• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthbound Creator says something is in the works

Neiteio

OK, I seriously want to know what Itoi's cooking. It's Mother-related... Hopefully not some shitty social game (Pokedex iOS inspires fear!) or simple fan service project (I.E. Mother merchandise). I hope this really is a best-case scenario, given the conditions (not Mother 4): Brand-new localizations of the Mother trilogy, perhaps with extra content, and released WORLDWIDE.

OK, I seriously want to know what Itoi's cooking. It's Mother-related... Hopefully not some shitty social game (Pokedex iOS inspires fear!) or simple fan service project (I.E. Mother merchandise). I hope this really is a best-case scenario, given the conditions (not Mother 4): Brand-new localizations of the Mother trilogy, perhaps with extra content, and released WORLDWIDE.
Let's hope that is what it is.

Brand-new localizations of the Mother trilogy, perhaps with extra content, and released WORLDWIDE.

I'm hoping for a 3D trilogy, but I'd be happy with any Mother localization, whether it be 3D Classics: Mother, Earthbound on VC, Mother 3 on eShop etc. If they do release a cart trilogy I would still buy each individually down the line just because. :p

@MUWANdo

Banned
The Mother games simply wouldn't work as-is with stereoscopic 3D. I don't think a "simple" conversion a la 3D Classics is gonna happen.

The Mother games simply wouldn't work as-is with stereoscopic 3D. I don't think a "simple" conversion a la 3D Classics is gonna happen.
I think they would, tilt the game world slightly so we are looking at it from a different angle so the character sprites can stick up abit and it'll look decent enough.

I dunno something like from this angle
Zelda3d.jpg

(Old pic of what I thought they should do with Zelda when they were doing the 3D Classic Range)

But something like that would look neat, not game changing or anything but just give a scale of depth to the world I guess.

EMT0

Banned
Revival, or resurrection? Because revival sounds like there's going to be a new game, as in, Mother 4, and he said outright he wouldn't make Mother 4.

Whhyyyyyy do you tease us like this? ):

Davey Cakes

The words "Mother revival" are such a tease. Wow. But hell, it's hard not to get excited over a mere tweet, at least when it comes to this series.

TreIII

Again...all I would ask for would be a remake of the first game. It SORELY needs it in comparison to its predecessors.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Full set of recent tweets from Itoi:

"Concerning the MOTHER revival… I haven’t forgotten about it, of course. Don’t worry, it’s making progress. I’ve actually been wanting to play MOTHER too. Running into Belch, taking in the Runaway Five’s shows, getting sick in Moonside, visiting Tenda Village, enjoying the resort life in Summers. And, at the very end… that. I want to spend time doing all that."

...and a reply to a fan request for a new game:

"I’m really sorry, but it’s not going to happen. Maybe someone will make it someday."

leroidys

I don't know if I could handle waiting for 2 smash bros games, console/handheld zelda, and a mother remake at the same time. I would probably explode.

Bladenic

Full set of recent tweets from Itoi:

"Concerning the MOTHER revival… I haven’t forgotten about it, of course. Don’t worry, it’s making progress. I’ve actually been wanting to play MOTHER too. Running into Belch, taking in the Runaway Five’s shows, getting sick in Moonside, visiting Tenda Village, enjoying the resort life in Summers. And, at the very end… that. I want to spend time doing all that."

...and a reply to a fan request for a new game:

"I’m really sorry, but it’s not going to happen. Maybe someone will make it someday."

So it's not a new game? An update/remake of Earthbound? I don't get it. Having just beaten Earthbound and playing through Mother 3 right now, I can tell I'll want more. Luckily I still have Mother 1 to play, and I'm very much hoping Mother 4 does not get shut down.

Neverfade

If this doesn't end up being a release for Earthbound in some fashion then I'll start the White House petition to have the entire NOA legal team hung for treason.

Just redo the goddamn "infringing" music and give us the damn thing. It's better than nothing.

So it's not a new game? An update/remake of Earthbound? I don't get it. Having just beaten Earthbound and playing through Mother 3 right now, I can tell I'll want more. Luckily I still have Mother 1 to play, and I'm very much hoping Mother 4 does not get shut down.
Mother 3 will give you enough emotions to last you the rest of your life.

I don't think Nintendo has a huge track record of shutting down amateur projects that aren't just ripoffs on the app store. I would say Mother 4 might be cutting it close with that name, but of course the series isn't even associated with "Mother" here in the west.

Crossing my fingers for a 3DS compilation cart of all three games with some minor tweaks to the first two (or just the first, balance-wise it really shows its age).

Makonero

Mother 3 will give you enough emotions to last you the rest of your life.

I don't think Nintendo has a huge track record of shutting down amateur projects that aren't just ripoffs on the app store. I would say Mother 4 might be cutting it close with that name, but of course the series isn't even associated with "Mother" here in the west.

Crossing my fingers for a 3DS compilation cart of all three games with some minor tweaks to the first two (or just the first, balance-wise it really shows its age).

They didn't even do anything about the fan translation of Mother 3. I sincerely doubt they have any issues with Mother 4. The chances of Nintendo making a Mother 4 without Itoi in the lead is next to nil (though I'd love for Monolith to give it a shot!).

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
do you realize what this means, GAF?

Duke Nukem Forever is already out and forgotten, all 3 Operation Rainfall games are coming to America. If Mother 1-3 see release in the west there will be practically nothing left to bitch about.

Sounds like a ploy by Nintendo to shut us down. Don't fall for it, GAF, it's a trap!

either that or a brilliant scheme to sink Sony by putting all the pressure on them to fund a FFVII remake with Square :D

Makonero

Duke Nukem Forever is already out and forgotten, all 3 Operation Rainfall games are coming to America. If Mother 1-3 see release in the west there will be practically nothing left to bitch about.

Sounds like a ploy by Nintendo to shut us down. Don't fall for it, GAF, it's a trap!

We always have the "why don't we have a new F-Zero/Star Fox/Wave Race/Startropics game" gambit and there's always the Star Fox 2 debacle. And personally, I want the second Pokemon Trading Card gameboy game.

Frolow

Banned

HalfLife 3, Versus, and TLG beg to differ.

Glass Rebel

either that or a brilliant scheme to sink Sony by putting all the pressure on them to fund a FFVII remake with Square :D

At the end only Half-Life 3 will stand as the huge behemoth of unreleasedness.

From that site that you go to.
Mr. Itoi also received a tweet from a fan that asked for a new game. Here's how Itoi responded...

Shigesato Itoi said:
I’m really sorry, but it’s not going to happen. Maybe someone will make it someday.

We always have the "why don't we have a new F-Zero/Star Fox/Wave Race/Startropics game" gambit and there's always the Star Fox 2 debacle. And personally, I want the second Pokemon Trading Card gameboy game.

And Rogue Squadron! Don't forget about Rogue Squadron!

OH GOD PLEASE! DON'T TUG AT MY HEART STRINGS! PLEASE! I was dying for the portable 1+2 on GBA as well as 3... I was dying for Earthbound on the VC... please... PLEASE... come stateside, I can't take it! I'd love to have it on my 3DS

IrishNinja

My guess is a 3DS ROM dump of the 3 games + extra promotional materials, art, etc.

i still have my launch earthbound copy, with guide, and extras.
as a huge fan of the series for something close to 20 years now, honestly, i welcome any chance i have to throw money at the great franchise & let nintendo and others know just how much i appreciated this gem, and would like to see more like it.

which is to say: i would not pay $100 for a 3-game ROM dump of any other series, except this one. and i'm not nearly alone here.

Mother: The Animation

I'd be okay with this.

OH GOD PLEASE! DON'T TUG AT MY HEART STRINGS! PLEASE! I was dying for the portable 1+2 on GBA as well as 3... I was dying for Earthbound on the VC... please... PLEASE... come stateside, I can't take it! I'd love to have it on my 3DS

Seriously, if this is a Mother 123 collection for 3DS and it ISN'T coming to the west...well fuck that then. I guess I'll just have to buy a Japanese 3DS then...

which is to say: i would not pay $100 for a 3-game ROM dump of any other series, except this one. and i'm not nearly alone here.

I'm with you, bro.
I own my EarthBound cartridge for 6 or 7 years now, from way back when it was still affordable on eBay.
I love the game and series to death. I have never played a similar game (which actually is quite sad) and never loved a game on the same level as I did with Earthbound and Mother 3.

Roklie

This game just has to be localized. I don't even think the game developers can deny the appeal this game has outside Japan, I've never even played it but would definitely pay full price to see what the fuss is all about.

Top Bottom