• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim League of Alamo Drafthouse extends mercy to noted blogger/molester

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I offered Devin copywriting work at Alamo Drafthouse
It seems like it'd be worth knowing what kind of work this actually entailed and what kind of pay he was receiving. Those details could potentially make this story significantly worse.

Tim League also told one of the women that that dumpster-clown sexually harassed to keep it on the dl:
L8rd6ag.jpg
You might be able to say he was only referencing the email exchange and not her story itself. Then again, maybe not.

But this whole thing stinks. Fortunately, Drafthouse really doesn't mean anything to me personally, so I can safely steer clear.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i liked devin's writing and i liked the canon a lot. it's been pretty weird trying to balance that with these allegations. i was really surprised how completely loathed he was by so many when all this shit came to light. one of the more damning criticisms came from nick nunziata, closing the thread for me, past and present colliding.

can anyone elaborate on these "other" allegations?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Maybe they should add no sexual harassment to the whole, "No talking or cell phones" rule.

It seems like it'd be worth knowing what kind of work this actually entailed and what kind of pay he was receiving. Those details could potentially make this story significantly worse.

You might be able to say he was only referencing the email exchange and not her story itself. Then again, maybe not.

But this whole thing stinks. Fortunately, Drafthouse really doesn't mean anything to me personally, so I can safely steer clear.

Not purchasing Mondo stuff is gonna suck, because their soundtracks on Vinyl have been fucking AMAZING lately, but like - I'm already kinda pissed that recent purchases of mine from Mondo have apparently meant a percentage of that money did go to Devin Faraci, however small.

Also, yeah, it's pretty clear that the email being sent around is Tim basically telling another employee not to talk about Devin's behavior towards her for the sake of keeping things hushed as he helps Devin (more or less under the table) maintain an income at Drafthouse.

I believe he's basically been writing a lot of the uncredited blurbs and promo/events copy that you see at drafthouse.com and on stuff at the actual theater. And seeing as League himself seems to have confirmed the rumors, he's been doing that work for Drafthouse in secret for awhile now.

Basically, I don't think Faraci has ever actually been unemployed. He just isn't the EIC at BMD anymore.

Norse360

I live in a country where even people who've been jailed for serious crimes gets a second chance, so I'm ok with this. I always liked his writing and hope I can read his work again. Gamergate idiots hate him, so that's a bonus.

I live in a country where even people who've been jailed for serious crimes gets a second chance

I had a weird (and ultimately go-nowhere) conversation with a listener about this earlier this morning, and I guess my question is why does "forgiveness" and "second chance" = "go right back to work at your old job?"

Considering almost every aspect of Devin's negative behavior was either enabled or boosted by his position as an entertainment writer, why is his forgiveness tied by necessity to his getting to do that work again? Why can't his second chance be... literally anywhere else other than the place he basically shit all over for something like a decade straight?

Why are the only choices for second chances the ones where he gets let back in the club he poisoned for years?

Dan

Also, yeah, it's pretty clear that the email being sent around is Tim basically telling another employee not to talk about Devin's behavior towards her for the sake of keeping things hushed as he helps Devin (more or less under the table) maintain an income at Drafthouse.
Oh, that's an employee? My brain leapt to her being an outsider. That's... eh.

Basically, I don't think Faraci has ever actually been unemployed. He just isn't the EIC at BMD anymore.
Yeah, that's what I was kinda thinking.

I had a weird (and ultimately go-nowhere) conversation with a listener about this earlier this morning, and I guess my question is why does "forgiveness" and "second chance" = "go right back to work at your old job?"

Considering almost every aspect of Devin's negative behavior was either enabled or boosted by his position as an entertainment writer, why is his forgiveness tied by necessity to his getting to do that work again? Why can't his second chance be... literally anywhere else other than the place he basically shit all over for something like a decade straight?

Why are the only choices for second chances the ones where he gets let back in the club he poisoned for years?
Yup.

If Devin's 'recovered', why keep his re-hiring a secret? Shady as hell.
It's at the very least a tacit admission that League wanted to avoid a conversation about it. It could even indicate League knew it wasn't the most ethical move but still wanted to help out his buddy.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

That'd be the most literal meaning of his shitty statement, and it's pretty obvious, given his shady ass way of keeping Faraci working, that Tim meant to keep the entire conversation and situation hushed. The line about his vacation is pretty dumb/gross, too.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Friends always look out for you. Even when you're a dirtbag.

I will seriously consider whether or not I give anymore money to any of Leagues known brands from now on. Faraci didn't need to come back into the fold, this is all just favoritism at its finest. Sucks that it happened with a theater company that often shows movies I love, but that's not so hard to find in major cities. I'll happily help out smaller venues now.

If Devin's 'recovered', why keep his re-hiring a secret? Shady as hell.

he knew it would look bad and he'd try to stem it for as long as he could. I wonder if this was their plan all along. take a year away, see what the temperature is like and then bring him back and build him back up.

I hope he's seriously reconsidering his actions.

Dan

That'd be the most literal meaning of his shitty statement, and it's pretty obvious, given his shady ass way of keeping Faraci working, that Tim meant to keep the entire conversation and situation hushed. The line about his vacation is pretty dumb/gross, too.
I think, yes, I'm infinitely less willingly to even consider a charitable read on that upon learning it was an employee. And yeah, in hindsight with this new revelation... ugh.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Whatever work he's put in has been on the low. League is vouching for him that he's sober, so I guess maybe he's been in and come out of some sort of program?

I dont' think he's actually issued any sort of apology. I don't know that League ever really addressed it, either? At least not directly? Maybe I'm forgetting, though.
I think this is part of what makes this bad (beyond the shady secretiveness of keeping him employed). DF and Drafthouse never really addressed the situation in the first place, they just let it fade away until people forgot about it. BMD posted a brief editorially, and IIRC FilmCritHulk said something on twitter about believing victims. That's pretty much it. As mentioned earlier, the other allegations against him were never adressed, and the whole thing was simply played off like it was one incident done while blackout drunk rather than a pattern.

I know a lot of people were cynical about him stepping down and fully expected his return would be inevitable due to how many friends he still has in the industry. But I don't think even the most cynical of people could've guessed his inevitable return would occur... instantaneously.

norm9

From the Hollywood reporter-
"I find the statement to be very disingenuous on Tim's part because there was never any question of whether Devin would be given that opportunity. It wasn't offered after a period of growth and change. Devin just very rapidly moved into his current copywriting/editing job after stepping down from Birth.Movies.Death.," says the former employee, who asked not to be identified by name.

He continues: "Devin's new position was not initially announced internally so it's difficult for me to say with exact certainty when he began in it. But it was clear he was around, being cc'd on emails and such, within a month of his leaving BMD. After a number of employees expressed concern/outrage, an internal announcement was made much in the same spirit of Tim's Facebook post, that he was 'doing the work' and deserved forgiveness and a second chance...I don't feel that a single month or less is long enough to properly reflect on, atone for and change such long standing behaviors."

So anonymous source says Faraci was working within the month of stepping down. Hmmm.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
barely a month? yea fuck that, fuck league and fuck the brands. that's all just fucked.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's understandable. His friend showed a huge amount of remorse that people found out he's a shitbag, and it's not like there are any out of work writers in Austin who would be able to take that job.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
And we all know he isn't going to be copywriting there forever. They'll bump him back up where he used to be. Otherwise why wouldn't he just seek employment elsewhere?

Mifune

Mehmber
It's pretty disappointing to see female bloggers defend this decision and label those who don't "Outrage Twitter."

Actually it's not too surprising since it's right out of the Faraci playbook.

I get that you're friends and forgive him. But why do it publicly. What message does that send to other victims of abuse?

Foggy

Way to take a sterling reputation and throw it in the shitter over this piece of trash. Incredibly disheartening.

Foggy

It's pretty disappointing to see female bloggers defend this decision and label those who don't "Outrage Twitter."

Actually it's not too surprising since it's right out of the Faraci playbook.

I get that you're friends and forgive him. But why do it publicly. What message does that send to other victims of abuse?

From the same bloggers who project fearlessness and righteousness when it suits them, but shrink into vague platitudes or defensive posturing when it involves their friend. It's all a bunch of horseshit.

This is a really interesting story. The only thing I knew about Faraci is that he used to be a huge blogger/Marvel fanboy. I had no idea that he sexually molested people or that he was somehow involved in the Alamo Drafthouse (I thought the Drafthouse was a single independently-operated theater).

I need someone to create a link chart on a bulletin board, like in all those detective shows where the evidence is connected by strings.

Amagon

Shit is getting real on fb.

Director of international programming for Fantastic Fest, Todd Brown, has announced he is parting ways with the festival over this decision. You may have heard of a couple movies he helped produce, Raid 1 and 2. Brown is particularly angered that he was not kept informed at any step of the process and ultimately found out the same time as the rest of us via a social media post.
Shit, I'd been following Todd for years on twitchfilm.com and big up for him taking a stance from this bs.

HStallion

This is a really interesting story. The only thing I knew about Faraci is that he used to be a huge blogger/Marvel fanboy. I had no idea that he sexually molested people or that he was somehow involved in the Alamo Drafthouse (I thought the Drafthouse was a single independently-operated theater).

I need someone to create a link chart on a bulletin board, like in all those detective shows where the evidence is connected by strings.

The Alamo Drafthouse is way more than just 1 theater, its now a chain of theaters that are in many major cities across the US as well as their other ventures like producing small films and things like their Mondo Tee's line of merch like limited edition custom movie posters.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

I need some kind of summary!
He worked as editor in chief of the site Birth.Movies.Death. (formerly BadassDigest) which was owned by Drafthouse. I think he was also involved in some capacity with the film festival side of the organization too.

Last year, when the Trump Access Hollywood tape came out, DF made a comment on Twitter about it and someone responded that DF had sexually assaulted her in a similar way that Trump was bragging about on the tape. That set off the whole thing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I believe in redemption and forgiveness. I don't know if Faraci did anything to deserve those in the eyes of the public or especially more importantly to his victims. It's shady as fuck to hire him in secret.5

Merc_

It's always funny how people are only progressive up until their friends fuck up. Then they behave exactly how the people they claim to hate do.

PudieRSC

I just don't see why he just... gets to be a paid film writer again. Why that's a thing that should happen.

I'm not sure I get that reasoning. Forgiveness - that's between the individual and the forgiven.

But maybe he gets to try out other professions now.

Because sure as shit this isn't going to go well for him once they try to graduate his ass back to the main site.

And I don't know why the writers there would put up with that were it to happen.

Because that's what he does and is good at. It's his life and passion to do that. And at the end of the day it's just being a writer about film. He's not in public office, around children, or really dealing with anything of importance or influence.

Assuming the forgiveness is there, after a year of reflection and self improvement, why shouldn't anyone have the opportunity to work their way back into what they did before? If I'm a chef who loses my job under similar circumstances I'm sure as shit not going to try and be an accountant in year.

There's an often-linked/shared post by a guy on Medium who basically pulled every last receipt of Devin Faraci's. The problem is that the post (I believe it might have been begun before the controversy even started) exists as part of the effort to kneecap the dude on behalf of all the gamergaters he'd pissed off (it's more or less a gamergate dirtsheet w/talking points that managed to outlive "the cause" if you will, and its writer is the kinda guy who unironically follows & retweets Ian Miles Cheong, for example. His latest project is charting all the youtubers being de-monetized by google as some sort of weird sideways defense of PDP, I believe), but as time's gone on it's kinda become more of a laundry list of just overall shitty behavior by the man. Some of the reciepts are a little sketchy/iffy as damning examples of shitty behavior, but most of them feature a spotlight aimed in just the right place.

But it's hard (and uncomfortable) linking to it knowing it's basically giving its writer a big fat chub everytime someone clicks on it because so far as he's concerned, it's a point in gamergate's favor and a big fuck you to people who (rightfully) criticized that movement.

It's always funny how people are only progressive up until their friends fuck up. Then they behave exactly how the people they claim to hate do.

This doesn't even make any sense as a complaint. What's right-wing about suggesting an unapologetic sex offender who was, aside from being a sex-offender, often a giant piece of shit, should maybe not be let back into the very community he often poisoned the fuck out of?

What's particularly red state about that response to you?

Because that's what he does and is good at. It's his life and passion to do that.

This doesn't ring as the greatest reasoning though. There are a lot of people who didn't get to go back to their old line of work in the public eye after personal failings that hurt others. They got lower-key jobs in other areas of life, and managed to make their recoveries and do the most with their second chances there. Athletes who became contractors, actors who became insurance salesmen, that sorta shit.

Why is Devin Faraci entitled to return to the henhouse after eating all those chickens and shitting in the nests after less than a year of private contrition and no real loss of income from his employer?

Nekofrog

Banned
Because that's what he does and is good at. It's his life and passion to do that. And at the end of the day it's just being a writer about film. He's not in public office, around children, or really dealing with anything of importance or influence.

Assuming the forgiveness is there, after a year of reflection and self improvement, why shouldn't anyone have the opportunity to work their way back into what they did before? If I'm a chef who loses my job under similar circumstances I'm sure as shit not going to try and be an accountant in year.

He was back on the job almost immediately dude.

kirblar

This is bad.

If it were him getting a token job after rehab while he finds other work, that'd be one thing, From a friendship/personal perspective I'd understand the impulse to do that. But that's not what this is, this is an attempt at re-integration almost immediately after the incidents that led to him stepping down where his role is slowly being expanded.

PudieRSC

This doesn't ring as the greatest reasoning though. There are a lot of people who didn't get to go back to their old line of work in the public eye after personal failings that hurt others. They got lower-key jobs in other areas of life, and managed to make their recoveries and do the most with their second chances there. Athletes who became contractors, actors who became insurance salesmen, that sorta shit.

Why is Devin Faraci entitled to return to the henhouse after eating all those chickens and shitting in the nests after less than a year of private contrition and no real loss of income from his employer?

And there are those that have done a lot worse and have come back to do the same thing they were doing. Sometimes as better people. Sometimes as not.

Maybe I'm giving too much of a benefit of the doubt, and I get the reaction of thinking this was done in private in a shady way, but I see it more of a friend seeing a friend go through something bad. Something the friend is responsible for, but who accepts that responsibility, and learns and grows from it. So he gives him small jobs to do. Enough to keep his life together. I'd expect my friends to do the same.

It's not like Devin is EIC, back at BMD, or saying "Fuck everyone!" and starting a new site. He's doing tiny, inconsequential things to earn a paycheck. People fuck up. But people also still deserve the love and respect of their friends and family if they show an effort to learn and grow from said fuck up. And that's what I see here.

HStallion

What does being good at what he does have to do with any of this? Its not even as much about him as it is Tim League being extra shady about thew hole affair.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
And there are those that have done a lot worse and have come back to do the same thing they were doing. Sometimes as better people. Sometimes as not.

Maybe I'm giving too much of a benefit of the doubt, and I get the reaction of thinking this was done in private in a shady way, but I see it more of a friend seeing a friend go through something bad. Something the friend is responsible for, but who accepts that responsibility, and learns and grows from it. So he gives him small jobs to do. Enough to keep his life together. I'd expect my friends to do the same.

It's not llike Devin is EIC, back at BMD, or saying "Fuck everyone!" and starting a new site. He's doing tiny, inconsequential things to earn a paycheck. People fuck up. But people also still deserve the love and respect of their friends and family if they show an effort to learn and grow from said fuck up. And that's what I see here.
I was originally sort of neutral on this, but the fact that a.) its been going on since nearly right after the incident and b.) they didn't disclose it until they basically got caught has soured me really hard

IrishNinja

The Rolfe stuff was unfortunate for more than a couple reasons, but Faraci being a shitheel doesn't erase the way a lot of gamergaters basically used Rolfe as a shield/smokescreen for their disingenuous bullshit.

Rolfe volunteered, whether it was unassumingly or not, to be the fresh face of a weird little movment that had its roots in something way more hurtful than simple "muh childhood moobies" bullshit.

This isnt' really about James Rolfe and that dumb Ghostbusters shit, though.

it is, but as your recent post said - GG has t heir hands in this mess, too. shit's layered, but:

From the Hollywood reporter-

So anonymous source says Faraci was working within the month of stepping down. Hmmm.

this is highkey analogous in my mind to the shit penny arcade was pulling a while back: why go out of your way to build goodwill with women & other marginalized communities, just to shit it up over something so clearly not worth it?
trust/faith like that takes long to build, and little to erase, historically. i don't get it.

Top Bottom