• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Female Focused Star Wars Animated Shorts Show Forces of Destiny out on July 3rd

Vectorman

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkEgVzE4U54

The show, which features the voices of Star Wars actresses Daisy Ridley, Felicity Jones, Ashley Eckstein, Tiya Sircar, Lupita Nyong’o, and others, will debut on YouTube.com/Disney on July 3. Then, a new short will appear on the page every day at 1o a.m. PST, culminating in a TV broadcast on Disney Channel July 9.

Surprised no one really talking about this. I'm not gonna lie to you guys. I think it's great that Disney is getting the ladies the spotlight more and more in other media. What I can rag on them is this half-assed animation. Like that's the best you can give for the ladies, Disney? Especially when there was another short-form Star Wars series called the Clone Wars that blows this animation out of the water. For shame, Disney lol.

Big One

Banned
God the animation style for this is so shitty. :( Wish it was in the CG style of Clone Wars/Rebels. So much jankiness.

This is the absolute PERFECT project to call in Paul Rudish or Genndy Tartakovsky on.

I gotta wonder what the allotted budget was, and why it is where it is, because the animation does not look great.

Hexa

The fuck? My high school multimedia class made better animated Star Wars flash fanfiction than this.

Happened to catch this as a recommended on YouTube and I see I'm not alone re: the animations. I may check it out and it's always nice to see Ahsoka.

Slaythe

Surprised no one really talking about this. I'm not gonna lie to you guys. I think it's great that Disney is getting the ladies a spotlight. What I can rag on them is that half-assed animation. Like that's the best you can give for the ladies, Disney? Especially when there was another short-form Star Wars series called the Clone Wars that blows this animation out of the water. For shame, Disney lol.

You're shitting me ?

They had two female characters as the leads of their two biggest movies and Star Wars revival, what awful treatment they give the ladies, am I right ?

Boem

They've been doing these short BB8 animated shorts that also have a relatively low budget and aren't much more than short promo things, but the animation in that works a lot better for what it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8IU1jb9W8s

It probably helps that they don't have to portray humans in those shorts though. This just looks bad to me. Those dolls they showed at Celebration that are coming out alongside these shorts also look absolutely horrendous to me. Yes, I know, I'm not even remotely in the market for them, but this just looks like a nightmare:

nzehjmqegp9bjdkcamjt.jpg

Note: Dolls scare me to begin with so that might be influencing my opinion

I think the idea is really cool and I would love to watch a fun animation starring someone like Jyn Erso, but the lack of any kind of budget turned this into something very easy to ignore for me.

You're shitting me ?

They had two female characters as the leads of their two biggest movies and Star Wars revival, what awful treatment they give the ladies, am I right ?
Yea forreal, what is OP on about? Episode 7(and 8 and 9), Rogue One, and now Battlefront 2 all have female leads. Don't really see how Star Wars is mistreating 'the ladies'.

Yea forreal, what is OP on about? Episode 7(and 8 and 9), Rogue One, and now Battlefront 2 all have female leads. Don't really see how Star Wars is mistreating 'the ladies'.

On an overall level - Lucasfilm is doing a lot better than they've ever done.
On this specific example - this budget is woeful. Their first animated series specifically targeted at girls (yes, it's for everyone, but this is definitely aimed at little girls primarily) and there appears to be almost no money for it.

It would have been nice for this microseries to have looked good.

Surprised no one really talking about this. I'm not gonna lie to you guys. I think it's great that Disney is getting the ladies a spotlight. What I can rag on them is that half-assed animation. Like that's the best you can give for the ladies, Disney? Especially when there was another short-form Star Wars series called the Clone Wars that blows this animation out of the water. For shame, Disney lol.

Was this not the case with Disney Star Wars before? If I'm not mistaken, both of their movies have had female leads

Vectorman

Banned
On this specific example - this budget is woeful. Their first animated series specifically targeted at girls (yes, it's for everyone, but this is definitely aimed at little girls primarily) and there appears to be almost no money for it.

This is a good post for those that missed my point in the initial post. Still I changed that sentence to avoid more misinterpretation.

Keasar

This is the absolute PERFECT project to call in Paul Rudish or Genndy Tartakovsky on.

I gotta wonder what the allotted budget was, and why it is where it is, because the animation does not look great.

I actually thought for a micro-second that Genndy was involved when I saw the tiny thumbnail for the video and got excited thinking it reminded me of his style.

Then the video played and I also remembered that George Lucas was a whiny twat who couldn't stand that someone made better Star Wars than him and declared the superior Clone Wars series non-canon.
tumblr_nvrercBJo11uvcoq0o1_400.gif
d6lqydK.gif

This was genuinely great stuff and I usually don't enjoy most Star Wars media. :(

BajiBoxer

Banned
Sounds interesting, but a real shame about the animation. Disney can do better, there's no reason to look this bad. It looks like they were going for the look of the original Clones War shorts, but cut a lot of corners.

I think that's more because it's targeted at little kids than anything. I find whenever that's the case, studios always adopt the cheapest art style because the audience won't care either way

I'm still not sure if it needs saying, but we are not the intended audience for this.

I mean, look at this shit:

7vFeM7U.jpg

Level 2 readers are for ages 6-8.

Yes, the animation could look nicer but the kids watching this aren't gonna care

fake edit: Villain kinda covered my point

I actually thought for a micro-second that Genndy was involved when I saw the tiny thumbnail for the video and got excited thinking it reminded me of his style.

Then the video played and I also remembered that George Lucas was a whiny twat who couldn't stand that someone made better Star Wars than him and declared the superior Clone Wars series non-canon.
tumblr_nvrercBJo11uvcoq0o1_400.gif
d6lqydK.gif

This was genuinely great stuff and I usually don't enjoy most Star Wars media. :(

Let's not forget

64a49d2a827d15d3ce71d5a6daf2b0bb.gif

Pepboy

It's because it hasn't been promoted much and the budget is pretty low.

But remember, it's canon! So I'll watch all of it.

Maybe they haven't promoted it much to give the appearance of milking Fishers death... But probably more likely they focus tested and saw tepid responses.

sphagnum

Banned
Thevideo played and I also remembered that George Lucas was a whiny twat who couldn't stand that someone made better Star Wars than him

Not what happened. Genndywars was just never canon because George wasn't really involved other than funding it.

PaulloDEC

Hate to be another person doing it, but geez, that animation. I don't think I've ever seen a wider gap between the prestige of the IP and the quality of the production.

Keasar

We got The Clone Wars which improves upon almost everything Genndy did with his version and Lucas is barely involved with it.

I tried watching an episode or two of that a long time ago but I couldn't get hooked, not sure exactly why. I should give it another try and see what I think now, heard that there are some guides on what to watch to skip all the filler.

What I can say though is that Genndy's work ages very well over time, The Clone Wars looks like it dated quickly in terms of animation quality.

Also I have some strong doubts that they "improved" upon Windu Fu:
qAiNbvS.gif

MisterHero

If they wanted Rey to be badass she should've been one in Ep. 7 instead of crying about home all the time

Shoddy animation coming from a division if Disney too

Top Bottom