• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...what is Halo to you?

ThaPhantom

The original trilogy: Halo to me is balanced arena shooter multiplayer and an awesome campaign with high replayability. ODST was different but good too.

Anything after: Trying and failing to recapture what made the original 3 so good. 5 has come the closest in terms of multiplayer and Reach came the closest in terms of campaign. 4 was garbage on all fronts and 5 had crap single player.

But I was enthralled with Halo and the lore from the get go. I read all the original books and constantly replayed the campaigns to try to pick up any new nuggets of info I could. The atmosphere, gunplay, and enemy AI was always top notch and still holds up IMO to this day. I am actually planning on playing through all 3 next week.

Freedom of movement and wide gameplay spaces

Local pvp and coop

Rock paper scissors gunplay

Vehicle gameplay

5 seconds of fun theory

Colourful spaces and simple art design

Lombax

Banned
The time when I was younger, and decided on a random work day to go to the mall and buy an xbox to see what this Halo thing was about.
After that its, ODST and "All units".

The main games sadly all bleed together for me.

Halo 1 - godlike local co-op campaign, interesting multiplayer map design and weapon balance.
Halo 2 - awesomely designed multiplayer (fantastic ranked team matches and fun as hell custom games), godlike maps, superb vehicle handling.
Halo 3 - superb four player local/online co-op campaign, godlike multiplayer customisation, godlike vehicle handling.

Natural

Halo peaked for me at Halo 2 and died at Halo 4. The mess that was Halo MCC made sure I'd never buy another Halo game again.

Halo 2 is still the best game I've ever played online, no game comes close to the amount of time I played that.

jelly

Highly replayable campaign that can be tackled in a number of ways and messed about with. Simple art style that is clear and detailed with less noise. Simple story, more plot as you play instead of cutscenes and easy going characters.

Multiplayer that is simple, clear with deep options and community features. A distinctive set of maps that are fun and clutter free.

UI that is simple, well designed and feature rich.

Izayoi

Banned
Sprint has faaaaar bigger effects and implications than clamber.
That is fair, I suppose, but I hate how clamber has taken any calculation out of jumping other than "I PRESS BUTTAN"... The franchise has lost a lot of its quirky jump techs over the years and Halo 5 essentially puts the final nail in the coffin with clamber. No more reason for even the very basic crouch jump which is a goddamn shame. Old man yells at clouds, maybe, but I miss that kind of stuff.

And as I explained previously ads has pretty much fuck all effect on the gameplay.
Maybe so, but it has a huge impact on the game's presentation. Another layer of complexity for, as you stated, essentially fuck-all impact on actual gameplay. Why? It detracts from the simplicity that made Halo great in the first place. Every iteration since the first, the series has been encroaching on the idea that more is better, and it keeps throwing additional shit in your face (Reach was especially egregious in regards to this kind of thing, out of the Bungie titles, but 343 just absolutely ran with it) for little to no reason other than to seemingly distract from the core gunplay.

In my eyes, it's merely another erosion of the clean, methodical style of the originals...

JZA

Never had an N64, so this was my Goldeneye, i.e., first time getting highly involved with a multiplayer experience.

BriGuy

It was the definition of couch co-op and multiplayer. It was what we looked forward to after a long week of college and later graduate school. It was running over your increasingly pissed off friend in a warthog, honking and laughing as he accuses you "not playing the game right."

And then we grew up and moved on with our lives. New jobs, new cities, new families. It was great while it lasted though.

Apt101

I never got into it. I tried the first when it came out on PC a lifetime ago, felt like a slow, lumbering shooter compared to what I had been used to by then (long time PC FPS player by that point). I played about 30 minutes.

Never played another, not even for a second.

jem0208

That is fair, I suppose, but I hate how clamber has taken any calculation out of jumping other than "I PRESS BUTTAN"... The franchise has lost a lot of its quirky jump techs over the years and Halo 5 essentially puts the final nail in the coffin with clamber. No more reason for even the very basic crouch jump which is a goddamn shame. Old man yells at clouds, maybe, but I miss that kind of stuff.
Thats not true at all.

H5 has the most intricate and crazy movement and jumping tech in the series. It is seriously insane what good players can do in this game. Even amongst the pros the skill gap is huge. The difference between the movement of someone like Frosty (one of the best Halo 5 players in the world) and a mid league pro player is probably of the same magnitude as the difference between a mid league pro player and your average kid at home.

Whilst clamber took away what would be considered classical skill jumps it also opened the door to so much more interesting and impressive stuff.

ZBR

Halo to me is and always will be the late nights during summer break and weekends playing Halo 2 custom games since ranked games had been filled by standby-ers and eventually modders. The online community and custom games was where it was it though. Halo will be 1v1 on Lockout, 2v2 on Midship, and 4v4 on Acsension. Halo will be yelling No Scope and BXR-ing people (never got good at double or quad shot). Halo will be BR starts, noob combos, SMG/Plasma rifle dual weild, shotguns and swords. Halo is sword canceling to get out of maps, super jumping, watching Nakamura's killamanjaro montage, and MLG.

I spent countless of hours playing Halo 2 and don't regret a single moment of it. I love Halo 1 because it was the game my first friend showed how to play when I moved here (who actually like a brother to me now) and I have good moments with Halo 3, ODST, and Reach. Everything after that has just made me sad, I've played the campaigns and a bit of online from the new ones but they don't have the charm that the Bungie games had. It's hard to describe but when I play the Bungie games I can feel the fun and love they had making the game. With the 343 games I feel like that is missing, I feel like it's a machine making the game hence it doesn't have the human touch anymore. I'll keep playing them though if only because the Master Chief, to me, is second only to Mario. The day the Master Chief goes MIA, I'm out also.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
So many Ponies in here with comments like, *dead / irrelevant.

80K vierwers on Twitch lastnight suggest otherwise, SonyGaf

Oh look! It's the "You don't like Halo so you must be a sony shill!" post.

Surprised it took so long.

Halo 5 is a wasteland. After a 6 month break I tried to get rated in ranked team slayer and as often as not had to restart the search because it was taking so long and that was with the "expanded" search option before you even try to use that as an excuse. Even playing single digit Onyx in Halo Reach netted faster games. At the start of last year even solo searching I would have to simply call it quits because there were no games anywhere to find.

And lets look at twitch views without some big world championships going, oh, 500. Huge! (thats behind 3 seperate cods btw)

Last I checked, Halo 5 was still struggling to stay in the top 20 games on xbox live. Top 20....

Halo 3 had #1 locked down for 2 years and stayed within the top 3 from the day of launch right up until the release of Reach.

Even Halo Reach, the start of the downfall of Halo held top 3 for years.

And someone mentioned sales, 6 million? that's what? Half of Halo 3? Even though at the same point in the consoles lives the xbox one sold more...

GRaider81

Halo completely blew me away on OG xbox. Its a game ill always remember and ill always have in top 10.

Then it went completely downhill and I don't really know why.

marciocdb

Banned
I don't want to disrespect 343 guys but there's a huge difference between Bungie's Halo and 343's Halo...
To me, Halo isn't just about shooting, cover, more shooting, etc.. The original trilogy had that semi-open world feeling, with all that bizarre and mysterious history... You spend some time going from point A to point B without shooting anyone... just to trigger some switch...

I see 343's Halo as a MasterChief Call of Duty attempt.... while the original games had their own thing going on... their own style...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I played through the first 3 games but nothing past it:

Repetitive single player level design
Riding vehicles is fun
One of the more iconic theme songs
Shotty Snipes
Confusing storyline with way too much outside media needed to even begin to get a grasp what is going on

Seems like nobody really cares or talks about the franchise much anymore, I guess the one-two-punch of Destiny stealing its thunder and the failure of the XB1 really hurt it

kosmologi

I played through the first 3 games but nothing past it:
---

Confusing storyline with way too much outside media needed to even begin to get a grasp what is going on

Eh, what was there to understand? The og trilogy was pretty simple imo: Shoot some aliens, save humanity. Humans=good, Aliens=bad (except Elites), zombie-aliens=superbad.

Solid arguement, I'm convinced.
Nothing is going to change your mind. I think cod influenced halo, and you think it didnt.

I don't want any scoping minus a few weapons and you think it's fine and changes nothing.

What else is there to say?

Is anything going to change what you or I believe? I guess you didn't get that part

Of want to jump and be able to shoot any time I want, clamber disrupts that gameplay style?

Scoping in is not the same why? Because it isn't and that is a fact. If it's different then how is it the same? Your argument is that it's the same. But it isn't. If it was the same, the same period. We wouldn't even be having this conversation period.

Top Bottom