• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

Sean

Banned
Pay $15 to be a Stubs Premeire member with AMC and watch as the points for free concessions come rolling in.

In fact, if you belong to any Loyalty program at a theater, you are making out with movie pass

Can confirm. Had like 7k AMC Stubs points the day I started MoviePass and now I’m at 35k points / $35 in rewards. They are running some nice bonus promos until the end of October so the points come in fast.

Rather than using them on concessions though I’m saving them to use for IMAX showings, probably Bladerunner and Star Wars.

Sweet. Have you found you've had to show up a little earlier to the showtimes because you're buying in person? I've always bought tickets online ahead of time for Metrograph.

For most screenings, no. For the ones I knew might sell out I'd going during lunch and reserve a ticket since it was a quick bike ride for me.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Can confirm. Had like 7k AMC Stubs points the day I started MoviePass and now I’m at 35k points / $35 in rewards. They are running some nice bonus promos until the end of October so the points come in fast.

Rather than using them on concessions though I’m saving them to use for IMAX showings, probably Bladerunner and Star Wars.

It's weird... IMAX showings at multiplexes are showing up as red in the app for me, but not RPX or 3D.

Is there any reason why I shouldn’t use my MoviePass to buy a ticket everyday just for the rewards points, even if I don’t plan on actually seeing the movie?

dickroach

the Alamo in Brooklyn put a little sign up on the kiosks that say MoviePass doesn't work with the kiosks and to get your ticket from person at the register. I went to the register cuz I didn't feel like waiting at the kiosk, but it's just a Mastercard, right? they couldn't really stop that transaction could they? I'm thinking they just wanna try and stop people from getting Alamo points or whatever the fuck

lush

The date just keeps on sliding back

rxm4oJT.jpg

Neece

I thought they already stopped allowing you to use Stubs with MoviePass (or at least outlined it in the terms of service).

Bookoo

I thought they already stopped allowing you to use Stubs with MoviePass (or at least outlined it in the terms of service).

If you go to the register some of the people may stop you, but I am not sure how they would actually catch it at the kiosk. It has worked for me even after they updated their TOS.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I will be waiting for a while.... they don't want to send these out because that is when they will start losing money. It makes sense.

The date just keeps on sliding back

Their customer service might be even worse.

- Submitted service request on 08/16
- Contacted them on twitter DM on 09/21
- Repeated both yesterday.

Guess what? Not a freaking peep. Got cards, but can't use one of them cause can't sign in to app. This is insane.

lush

Their customer service might be even worse.

- Submitted service request on 08/16
- Contacted them on twitter DM on 09/21
- Repeated both yesterday.

Guess what? Not a freaking peep. Got cards, but can't use one of them cause can't sign in to app. This is insane.
Who among us could have predicted <10 CS employees wouldn't cut it upon dropping the price to $9.95 a month for unlimited movies?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Is there any reason why I shouldn’t use my MoviePass to buy a ticket everyday just for the rewards points, even if I don’t plan on actually seeing the movie?

You must live next door to the theater if your transportation costs are lower than the cash value of the points.

Sean

Banned

They did outline it in their terms of service, but it still works perfectly fine.

With the current double points promo AMC Stubs is running now (through Oct 31) you only have to see like 5 movies to make up the $15 Stubs Premiere membership cost. So you'll recoup that initial cost very quickly and everything else is gravy. There's nothing to lose really.

Since AMC bought Carmike, they are converting most of the theaters in my area and making many of the auditoriums full-service dine-in. It sounds fucking terrible and distracting to have people bringing food all throughout the movie. Is that how it works?

Since AMC bought Carmike, they are converting most of the theaters in my area and making many of the auditoriums full-service dine-in. It sounds fucking terrible and distracting to have people bringing food all throughout the movie. Is that how it works?
Depends on how they set it up. I had dinner at an Alamo Drafthouse once and the seats were high enough off the ground that somebody could walk immediately in front of you and you wouldn't really notice much.

JLG-

Pretty much. There's a button next to your seat where you press when you want to order something. Then someone will run up to you ask you what you want, all during the movie.

And right when the movie is about to end like during the climax all the waiters storm into the theater to leave the checks. It sucks.

Pretty much. There's a button next to your seat where you press when you want to order something. Then someone will run up to you ask you what you want, all during the movie.

And right when the movie is about to end like during the climax all the waiters storm into the theater to leave the checks. It sucks.

There's a brewpub near me that uses a pencil and paper system and there is no talking by you or the waitstaff during the film. If you want a drink or food during the film you write it down and insert the paper into a clip on your table. They spot the paper and come get it and bring back your order, all while saying absolutely nothing. They bring the check when the credits start rolling.

It's kind of magic though I still prefer regular cinemas with no food or drink service.

I have to figure out how to use this to watch Blade Runner in Atmos with a good seat.

I guess I'll probably drive to the theater and buy the ticket at lunchtime.

I was going to get this, but apparently with the reserve seating theaters its a pain in the ass. Most theaters in my area these days are reserve seating.

They still haven't fixed my issue with not being able to select a seat at my theater. They emailed me back about a month ago saying it'd be fixed THAT NIGHT. It still isn't. Have contacted support twice since, with no response. Just sent another. Hope they get this shit fixed.

vulva

AMC Dine-In is an awful experience. They talk to you during the movie, stand in front to deliver the food etc. I really couldn't stand it. Alamo Drafthouse does it a bit better where everything is done through writing to eliminate discussion, but it's still sort of irritating.

I liked how Cineplex did it back in Canada the best. You show up early, get your seat, they bring you the food and all up until the previews are about to finish. You then pay for everything before the movie starts. You can eat through the movie, never have to get up but they just don't bring you anything new. To me that was the least distracting while still providing a dine in experience I've had.

Dan-o

I liked how Cineplex did it back in Canada the best. You show up early, get your seat, they bring you the food and all up until the previews are about to finish. You then pay for everything before the movie starts. You can eat through the movie, never have to get up but they just don't bring you anything new. To me that was the least distracting while still providing a dine in experience I've had.

I like my iced tea refills too much.

Boogs31

So has anyone who received their card with a different expiration date on it than is displayed in the app tried it out and seen if it works? I'm worried when I check in on the app it's going to be putting money on a card I don't have.

Edit: Tested my card out and despite the differences in the expiration date between the physical card and the app, it worked.

Sean

Banned

It's absolutely terrible, probably even worse than you're imagining. Here is a pic from my local dine-in AMC (which I avoid like the plague).

Those table top lights are super distracting and there's a bunch of shit on the table (like laminated menus, ketchup bottles, etc) that reflects that light right into your eyes. There's a brightly lit red button that you press to get service. There's waiters walking all around and taking orders, and although they do their best to be quiet and discreet, the customers don't have that same courtesy. Lady sitting next to me made the waiter list their entire drink menu to her as the movie was playing - annoying.

And basically in the final 20 minutes or so of the movie, the waiters are coming back and forth with checks and collecting payments etc. Ruins the whole movie experience.

dickroach

holy shit. those lights don't stay on during the movie, do they?
the little below/table lights at Alamo are totally non- distracting

Sean

Banned
holy shit. those lights don't stay on during the movie, do they?
the little below/table lights at Alamo are totally non- distracting

They do - stays exactly like that the entire movie. It's absurd. I can't imagine watching a horror movie or anything in that type of environment.

TB14

Signed up over a month ago. A couple of weeks later I got an email about the delay and then another one about a week after that. Cards status showed as shipped in the app for weeks before recently changing to processing. I got another email today saying that the card has just now been shipped and I should have it within 5 business days. Hard to believe they were this unprepared. I mean, what did they expect?

KyleCross

UUUUUH, WTF.

I ordered my card on August 17th. My card status in the app has said "Shipped" since a few days after that. Now my card status in the app says "Card Processing" and I get an email that my card will be mailed within a week.

Did they flat out just not mail my card over a month ago and lied about it?

dickroach

UUUUUH, WTF.

I ordered my card on August 17th. My card status in the app has said "Shipped" since a few days after that. Now my card status in the app says "Card Processing" and I get an email that my card will be mailed within a week.

Did they flat out just not mail my card over a month ago and lied about it?

they got like 100 times the people signing up than they expected. someone probably just accidentally hit the "shipped" button on everyone

Big Blue

Got my card today, ordered on August 16th. Since the Dolby Cinema showing costs the same as the standard 35 mm, can I just purchase the DC version at the kiosk? Will I get in trouble for violating the TOS?

JambiBum

I have a card, but can you get more than one ticket for a film with one account or do both my wife and I need them?

On the topic of dine ins, we have a few around here and they aren't nearly that obnoxious. They have slide in/out tables with no lights on them and the servers just use a flashlight to do most stuff so thats fine. The only real obnoxious part is when people get loud crunchy foods but that can't really be helped.

Top Bottom