• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frostbite Technical Director on why Frostbite never came to Wii U

pulsemyne

This is what happens when you release a next-gen platform with PS360 level hardware.

I'm not surprised that you believe that.

Really? Because it seems the PS3/360 have no problems with Frostbite. Then you have a console which is more powerful and apparently the engine cannot run well. Strange that cryengine appears to run very well on it, even a quick rush job on Unreal 3 ran okay. Oh and criterion's engine runs very very nice. So obviously somethings not quite right.

JordanN

Banned
I haven't heard anybody say that in months.
I think I saw a bit of it in this thread which was only a few weeks ago (although the wording is sort of skewed. I never argued it was always it, but it did play a role in missing out games/support).
You need to let go of the idea that hardware power is why Nintendo doesn't get support already. For the most part, in most cases, that isn't it.
Rm88~ said:
Where did this argument that Nintendo would automatically get better 3rd party support with nicer specs come from?

In short, Gamecube/N64 got games the future consoles (Wii/Wii U) didn't because of hardware.

B.O.O.M

Need for Speed was originally set to come out last year at launch. It was held back.

Either way it was a release from EA this year for the WiiU.

I can't blame em for not bringing some titles like Madden tho given how it sold. And this is not an EA exclusive approach to the wiiu either. Once the software sales pick up games like Madden will re-appear on the console

Yeah, NFSMWU came out on Wii U...But according to someone on GAF it was delayed to 2013 because EA wanted to see if anyone would double dip, it was a great port but that's the only game.

What I meant was there is no more confirmed games coming to Wii U this year that's from EA.

And I'm not going to try to pass my self as someone that knows a lot about tech, because I really don't.

But IF this engine is really CPU focused while the PS4/720 are also GPU focused like Wii U, wouldn't that mean Frostbite will have problems on Wii U?

Now I'm not a tech savvy person either but I'm pretty sure PS4 is much much more powerful overall compared to the wiiu. Not a single dev have complained about the system having a bottleneck or any weakness in general so far. So I don't think it makes sense to think those systems will have a problem with the next BF. Heck if the rumors are true they will perform much better than the current gen (e.g. a higher count of people in a map in the MP)

I am not sure who told about the WiiU NFS was supposed to come last year but even if true I can't fault them for taking a bit more time to release given some of the initial sales for SW. This is pretty much what Ubi did with Rayman too and they are the biggest supporter for the system

squidyj

Not really. However Wii U tech nerds might know more about the modern Wii U architecture than DICE. Who knows what version of the kit they had. It's gone through tonnes of improvements.

Anyway, I don't believe for a second Wii U couldn't run it in some form and hence the games come to the system. The last tweet was spot on.

Umm, tests not being promising doesn't mean it couldn't run at all, it just means "fuck this bullshit, platform aint worth it". The tweet was salty fanboy tears and nothing more.

BlackJace

So if he had written a more elaborate tweet saying:
It wasn't worth the money, time and human resources to cut-down and/or modify the engine so that it would run smoothly, if at all, on a platform upon which we don't expect sales to recoup the cost.

Everyone would stop being so salty?

They already have FB2 running on the platforms; Nirolak says FB3 is essentially an upgrade of that engine. They have a combined 150M installed base. And a proven audience for the titles that DICE makes.

His point was the hardware was not next gen enough to run it. That was proven bullshit in the face of the PS360 getting a version of the engine. If EA gave a shit, it would run just fine on it.

This is a money issue.

Demon Ice

Banned
Doesnt seem that way at all. I guess people will see it they way they want to though.

How doesn't it? Guy from DICE is being civil and taking the time to answer questions, dude responds with shitty whiny sarcasm. Very butthurt. Very salty.

After reading all the talk about "diminishing returns" and "thermal" this and that in the WiiU GPU thread, I wonder PS4 and XB3 will be able to run this mammoth of an engine.

This is sarcasm, right? WiiU barely qualifies as next gen, its tech is on par with PS360, which is a step up from the Wii for sure, but not even in the same zip code as PS4 / Durango.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
me and my buddies have looked at all the numbers and pictures of the wii u and determined it can do this and that and then some. this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

His point was the hardware was not next gen enough to run it. That was proven bullshit in the face of the PS360 getting a version of the engine. If EA gave a shit, it would run just fine on it.

This is a money issue.
What exactly does it's a "money issue" mean. Everything in a business ultimately comes to being a money issue.

Is this EA-Nintendo nonsense going to be a constant thing over the generation, when Bethesda and Take-Two don't make games for the Wii U and, probably even Ubisoft and Warner after their games tank, stop porting things to the Wii U?

How doesn't it? Guy from DICE is being civil and taking the time to answer questions, dude responds with shitty whiny sarcasm. Very butthurt. Very salty.

This is sarcasm, right? WiiU barely qualifies as next gen, its tech is on par with PS360, which is a step up from the Wii for sure, but not even in the same zip code as PS4 / Durango.
I guess but what will or is the new shadow of eternals running on???

Spongebob

Banned
Case in point. Specs is a bullshit excuse, always was.
They're bringing the engine over to the PS4 and nextbox which will have a smaller install base than the Wii U. Specs still play a part in this, because of the Wii U's current gen level hardware EA don't see the Wii U as part of their future.

Scrabble

Dat last tweet.

ibjS3w1khh9RbB.gif

where is this from?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Probably deemed it not worth the time and money to get it running when they see Black Ops 2 selling 10k units on the system. Can't really blame them.

Ridley327

Yep. If we are to believe the Shadow of the Eternal guys, it has absolutely no problems running CryEngine 3.

If I might make an observation, CryEngine 3 is from an independent developer that needs their engine running on any kind of hardware for licensing purposes to help stay afloat. DICE is not in the same situation, as they're owned outright by EA, so there's far less need for them to make Frostbite Wii U compatible.

I don't think it's a matter of the engine being completely unworkable for the Wii U; I just don't think EA sees any money in the Wii U to make enough of an effort to get it running on there. Obviously, this is a huge problem since the majority of EA's games will be running on Frostbite at some point, but that's just what it is.

squidyj

This is a money issue.

you have to be pretty salty to start assuming the meanings of that tweet.

Note carefully that the nature of the tests and how they determined the promising nature were not disclosed. You seem to be assuming it means that he's saying "THERE WAS NO WAY WE COULD GET FB2 OR 3 ON THE WIIU, IT SO BADZ" but it seems to me like you're only making that assumption because it is the easiest meaning for you to attack.

How doesn't it? Guy from DICE is being civil and taking the time to answer questions...

...with obvious bullshit. Of course he's going to get a snarky reply, few are buying that Frostbite 2 couldn't run on Wii U in the face of the Eternals 2 demo, and the fact that PS360 could run it fine. It's pretty taboo in this industry to just straight up say "it's not worth the effort", but that doesn't mean we have to take every excuse thrown at us.

gngf123

If I might make an observation, CryEngine 3 is from an independent developer that needs their engine running on any kind of hardware for licensing purposes to help stay afloat. DICE is not in the same situation, as they're owned outright by EA, so there's far less need for them to make Frostbite Wii U compatible.

I don't think it's a matter of the engine being completely unworkable for the Wii U; I just don't think EA sees any money in the Wii U to make enough of an effort to get it running on there. Obviously, this is a huge problem since the majority of EA's games will be running on Frostbite at some point, but that's just what it is.

To quote someone else:

This is a money issue.

I'm just pointing out that the hardware talk is absolute rubbish, that's all.

...with obvious bullshit. Of course he's going to get a snarky reply, few are buying that Frostbite 2 couldn't run on Wii U in the face of the Eternals 2 demo, and the fact that PS360 could run it fine. It's pretty taboo in this industry to just straight up say "it's not worth the effort", but that doesn't mean we have to take every excuse thrown at us.

He didn't say that FB2 couldn't run on the Wii U.

Durante

But IF this engine is really CPU focused like some people are saying while the PS4/720 are also GPU focused like Wii U, wouldn't that mean Frostbite will have problems on PS4/720?
Frostbite is really CPU heavy, and very well parallelized.

PS4/720 CPUs don't stack up well against a modern PC CPU, but they are still anywhere from 4 to 8 times faster than Wii U's CPU depending on what metric you look at.

StevieP

Banned

This is extremely likely the exact situation. Not because of any cpu/gpu concerns.

The Wii U is certainly far weaker than ps4/durango but if EA thought there was money to be made there, Dice would be running FB3 on it. They are willing to put money into the other new platforms to cultivate the userbase, but not on Wii U because they don't see any return in the future.

We can speculate all day whether Disney would change their mind, because of how well Star Wars-licensed games have sold on Nintendo platforms. But EA themselves have little interest in the platform.

Meelow

Banned

PS4/720 CPUs don't stack up well against a modern PC CPU, but they are still anywhere from 4 to 8 times faster than Wii U's CPU depending on what metric you look at.

I see...

I think though it won't get better until Nintendo and EA fix each other's relationship, maybe Nintendo should put on there big boy pants and do what EA asks.

I cant wait to here what went down between EA and Nintendo. Might take a few years for it to come out but I am sure it will

They won't say anything, they will both lie and say "there is nothing wrong between us :)"

A lot of people are discounting the PS4 and Infinity for their weak CPUs, but the CPU part is not separate from the GPU. You're looking at APUs, and the CUs should be factored into the computational power. Its far more of an integrated and thought out design than what's present in any currently released platform.

I cant wait to hear what went down between EA and Nintendo. Might take a few years for it to come out but I am sure it will

I think it'll take decades for the full story. We'll need stuff from execs at EA and Nintendo to talk until we can piece together the entire story.

USC-fan

Banned

How many games are CPU limited now a days? Match with a 7850 i dont see the cpu being the limiting factor at all...

Demon Ice

Banned

Well he could have just come out and said the WiiU is selling like an absolute JOKE but then even more people would have bitched about that. Dunno what you want to hear, the specs are weak, the architecture is different, which would mean they'd have to devote a ton of money getting the engine up and running on a system that nobody bought.

You don't need to have an MBA to know that's not smart business.

lenovox1

Perfect. That's exactly what I suspect, but I could never be as eloquent.

It would be best not to plumb the depths that is the hardware delusions of WiiU Acolytes. That way lies madness.

squidyj

of course he's going to get a snarky reply, the internet is full of people who are living examples of the dunning-kruger effect.

Well he could have just come out and said the WiiU is selling like an absolute JOKE but then even more people would have bitched about that. Dunno what you want to hear, the specs are weak, the architecture is different, which would mean they'd have to devote a ton of money getting the engine up and running on a system that nobody bought.

You don't need to have an MBA to know that's not smart business.

I'm saying his excuse is bull, not that what he did was wrong.

of course he's going to get a snarky reply, the internet is full of people who are living examples of the dunning-kruger effect.

Okay I'm lost: what the fuck does this have to do with anything?

Top Bottom