• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 Reasons Women Are as Shallow as Men (According to Science)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck political correctness. And what does it matter if I'm encouraging their promiscuous behavior anyway? It's not like I will call them a slut to their face. That's just disrespectful.

I don't think you quite understand the problem if you think "I'll call them that, but only when they're not around to hear it" solves it.

I fuck whoever I want whenever I want, doesn't mean it's cool to use derogative terms. Even if I'm not particularly bothered by "slut", you consider it disrespectful.

So long as other women continue to call friends sluts (slut-shaming without the shame), I don't see the problem. You'll see I feel the same about many things.

So long as other women continue to call friends sluts (slut-shaming without the shame), I don't see the problem. You'll see I feel the same about many things.

I don't call anyone a slut... Gossip is for high school yo. I don't see slut being very widely used among women at all now.

I don't think you quite understand the problem if you think "I'll call them that, but only when they're not around to hear it" solves it.

I fuck whoever I want whenever I want, doesn't mean it's cool to use derogative terms. Even if I'm not particularly bothered by "slut", you consider it disrespectful.

It's just a way to describe someones behavior. Don't act like you've never mentioned to a buddy how "slutty" the wasted chick on the table spilling white wine on her white shirt was at the bar or party. I have. Although I would never call her a "drunk slut" to her face but rather lend a helping hand.

I forget I'm on GAF most of the time though where everyone is dishonest with their real world behavior because it's the internet.

It's just a way to describe someones behavior. Don't act like you've never mentioned to a buddy how "slutty" the wasted chick on the table spilling white wine on her white shirt was at the bar or party. I have. Although I would never call her a "drunk slut" to her face but rather lend a helping hand.

I forget I'm on GAF most of the time though where everyone is dishonest with their real world behavior because it's the internet.
No, it's you who don't seem to get the problem is the girl who shows she is sexually active is called a derogative term, just cause, and that is what makes so many other girls not want to be open about it.

And no, I'm usually the slut, not the one brofisting about it.

Yes, you are a veritable treasure trove of logical fallacies.

It's not a fallacy, just an opinion. And I don't even use the word, tbh.

I don't call anyone a slut... Gossip is for high school yo. I don't see slut being very widely used among women at all now.

Eh, it depends on the person. And less derogative is Jenna Marbles's video about "Halloween Sluts." So long as it's not used to offend, IDC.

It's not a fallacy, just an opinion. And I don't even use the word, tbh.

Eh, it depends on the person. And less derogative is Jenna Marbles's video about "Halloween Sluts." So long as it's not used to offend, IDC.

Do you and shadow not understand the difference in trying to own or take back a derogatory term and using it as a derogatory term?

Also talking about how "oh well you probably used it" isn't going to make for a great discussion shadow.

I don't follow. I said that I don't find any reason for the word to go away. People use it if they want... did I say something wrong?

I don't follow. I said that I don't find any reason for the word to go away. People use it if they want... did I say something wrong?

That's how I feel about it. Men are seen as sluts today too. I don't think their is such a negative stigma attached to being a slut today as maybe a decade ago.

Sigh.

Most people don't but this is something that's been all over the news, proving that "slut" isn't going away or losing power like you think it is.

Oh the George Town chick ok yeah I must admit I think I might have skimmed that thread for a few minutes so I don't know what is happening. But, that is whole different ballgame. You can't exactly compare a public attack on a young women on a national radio show to what's going on in peoples daily lives. The magnitude of his comment increases exponentially due to the national platform he sends his message on. No matter what his comment was it was going to spark some controversy because he is slandering her name on a national stage in a negative way.

Nobody likes to be insulted and embarrassed publicly and perhaps your right in the sense that their is still a negative stigma of being a "slut" when it's broadcasted to millions of people.

I'm saying it's becoming more acceptable on a smaller scale, a more personal type of acceptance between a click of friends with a who cares what they think attitude. I might be wrong, but it's what I notice in my day to day.

Oh the George Town chick ok yeah I must admit I think I might have skimmed that thread for a few minutes so I don't know what is happening. But, that is whole different ballgame. You can't exactly compare a public attack on a young women on a national radio show to what's going on in peoples daily lives. The magnitude of his comment increases exponentially due to the national platform he sends his message on. No matter what his comment was it was going to spark some controversy because he is slandering her name on a national stage in a negative way.

Nobody likes to be insulted and embarrassed publicly and perhaps your right in the sense that their is still a negative stigma of being a "slut" when it's broadcasted to millions of people.

I'm saying it's becoming more acceptable on a smaller scale, a more personal type of acceptance between a click of friends with a who cares what they think attitude. I might be wrong, but it's what I notice in my day to day.

Except the public defense is that she's not a slut and a woman with a fine selective monogamous sex life. Do you see what I am getting at. Just because people can joke and call each other slut doesn't reduce the harm or maliciousness the word contains when used in a derogatory manner. It's simply a word used to bring shame to a woman who is more sexually active or claim a woman as such because that's still seen as a bad thing in many circles, even progressive ones. Why defend the fact that Fluke isn't a slut so vigorously if the word and its meaning were at all acceptable?

Except the public defense is that she's not a slut and a woman with a fine selective monogamous sex life. Do you see what I am getting at. Just because people can joke and call each other slut doesn't reduce the harm or maliciousness the word contains when used in a derogatory manner. It's simply a word used to bring shame to a woman who is more sexually active or claim a woman as such because that's still seen as a bad thing in many circles, even progressive ones. Why defend the fact that Fluke isn't a slut so vigorously if the word and it's meaning were at all acceptable?

I see what your getting at and in Fluke's case I agree with you 100%. What Rush said was exploitative, untrue, manipulative and distasteful (going to be the bane of my stance),

But I have to disagree with your statement saying jokes and other downplays don't reduce the harmful nature of the word. While it may not immediately change the public's perception of what a "slut" is over time it's maliciousness will diminish especially as peoples opinion on sex becomes more open. And I believe it is with the younger generations including mine.

I see what your getting at and in Fluke's case I agree with you 100%. What Rush said was exploitative, untrue, manipulative and distasteful (going to be the bane of my stance),

But I have to disagree with your statement saying jokes and other downplays don't reduce the harmful nature of the word. While it may not immediately change the public's perception of what a "slut" is over time it's maliciousness will diminish especially as peoples opinion on sex becomes more open. And I believe it is with the younger generations including mine.

Slut becomes less malicious when the attitudes about female promiscuity no longer follow a double standard. Being able to joke in a small circle doesn't change the overall meaning of the word to everyone else in a larger context, and the fact that it's still a very damaging slur is evidenced by the Rush Limbaugh bullying. Even if I were to call every woman I know "slut" jokingly it wouldn't change what is a shaming tool. And saying that one can also call a man a slut is neither here nor there since they don't face the same double standard.

marrec

Banned

Peoples opinion about sex isn't the only thing the drives the negative connotations behind the word. It's an entire culture that isn't going away because your friends jokingly call each other sluts.

Pimpbaa

I fucking loath people who call women sluts when they are open about sex and sexual preference. Or call a woman a slut just because she dresses in a sexually appealing manner.

Peoples opinion about sex isn't the only thing the drives the negative connotations behind the word. It's an entire culture that isn't going away because your friends jokingly call each other sluts.

I disagree I think it will go away at some point because the cultural is shifting towards more tolerance.

marrec

Banned
I disagree I think it will go away at some point because the cultural is shifting towards more tolerance.

It doesn't matter what this generation views on sex or the word are, it will always be used in a specific way to hold back women in a specific way.

The Limbaugh example is perfect. It proves the word still has negative use with a great many people and whether Limbaugh is using it to slut-shame millions of women across the country or some guy is using it to slut-shame a girl who's rejected him to his friends it's always going to be used in this way.

squidyj

Then there are a lot of self hating blacks on Gaf.

Is this a joke? I don't get it.

Black guys have huge dicks.... gaf has huge circumfrence, but gaf doesn't identify as all black dudes so they are lieing and pretending to be white because they hate themselves?

I don't see any good reason to call a woman a slut. You may only intend for it to be a racy joke but it can be perceived as a very hurtful and demeaning label that hits right to the core of a person.

There are many reasons why a woman may behave promiscuoulsly. Sometimes it's to seek out love that she felt was lacking in her life, sometimes it's abuse or neglect, sometimes it's peer pressure, sometimes she's confused about what sexuality and its repercussions are in general. You just never know.

None of these things make a person deserve to be labelled with a slanderous remark about their character. No woman wants to be called a slut. Ever. It implies shame and disgust.

Very often the most promiscuous and "loose" women have the most horrendous inner pain imaginable and are merely acting out this pain the only way they know how. Labeling them a slut only makes them feel even more worthless and susceptible to make bad choices.

Slayven

Is this a joke? I don't get it.

Black guys have huge dicks.... gaf has huge circumfrence, but gaf doesn't identify as all black dudes so they are lieing and pretending to be white because they hate themselves?

I was joking about the shitty quality of race threads on Gaf.

Or your complete misunderstanding of the point it seems.

Do you enjoy essentially saying nothing? If you have a point, I would like to hear it. If you're just going to say "you're wrong," then please don't bother.

I'm aware of the negative connotations of the word. I'm aware that there are assholes who will use it to hold women back. But I find no reason to stop lighthearted, meaningless usage among friends. Like if a girl wants to joke that her friend is a slut. Why not.

To a lesser extent, it's like "thief" or "criminal." There are some people who will describe harmless behaviors as such, and use the terms hatefully to offend another person. But if friends say it in passing, as a joke... what's the problem.

I feel like I'm not communicating clearly enough here...

Nizz

That article conveniently forgot to mention that height can also be a factor to women regarding men. And I am completely fucked on that end...

squidyj

Do you enjoy essentially saying nothing? If you have a point, I would like to hear it. If you're just going to say "you're wrong," then please don't bother.

I'm aware of the negative connotations of the word. I'm aware that there are assholes who will use it to hold women back. But I find no reason to stop lighthearted, meaningless usage among friends. Like if a girl wants to joke that her friend is a slut. Why not.

To a lesser extent, it's like "thief" or "criminal." There are some people who will describe harmless behaviors as such, and use the terms hatefully to offend another person. But if friends say it in passing, as a joke... what's the problem.

I feel like I'm not communicating clearly enough here...

You're failing to see the context of discussion regarding Rush's use of the word particularly in terms of the defense of Fluke. That's the last I'll say to you.

Raxus

That article conveniently forgot to mention that height can also be a factor to women regarding men. And I am completely fucked on that end...

The article also forgot that sometimes it is just having the balls to talk to the opposite sex is all that is needed not just the look.

You're failing to see the context of discussion regarding Rush's use of the word particularly in terms of the defense of Fluke. That's the last I'll say to you.

Oh, then you have no idea what I'm talking about at all and are just wasting my time. No shit Rush's usage was in a derogatory manner. He's an asshole.

The article also forgot that sometimes it is just having the balls to talk to the opposite sex is all that is needed not just the look.

Confidence is good, which shows some degree of power (I think).

But yeah. Then again, I feel like if you look creepy, confidence won't help you. Ladies, opinion?

So uh... women have standards too? Who knew?

Are people really surprised to find out it is difficult to match two people together who think one another are attractive AND like eachother as people? 1.) Most people aren't all that great looking. 2.) Everyone has different tastes in personality of which there are millions of variations.

The odds just aren't with you. All you can do is try and improve your chances by being a moderately interesting person and trying to do the best you can/are willing to do to be attractive. A lot of it is luck though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom