• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

Mascot

Grassy

I'll have a look at that, I've picked the Ford Sierra Cosworth which was particularly touchy under braking in the first game.

If you can, check out the BAC Mono. I found it near impossible to drive without traction control with a gamepad in PCars. Might just be me...

I'll be getting my previews out soon. But here's a PCars2 Interview I conducted with Ben Collins a while back, all round top bloke. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lun1zDhs5Xc

Noted!

As always it´s a great video. Waiting on the Nic Hamilton one.

What was that Macau mention? I think it was a mistake... i´ll take it as a DLC hint.

I know the wording didn´t exactly say this, but it´s very suspicious, considering he could have said hundreds of other places instead.

fresquito

As always it´s a great video. Waiting on the Nic Hamilton one.

What was that Macau mention? I think it was a mistake... i´ll take it as a DLC hint.

I know the wording didn´t exactly say this, but it´s very suspicious, considering he could have said hundreds of other places instead.
Yeah, it cought my attention as well. But since English is not my primary language and I have not seen any talk about it, I just thought I didn't hear it right.

Fox Mulder

It is nice seeing this live streamed around and sms devs pop into chats. Saw a bit of the formula x car, wow.

Turn 10 hasn't done shit with Forza 7 since e3 besides post car lists each week with nothing new in them.

Bobnob

We pretty much know what Forza will be, (a solid pad racer, Forza 6 with sort of dynamic weather)is anybody expecting anything different?

Plus SMS have to show there game after what happened with No 1.

I think Forza has driven itself in a corner with their car count. The 3D models are pretty future proof, but they can't change the handling much to make it feel good with a wheel.
If they wanted to step up to Assetto Corsa, rFactor and so on, they would need to actually model suspensions for +700 cars, then test drive them, tweak the tire model and inertias to make them handle realistically outside the input limitations they put on the controller handling, then test drive all of them with a gamepad only to find out they now have too much understeer and are too spin-friendly under braking, then fine tweak the controller aids for each car. That would be like a 2 year long project for a 25+ people team that also takes tons of time off their main physics gurus.

Compromising on realism of simulated cars in anything - suspension geometry, electronics, angular mass data, 3D model detail, engine sound modeling.... you're setting yourself up to do it all over again and again and again. Look at GT5's premium car models and how they were supposedly future proof. They ditched all of them (447 premium, over 1200 total) and it took them 5 years to get to about 150 cars again. Forza is now more or less stuck with their handling and sound approach, where you won't feel much of a difference between cars with a controller and cars behave wrong over the limit with a wheel (and feel "game'y" from the FFB, not like a car, not like a modern day sim).

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to pay 10€ per car like in iRacing, but I'd pay 4-5€ if what I get actually feels individual and "hand made" in terms of physics and sound and I wouldn't have to buy it all over again in 2 years.

danowat

Banned
I've said it before, 'we' aren't the demographic for FM.

Back on topic, 6 weeks till release, has it gone gold yet?, can't be far off......

terrible

Banned
How is Project CARS 2 in VR in terms of performance? I haven't even bothered installing pCARS 1 since I got my Rift since I heard it runs like shit. Is that the case with pCARS 2 as well?

edit: I'm watching this now. He says it runs better than the first game but by how much I don't know.

Mascot

How is Project CARS 2 in VR in terms of performance? I haven't even bothered installing pCARS 1 since I got my Rift since I heard it runs like shit. Is that the case with pCARS 2 as well?

edit: I'm watching this now. He says it runs better than the first game but by how much I don't know.
The first game runs fine in VR. Atoms in a thunderstorm is fucking epic.

danowat

Banned
Gamer Muscle Project CARS 2 physics and FFB first impressions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX-mn4CZnIo

Pretty much confirms everything that has been said previous, cars more planted, tyres more pliable, limit of grip doesn't bite your head off, more realistic all round, however that said, I've have heard in more than a few places that it's less realistic, and not for "hardcore" sim racers as it's too easy...........

That old chestnut.........

Lots of people praising the AI, which is always good to hear, and very, very pleased to see normal cars being able to use RX tracks.

Looking forward to trying it out myself, but am going to wait for someone else to be a controller ginuea pig!

danowat

Banned
Why? You'll have your PC, FFB wheel, pedals, and Rift headset by this time next month..!

I really won't!

If SMS wants to chuck a preview copy of the PS4 version my way though I'll make some decent controller settings for people on day one though ;)

fresquito

Pretty much confirms everything that has been said previous, cars more planted, tyres more pliable, limit of grip doesn't bite your head off, more realistic all round, however that said, I've have heard in more than a few places that it's less realistic, and not for "hardcore" sim racers as it's too easy...........
You gotta love these fellows saying it's not like Assetto Corsa, thus it's not realistic. What about you compare to real life? Ah, my bad, you know shit about real life race driving. Okay, time to move on.

Edit: You is not you, danowat, in case you ask.

You gotta love these fellows saying it's not like Assetto Corsa, thus it's not realistic. What about you compare to real life? Ah, my bad, you know shit about real life race driving. Okay, time to move on.

Edit: You is not you, danowat, in case you ask.

You know, if Project CARS 1 had better force feedback, it would be the easier and faster than Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, Automobilista, iRacing and even RaceRoom. rFactor's and Assetto Corsa's "Pro" versions are used by professional motorsport teams for track learning and driver training. iRacing is driven by more professional race drivers for fun at home than any other sim and RaceRoom gets handling input (and name-rights) from the actual drivers of the ADAC Masters (GT3) and DTM for example. If you then look at the lap times that the fastest sim racers can get out of those games, all of them already quite a lot faster than real life (maybe with the exception of Assetto Corsa, if you don't set the track-surface to ideal).

So, I don't know how much harder and slower pCARS2 is compared to 1, but I'm pretty sure that pCARS2 would lose this "real life" comparison with the other sims for lap times and can - at best - be on par in terms of reproducing the handling characteristics of the real cars.

But it doesn't matter. Especially the lap time comparison is worth almost nothing. You get the general performance data right (and don't fudge the figures to make stuff work!) and then make it feel good and "real enough", voilà, you made a sim that people will like. If the fastest guys on the planet can get 10% faster lap times than is possible in real life or if the average iRacing driver is 10 seconds slower per lap, won't matter if it feels good and right.

fresquito

You know, if Project CARS 1 had better force feedback, it would be the easier and faster than Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, Automobilista, iRacing and even RaceRoom. rFactor's and Assetto Corsa's "Pro" versions are used by professional motorsport teams for track learning and driver training. iRacing is driven by more professional race drivers for fun at home than any other sim and RaceRoom gets handling input (and name-rights) from the actual drivers of the ADAC Masters (GT3) and DTM for example. If you then look at the lap times that the fastest sim racers can get out of those games, all of them already quite a lot faster than real life (maybe with the exception of Assetto Corsa, if you don't set the track-surface to ideal).

So, I don't know how much harder and slower pCARS2 is compared to 1, but I'm pretty sure that pCARS2 would lose this "real life" comparison with the other sims for lap times and can - at best - be on par in terms of reproducing the handling characteristics of the real cars.

But it doesn't matter. Especially the lap time comparison is worth almost nothing. You get the general performance data right (and don't fudge the figures to make stuff work!) and then make it feel good and "real enough", voilà, you made a sim that people will like. If the fastest guys on the planet can get 10% faster lap times than is possible in real life or if the average iRacing driver is 10 seconds slower per lap, won't matter if it feels good and right.
There're so many mantras in the sim racing world is not even fun.

Real life lap times vs. sim lap times. Different conditions, different number of tries, different fear factor, different physical workout. Comparing these as the holy grail to measure the precision of a sim is really shortsighted. I remember watching a doc of some iRacing alien being invited to race on a real track and he was three seconds off the pace. He couldn't stand long runs because physical strain and nerves getting on him (because fear/pressure). Of course, being three seconds off the pace in real life is one hell of a mark for an amateur. I would probably crash and burn xD

I can't think of a sim that doesn't have a number of pro drivers using it. Even PC1! It's just logical. All of them have driver consultants, many super well known figures, champions of their respective motorsports. It doesn't surprise my iRacing is the most used by pros at home. It's the best for serious online racing without any commitment other than being there to play. All other sims require joining a Community to get the max out of them.

Now, implying that handling can't be improved upon because we are at the pinnacle of what can be done, is something I could never agree with. All the sims we play today and will play tomorrow, will be improved and will be more realistic as tech improves and devs learn new things. Maybe you were not implying that, maybe you were implying that it's SMS who can't. In that case, I will say that PC2 has many technological breakthroughs and technological breakthroughs is what advances things. I can't judge how true to real life the results are, because I'm not a pro driver, but, in case you were implying this, I would recommend revising your biases because you probably have more to lose than to win thinking like that..

The last paragraph is something I can totally agree with.

Disclaimer, I'm not saying PC2 is any more realistic than AC, iRacing, R3R or any other sim. I'm not saying otherwise, either. How could I know?

Now, implying that handling can't be improved upon because we are at the pinnacle of what can be done, is something I could never agree with. All the sims we play today and will play tomorrow, will be improved and will be more realistic as tech improves and devs learn new things. Maybe you were not implying that, maybe you were implying that it's SMS who can't. In that case, I will say that PC2 has many technological breakthroughs and technological breakthroughs is what advances things. I can't judge how true to real life the results are, because I'm not a pro driver, but, in case you were implying this, I would recommend revising your biases because you probably have more to lose than to win thinking like that.

No, of course pCARS2 will be a big improvement over pCARS1. You said that the AC fanboys should not look at how close pCARS2 has gotten to Assetto Corsa and rather look how close those games are to real life and by all metrics I'm aware of(including telemetry), Assetto Corsa is far closer to real life than pCARS1 which is what most of those fanboys are judging pCARS2 footage by - at least until the game is out. Some are just stupid close-minded, still saying stuff like i(ce)Racing to other titles, but the truth is that all of those titles are converging in their tries to get closer to reality. Assetto Corsa has become a lot harder from tire model 3 to 7, iRacing on the other side has gone away from that razor-edge limit of grip and become easier you might say.
They're all on a journey to replicating reality and know the general direction.

If pCARS2 has become closer to Assetto Corsa, it means that it's also closer to reality. Could be that it's already even closer to reality than Assetto Corsa, I don't know, but the general direction on the catching-up path from pCARS1 would be the right one, so comparing the two is not bad per se, just thinking that Assetto Corsa has already reached its end-goal and everything different from it must be more unrealistic is what is bullshit.

Now, that being said... GamerMuscle and Jimmy Broadbent (while entertaining) are kinda AC fanboys, I appreciate EmptyBox's opinion much more as youtubers go.

And one last point to show from where I'm coming to pCARS2: Even if in my mind it'll end up being less realistic than those other sims, it can still end up being more fun to drive then all of them if it feels great and does stuff the other's don't(which it clearly does with the stunning time of day, dynamic weather and puddle build-up).

I don't know this YouTuber beyond this video, but he seems to have a preference to AC and rF2 and still ends up fairly impressed with how close he is able to get the feel to match AC. And he only went through the race engineer a quick couple times to get there. So seems like it could be fairly simple for anyone to get the game to feel more to their liking wherever their preferences may lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrGYniUeRQk

fresquito

No, of course pCARS2 will be a big improvement over pCARS1. You said that the AC fanboys should not look at how close pCARS2 has gotten to Assetto Corsa and rather look how close those games are to real life and by all metrics I'm aware of(including telemetry), Assetto Corsa is far closer to real life than pCARS1 which is what most of those fanboys are judging pCARS2 footage by - at least until the game is out. Some are just stupid close-minded, still saying stuff like i(ce)Racing to other titles, but the truth is that all of those titles are converging in their tries to get closer to reality. Assetto Corsa has become a lot harder from tire model 3 to 7, iRacing on the other side has gone away from that razor-edge limit of grip and become easier you might say.
They're all on a journey to replicating reality and know the general direction.

If pCARS2 has become closer to Assetto Corsa, it means that it's also closer to reality. Could be that it's already even closer to reality than Assetto Corsa, I don't know, but the general direction on the catching-up path from pCARS1 would be the right one, so comparing the two is not bad per se, just thinking that Assetto Corsa has already reached its end-goal and everything different from it must be more unrealistic is what is bullshit.

Now, that being said... GamerMuscle and Jimmy Broadbent (while entertaining) are kinda AC fanboys, I appreciate EmptyBox's opinion much more as youtubers go.

And one last point to show from where I'm coming to pCARS2: Even if in my mind it'll end up being less realistic than those other sims, it can still end up being more fun to drive then all of them if it feels great and does stuff the other's don't(which it clearly does with the stunning time of day, dynamic weather and puddle build-up).
I see things different. You are talking about a line where AC stands between PC1 and reality, but I think things are far more complicated than that. There're a few things Project CARS does better on a simulation level, from Hzs frequency (double), to most everything track related, to conditions. All these things are part of reality and all these things affect racing in a deep way. So, reality can't be extracted and abstracted to the point where tyre simulation can mimic real life by itself. It will only mimic real life when all the sorrounding conditions are also there.

So, my opinion is that many things where done better by AC on a sim level, but PC2 doesn't need to be close to AC to be more realistic. It just needs to improve in areas that were lacking in the first game.

On a different note, I've started uploading my own gameplay vids. If you are interested in any certain combo/setting, just ask for it.

Project CARS 2 [WiP] - BMW M1 Procar @ Willow Springs

TJP

Sim racing and subjective opinion go hand in hand..anyone here drive a F1 car (any era), 917, DTM or Formula Ford? How about a 488, MX5 or Lotus Elise on a track? I bet we have opinions on how they drive within each sim!

Rely on the dev team to get as close to their goals and enjoy the sim for what it is. No need to argue; wait for pcars 2 to release and see if it girds your loins.

I appreciate EmptyBox's opinion much more as youtubers go.
Empty has his own biases too however he records videos of sims that interest him. No money or freebees on his channel regarding video content.

I wonder how this will play on the current gen consoles. I have to turn off all the visual effects to get a decent framerate on the Xbox which thankfully is a thing they let you do. Not planning on upgrading any time soon.

Then the true dilemma appears: Do I just get it anyway and get a wheel or wait?

danowat

Banned
Sim racing and subjective opinion go hand in hand..anyone here drive a F1 car (any era), 917, DTM or Formula Ford? How about a 488, MX5 or Lotus Elise on a track? I bet we have opinions on how they drive within each sim!.

I've driven lots of cars and bikes on track, and even with a wheel I'd be hard pushed to say a simulation is objectively 100% accurate.

Sure, you can get the mechanicals 100%, but there is always a large portion of forces and feelings you can't simulate.

You only have to look at all the physics talk from PC1, the was a huge PDF document where they spent hours refining the physics, to see that even when they think it's right, it possibly isn't because there is a lot they have changed for this release.

It's all subjective, heck even people driving the exact same car in real life will have different experiences, I've driven many cars of the same model that are supposed exactly the same, and they feel different, I've driven cars with new tyres that have been replaced with the same tyre model that feel different.

That said, I did feel that the tyre model was too punishing at the limit of grip in PC1, and am glad that PC2 will have a more progressive slip curve, in real life a monkey can drift a lot of cars, it's not particularly difficult to hold a tyre on the edge.

patientx

Is there any information about compatible racing wheels ? Is my trusty old Logitech Driving Force GT compatible with the game ?

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
What you guys would suggest for a wheel between Thrustmaster T300 GT and Logitech G29?

Mainly use on PC. They are both the same price in Canada.

What you guys would suggest for a wheel between Thrustmaster T300 GT and Logitech G29?

T300. It is a no-brainer question. I don't think you'll find anyone with a different opinion (though I never tried the G29, just G27, but the internals are said to be the same).

Megasoum

Banned
Used the EB Games Canada promotion to trade a couple of Dual Shock 3 and 4 to get 120$ in Steam Credit....

pCARS 2 Deluxe edition pre-ordered!

Mascot

He always manages to say a lot of words without actually saying very much at all. I remembered the bit about his affiliate links to a couple of steering wheels though.

As a cockpit racer I think my biggest problem with pCARS 2 is going to be those Chinese sweatshop driving gloves, two pairs for a fiver. They look absolutely fucking awful and rather spoil the splendid authenticity of the car interiors.

Fres, can you please ask WMD2 why no approaches were made to Sparco, Alpinestars, Adidas, OMP, or Puma..? The ones that SMS have come up with look like the bastard children of a drunken shag between an oven glove and a welding mitt.

Ammogeddon

I just got the T300 and it's literally a game changer for me. Very pleased indeed. I had looked into the G29 which is quite a bit cheaper than the T300 in the uk but having done some research the T300 came out on top for me.

I have the GT edition which comes with the T3PA pedals. They have a clutch pedal so if you're looking to get a shifter in future you're covered. Double check the GT edition compatibility with the PC, it may only be for PlayStation.

fresquito

Fres, can you please ask WMD2 why no approaches were made to Sparco, Alpinestars, Adidas, OMP, or Puma..? The ones that SMS have come up with look like the bastard children of a drunken shag between an oven glove and a welding mitt.
I don't think I will be getting a reply at this stage.

Besides, I don't really have a problem with the gloves, either. I think they look very realistic and vary depending on what car you use. I couldn't care less about their design or whether they are real brands, to be honest...

Juicy Bob

It's the helmet designs that have always confused me.

Like I would've expected that having an option to select your own helmet design - even if from a selection of presets - would've been one of the first things to be included.

Not that it actually matters, of course, but it's just a little surprising to me

bombshell

Eurogamer impressions article: Project Cars 2 sets new standards for the racing genre

The title is referring to the weather simulation.

Reading changing track conditions, as well as adapting and exploiting them, is a fundamental part of what motorsport's about, and Project Cars 2 isn't just leading the way here - it's in a class all of its own.

Also comments on career and controller improvements.

Plenty of which will be familiar from the first game, perhaps the broadest and most generous pure motorsport game since the TOCA series' heyday. Yet I - and I think a fair few others - bounced off the original Project Cars fairly quickly, even though motorsport's the religion I dedicate myself to most Sunday afternoons. It was something about the sprawl of the career which had a tendency to feel listless and unfocused, and more importantly something about the feel of the cars.

The former's been addressed well enough in Project Cars 2, with more defined goals and a broader range of disciplines. The latter's also been improved, and quite dramatically so too; this is now perfectly playable on a pad, and isn't quite the unwieldy and erratic beast that its predecessor tended towards.

Mascot

I don't think I will be getting a reply at this stage.

Besides, I don't really have a problem with the gloves, either. I think they look very realistic and vary depending on what car you use. I couldn't care less about their design or whether they are real brands, to be honest...

It's not critical in the grand scheme of things but I just think it's a shame that they've overlooked this detail while striving for authenticity in a lot of other areas, especially for something that's always front and centre for anyone racing in cockpit view with visible arms. There was a neon blue pair doing the rounds a while ago that looked utterly ridiculous, but maybe they've all been improved since then.

The fake branding and phony advertising hoardings in pCARS irked me in a similar way, so maybe I'm just a fussy bastard.

Water

The first game runs fine in VR. Atoms in a thunderstorm is fucking epic.

It doesn't run fine, you need a 1080 Ti card for a solid 90FPS. Looking at the benchmarks, anything less gives you just 45FPS+reprojection no matter how drastically you drop graphics quality. It's playable, but obviously not designed for VR and I didn't want to play it for very long even though I had access to a wheel setup. Very important to know if they have substantially improved the VR performance and if 90FPS lock is achievable on more mundane cards like a 1070.

Top Bottom