• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What creator/writer ruined the lore of their property overtime the most?

Chumley

Banned
How could I forget? Especially with the classic line she delivered. Uh, I think it was something like, "It's a good day to die... FOR YOU!" or maybe, "I know you are, but what am I?!"

Also, while the dialogue, characters, and narrative events are completely awful, it's important not to overlook how many hits the underlying lore took. Did you like the idea of a literal battle between Heaven and Hell? Well, now "Heaven" and "Hell" are just sort of alien planets inhabited by asshole species that kind of look angelic/demonic, and their war is just a pissy territorial spat. Enjoy your epic who gives a fuck.

uuuughhhhhhh

And people sometimes say with a straight face that there wasn't that much of a difference between Diablo 2's story and atmosphere with Diablo 3's

I can't think of a more drastic difference between game sequels.

PSqueak

Banned
He didn't ruin it, but the new Ren and Stimpy episodes were something else.

Ren & Stimpy were always shit, the guy is a genius animator, but R&S was always bad, stupid gross out humor and i remember being the only cartoon i ever felt like "wow, i have outgrown this".

Uzumaki Goku

I love everything about this gif. The change of haircolour, the growth in size, the impossible angle he smacks against the couch, that this is supposed to cause a deadly injury, how utterly non-threatening the injury looks...

its just beautiful.

I don't even understand what's happening here....

jett

D-Member
Have any of them ever had two huge hits?

I'm sure there are more examples than this one, but there's Yoshihiro Togashi, creator of YuYu Hakusho and Hunter X Hunter.

oh fuck me i didn't even think about MGS... a franchise i was actually invested in.
The "twist" in 5 did it for me. Final nail and all that. 4 at least had that amazing fist fight with Ocelot on top of arsenal at the end... 5 was just... fucking stupid. (story beat wise of course. It's terrible that such good gameplay is mired but such a fuckwit story.)

This is what Kojima has over other media. The final twist was the most unnecessary thing in the world, but at least MGSV plays well. Oh well, he can't do any more damage to Metal Gear now even if he wanted to.

Fuchsdh

Without getting into my beef with him for the show in general over time I'll keep it simple and say Steven Moffat with the Weeping Angels.

That's a good one too. I'd say as preface that while I liked some Doctor Who, overall I wasn't a big fan. But I'd rank Series 5 of Doctor Who as some of the best overall seasons of television ever, its only major fault being that it has one weak two-parter you have to watch for the overall arc.

But man, the series following started getting more and more inconsistent, and overusing the Weeping Angels is probably the most obvious answer.

Jojo has the best lore, let Araki do his thing.

I can kind of see his point, actually. As much as I love and even prefer some of the later chapters (Steel Ball Run is my favorite), the underlying lore does get pretty fucking dumb, even as the overall quality of writing improves.

As a narrative, JoJo is great. As a "world" it's an irreconcilable mess.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Starcraft and Bleach are the two winners in my mind. Both start with perfectly fine premises, and then the writers proceeded to pour complete nonsense into their worlds for years until there was nothing of worth left.

Maledict

uuuughhhhhhh

And people sometimes say with a straight face that there wasn't that much of a difference between Diablo 2's story and atmosphere with Diablo 3's

I can't think of a more drastic difference between game sequels.

I've grown to love D3 thanks to its mechanics and feel, but fuck me if it isn't the worse storyline. I've ever experienced in a game. And I've been gaming since I had a Spectrum 48k. I have no idea how such an insanely, terribly, shitty storyline and characterization ever got through even the barest of glances.

Every single line uttered in the game is absolute garbage crap.

I wouldn't say ruined as the later books are a still mostly solid, but Stephen King inserting himself into the Dark Tower series was pretty cringeworthy.

There's a place for metafiction and 'author meets his own characters' stuff, but it's not in a science-fiction/fantasy series with an established world that's been decades in the making

Fisty

X Files is a fantastic answer, I remember the episode Jose Chung's From Outer Space was what absolutely killed the show for me.

When you make a whacked out parody episode that is WAY better than what you've been putting out for 2 seasons, you know you done fucked up your show. Every single season finale was just blue balls or "man this huge conspiracy is so crazy, too bad we weren't able to get a single goddamn piece of evidence... YET AGAIN"

kswiston

I was about to mention him.
And Doctor Slump was also quite popular before Toriyama moved on to Dragonball.

I'm sure there are more examples than this one, but there's Yoshihiro Togashi, creator of YuYu Hakusho and Hunter X Hunter.

Thanks. I am not huge into Manga, but I get the impression that Japanese creators are more likely to try and make a career out of a single successful IP than their western counterparts are. This sort of locks you into messing with your own lore when you get 10-15 years deep. Especially for the projects following more standard Shonen tropes.

Matsukaze

JoJo lore wth
Nah. It's still good. Batshit crazy, but enjoyable.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but I'm curious where you think it started to go wrong.

And as for the topic at hand, it's hard to not say Simpsons, seeing as how it's become an undead monstrosity.

I agree with OP that it's Chris Metzen. This guy had his hands in all their properties and he fucked them all up.

It's kind of telling that during the tale-end of his time at Blizzard the teams all conspicuously started to work on properties that have largely "implied" narratives with extremely limited dialogue (Overwatch, Hearthstone, HotS).

"No, uh... no Chris, really, we don't need you for anything. Just a silly card game over here, no story to worry about. You... you just keep working on your own projects, don't mind us."

Platy

You missed a crucial half of the concept of science fiction.

Unless you think most animes are science fiction than not.

It is not science fiction to explain stuff without science.

The powers from Saint Seiya are MORE sci fi because "you have to concentrate your chi to reach the 7th sense and unleash blasts from your fists" and the 5 senses are closer to science.

You use midchlorians so you can trow lightning from your hand is exactly that.

"alchemy requires trading one thing to another", "concentrate your spiritual energy in your finger", " The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

The chi allow you to use the force or you use chi to measure the force.

Still mystical shit

trimon

Can someone make the opposite version of this thread? I'd really like to know which franchises have improved their lore overtime.

jett

D-Member
Thanks. I am not huge into Manga, but I get the impression that Japanese creators are more likely to try and make a career out of a single successful IP than their western counterparts are. This sort of locks you into messing with your own lore when you get 10-15 years deep. Especially for the projects following more standard Shonen tropes.

It's funny how I have a completely different impression, with comic books like Superman, Spider-man, Batman and whatnot running for over half a century. But I guess the people that have actually worked on those properties over the decades don't really own them, so it's not an accurate comparison.

Speaking of, if you really want to talk about constantly fucked up lore, just pick up a random serialized comic book, lol.

Tacitus_

Yup.

I can't believe Blizzard fans give him a pass. One of the worst writers in video game history, Diablo 3 feels like it was made for elementary school children. It's embarrassing to hear the shit he put in that game as a grown ass man.

Who's giving him a pass? People started joking about the lore back in 07 when TBC released (I still have a paladin named Lorelol) thanks to the fuckery with the space goats and crack elves. I think WOTLK lore was mostly well received, but then in 2010 they had the double punch of Cataclysm and SC2.

Voidwolf

harrison-fell.gif

Holy hell, what are the chances I'm about to finish season 7 tonight and move on to the final one and I run into this. Haha, so random. Doesn't look like the kid dies though so I'll just try not to think about this.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
About Ridley Scott, please tell me him mentioning that
Jesus
was an Engineer was a joke someone made up.

Not going to bother with "the worst" since I don't care enough for any properties that have creators that bent on ruining them, but I'll name some video game related ones.

- Hideo Kojima and Metal Gear: Everything was more or less fine with MGS1-3 but 4 is where he really started dropping the ball and it was clear he didn't have the same passion for it he once had. 4 was full of ridiculous moments that belong in garbage fanfiction and with 5, he clearly didn't want to make a Metal Gear game.

- Inafune and various Capcom IPs: Inafune is not actually the creator of any of these but he was largely responsible for the way Capcom tried to "Americanize" some of their brands. Mainly with DMC. The only success story he had last gen was Dead Rising. Not being content, he decided to also make mockery of the Mega Man franchise he claims he created with the whole MN9 debacle.

- Miyamoto and the Mario brand: I know many of you will disagree with me but I feel like Miyamoto's vision of what he wants the Mario series to be has held it back in some ways. It's no secret that he was against Intelligent Systems trying to tell unique stories in the Paper Mario games and the franchise as a whole became much more safe during the Wii U's lifetime. Generic grass/desert/snow backgrounds were recycled for all of the games, Bowser was the only one allowed to be the main villain, gameplay in 3D Mario games regressed to playing more like the 2D games. It's good that with the upcoming Mario Odyssey, Nintendo seems willing to take chances again. Maybe they locked Miyamoto in the staff closet during Odyssey's brainstorming sessions.

Ray Down

Banned
Akira Toriyama?

Akira strengths are all about going along on the ride with him and he held you in the moment fantastically and as twists and turns and surprises, he delivered. He was largely making it up as he went along week by week. And he was very good at that.

But overall continuity, keeping up with various characters, and story cohesion were NOT his strong-points.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The Borg. The second they introduced a Queen, it was all over.

I think the Queen worked as a singular avatar representing the collective. I saw her as no different than Locutus. She was the face of the Borg.

But then she became their actual leader, separate from them.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
People saying any kind of video game series or western movie series are crazy when anime exists.

Anime authors go off the fucking rails with startling regularity.

How could I forget? Especially with the classic line she delivered. Uh, I think it was something like, "It's a good day to die... FOR YOU!" or maybe, "I know you are, but what am I?!"

Also, while the dialogue, characters, and narrative events are completely awful, it's important not to overlook how many hits the underlying lore took. Did you like the idea of a literal battle between Heaven and Hell? Well, now "Heaven" and "Hell" are just sort of alien planets inhabited by asshole species that kind of look angelic/demonic, and their war is just a pissy territorial spat. Enjoy your epic who gives a fuck.

they legit copypasted WoW lore into diablo? Oh lord hahaha

jett

D-Member
JoJo lore is perfect. Here's my summary of JoJo lore:

Araki does whatever he wants and you just sit there and like it.

Unless you think most animes are science fiction than not.

It is not science fiction to explain stuff without science.

The powers from Saint Seiya are MORE sci fi because "you have to concentrate your chi to reach the 7th sense and unleash blasts from your fists" and the 5 senses are closer to science.

You use midchlorians so you can trow lightning from your hand is exactly that.

"alchemy requires trading one thing to another", "concentrate your spiritual energy in your finger", " The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

The chi allow you to use the force or you use chi to measure the force.

Still mystical shit
A blood test that determines a level of sybiotic organisms that determine or reflect or cause special powers is literally science fiction.

LotusHD

Banned
Another thing that hugely irked me about Bleach was how Ichigo managed to be connected to each of the special race/abilities seen throughout the manga: Shinigami, Hollow, Fullbring, and even a fucking Quincy lol

If there's a convenient ability out there, Ichigo is able to access it, because reasons.

Speaking of rails

Air Gear

lol

Oh jesus, I peeped the manga, what the hell even happened there. Wasn't Obama even involved somehow lmao

Poppy

JoJo lore is perfect. Here's my summary of JoJo lore:

Araki does whatever he wants and you just sit there and like it.

araki seriously just changes storylines randomly from month to month based on what movies he saw recently

steel ball run had such whiplash, but it doesnt matter because it is awesome, and thats just how it goes

Javier23

Banned
Kojima in MGS4
turning the whole backstory to the Metal Gear series into a protracted cold war between Big Boss and Zero that we had never really been witness to in any way or form right before the great finale of the series (as it was at the time) rubbed me off the wrong way. Nowhere earlier (but in PO) had there been any hints at this being the case (please don't bring up MGS3, that's just dumb) and it reduced the entire world of the game to a handful of odd people, nobodies really, from different militaries who stumbled across a massive stash of money from the times of the Great War and who now were fighting each other because they once had a drunken philosophical debate about the last words of a dead comrade that they weren't able to settle any other way but doing the only thing they knew to do. Except now with a gazillion billion dollars.

Long gone for a few MGS were the very Japanese, movie-like, melodramatic struggles of a bunch of relatively ordinary grizzled vets with limited information putting in the hours overnight to stop a nuclear catastrophe for a stereotypical semi-corrupt and shadowy executive with highly irregular secret dealings and a bigger stake than immediately apparent in the matter, all set in a relatively grounded post-Cold War international context.

Never go full anime.

Another thing that hugely irked me about Bleach was how Ichigo managed to be connected to each of the special race/abilities seen throughout the manga: Shinigami, Hollow, Quincy, Fullbring, and even a fucking Quincy lol

If there's a convenient ability out there, Ichigo is able to access it, because reasons.

The really terrible part of that was that the author had all of these other neglected characters he could use for those stories (Sado as a Fullbringer, Ishida as a Quincy, etc.), so he could have told basically the same stories just with a different main character for each major arc and had something a little more JoJo-like instead.

LotusHD

Banned
The really terrible part of that was that the author had all of these other neglected characters he could use for those stories (Sado as a Fullbringer, Ishida as a Quincy, etc.), so he could have told basically the same stories just with a different main character for each major arc and had something a little more JoJo-like instead.

Yea, he really knew how to neglect the supporting cast. What made it even more egregious was the fact that there were so many characters to deal with too after the Soul Society arc concluded.

Chumley

Banned
Who's giving him a pass? People started joking about the lore back in 07 when TBC released (I still have a paladin named Lorelol) thanks to the fuckery with the space goats and crack elves. I think WOTLK lore was mostly well received, but then in 2010 they had the double punch of Cataclysm and SC2.

I shouldn't say all Blizzard fans, but when he retired I saw an absolute ton of posts talking about how much he'll be missed and how important he was, etc. His newfound power in 06 or whenever was the worst thing that's ever happened to the company.

No mention of Metroid: Other M? I mean, that piece of crap literally shrunk Samus by at least a full foot, and that was the least of its offenses.

Thumbs down.

Top Bottom