• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linda Hamilton returns to "Terminator".

From THR:
After waving hasta la vista, baby, more than 25 years ago, Linda Hamilton is returning to the world of Terminator, reuniting with James Cameron, the creator of the sci-fi franchise, for the new installment being made by Skydance and Paramount.

Cameron made the announcement at a private event celebrating the storied franchise, saying, "As meaningful as she was to gender and action stars everywhere back then, it’s going to make a huge statement to have that seasoned warrior that she’s become return."

With Hamilton’s return, Cameron hopes to once again make a statement on gender roles in action movies.

"There are 50-year-old, 60-year-old guys out there killing bad guys,” he said, referring to aging male actors still anchoring movies, “but there isn’t an example of that for women.”

Tim Miller, the filmmaker who made his breakout feature debut with Deadpool, is directing the sequel, which is returning to its roots by having the involvement of Cameron for the first time since 1991’s Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

Cameron is producing along with Skydance. And the new film, which will be distributed by Paramount, is based on a story crafted by Cameron. Cameron and Miller created a writers room to hammer out what is planned to be a trilogy that can stand as single movies or form an overarching story. David Goyer, whose credits include the Blade and Christopher Nolan’s Batman movies, Charles Eglee, who created Dark Angel with Cameron, and Josh Friedman, who created the Terminator TV spinoff, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, were part of that room.

uu9pmDP.gif

FyreWulff

must have a good script if his ex-wife wants to work with him again

Its

This feels like the sonic cycle

Im not biting. See if this even gets made.

Well, she technically turned down showing up in any of the other ones. Just did tape re-records.

border

So are they just going to ignore the events of Terminator Genisys? I never saw it, but I had heard it just royally fucked the continuity/story.

How are they going to work aging Arnold into this as well?

FyreWulff

So are they just going to ignore the events of Terminator Genisys? I never saw it, but I had heard it just royally fucked the continuity/story.

How are they going to work aging Arnold into this as well?

Cameron's Terminator is almost guaranteed to ignore everything after T2.

The only way any thing of value comes of this is if Cameron is heavily involved. Bringing back Arnold is a fucking mistake. Letting anyone involved with the piece of shit TV series be involved in this is a mistake.

Just let the fucking series die.

snap

Banned
Is this the third or fourth planned Terminator trilogy?

And almost Sigourney for that Blomkamp Alien movie.

1st: T, T2, T3
2nd: Salvation + 2 other war with machines movies (canned)
3rd: Genisys + 2 other movies starring Arnie (canned?)

So fourth I guess?

The rights to the franchise were going to revert back to Cameron in 2019 either way, right? Probably gave him some leverage with whatever this is going to be.

C4Lukins

That would be cool, but unless Cameron or Bigelow is directing this thing, not sure if interested. I do realize that Bigelow directing Hamilton would be super awkward.

Prompto

Banned
"We’re starting a search for an 18-something woman to be the new centerpiece of the new story," Cameron said. "We still fold time. We will have characters from the future and the present. There will be mostly new characters but we'll have Arnold and Linda’s characters to anchor it."

So I guess Arnold is coming back as well. Was that known?

Chojin

Scullibundo. Let me know if you're okay.

Scullibundo?

Scullibundo!?

Sculliiibundooooo!!!!!

You know. I always wondered what people like him do now? Like how does he make money?

Didn't he make a video of himself eating a pizza for money recently?

Also he was in that shitty Night of the Demons remake.

CDX

Cautiously optimistic. The Terminator movies without Cameron's involvement were crap IMO.

So Cameron is not directing these new Terminator movies. But how involved is Cameron personally in the writing process for these new movies?

Are all the movies after Terminator 2 going to be ignored? ...or which movies exactly are going to be cannon now?

Top Bottom