• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Extraction coming to PSN/XBLA

This thread, funny enough, kinda made me realize something about Natal/Wave that I had never thought of. I really want to hold something when I play games

/self-realization

pr0cs

Stumpokapow said:
*shrugs* I didn't know so many people here were excited for motion gaming and didn't actually own Wiis.
I'm in this boat. No interest in the large majority of the Wii library with a few exceptions, Dead Space Extraction being one of them.

Haunted

Stumpokapow said:
*shrugs* I didn't know so many people here were excited for motion gaming and didn't actually own Wiis.
You obviously haven't paid much attention to GAF after Move and Natal were announced.

gcubed

to everyone saying natal, how would this work? I admittedly don't know enough about it, but see no way to make this fun

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
gcubed said:
to everyone saying natal, how would this work? I admittedly don't know enough about it, but see no way to make this fun

It would scan a peripheral like the Tony Hawk skateboard. I'm sure it could work somehow.

farnham

Banned
gcubed said:
hate this kevin butler guy (not the actor. he is awesome) but to answer the question

20hx7pv.gif

farnham

Banned
Glass Soldier said:
But that's the good kind of railshooter.
to be fair dead space extraction is quite good

i think it wasnt the best rail shooter last year bein far behind overkill and slightly behind darkside chronicles. but still it is enjoyable to say the least

birdchili

the actual gameplay, during the parts where you're actually playing it, is snappy and fun.

the story, characters, and game structure in general...

overall my least favorite of: HotD Returns, HotD Overkill and RE:UC.

farnham said:
to be fair dead space extraction is quite good

i think it wasnt the best rail shooter last year bein far behind overkill and slightly behind darkside chronicles. but still it is enjoyable to say the least

From what I've played
up until some guys find and kill you
it seemed pretty nice. Should I play it with screen shaking completely turned down?

Man

Everyone needs to give this game a shot at $15

It's good! And there's one part that makes the Heavy Rain finger thing look really, really hilarious in comparison.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I already posted in this thread that the Wii version runs just fine on PC. I don't know how well it plays with a mouse (there are some gestures like twisting the Wii remote which might require you to pick up a Wii remote to play it), but the game itself runs fine.

Sadist

ShockingAlberto said:
It's good! And there's one part that makes the Heavy Rain finger thing look really, really hilarious in comparison.
Which part would that be?

I only played a part of Heavy Rain and completed Extraction so...

farnham

Banned
Glass Soldier said:
From what I've played
up until some guys find and kill you
it seemed pretty nice. Should I play it with screen shaking completely turned down?
depends. i always heard how RE UC or DC is unplayable because of screen shaking. but i liked it because it made the game feel more hectic and scary. so i never turn it down.

but i can understand that it might be frustrating

I enjoyed Dead Space, so I'll definitely get this on the PSN. If it supports Move, then that's another plus in getting Extraction.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Shiggy said:
An employee of EA Montreal. I don't want to post his CV in this thread, if you want to I can send it to a mod who will confirm it.
To be clear, the only thing 'confirmed' is that the port exists, right, not any details or anything?

birdchili said:
rarely has a game that could be so fun to replay, so actively conspired to make replays so painful.

I'm not sure, I didn't replay it. I thought it was a fun experience, but it lasted me around 5 or 6 hours. I'm usually not one to scream that for a game to be worth a price has to have this much amount of replay value or game time, but at the end of the day, despite the game being pleasant, I felt like I didn't get enough bang for my buck.

At the end of the game I was like "wtf, is this it, it's over??!"

Vinci

Danish
Haunted said:
You obviously haven't paid much attention to GAF after Move and Natal were announced.

One of the most dramatic social turnarounds I've ever witnessed on a forum. It was fascinating, bizarre, and frightening.

Vinci said:
One of the most dramatic social turnarounds I've ever witnessed on a forum. It was fascinating, bizarre, and frightening.

Personally I always saw it as an anti-Wii/Nintendo thing rather than an anti-motion control thing.

birdchili

Sohter.Nura said:
At the end of the game I was like "wtf, is this it, it's over??!"
the ending is sooo bad:) i was not *at all* into the story and world either (i didn't play Dead Space), though i know that's far from the common sentiment.

it's hard to be too grumpy with the rail shooter renaissance though... and they're such fantastic couchside co-op quickies.

It's certainly a fair price if there is something to save the controls of the ports. Don't play this game with analog sticks. Don't even think it.

farnham said:
depends. i always heard how RE UC or DC is unplayable because of screen shaking. but i liked it because it made the game feel more hectic and scary. so i never turn it down.

but i can understand that it might be frustrating

Hmm ok. I'm just glad that I have the option. It doesn't bother me when the game emulates a light gun (like in HOTD:Overkill) but if you have to "drag" your cursor across the screen it gets a bit irritating.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Mithos said:
I dunno but....

Dead Space Extraction Spoiler.
When Neil, Gabe, and Lexine escapes from Ishimura, their destination is "the Sprawl", and Dead Space 2 is played on "the Sprawl". Somehow I guess Extraction will effect Dead Space 2.

Ugh, I really hope
Lexine got eaten. Her character was so damn annoying and helpless. Would like to see McNeill and Weller again though (assuming they survived) - particularly McNeill (that bit with the arm was disgustingly badass! :eek:)

I'm glad to get to play this game on the systems it should have come out on originally.

For $15 this game is a steal. Glad more people will get to play it and give it a shot.

That part near the end with Natal would be kinda brutal. :lol

Sadist

EmCeeGramr said:
For $15 this game is a steal. Glad more people will get to play it and give it a shot.

That part near the end with Natal would be kinda brutal. :lol
I'm seeing images in my head :lol

Thanks for that top notch Wii exclusive EA. :p

Now HD owners get to figure out why this didn't do gangbusters at full retail price. It's an interesting diversion, but the original Dead Space craps on it in every way conceivable. Hopefully they fix the lighting and contrast for the port. It was a pain in the ass to see what was going on in some of the levels on the Wii version.

Stumpokapow said:
I'm a little weirded out by everyone getting excited for Move/Natal support but seemingly without a way to play this game already.

You can get a Wii and this game for $175. That's not significantly more expensive than getting Move/Natal and this game, and if you like rail shooters (and thus are interested in this game), there are plenty of Wii options to justify the hardware purchase, let alone the non-rail shooter games that are fun to play on Wii.

If you're really an audio-visual buff, you've probably got a gaming PC, right? This game runs fine in Dolphin at 720p/1080p, so just pick up a Wiimote / wireless sensor bar and go to town.

I already own a Wii, but I only get first party games for it (yes, I'm part of the problem). I haven't actually tried the dolphin, might look into it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Those screens look pretty good, they seem to capture the same atmosphere of the HD games which is enough for me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Son of Godzilla said:
Makes one wonder why more Wii games aren't ported to XBLA/PSN.

file size is one issue, and i'm interested in knowing what they end up doing here. dse is like 3 gigs and even with better audio/video compression i don't see how you'd get it down to the 500-750 meg level that the bigger xbla/psn games sit around.

... another issue is "what games"? japanese developers largely don't do dd, and the wii has virtually no western exclusives that would fit well.

Stumpokapow said:
file size is one issue, and i'm interested in knowing what they end up doing here. dse is like 3 gigs and even with better audio/video compression i don't see how you'd get it down to the 500-750 meg level that the bigger xbla/psn games sit around.

... another issue is "what games"? japanese developers largely don't do dd, and the wii has virtually no western exclusives that would fit well.
I don't think you've played many xbl games lately ....

Son of Godzilla said:
Makes one wonder why more Wii games aren't ported to XBLA/PSN.
Makes me wonder WTF Nintendo was thinking not making the Wii capable or running in HD. Even when Wii games are rendered at higher resolution there's a disparity between it and the HD systems, but it's amazing how far it goes towards closing the gap. For the original $250 asking price I don't think it would've killed Nintendo to soup up the system just that little extra bit, and it certainly would've helped to future proof it better.

MidnightScott said:
Now drop the price of the Wii version to the same and then I'll purchase it :3
If they don't drop the price it'll be a load of horseshit. Of course, that's pretty much par for the course with Wii owners and 3rd party support.

Corto

Buying Move is becoming more and more attractive to me... This if DS Extraction will indeed support Move input.

Top Bottom