• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of WTF Did they do to the character design??

Uchip

Banned
The Unreal tournament characters started doing bullshark testosterone in 2003
Chris Redfield from resident evil also apparently got hold of some from Epics stash
Sonic went from a weird mute hedgehog to some kind of terrible 80s "cool" stereotype

Lara Croft somehow stayed mostly consistent until the new reboot where she looks kind of like Justin Beiber
New_Lara_Croft.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The Lara Croft redesign is great. I literally laughed at her proportions in Underworld. She looks like a real person now.

The Unreal tournament characters started doing bullshark testosterone in 2003
Chris Redfield from resident evil also apparently got hold of some from Epics stash
Sonic went from a weird mute hedgehog to some kind of terrible 80s "cool" stereotype

Lara Croft somehow stayed mostly consistent until the new reboot where she looks kind of like Justin Beiber
New_Lara_Croft.jpg

You mean how she now looks like an actual woman instead of a 12 year old boy's wet dream?

Feep

Banned
Yeah, I love Lara Croft's new design. *This* is the kind of design that says "strong" to me, not some hot-pants sex-dream bullshit.

Cole's redesign from inFAMOUS is pretty well known, though I sort of liked it, too.

rdrr gnr

Classic Dante looks like the most forgettable character ever conceived. At least the new Dante has some character -- even if that character is a bit douchey.

mollipen

This thread single-handedly destroyed itself in the very first post. Lara's new character design is utterly awesome, and far better than how she used to look. Was absolutely the best move they could have done for the series.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I expected "My name is Dante" to be in the OP. Have to agree with everyone else that new Lara Croft is pretty good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Still have no idea why people find the new design so offensive...looks like a rather tame progression, but Ive seen Sonic fans argue over the most inane things so I guess im the minority

I agree with you. I honestly prefer the new one and don't see how it's all that different at all.

Anyway : Chris Redfield

Chris's RE5 makeover was the best thing that ever happened to him/the RE series in general.

I've always liked Chris, but let's face it, his pre-RE5 design was about as exciting as dry toast. Now he's a bodybuilding, boulder punching slice o' beefcake.

Best upgrade ever.

Jill on the other hand, now that's a travesty!

Chris's RE5 makeover was the best thing that ever happened to him/the RE series in general.

I've always liked Chris, but let's face it, his pre-RE5 design was about as exciting as dry toast. Now he's a bodybuilding, boulder punching slice o' beefcake, best upgrade ever.

0Qsn7.png

Seriously though, while he was never a fantastic character he is just comical roided up and stupid looking now.

Dreamer RD

ffxiii2_sunlethWaterscape300_00037_79496_640screen.jpg

He already looked like shitty Seifer clone in 13, but this is complete garbage with some Organization XIII dude hair from KH.

Tokubetsu

11.png

smoke-portr.gif

mka_smoke_1.jpg

Craziness.

Thankfully in the newest one they gave him his best look ever.

Except for the poor way UE3 handles hair. But the concept is good!

Improvement. Fuck the haters.
Yea, I really like smokes design and as a big fan of Bionic Commando 2009, I agree. Fuck the haters. Dreaded Spencer > Ya Life. Get at me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You guys, these are the worst Sonic series designs:

What is this.

GKDrx.jpg

Also, Metal Sonic's redesign as Neo Metal Sonic in Sonic Heroes is just... wtf...

n8mAf.png

What a badass. The black cape, sleeve things, studded belt, and elongated spikes make him so cool. *eyeroll*

Seriously though, while he was never a fantastic character he is just comical roided up and stupid looking now.

Well, obviously I disagree. I only liked his personality before, but now I like the whole package.

The only crime in the RE series I see is what they've done to Jill. She's a train wreck.

WillyFive

Still have no idea why people find the new design so offensive...looks like a rather tame progression, but Ive seen Sonic fans argue over the most inane things so I guess im the minority

Nostalgia.

Taking it out of the equation, the old Sonic looks like Mickey Mouse. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's a Mickey Mouse clone. The new Sonic was more unique, it stood out more to help identify the character and amplify the traits it was supposed to have since the first game, but couldn't because it looked like Mickey Mouse.

Top Bottom