• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita version of Salt and Sanctuary releasing on March 28th

Maybe if a lot of people buy this, Sony/Atlus will port Demon's Souls to Vita...

gif-of-lisa-kudrow-laughing-gif.gif

Once upon a time, I thought this was going to happen. It runs on Phyreengine (which is compatible with Vita and has been used by quite a lot of games actually, so there's probably documentation out there) so was totally within the realm of possibility.

It's a shame how Vita has been effectively zombified at the level of OS/system support and manufacturing. The form factor and the hardware capabilities will be totally sufficient to get indie games for years to come. I'd love a version of Factorio or Risk of Rain on it for example.

You need to go buy the Vita version of Risk of Rain, it's ace ;)

i-Jest

If my analysis of PSN history is correct, this game has yet to have a sale, outside of a 10% discount for preordering. Maybe we'll see a small discount on today's Flash sale? Would definitely pick it up then.

Yeah, one of the reasons I haven't picked it up sooner was the lack of promo, besides the preorder launch. I vaguely remember reading once the Vita version launched there would be Cross-buy. I hope that still true.

spannicus

It's tricky to know. I've been waiting for the Vita to play it but at least I can always switch to the PS4 if it's not great. Vita port problems seem to mostly stem from low memory so it should be alright
Sickhead games have ported a few titles to Vita. They all look and play decent from what i know.

Oh, it was made by two people and they poured their hearts into the game. Well then, let's just pretend that the game is good even if it's shit. Actually, let's lower our entire expectation-bar for games with less developers than 10. And if gamebreaking bugs appear, or when the game is horribly designed; let's completely avoid those fact. Wouldn't want to hurt their feelings, right?
Right? This forum, man.

renzolama

It's relevant because people that haven't played the game look at reviews and instantly determine if it's worth a purchase or not.

Anything else you'd want to add to your bitter comment?

I don't think my comment was bitter, I was just pointing out that launching into a separate rant about how bad Dark Souls is seems like irrelevant bait for further argument unrelated to the discussion of Salt and Sanctuary. I didn't argue or refute any of your original complaints about S&S (in fact I agreed with one of them) because I think they're relevant to the discussion regardless of the fact that they may be unpopular.

People who loves the exploration and inter-connectivity of the zones in Souls would have a blast playing Salt and Sanctuary.

This goes for people who which covenants were more of a thing in Souls, this game also has you covered XD

Occam

Awesome news! I actually stopped playing the PS4 game after the second boss because I wanted to play it on Vita.

mieumieu

Once upon a time, I thought this was going to happen. It runs on Phyreengine (which is compatible with Vita and has been used by quite a lot of games actually, so there's probably documentation out there) so was totally within the realm of possibility.

You need to go buy the Vita version of Risk of Rain, it's ace ;)

Souls games dont run on PhyreEngine. That's fake news.

mieumieu

Oh wow, you mean this tweet?

So everything I ever thought about this engine was wrong...

Well, not everything. The engine is widely used by Western and Japanese devs, but not in this particular case.

This is the current year after all and Vita is near its end of life cycle. I would rather hope for Dark Souls series (maybe not III, but the first two is doable) to come to Switch but that's just me.

FDC1

Still nothing in Europe. Is it really coming today?

Edit: according to Ska Studios twitter, it looks like we could have a delay.

Skyzard

Banned

FDC1

Looking good!

Will buy as soon as I know the performance is decent.

Looking forward to it.

aww, just Europe or US too? Might be enough time for impressions.

@skastudios

There was a last minute problem that is causing the release to be delayed in EU. It still may work but waiting on answers.

James Silva‏ @Jamezila

Well, looks like we won't be launching on Vita in Europe for March 28th. Sorry, I'm not happy about this. America is still on at least.

Skyzard

Banned
@skastudios

There was a last minute problem that is causing the release to be delayed in EU. It still may work but waiting on answers.

James Silva‏ @Jamezila

Well, looks like we won't be launching on Vita in Europe for March 28th. Sorry, I'm not happy about this. America is still on at least.

Thanks! Will await US impressions, hopefully EU isn't far off.

MrS

Banned
A portable is the perfect platform for this game.
I don't get posts like this, or why anybody would wait for a Vita version before jumping in. PS4 was the perfect platform for S&S, hence why it released there first, and S&S isn't 'just' a Vita game. Don't be fooled by the art style, this game is as good as Dark Souls 3.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the Silva's outsourced the Vita port. I really hope they're working on a sequel to S&S 'cause I'd be there Day 1 for that.

Also, let's not bring ratings into the whole thing. Dark Souls is universally praised but that is also a fucking disaster of a game. Review critics mean jack because most people honestly have no idea how to even rate games. In the case of Dark Souls 1; "Oh the game is so good up until the late 60% in which it suddenly drops into the shitter. Hm, what do we give this game? Let's look at the other reviewers! Oh they ignored the fact that the game becomes a mess later on and they give it a 10 and praise it to be the best game of all time? Let's do the same! BEST GAME OF ALL TIME!"

Reviewers, especially when it comes to this genre, have no idea what they're talking about.

There is someone here who seems to not have any idea what they're talking about, but it's not the reviewers.

It's fine to not like a genre, don't waste everyone elses time shitting on generally liked games in those genres just because.

EricB

I don't get posts like this, or why anybody would wait for a Vita version before jumping in.

I always wait for a Vita (now Switch) version. My lifestyle is such that playing games does not really happen at home, but I do happen to have a little over an hour of commuting time each day. So it is either portable or nothing for some of us. Looking forward to finally playing this.

redcrayon

I don't get posts like this, or why anybody would wait for a Vita version before jumping in. PS4 was the perfect platform for S&S, hence why it released there first, and S&S isn't 'just' a Vita game. Don't be fooled by the art style, this game is as good as Dark Souls 3.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the Silva's outsourced the Vita port. I really hope they're working on a sequel to S&S 'cause I'd be there Day 1 for that.
Not everyone has a PS4. Vita versions are automatically the definitive version of PS games for me due to portability and my main gaming time being my commute.

MrS

Banned
I always wait for a Vita (now Switch) version. My lifestyle is such that playing games does not really happen at home, but I do happen to have a little over an hour of commuting time each day. So it is either portable or nothing for some of us. Looking forward to finally playing this.
Mad ting. Enjoy the game, it's fantastic.
Not everyone has a PS4. Vita versions are automatically the definitive version of PS games for me due to portability and my main gaming time being my commute.
Enjoy it.

NolbertoS

I'm waiting for LRG to make a physical edition of this game, along with Darkest Dungeon. Hopefully that mean LRG will have this game up soon to order

NolbertoS

Because not everyone wants to play a 16-32 bit game on the big screen. These indie games play better on the go, whether Vita or Switch. I've been gaming all my indie games on Vita and soon to be switch now. If you like PS4 fine, but everyone has different tastes

Top Bottom