lyrics or rapping along with lyrics when I'm by myself(which sounds specific but is definitely a daily occasion), I'll say nigga. I don't really have other opportunities because I don't particularly recite rap lyrics in front of other people really.

I mean, white fans are paying for albums too, and black artists are taking it. So I don't see why they can't sing the 100% faithful lyrics.
That said, I do see why they can't sing the 100% faithful lyrics

Yeah....rappers use the word when referring to white people and other races so it's a bit odd people try to act like they don't. I mean if you are truly against and hate the word you should be no matter who uses it.

Yeah....rappers use the word when referring to white people and other races so it's a bit odd people try to act like they don't. I mean if you are truly against and hate the word you should be no matter who uses it.

There is a historical context to the use of the word that you are missing. You can't de contextualise racial slurs.

The use of racial slurs amongst groups who were subject to them has, according to some people arisen as a way to lessen their power. Whether it works or not is a matter of debate in those communities. I don't have an opinion on it.

What matters is how you react to a racial slur. Someone else saying it doesn't make it okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom