• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

Sober

R3UmWLk.jpg

Pictured: The number of people who watch your favourite show. It's really not a lot. Sad!

Welcome to the 2017-18 TV season cancellations thread! I'm so sorry for the thread, but as we all know, if you cover President Donald J. Trump, it will definitely help your ratings. Bad for America, sure, but great for ratings! Did I fall behind on certain shows because I was too busy enthralled by the disaster that is The Trump Administration? Well, I guess I'd be lying if I said I didn't.

First: Why should you care? To quote Stump, from many moons ago:
Stumpokapow said:
Why care about cancellations?
- You don't want to follow a show that's going to get canned after a cliffhanger and then bitch endlessly how unfair it is that you never get to find out what would have happened.
- The faster shows are cancelled in the fall, the sooner you'll get to see midseason returning favourites and other new shows held for the midseason.
- Networks have a finite amount of time and space. The more shows get cancelled, the more pilots get commissioned, the more shows that are ordered to show, the more new shows you get to watch in the future.
- Ask yourself whether or not there are more shows cancelled before their time (OMG VERONICA MARS JOURNEYMAN JOHN FROM CINCINNATI TERRIERS FERRIS BUELLER THE TV SHOW CANCELLED BEFORE THEIR TIME!) or more shows that run years too long, spiral around the drain, decline in quality, and need to be put out of their mercy?

xW0KU1y.jpg

Pictured: San Diego Comic Con - President Trump announces the LGBTQ+ storylines (amongst many other Obama-era storylines) will be ending soon due to 'creative' differences.

ABC:
American Crime
The Catch
Conviction
Downward Dog
Dr. Ken
Imaginary Mary
Last Man Standing
Notorious
The Real O'Neals
Secrets and Lies
Time After Time

CBS:
2 Broke Girls
Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders
Doubt
The Great Indoors
The Odd Couple
Pure Genius
Ransom
Training Day

The CW:
Frequency
No Tomorrow
Reign (final season)
The Vampire Diaries (final season)

FOX:
24: Legacy
APB
Bones (final season)
Making History
Pitch
Rosewood
Scream Queens
Sleepy Hollow
Son of Zorn
You the Jury (the dumbest idea ever? or maybe not)

NBC:
The Blacklist: Redemption
The Carmichael Show
Chicago Justice
Emerald City
Grimm (final season)
Powerless

Other notable cancellations:
covfefe (covfefe)
Confederate Statues (Virginia, Baltimore, Kentucky, Florida, hopefully everyone else already)
Joss Whedon's thin veneer that he is 'totally a feminist' (Geeks, except the ones that model themselves after Joss Whedon)
Tyrant (FX)
Aquarius (NBC)
Beauty & the Beast (The CW, somehow this surprised us all that it hadn't died already)
Masters of Sex (Showtime, was also molested by a gorilla because of science)
Man Seeking Woman (FXX, didn't seek renewal)
Duck Dynasty (A&E, and now at least one great national nightmare is over)
The O'Reilly Factor (Fox News, because sometimes there is justice in this world)
Bates Motel (A&E)
Underground (WGN, because all lives matter, right? What about the White Slaves?)
Bloodline (Netflix, and so it begins)
Marco Polo (Netflix, ... and the floodgates are open)
The Get Down (Netflix, don't try to convince yourself otherwise)
Turn: Washington's Spies (AMC)
Dark Matter (SyFy)
Marvel's Inhumass (AssBC)

tht734l.jpg

Pictured: President Trump and his top aides calling the TV networks to cancel your favourite shows for all the pettiest reasons.

Reign (The CW)
The Vampire Diaries (The CW)
Halt and Catch Fire (AMC)
Sense8 (Netflix, will be receiving a conclusion)
Black Sails (Starz)
The Leftovers (HBO, you should watch it unless Damon Lindelof still torments you at night with the Lost finale)
Girls (HBO)
The Middle (ABC)
Scandal (ABC)
The Originals (The CW)
New Girl (FOX)

dJwhwVM.jpg

Pictured: White Supremacy, the only thing running longer than General Hospital or Days of Our Lives, with no cancellation in sight.

The Goldbergs - sixth season
Modern Family - tenth season
The Big Bang Theory — twelfth season
The Simpsons - thirtieth season (of infinity)
This Is Us - second and third seasons
Will & Grace - revived! for a tenth season

Let's take a moment and remember all the trials and tribulations we faced last year, like when [your favourite show] was totally on the bubble and it totally didn't get cancelled at the eleventh hour because it was saved by streaming deals?

2016-17 Thread

ZefZ4GV.jpg

Pictured: President Trump watching CBS's Star Trek Discovery on Air Force One... not that it would ever happen, there are too many minorities in the new one! And one of them is a captain too!

Sorry/Not Sorry.

Pictured: President Trump watching CBS's Star Trek Discovery on Air Force One... not that it would ever happen, there are too many minorities in the new one! And one of them is a captain too!

lmaooooooo

vypek

Excellent OP and subbed.

Didn't realize Pitch died. I heard it was pretty good but never checked it out myself.

Downward Dog...lol I don't see why that made it to air.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Maybe Netflix will save America.

Great thread, Sober. Love it.

Linkura

Bates Motel wasn't a cancellation but ok.

Can't believe it's that time of year again! My millionth year of lurking and my second thread participating. <3

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Titles from 2016-2017, bolded my favs:

2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Sometimes your best season is your only season...
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Sic Semper Tyrannis
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Moral of the story: Don't cheat on your wife.
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: The last season of a dying Bloodline
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Insurance doesn't cover the Hand of God.
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: 'Cause the rockers rock, but the Roadies roll.
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: The fun will end in 2018, it's Adventure Time!
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: This is the ending of the age of Aquarius
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Murdered in the Third (Season)
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: This was a triumph. Making a note here, tasty brains
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Any Given Wednesday except this and all future ones.
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Niki Glaser's Show is Not Safe in Trump's America
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Good riddance to bad rubbish, fuck Duck Dynasty
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Pizzagate is more realistic than Pure Genius renewal
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Yvette Nicole Brown free for Community reunion.
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Masters of Sex couldn't get it up for another round.
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Good, Girls Cancelled.
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Short May She Reign
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Maaaarco? ... Maaarco? ... Marco?!
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Well, she sank, so I guess she's not a witch.
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: It's the Falklands all over again, Starz!
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Girl Meets Glass Ceiling
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: No doubt that Heigl is ratings poison
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Unincorporated
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: 'tis but a Knick, 'tis but a flesh wound
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Man Finds Woman, Loses TV Show
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: No shirt, no shoes, no renewal
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Wait, Redneck Game of Thrones wasn't a hit?
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: FOX believes in jury nullification
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: FOX lineup to undergo elective Tommy John surgery
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Toto, I've a feeling we're not on NBC anymore
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: CW cancels low-rated shows you watched
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Rosewood was a sled. Also it's cancelled.
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: FOX leaves fans feeling hollow.
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Clock runs out, no men left standing.
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: If you're canned you can look and you will find me
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Time travel is impossible, at least on TV.
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Cancellation is a pre-existing condition.
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Won't you help to sing these songs of cancellation?
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Les Moonves personally turns Chestnut into glue
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Time travel IS possible, but only if you're Sony
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Damn millennials with their commercial skipping DVRs
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Catch me if you can, cancel me if you can't
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Lord Vulchazor will NEVER be cancelled
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Your face is what they call "a channel changer"
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: No Justice, no peace.
2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: Everybody's Free (To Cancel My Show)
2016-17 TV Cancellations: WGN secedes from Underground, citing "network rights"
2016-17 TV Cancellations: Ain't no time to wonder why, whoopie we're all gonna die.'
2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: Reed Hastings was Whispers all along!!!
2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: 24: Die Another Day
2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: Don't worry, Martin's gone to live on a farm!
2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: It's been a bad year for nasty gals.
2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: What will Ron Funches do with his life now?
2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: Keep TV out of this. We need TV. We got nothing else
2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: See it ain't so!

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

I don't even remember what half of these are for.

Patryn

Does Fox give Orville time out of respect for McFarlane, or does it die early?

At this point, I figure its best chance to avoid cancellation is due to not airing because of NFL overages or something.

Mindwipe

At this point, I figure its best chance to avoid cancellation is due to not airing because of NFL overages or something.

Depends on if they're committed via international sales.

9JKL won't have that luxury, as sitcoms don't sell abroad until they get renewed nowadays.

G0523

Ohh man. Fall TV is happening and fast! Cable and streaming are coming back sooner than I expected with You're the Worst (FXX), The Mindy Project (Hulu), and Broad City (Comedy Central).

I'm very much looking forward to this season, especially since we all need something to take our minds off of the real world.

Great OP as well, Sober!

Jhoan

RIP The Blacklist Redemption and Screen Queens. ;_: There were dozens of us that watched those shows and stayed loyal to the end. I loved the editing/cinematic style of the former as it reminded me of comic books a lot whereas the latter was resolved in a way that it was a satisfying conclusion. I'll miss Emma Roberts, Jamie Lee Curtis, and co on the small screen this fall as they will leave a void in my heart. I also appreciated the behind the scenes insights that TJBennett would provide. I hope he got a gig on a new, promising show.

I'm also a bit bummed out at Frequency getting canned even though I mostly kept it on as background noise. The main actress did a pretty solid job methinks.

Good riddance to 2 Broke Girls although we live in the age where Young Sheldon is a thing. CBS may be creatively bankrupt but as long The Big Bang Theory is a thing, I think we'll be getting spin-offs for years to come. Gotta milk that Chuck Lorre cow dry.

I'm personally looking forward to the return of the CW superhero shows, The 100, Riverdale S2, and Supernatural. Hopefully Super Girl and The Flash return to form this upcoming season because Arrow S5 was incredibly good from beginning to end with DCLoT S2 right behind it. I don't know how Arrow S6 is going to be able to top itself but I remain hopeful.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

They spent way too much money on it so I don't see them pulling it off the air. Even if it's a mega bomb, I think it'll still finish its run (maybe on Saturdays).

Great thread.

Scream Queens got cancelled huh? Missed that one.

You and everybody else right...seriously the ratings were beyond awful.

Joss Whedon's thin veneer that he is 'totally a feminist' (Geeks, except the ones that model themselves after Joss Whedon)

Best cancellation of the year. Performative male feminists are almost always secretly creeps.
I knew I was right about Dollhouse being sexist garbage. Yep still not letting that one go.

They spent way too much money on it so I don't see them pulling it off the air. Even if it's a mega bomb, I think it'll still finish its run (maybe on Saturdays).

Agreed. Shows almost never get pulled before their initial order is done anymore, I'm sure it will air somewhere.

Titles from 2016-2017, bolded my favs:

2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: This was a triumph. Making a note here, tasty brains

I don't even remember what half of these are for.

Braindead, the show that would go on to be the correct predictor of the 2016 election. :(

Oh god I just realized what the title of this thread refers to. TV was a mistake.

Almost everything finishes it's run these days. How many shows were outright cancelled last year, was it more than 5?

Decado

Noooooooo. I like Dark Matter. Syfy had been my go to for guilty pleasure shows for the past frew years. I hope they don't start moving away from sci-fi shows again.

Top Bottom