• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| September 2017

Watched The Founder on the plane home from Tokyo. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Michael Keaton is great as Ray Kroc and the movie paints a fascinating insight into the early days of one of the world's most recognizable brands. Whilst I felt a little sorry for the McDonald brothers, I also could I understand the frustration that their indecision caused Kroc and the movie doesn't paint him in a completely bad light. I'd give the movie 8/10.

Hi everyone! New here, but I decided a couple months ago that I needed a new hobby and decided to watch more films instead of the 5-6 I did in a normal year.

No Country for Old Men is the fourth movie I've seen from the Coens after Fargo, True Grit, and Burn After Reading and it's by far the single most bleak movie of them all. Amidst all of the chaos is just this sort of encroaching despair and that eventually whatever luck Moss has will run out. The final scene with Carla Jean is also something that I'll have a hard time forgetting. Incredible film, and one of the most horrifying villains I can think of. It's my second favorite Coen film after Fargo.

After the unrelenting darkness of No Country For Old Men, I decided to watch Die Hard for the first time last night and it was insanely good and such a well-crafted action movie. John McClane is one of the most relatable action heroes I can think of from any film and the structure of using a single building with a fairly small number of villains (which made any sort of action scene much more exciting for me, every kill felt like it has a lot of weight behind it) and using the skyscraper's verticality gave some really interesting space for the action scenes.

Really though, what makes the movie work so well is that McClane just feels so human, with human problems and human reactions. He grimaces when he's hurt all the time, he swears a lot when he's panicking or excited, he talks to himself. He's just so good.

T Dollarz

Only watched 3 films in August. A damn shame, but also I haven't been going since I signed up for Moviepass and am still waiting for a card.

1. 20th Century Women
2. Colossal
3. Atomic Blonde

Already watched a couple this weekend. The Lost City of Z was pretty epic, with a killer supporting turn from Robert Pattinson. Tom Holland and Charlie Hunnam hold their own, too. The Lure was really good, with some amazing scenes, but for me didn't hit as hard as Raw did earlier this year.

kevin1025

Banned
Hi everyone! New here, but I decided a couple months ago that I needed a new hobby and decided to watch more films instead of the 5-6 I did in a normal year.

No Country for Old Men is the fourth movie I've seen from the Coens after Fargo, True Grit, and Burn After Reading and it's by far the single most bleak movie of them all. Amidst all of the chaos is just this sort of encroaching despair and that eventually whatever luck Moss has will run out. The final scene with Carla Jean is also something that I'll have a hard time forgetting. Incredible film, and one of the most horrifying villains I can think of. It's my second favorite Coen film after Fargo.

After the unrelenting darkness of No Country For Old Men, I decided to watch Die Hard for the first time last night and it was insanely good and such a well-crafted action movie. John McClane is one of the most relatable action heroes I can think of from any film and the structure of using a single building with a fairly small number of villains (which made any sort of action scene much more exciting for me, every kill felt like it has a lot of weight behind it) and using the skyscraper's verticality gave some really interesting space for the action scenes.

Really though, what makes the movie work so well is that McClane just feels so human, with human problems and human reactions. He grimaces when he's hurt all the time, he swears a lot when he's panicking or excited, he talks to himself. He's just so good.

The Big Lebowski, A Serious Man, and Inside Llewyn Davis are excellent Coen films to watch next! Miller's Crossing if you want to continue on their crime path some more. But you really can't go wrong with any of their films. Some are definitely way lesser, but still entertaining in their own way.

Another watch for me:

Baywatch

You start with a good song choice over the logos and start of the credits, and then... it all falls off the rails. I didn't get a genuine laugh in the movie, which is horrifying to have happen during a self-proclaimed comedy. I smirked once, which is technically a movement upward of my mouth, but that is a technicality. The special effects are bad, the writing is monotonous and devastating, the acting is scary, even though I know these actors can do better. It felt like everyone just wanted to hang out on the beach for a month or two of filming, and the movie happened to be the reason they did it. I will admit the movie is shot gorgeously, which is a plus, but that can't fix what's broken underneath. That was not fun.

zerotol

Banned
Any of you seen the Survivalist? I watched it and thought it was pretty good. Though I'm not a movie expert 😁

Sean C

No Country for Old Men is the fourth movie I've seen from the Coens after Fargo, True Grit, and Burn After Reading and it's by far the single most bleak movie of them all.
I'd highly recommend Miller's Crossing, if you're interested in more Coens work. That's my favourite of their films.

The Big Lebowski, A Serious Man, and Inside Llewyn Davis are excellent Coen films to watch next! Miller's Crossing if you want to continue on their crime path some more. But you really can't go wrong with any of their films. Some are definitely way lesser, but still entertaining in their own way.

I'd highly recommend Miller's Crossing, if you're interested in more Coens work. That's my favourite of their films.
Inside Llewyn Davis and O' Brother Where Art Thou were my planned next Coen watches, since other than Fargo what I've seen so far was mostly because of easy availability, but I'll keep these in mind too. My uncle said he thinks I'd really like Big Lebowski so we'll see how that turns out.

shaneo632

Been putting off All Eyez on Me for ages but finally watched it. 5.3/10. Nowhere near as bad as I expected thanks to some really solid performances but the direction is super amateur and the 140 minute runtime is fucking BRUTAL.

Divius

It comes at night 0/10
advertised as one thing and it's completely something else, it's not even entertaining.

It Comes at Noght was fucking awful. What the hell.

Yup. Trailer made it look like there was something to this film and then itsfuckingnothing.gif.
Hmm, I kind of liked the movie. Maybe this was because I didn't see any trailers or know anything about the movie at all before going in? Interesting how having certain expectations can possibly influence ones opinion.

Secured my tickets for The Shape of Water, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and The Death of Stalin at TIFF two weeks from now.
Normally I book time off and go nuts during the festival (caught like 30 movies in 10 days last year) but I'm only doing the single day this go around.
That's gotta be expensive...

The most I've seen in a single day for a film festival was 3. What are your times for all four in a single day?

Are you going to see Blood Simple? Now that's a dark Coens movie

Oh, and Die Hard for the first time? That's surprising

Yup. Trailer made it look like there was something to this film and then itsfuckingnothing.gif.
I liked it because it felt like a subversion of the genre.
In most any other post-apocalyptic movie,
we would have been following Will, and Paul's family would have been that seemingly nice group that helps them out but then reveals dark secrets and motives later

This is going to be tired and cliched comparison but a lot of the violence felt like it was ripped from The Last of Us, in a good way. That brutal desperate disturbing violence. The movie as a whole was sustained tension and dread, I see why people were comparing it to The Witch

Are you going to see Blood Simple? Now that's a dark Coens movie
Probably eventually, Coens have yet to provide a movie I didn't like so eventually I'll get around to seeing all of them.

Oh, and Die Hard for the first time? That's surprising
other than The Matrix and The Last Samurai I wasn't really allowed to watch anything rated R as a kid and when I was a teenage I thought it would just be a dumb blockbuster so I wasn't interested in it until like a year ago. I regret everything and I'm definitely going to watch it every Christmas now.

UrbanRats

I liked it because it felt like a subversion of the genre.
In most any other post-apocalyptic movie,
we would have been following Will, and Paul's family would have been that seemingly nice group that helps them out but then reveals dark secrets and motives later

This is going to be tired and cliched comparison but a lot of the violence felt like it was ripped from The Last of Us, in a good way. That brutal desperate disturbing violence. The movie as a whole was sustained tension and dread, I see why people were comparing it to The Witch
It's a stretch to call that a subversion.
Much like Last of Us, it followed genre clichès pretty closely, which made for a well shot but forgettable movie (Last of Us was memorable for other reasons, it being a videogame).
The deceptively exceptional trailer is probably part of the reason why it was on so many radars, but i wouldn't put it in the same legue of The Witch, as far as modern horrors go.

I'm not a fan of The Dark Tower books, but its hard to believe a series with a continuity like this, with such a rich diverse history, penned by an extremely talented author, condensed down 40 odd years of that into an odd mediocre mess of a film.

They do that by bringing one of the worst annoying child characters I can recall seeing in any film, bringing all that rich history down into a 90 minute slog where the story is both overly explained and under developed, with boring action, dull visuals and aesthetic choices.

Film is really awful, boring. Idris Elba is always, a bright spot in a bad film but he can't save it. Shame he's not interested in being 007.

It is just the worst thing. Spielberg could not recognize a good script for a drama if his life depended on it.

It gets a bit much in the third act I admit, but much of the movie is pretty ruthless stuff for Spielberg and I think he leverages the two central characters really well to explore the human aspects behind something that's a horrifyingly inhuman abstraction to most people.

I had a great film professor who hated it too, but I never asked him why because I hadn't seen it yet.

I barely watched anything in August, my Twin Peaks obsession became all consuming. That's ending tonight, though, and TIFF is next week, so back to movies soon.

That's gotta be expensive...

The most I've seen in a single day for a film festival was 3. What are your times for all four in a single day?

That's three movies he's seeing, not four. :)

I'm waiting for single tickets to go on sale tomorrow, gonna brave the ticketmaster site I guess (it sucks, but I don't feel like waiting in lines downtown at the box office this year). I didn't take any time off for TIFF this year, either, so I'm not sure how many I'm gonna see but unfortunately it won't be as much as previous years.

The most I've ever done in a day is five films. I did it once and swore never again, it was too exhausting. I've done four in a day on numerous occasions, but it has been a couple years since I've even done that. I'm getting too old.

I'm not a fan of The Dark Tower books, but its hard to believe a series with a continuity like this, with such a rich diverse history, penned by an extremely talented author, condensed down 40 odd years of that into an odd mediocre mess of a film.

They do that by bringing one of the worst annoying child characters I can recall seeing in any film, bringing all that rich history down into a 90 minute slog where the story is both overly explained and under developed, with boring action, dull visuals and aesthetic choices.

Film is really awful, boring. Idris Elba is always, a bright spot in a bad film but he can't save it. Shame he's not interested in being 007.
I felt the same way. Idris Elba is so good, but it's a damn shame the rest of the movie doesn't live up to him.

lordxar

Deep Blue Sea This was a rewatch and I love this film. Guilty pleasure maybe but at the end of the day its really not a good film. The cast is decent and I like the story but the cgi is bad and was bad back in the day which I can forgive but now that I've gotten further into film I can see that the editing is horrible too. I still enjoyed watching again but this is definitely a b movie through and through.

shaneo632

Paper Moon (1973) - 8/10 - Trying to get back into the habit of watching at least one classic movie a week, and try and get closer to seeing everything in the IMDB top 250.

This was just delightful. Really funny, dark at points, the O'Neals were fantastic.

Sean C

It is just the worst thing. Spielberg could not recognize a good script for a drama if his life depended on it.
Schindler's List doesn't have a good script, it has a great script (based on a highly compelling book). It quite deservedly won the Oscar.

Paper Moon (1973) - 8/10 - Trying to get back into the habit of watching at least one classic movie a week, and try and get closer to seeing everything in the IMDB top 250.

This was just delightful. Really funny, dark at points, the O'Neals were fantastic.
That's such a wonderful film. Sadly, it was all (and sharply) downhill from there for Peter Bogdanovich.

Funny Girl (1968): The penultimate film in William Wyler's storied directing career (he directed Barbra Streisand to an Oscar here, thirty years after Bette Davis and Fay Bainter became the first actresses to win Oscars in a Wyler film). You can tell this is based on a Broadway musical because the story is effectively divided in two (corresponding to the intermission), the first being a classic showbiz rags to riches story about Fanny Brice's rise to prominence; the second a melodrama about the eventual fall of Brice's husband Nick Arnstein.

Streisand is really good here, of course, in her star-making film role. She and Omar Sharif are a very good screen couple, which I was a bit uncertain of going in, because Sharif's performance is the main problem I have with Doctor Zhivago. The musical numbers (directed by Herbert Ross, shortly to begin his own solo directing career) are generally solid. The film is a bit too long overall, but it's pretty good.

Happy Labor Day America! No classes today, so pretty much just sat around, played board games with the family and watched whatever movies we could find on TV.

Saw the middle of Juno. Hadn't seen any of it before, despite being a huge Ellen Page fan. Definitely gonna check it out now. Seemed pretty good.

Watched the end of Mean Girls again. That ending speech really makes it more cheesy than it really is. Meh.

Sat through about 5 minutes of Ice Age before turning the channel. Boy, I forgot how bad that movie is.

Only thing we watched all the way through was Anna Kendrick's cleavage I mean Pitch Perfect. I'm sure plenty of people with lambast me for this, but I kinda like it. I mean, it's not amazing, but I don't think it tries to be anything it's not, and it's pretty enjoyable. It did however introduce the plague that is Rebel Wilson and putting "acha" in front of everything, so it does get points off for that. 6/10.

That third one looks kinda shit though.

Boogs31

It Comes at Noght was fucking awful. What the hell.

I certainly didn't enjoy the film and I never want to watch it again, but it was far from awful. From a technical perspective, it IS a great movie, but I understand and agree with the idea that as a whole package its very underwhelming.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Blunder Woman: 3/10. I thought this was supposed to be one of the good ones? Or is it just because it's a female protagonist? Wonderful, we can raise a generation of girls who aspire to mediocrity. Somehow worse than the sausage Marvel pumps out. Way way too long, it's nearly 90 minutes before Wonder Woman even emerges in a perfume ad, Cl2 by Dolce & Gabbana. Cringey sex humor and obnoxious slo-mo. How the fuck was Edith Piaf singing during WWI when she was 3 years old? Or did they think we were too stupid to notice. Did all the women on the island have an Israeli accent just to match Gadots? Fuck this shit.

Schindler's List doesn't have a good script, it has a great script (based on a highly compelling book). It quite deservedly won the Oscar.

If you like Spielberg's usual one-dimensional caricatures with utterly predictable arcs that are spoonfed to the audience every step of the way, perhaps, or nearly three hours to convey little other than that the Holocaust was bad, but individual actors can be aight.

Ridley327

Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Pretty extraordinary from beginning to end, if only because it's a big blockbuster film that features a main character that straight up abandons his own family to pursue his desire for closure and still wind up rather effectively sympathetic. The special effects and production design are superb, of course, but the human element is what really helps set this apart from the sci-fi films of its time, focusing on those that inch ever so closer to finding the reason why they've been "afflicted" with this ever-so strange sense of wanderlust. If it had been a different actor/writer/director combination, the film could very well have been a disaster on that front, but Spielberg has a strong guiding hand here that makes sure that while Roy isn't excused for his growing neglect, he's also not a bad person at heart, and thanks to a very confident performance from Richard Dreyfuss, Roy also has the emotional depth needed without coming off as being too extreme in one direction or the other. I was also rather impressed by how well Spielberg handled the scope of the story: while Roy is undoubtedly the main point of interest throughout, the parallel narratives of Lacombe's team finally getting all the remaining pieces to establish first contact and Jillian's harrowing journey to get her son back (the scene of the actual abduction is some rather effective nightmare fuel, despite the fact that it can be best summed up as "being menaced by spotlights") work beautifully in tandem as they all finally converge at the end for an extended finale that does a rather wonderful job of showing just how momentous an occasion first contact really can be. It's hard to imagine that this is 40 years old now, with how great a job the crew did with putting together all the details that brought this world alive, and indeed, being able to see this on the same kind of screen that housed so many big time blockbuster films of this year helps illustrate just how timeless the film has become.

BTW, got a ton of recommendations at panels for films that fit the bill for the horror marathon this year, so I'm sitting pretty now!

Blader

Can anyone tell me what exactly IB Technicolor is and if that's worth seeing in theaters? One of my local places is doing a double feature at the end of the month of North by Northwest and Vertigo both in IB Technicolor 35mm, but it's not clear to me what exactly that means.

That's such a wonderful film. Sadly, it was all (and sharply) downhill from there for Peter Bogdanovich.

Such an odd career trajectory. He made four great films in the span of about three years, then it was like someone flipped a switch off and he became a completely different person for the rest of his career.

He's a good interviewee, though.

kevin1025

Banned
Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Pretty extraordinary from beginning to end, if only because it's a big blockbuster film that features a main character that straight up abandons his own family to pursue his desire for closure and still wind up rather effectively sympathetic. The special effects and production design are superb, of course, but the human element is what really helps set this apart from the sci-fi films of its time, focusing on those that inch ever so closer to finding the reason why they've been "afflicted" with this ever-so strange sense of wanderlust. If it had been a different actor/writer/director combination, the film could very well have been a disaster on that front, but Spielberg has a strong guiding hand here that makes sure that while Roy isn't excused for his growing neglect, he's also not a bad person at heart, and thanks to a very confident performance from Richard Dreyfuss, Roy also has the emotional depth needed without coming off as being too extreme in one direction or the other. I was also rather impressed by how well Spielberg handled the scope of the story: while Roy is undoubtedly the main point of interest throughout, the parallel narratives of Lacombe's team finally getting all the remaining pieces to establish first contact and Jillian's harrowing journey to get her son back (the scene of the actual abduction is some rather effective nightmare fuel, despite the fact that it can be best summed up as "being menaced by spotlights") work beautifully in tandem as they all finally converge at the end for an extended finale that does a rather wonderful job of showing just how momentous an occasion first contact really can be. It's hard to imagine that this is 40 years old now, with how great a job the crew did with putting together all the details that brought this world alive, and indeed, being able to see this on the same kind of screen that housed so many big time blockbuster films of this year helps illustrate just how timeless the film has become.

BTW, got a ton of recommendations at panels for films that fit the bill for the horror marathon this year, so I'm sitting pretty now!

Look forward to seeing impressions! I will likely hop onto a few of them after if you like them!

Is Good Time a limited release? None of the theaters around me are showing it

I believe it is, but it is definitely opening to more screens. My go-to theatre got it this week after being a no-show for a bit. Hopefully it pops up near you as it goes a little wider.

Ridley327

Look forward to seeing impressions! I will likely hop onto a few of them after if you like them!

I believe it is, but it is definitely opening to more screens. My go-to theatre got it this week after being a no-show for a bit. Hopefully it pops up near you as it goes a little wider.

I was also made aware of the Korean Film Archive channel on Youtube, which is really awesome since they restored films that feature English subtitles. There's at least one film on there that got on the list as a result of that availability, so I am jazzed.

I was also made aware of the Korean Film Archive channel on Youtube, which is really awesome since they restored films that feature English subtitles. There's at least one film on there that got on the list as a result of that availability, so I am jazzed.

yep that channel is muy bueno

Was browsing the free movies on Vudu and saw Afternoon Delight on there, which I had remembered seeing a trailer for at some point. It got decent reviews for what I thought it looked like. I then saw that it made Quentin Tarantino's end of the year list when it came out, and said fuck yeah, I gotta see it.

It was... better than I was expecting. Not something I would want to watch again, but decent. It's pretty well shot, and the acting's pretty good too. The best scenes are the one of Kathryn Hahn and Josh Radnor (Ted from HIMYM) interacting. Their chemistry is great, and they feel like a real couple. The story is easily the weakest part though. It never goes any deeper than "be a good person" and the script is pretty weak too, with the most obvious stereotypes of PTA moms and dads. It does get better towards the end though, turning into a character study of a woman whose marriage and mundane life is actually tearing her apart. And the sexual stuff in the movie feels gratuitous at times, as if they put it in there just cause they could. But Kathryn Hahn really carries the movie. I feel like she's pretty underrated. She should really be in more stuff. 6.5/10.

Sean C

If you like Spielberg's usual one-dimensional caricatures with utterly predictable arcs that are spoonfed to the audience every step of the way, perhaps, or nearly three hours to convey little other than that the Holocaust was bad, but individual actors can be aight.
None of the key cast are caricatures. Schindler, in particular, is somebody with a very shaded personality. Amon Goethe is a psychopath, but he was in real-life too (if anything, the film toned him down).

My Neighbour Totoro (1988): Effortlessly charming, though the animation on Totoro and the cat bus when they're smiling is unintentionally(?) creepy at points.

Boogs31

Watched 4 movies over the last several days.

I Am Not Your Negro (9.25/10) - A truly great and emotionally powerful documentary.

Their Finest (8.5/10) - Achieved the difficult balance of being at times sad, at other moments heartwarming, yet also funny.

Wakefield (8/10) - Terrific performance from Bryan Cranston with a very unique, intriguing story to boot.

Colossal (6.75/10) - Considering how ridiculous the premise was, I wish the director hadn't taken the material so seriously.

Just saw Close Encounters of the Third Kind for the first time. Really enjoyed it. Only problem was that they played some Behind the Scenes thing before the film started and it showed really important parts of the film, it kinda ruined it. I wish I would have gotten up and walked out or closed my eyes... thought it'd be a short introduction but it felt like it went on for 8-10 minutes. It should have been after the film not right before it.

kevin1025

Banned
Just saw Close Encounters of the Third Kind for the first time. Really enjoyed it. Only problem was that they played some Behind the Scenes thing before the film started and it showed really important parts of the film, it kinda ruined it. I wish I would have gotten up and walked out or closed my eyes... thought it'd be a short introduction but it felt like it went on for 8-10 minutes. It should have been after the film not right before it.

Yeah, showing important parts of the film before is definitely not cool. Are they doing that before every screening? They should not treat every viewer as a second viewing, if that's the case. The anniversary is meant to bring in new people, as well!

UrbanRats

Goodnight Mommy is the best advertisement for abortion i've seen yet.
It's a nice, creepy horror, with a full on torture climax, but i would've appreciated it more, if it didn't try to pretend that painfully telegraphed twist, was a twist in the first place.

Goodnight Mommy is the best advertisement for abortion i've seen yet.
It's a nice, creepy horror, with a full on torture climax, but i would've appreciated it more, if it didn't try to pretend that painfully telegraphed twist, was a twist in the first place.
I have to say that I actually didn't suspect anything, which is surprising because I've seen enough horror movies that I tend to notice. I liked Goodnight Mommy as well; it gets quite brutal and disturbing, certainly doesn't pull any punches.

For me the most stomach clenching scene in the movie wasn't the shift into torture, but when
she trips and slams her face into the floor. You only get a split second and a moment of the sound, but ugh...so effective and just enough for you to feel it.

UrbanRats

I have to say that I actually didn't suspect anything, which is surprising because I've seen enough horror movies that I tend to notice. I quite like Goodnight Mommy; it gets quite brutal and disturbing, certainly doesn't pull any punches.

For me the most disturbing and stomach clenching scene in the movie wasn't the shift into torture, but when
she trips and slams her face into the floor. You only get a split second and a moment of the sound, but ugh...so effective and just enough for you to feel it.

I guessed it from the very first dialog, when
they go to unnatural lengths to not address Lukas, i was like "Oh this is another Fight Club?" And then every scene reinforced that point (a bit clumsily) over and over.
Also i really wanted to see
that tiny crossbow fired into someone!

I guess i was expecting something on the level of Borgman, so a bit of disappointment was there, but i still enjoyed it.

thenexus6

The Handmaiden Really enjoyed this. Park Chan Wook does not disappoint.

Logan Just because you have a 15 certificate doesn't mean every other word needs to be a swear word. I like old man Logan, but overall I thought the film was just alright.

hampig

You've logged 56 entries for films during August 2017.

Top 5 New Watches:

1. Jäniksen Vuosi (The Year of the Hare)
2. Rescue Dawn
3. Man of the West
4. The White Ribbon
5. The Invitation

I've been meaning to watch The White Ribbon forever. What did you think?

It comes at night 0/10

What an awful film, advertised as one thing and it's completely something else, it's not even entertaining.

Nothing of note happens and the ending just falls flat.

I liked It Comes At Night. I was hoping for a little more...
it, coming at night
, but I did enjoy it for what it turned out to be.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I had a great time with Hidden Figures. It's predictable and a crowdpleaser, but I loved every minute of it. The three leads were fantastic. After Moonlight it's a joy to see Janelle Monae in more movies. I hope she keeps landing more of these high profile roles, she sure chose her projects well up until now. I like Pharrell's songs in this too. It's an uplifting film I can see myself rewatching. 8/10

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Been putting off All Eyez on Me for ages but finally watched it. 5.3/10. Nowhere near as bad as I expected thanks to some really solid performances but the direction is super amateur and the 140 minute runtime is fucking BRUTAL.

It just feels like a made for TV movie with a budget and an amazing cast.

Top Bottom