• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 min required resolution

Ubername

Banned
So long story short I have a 1080i Bravia that I like (it's old) but the HDMI port is busted so basically I have to go thru component video to get 1080i, which is fine, except I plan on getting a PS4 Pro which has no component out.

I'm getting a DAC of this sort (https://www.radioshack.com/products/...yABEgK8DPD_BwE) but I'm wondering if the PS4/Pro will even work with this? The max res of the TV other than its advertised "1080i" functionality is 1366*786. Now my TV runs the old HD consoles (360/PS3) in with component video at 1080i fine, but I'm worried that I will not be able to use my fav TV set with the newer console. Any help with this would be appreciated.

GlitchF5

Neo Member
You will be able to output 1080i on a normal PS4. I cannot confirm the Pro.

It won't look so hot, FYI,

GlitchF5

Neo Member
Thanks

really, it looks like shit?

A lot of people prefer 720p over 1080i, but it's completely debatable. Some people claim interlacing issues with 1080i are not worth using it, and prefer 720p.

I have no opinion on the matter.

Ubername

Banned
A lot of people prefer 720p over 1080i, but it's completely debatable. Some people claim interlacing issues with 1080i are not worth using it, and prefer 720p.

I have no opinion on the matter.

I mean, I never noticed interlacing issues on anything else. Is it the same or close difference as going from 1080i -> 480i on 360/PS3? Because that really did look not so good

I mean, I never noticed interlacing issues on anything else. Is it the same or close difference as going from 1080i -> 480i on 360/PS3? Because that really did look not so good

It's not quite the same. The latter is a full resolution drop and sucked a lot of ass. I had a rear projection HDTV that only did 1080i and 480p and it was not fun.

OTOH, if I have to pick from 720p and 1080i I almost always go with 720p because it's less work for a TV scaler to scale 720p than to deinterlace 1080i, which ends up being kind of functionally/electrically equivalent to 540p on some sets. You also have a lower chance of a deinterlacing artifact if the deinterlacer in the TV isn't so good.

Hmm isn't it a bit of waste to buy Pro and then have it output at 1080i? especially when you have to get additional equipement for it to work.

Bickle2

Whether 1080i looks really any different from 1080p depends on whether you bought a decent TV.

If it says “Visio” “Hisense” or is one of the rebadges if same (Sharp, Westinghouse, endless brands you’ve never heard of) you might have some problems. Even all hu thr high end Sony now. Computer monitors have poor deinterlacers as well.

You’ll need component either way, so try both and see how well you do

If you are not dealing with a rear projection television or one of the very few CRTs built, use 720, as thst TV will accept a 1080i signal, but the native res is 720. All LCD are inherently progressive.

And when you replace it, spend some money on something good

Top Bottom