• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Hiroshima is very walkable. I usually walk from the main station to the peace plaza and the okonomiyaki mall. It's a leasurly stroll.

Btw DO try Hiroshima style okonomiyaki. It's the superior way.

Agree. It is the superior way and you need to try it. I never went to the okonomiyaki mall though.

And yeah, depending on what you're doing in Hiroshima walking is fine. If you want to go different places in the city, pretty much all busses, trams, ect are not JR. They have their own PASPY card, which is what I had while I was there.

And yeah, depending on what you're doing in Hiroshima walking is fine. If you want to go different places in the city, pretty much all busses, trams, ect are not JR. They have their own PASPY card, which is what I had while I was there.

I just use one of my ICOCA cards when I'm in Hiroshima since that one also works.

I just use one of my ICOCA cards when I'm in Hiroshima since that one also works.

Looking it up, it seems that was a change made in 2013. When I was staying there in 2012 I pretty much had to get a PASPY. Thats good to know that ICOCA works though.

BTW, if staying in the Tokyo area, is a suica card or pasmo card better, and does it even matter? Reading up, it seems like they're good for about the same things.

Better not get seriously ill while in Japan :p
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...short-amid-influx-foreign-toursits-residents/

While the growing number of foreign tourists and residents in Japan has seen demand for medical services spike among non-Japanese-speaking patients in recent years, the health ministry’s first nationwide survey of the medical support system says it is failing to keep up with the surging need.

The survey, released Tuesday, showed 79.7 percent, or 1,363 hospitals, accepted non-Japanese patients in fiscal 2015. A total of 112 facilities said no foreign patients had visited their facilities, while 231 hospitals did not know if they accepted any.

Of the 1,363 facilities, a total of 900 hospitals, or 65 percent, said the foreign patients they treated had difficulty communicating in Japanese. What’s more, just 218 facilities said they had used medical interpreters, with many hospitals asking patients to find interpreters themselves.

Despite the growing need, a mere 51 hospitals — just 3 percent — had in-house medical coordinators to guide non-Japanese patients through the various processes, the survey found.

Asked whether they were concerned about treating non-Japanese patients, with multiple answers allowed, 84.5 percent of the medical facilities surveyed noted language and communication issues, which they said could lead to inappropriate diagnoses or mistreatment. Of the hospitals surveyed, 63.9 percent also cited an inability to collect medical bills and the potential for lawsuits.

Hiroshima is very walkable. I usually walk from the main station to the peace plaza and the okonomiyaki mall. It's a leasurly stroll.

Btw DO try Hiroshima style okonomiyaki. It's the superior way.
Out of interest outside of the Peace Memorial stuff, is there much to do in Hiroshima? Thinking at this stage to do the Peace Memorial Park area in the morning and then head down to Miyajima Island to see Itsukushima Shrine in the afternoon.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Out of interest outside of the Peace Memorial stuff, is there much to do in Hiroshima? Thinking at this stage to do the Peace Memorial Park area in the morning and then head down to Miyajima Island to see Itsukushima Shrine in the afternoon.

Those are the main two. The shopping area near the park is nice. It has the okonomiyaki mall in the heart of it. I suggest atomu. They're good. If you have a lot more time and the timing is right, a Hiroshima carps game is an awesome experience. If you're big into billiards/pool kamui tips are made by hand there as well. Can get them pretty cheap. These are things my wife and I regularly do there. Also oysters are pretty great there.

How long are you there? If just a day trip, those two places can be an entire day pretty much. I used to go to the shopping district a lot, usually down on Hondori, which is close to the peace park. There's also Hiroshima castle which is really close as well.

I got tickets to a Hiroshima Carp game in September. Its the newest stadium in Japan, so I'm looking forward to seeing a game there.

I went to a game while I was there. The stadium is nice.

I also saw this hilariously named food place.
spmh7T3.jpg

midramble

I got tickets to a Hiroshima Carp game in September. Its the newest stadium in Japan, so I'm looking forward to seeing a game there.

That's awesome. Who are they playing? I got a chance to see them play the Tokyo giants. Food and swag are good. Get some nice hot chestnuts as well. Delicious. I'd try to go to a game when I'm there in September but I'll only be swinging by for a few hours this time on my way back to Tokyo from Heigun island.

That's awesome. Who are they playing? I got a chance to see them play the Tokyo giants. Food and swag are good. Get some nice hot chestnuts as well. Delicious. I'd try to go to a game when I'm there in September but I'll only be swinging by for a few hours this time on my way back to Tokyo from Heigun island.

Tigers. And I had to go through a service to get tickets on the secondary market. Even though I originally tried looking for tickets back in spring training, September tickets basically sold out right away. The guy I ordered through said that teams typically do "retirement games" in September after the standings have been mostly locked down, so all those tickets got snatched up right away by resellers.

I'll be going to a Fighters game up in Sapporo the following week. So hopefully I'll get to see Otani play there.

Those are the main two. The shopping area near the park is nice. It has the okonomiyaki mall in the heart of it. I suggest atomu. They're good. If you have a lot more time and the timing is right, a Hiroshima carps game is an awesome experience. If you're big into billiards/pool kamui tips are made by hand there as well. Can get them pretty cheap. These are things my wife and I regularly do there. Also oysters are pretty great there.
Well this is the rough plan I've come up with for Hiroshima

I'm prob rushing it to get all of that done in the morning though :/

Go to Kofu.

I went there yesterday. It was a little hard to get to, but worth it. The Takeda clan was my reason for studying Japan, so it was a dream come true visiting the shrine there. It's a very sleepy college town, but very cute and with a decent amount of bustle.

The statue of Takeda Shingen was awesome. Plus it's neat hearing all the people acknowledge him as they walk by.

midramble

Well this is the rough plan I've come up with for Hiroshima

I'm prob rushing it to get all of that done in the morning though :/

That should be fine. Dome, park stuff and okonomiyaki are all 5 minute walk from each other. Hell my wife and I are stopping for lunch there on the say back to Tokyo from yanai and that's basically what we're going to do for 2 hours.

That should be fine. Dome, park stuff and okonomiyaki are all 5 minute walk from each other. Hell my wife and I are stopping for lunch there on the say back to Tokyo from yanai and that's basically what we're going to do for 2 hours.
Yeah the more I look into Hiroshima the more easier it seems to hit everything before 2 and its all in walking distance. Should be able to hit the castle up easily too.
8 more weeks ^_^

Jesse-

Quick question about sumo: I'm visiting Tokyo to early for the grand tournament in september, but I can get tickets for the Tour in august.
Had anyone ever visited the Tour and is it worth the price, ca. $150 pp? Can't seem to find much about it, so any tips are greatly apreciated!

Edit:The Tour I'm talking about is the one from sumo.or.jp

Kyoto almost killed me today. I've never been so hot in my life.

There were so!e awesome fire works in Osaka right now. What's going on?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I'm having trouble with getting started planning our two week trip next year. We are doing Disney, so we will definitely be in Tokyo. Kyoto seems like another popular destination. I'd like to see the Ghibli museum, experience a lot of the "tourist" shopping centers (Shinkuku and Akihabara to name two specific ones), and have a chance to experience some of the beauty that Japan offers. I don't know if we are super interested in going to shrines as I'm not particularly drawn to that.

Can anyone give me some...Help? I'm overwhelmed since Japan is just so massive.

Also, is it worth staying in hotels or should look at AirBnB type stuff?

Hey gaf! I having a bit of trouble with the osaka rail passes as im not fully sure as to what passes work with what and the like

The places i want to go are osaka and kyoto

As its just a short trip 4 days 3 nights
I would like to know whats the best bang for my buck in terms of rail passes

Im looking at the hankyu rail pass as well as the osaka amazing pass but for the hankyu one im not sure if it works for all osaka and kyoto subways :/

As its honestly kind of confusing

Any help or advice is appreciated

Hey gaf! I having a bit of trouble with the osaka rail passes as im not fully sure as to what passes work with what and the like

The places i want to go are osaka and kyoto

As its just a short trip 4 days 3 nights
I would like to know whats the best bang for my buck in terms of rail passes

Get a 1 or 2 day Osaka Amazing Pass, and get an ICOCA travel card to use for the rest of the time. Any other pass will be a waste of money since you're only going to Osaka and Kyoto (and Kobe?).

In Kyoto use 1 day bus passes since they only cost 500 JPY though. Use an ICOCA card for the JR rapid or local trains between Shin-Osaka and Kyoto (or Kobe), don't use the shinkansen since it's a waste of money when travelling for such short a distance.

Make sure to do as much as possible in Osaka when having that Osaka Amazing Pass for 1 or 2 days. If you're only doing Osaka Castle and the Santa Maria of the free stuff with the pass, then just get a 1 day pass and do both in the same day.

If you're going up to the Expo park, just use the ICOCA card.

Get a 1 or 2 day Osaka Amazing Pass, and get an ICOCA travel card to use for the rest of the time. Any other pass will be a waste of money since you're only going to Osaka and Kyoto (and Kobe?).

In Kyoto use 1 day bus passes since they only cost 500 JPY though. Use an ICOCA card for the JR rapid or local trains between Shin-Osaka and Kyoto (or Kobe), don't use the shinkansen since it's a waste of money when travelling for such short a distance.

Make sure to do as much as possible in Osaka when having that Osaka Amazing Pass for 1 or 2 days. If you're only doing Osaka Castle and the Santa Maria of the free stuff with the pass, then just get a 1 day pass and do both in the same day.

If you're going up to the Expo park, just use the ICOCA card.

Thank you very much is the amazing osaka oass usable on regular subways?

Thank you very much is the amazing osaka oass usable on regular subways?

Yes, but not as far as Expo park (and you'll need to switch to the Osaka monorail anyway to get there)

There's a map of the free subway transportation (the 1 day pass also gives you limited access to some railways as well) area here:
https://www.osaka-info.jp/osp/en/about/about_train.html

All the thick lines are subways. If you get the 2 day pass you'll need to ride subways at least 5 times (or do more of the free stuff for it to pay off)

There were so!e awesome fire works in Osaka right now. What's going on?

Naniwa Yodogawa Fireworks Display I guess

I don't know if we are super interested in going to shrines as I'm not particularly drawn to that.

But that's like 50% of the reason to go to Kyoto ;p

Well, the upsides to hotels are housekeeping, room service and depending on how expensive you go, concierge services and possibly spas and such. If you can live without that, then AirBnB is good and much much cheaper.

Yes, but not as far as Expo park (and you'll need to switch to the Osaka monorail anyway to get there)

There's a map of the free subway transportation (the 1 day pass also gives you limited access to some railways as well) area here:
https://www.osaka-info.jp/osp/en/about/about_train.html

All the thick lines are subways. If you get the 2 day pass you'll need to ride subways at least 5 times (or do more of the free stuff for it to pay off)
Hmm i see okay ill probably go with icoca card and the osaka pass tyvm :)

cj_iwakura

So I'm having trouble with getting started planning our two week trip next year. We are doing Disney, so we will definitely be in Tokyo. Kyoto seems like another popular destination. I'd like to see the Ghibli museum, experience a lot of the "tourist" shopping centers (Shinkuku and Akihabara to name two specific ones), and have a chance to experience some of the beauty that Japan offers. I don't know if we are super interested in going to shrines as I'm not particularly drawn to that.

Can anyone give me some...Help? I'm overwhelmed since Japan is just so massive.

I stayed in a tiny inn in Shinagawa that was dirt cheap, had everything I needed. Was included with the flight(Travelocity). I'd vastly prefer that to risking AirBnB.

AxeMan

I'm looking for some advice around a potential Japan visit in the next 18-24 months.

I'd like to stay for 3 or so months but having trouble working out the accommodation situation. I'd like to have just 1 place that's completely private (own bathroom, kitchen etc).
Enough room for 4 people as well.

How would I go about researching places like this?
Also what would an indicative budget look like? Could I get by on about $1000-$1500 aud a week all expenses?

How would I go about researching places like this?
Also what would an indicative budget look like? Could I get by on about $1000-$1500 aud a week all expenses?

Japan-experience got a few apartments and houses for rent:
https://www.japan-experience.com/rent-a-house-in-tokyo

There's also companies like Sakura and Oak House renting out short term apartments to foreigners:
https://www.sakura-house.com/en/mobile
https://www.oakhouse.jp/eng/apartment

There's lots of these companies. Just do a search for furnished Tokyo apartments or such. There's some that's on hotel booking sites too.

And there's always AirBnB as well.

Dingens

[...]

depends... are you travelling alone? with your spouse/gf/bf? or with your family?
Are you adventurous? or do you prefer "peace of mind"?
Would you be willing to pay a little extra for some interesting experiences?

("you" refers to you and everyone else who's travelling with you)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Naniwa Yodogawa Fireworks Display I guess

But that's like 50% of the reason to go to Kyoto ;p

Well, the upsides to hotels are housekeeping, room service and depending on how expensive you go, concierge services and possibly spas and such. If you can live without that, then AirBnB is good and much much cheaper.

So I should rephrase my statement!

We are interested in seeing the shrines as locations, but I have a friend who has gone to Japan a number of times and participates in ceremonies and such. That's not something we are interested in, but seeing the beauty and history of the shrines are a plus!

I stayed in a tiny inn in Shinagawa that was dirt cheap, had everything I needed. Was included with the flight(Travelocity). I'd vastly prefer that to risking AirBnB.

How is AirBnB in Japan? We have used it in other locations and have had great success.

depends... are you travelling alone? with your spouse/gf/bf? or with your family?
Are you adventurous? or do you prefer "peace of mind"?
Would you be willing to pay a little extra for some interesting experiences?

("you" refers to you and everyone else who's travelling with you)

It's my wife and I. We've been looking at a few locations near the Kyoto Imperial Palace. It seems like a central location where we'd be able to get around and see a bunch of stuff?

Mendrox

We are interested in seeing the shrines as locations, but I have a friend who has gone to Japan a number of times and participates in ceremonies and such. That's not something we are interested in, but seeing the beauty and history of the shrines are a plus!

How is AirBnB in Japan? We have used it in other locations and have had great success.

It's my wife and I. We've been looking at a few locations near the Kyoto Imperial Palace. It seems like a central location where we'd be able to get around and see a bunch of stuff?

AirBnB has been amazing in Japan in my experience. Most of them quiet cheap, but very good.

Zoe

We used an Airbnb right next to Akihabara--it was pretty nice. The futon weren't too comfortable though.

Aha. Yeah, then Kyoto should be a nice place to visit. Do day trips to Osaka and Hiroshima as well if you're planning on getting an JR Pass.

AirBnB in Japan is pretty good. As always, check reviews though.

I'd say either try get something near Kyoto Station or somewhere near the cross between Kawaramachi and Shijō (where Kawaramachi Station is). Then you got great access to buses and trains.

Dingens

I'd say that if you're going purely with AirBnB you're missing out on a lot of what Japan has to offer.
For one there are thousands of small Ryokan, traditional japanese guest houses, most even come with some hot springs attached. For couples there are more luxurious ones with private spas (the general ones are separated by gender). If those are too expensive there are small family pensions on the country side which may not offer a real Onsen, but many have a private small outdoor pool attached to every housing unit. And if you get lucky, you may even able to stay at a shrine or a temple - japanese skills may be required for this option (I think).
For more urban areas there a dozens of exciting hotels. Waking up on the 65th floor around 270 meters above ground is an incredible experience. And for the more adventurous traveller I'd recommend a Love hotel or two. They are incredibly cheap (can be even cheaper than airbnb), usually in good locations and depending on the area well maintained (and the themed rooms are quite something...)

I've probably spent more money on Japanese accommodations than food for all years I lived there combined - and haven't regretted it a single second. I'd never go airbnb, there's just too much to discover

if you're going to Kyoto and Osaka, staying in Nara would be a nice (and cheap) alternative btw.

I'd say that if you're going purely with AirBnB you're missing out on a lot of what Japan has to offer.
For one there are thousands of small Ryokan, traditional japanese guest houses, most even come with some hot springs attached. For couples there are more luxurious ones with private spas (the general ones are separated by gender). If those are too expensive there are small family pensions on the country side which may not offer a real Onsen, but many have a private small outdoor pool attached to every housing unit. And if you get lucky, you may even able to stay at a shrine or a temple - japanese skills may be required for this option (I think).
For more urban areas there a dozens of exciting hotels. Waking up on the 65th floor around 270 meters above ground is an incredible experience. And for the more adventurous traveller I'd recommend a Love hotel or two. They are incredibly cheap (can be even cheaper than airbnb), usually in good locations and depending on the area well maintained (and the themed rooms are quite something...)

I've probably spent more money on Japanese accommodations than food for all years I lived there combined - and haven't regretted it a single second. I'd never go airbnb, there's just too much to discover

if you're going to Kyoto and Osaka, staying in Nara would be a nice (and cheap) alternative btw.
I'm super tempted to stay at a Ryokan while in Nagoya, instead of travelling back to Nagoya after my first day in Kyoto thinking about staying in one but I honestly have no idea what I'm looking for or what is a good price for one thats for one person.

AxeMan

Japan-experience got a few apartments and houses for rent:
https://www.japan-experience.com/rent-a-house-in-tokyo

There's also companies like Sakura and Oak House renting out short term apartments to foreigners:
https://www.sakura-house.com/en/mobile
https://www.oakhouse.jp/eng/apartment

There's lots of these companies. Just do a search for furnished Tokyo apartments or such. There's some that's on hotel booking sites too.

And there's always AirBnB as well.

Thanks muchly

I got by on $200 US. So I assume so. :p
(I'm often told I'm crazy for having pulled that off.)

That's very low. Not sure I can do that with 4 people

cj_iwakura

So I need to ask, how the hell did you do that O_O

Subsisting on $4-5 Katsudon and croissants for breakfast, lol. I know how to be frugal. I had an extra ~$100 of wiggle room or so, which I wound up eating into for train fares and to buy an Emiya Kiritsugu figure(and I don't regret it one bit).

sfedai0

Banned
I got by on $200 US. So I assume so. :p
(I'm often told I'm crazy for having pulled that off.)

Props to you but I dont understand the point of a vacation if youre going to live like youre destitute. Save the money needed, then go. I cant fathom eating kombini and fast food when there is so much to Japanese food culture to experience.

cj_iwakura

Props to you but I dont understand the point of a vacation if youre going to live like youre destitute. Save the money needed, then go. I cant fathom eating kombini and fast food when there is so much to Japanese food culture to experience.

I've wanted to go my whole life, I had to save up for a year just for the flight. It was then or never. I don't regret it.

Subsisting on $4-5 Katsudon and croissants for breakfast, lol. I know how to be frugal. I had an extra ~$100 of wiggle room or so, which I wound up eating into for train fares and to buy an Emiya Kiritsugu figure(and I don't regret it one bit).
I gotta admit I'd love to try something like that one day, just a trip with the goal to spend hardly anything and enjoy what I can for free.

Top Bottom