• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer reviews Too Human. Evilore 1, Dyack 0. Who cares?! We want the BATMAN!

drakesfortune said:
Uncharted's story was at least better than the latest Indiana Jones flick, and I mean that VERY sincerely. I felt like I was part of a movie for a big chunk of that game. I also dig the Half Life storyline, though it's simple, it still feels good and appropriate.
But would you really consider Uncharted or Half Life "loot games"?

drakesfortune said:
Uncharted's story was at least better than the latest Indiana Jones flick, and I mean that VERY sincerely. I felt like I was part of a movie for a big chunk of that game. I also dig the Half Life storyline, though it's simple, it still feels good and appropriate.

I'm not saying there aren't games with better or worse storylines especially in other genres. I'm saying in Loot games, (Diablo, Sacred, Fate, Dungeon Siege, etc) the stories at best are simply there to provide a bare excuse for doing the quests. It's nice I suppose that they put them in, but the story is generally pretty throwaway. Although it's a dumb decision to remove them from co-op. If they wanted to provide a menu option to do so that's fine but just removing them especially on what could be a first play-through is a bad decision even if the story isn't the driving force behind these sorts of games.

ringlord

ypo said:
Dyack claimed his game will be better than most games this year. So technically is 6.5 better than most games? :lol

6.5? Why don't you just keep on rounding down and say 6?

Oh, and I almost forgot: :lol

jaypah

tabsina said:
just came back from seeing dark knight again...

please tell me some info has come out on the batman game since i left...

please

Where is he...

Where?

http://talkingaboutgames.com/content/view/1888/1/

Huh. Looks like my hopes have been realized. Thanks to Kotaku and their "source", who decided to spill after Game Informer broke the news, Batman: Arkham Asylum is indeed in development by Pandemic, though oddly, EA has not been confirmed as publisher. As I has suspected, the game is a third-person, open-world action romp and it's set in a GTA-style rendition of Gotham City, which plays a lot like Spiderman 2 as Batman zips around (he even gets a grappling hook for swingy-swingy when not using the Batmobile) attending to crimes.

Interestingly, this may very well be the game that was, um, "referred to" in the above video. Apparently, Arkham Asylum is not based on the comics, but on Christopher Nolan's Batman universe, only the game takes place after The Dark Knight ends. Hmm. To be fair, it was never actually stated that the game Mr. Gary Oldman had seen was a direct movie-to-game translation, like so many others. This could work.

it's not official or anything but it's what came up with a quick search. sorry if it's old news.

Gino

Anybody Know if this game is going to have split screen co-op? The friend I would play with doesn't have a 360.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
So how long before Dyack blames GAF for ruining his game for reviewers?

Quit rationalizing and take responsibility big D, take it like a man.

PSGames said:
Anyone that truly feels this way needs to seek professional help.

The developer of this game came on this forum and tried to shit all over everyone. As far as I'm concerned, he fully, without question, deserves this.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
*shrugs*

I've already got it preordered. DD's utterly ridiculous antics and tirades aside, I'm hoping to enjoy it. Eternal Darkness was incredibly flawed, and still managed to be a compelling and satisfying game. I'm hoping TH will duplicate that feat... perhaps with less flaws.

I should probably download the demo one of these days. Ah fuck it, the game's almost here anyway.

Azih

solid2snake said:
well, after this thread Dyack will shut down GAF and we will go to prison. it was nice with you guys.
But society will be saved from the evil corrosive effect of 'the GAF'.

JudgeN

Mejilan said:
*shrugs*

I've already got it preordered. DD's utterly ridiculous antics and tirades aside, I'm hoping to enjoy it. Eternal Darkness was incredibly flawed, and still managed to be a compelling and satisfying game. I'm hoping TH will duplicate that feat... perhaps with less flaws.

I should probably download the demo one of these days. Ah fuck it, the game's almost here anyway.

You are going to be so mad at yourself later, you better download the demo :lol

Mejilan

JudgeN said:

I doubt it. At worst, I expect "mild indifference." I'm hoping for "pleasantly surprised," however.

JudgeN said:

I guess you missed the demo thread. A turn at playing the game without the class constraints from the start would probably be a better experience anyway.

RiskyChris said:
The developer of this game came on this forum and tried to shit all over everyone. As far as I'm concerned, he fully, without question, deserves this.

How did he shit all over everyone? From what I remember he came to this forum when it shat all over his game.

Huggy

Anyone who wants the topic starter to reveal the Batman exclusive bulletpoints write down FOR. If you want to keep discussing the 6.75 write down AGAINST.

FOR.

Won

Stoney Mason said:
I'm not saying there aren't games with better or worse storylines especially in other genres. I'm saying in Loot games, (Diablo, Sacred, Fate, Dungeon Siege, etc) the stories at best are simply there to provide a bare excuse for doing the quests. It's nice I suppose that they put them in, but the story is generally pretty throwaway. Although it's a dumb decision to remove them from co-op. If they wanted to provide a menu option to do so that's fine but just removing them especially on what could be a first play-through is a bad decision even if the story isn't the driving force behind these sorts of games.

You are right, but the difference here is obviously Dyack. He says it is the best story they have done and judging by the demo he really puts you through all kinds of cutscenes every few minutes.
If your story is not important or good, you don't put extra emphasis on it.
The story in this game is not supposed to be a "thin excuse" and I'm still not sure how Dyack thought it was a good idea to focus on story in an Hack'N'Slay (or whatever you want to call it) game.

But I somehow can't believe that the story in this game is bad.

JudgeN

BenjaminBirdie said:
I guess you missed the demo thread. A turn at playing the game without the class constraints from the start would probably be a better experience anyway.

O no I saw the demo thread and I downloaded the demo. A different class wasn't going to help too human it was just awkward to play for me. But did the review mention if they fixed the slow down in the menu?

Too Human's problem was Dyack. Plain and simple. If he had just shut his mouth most of the time, the game would have had a bit less bad press. He sounds like a guy who tries too much and couldn't get down to the basics game design. The game's a mess. Let's be done with it.

Is the game below average for this type of game? Or are the complaints common for this genre?

If they are common then this game is average as best, and coming from a developer who claimed this game would be one of the best this year then that's bad.

If this game is poorer then others in this genre, people shouldn't buy it plain and simple.

Won said:
You are right, but the difference here is obviously Dyack. He says it is the best story they have done and judging by the demo he really puts you through all kinds of cutscenes every few minutes.
If your story is not important or good, you don't put extra emphasis on it.
The story in this game is not supposed to be a "thin excuse" and I'm still not sure how Dyack thought it was a good idea to focus on story in an Hack'N'Slay (or whatever you want to call it) game.

But I somehow can't believe that the story in this game is bad.

I don't care about Dyack and whether he said it was the best story or worst story. That part is pretty immaterial to me as I just file that under developer talking positively about his game which happens with pretty much every game. Too many people imo are caught up in things like the 10 yr dev cycle or the fact that a developer is an ass or not which is also pretty immaterial. (Not saying some people aren't objectively playing the game and finding it subpar)

I'll concede putting extra focus on it can be annoying if there is a lot of it. Metal Gear Solid 2 always annoyed me because it's a dumb story that forces you to experience a lot of it. I doubt by comparison Too Human will have as much story as something like that so I'm assuming the story as usual will be pretty much a non-factor for me.

Eternal Darkness had better walking animation than this. On Too Human, everyone's doing the fucking moonwalk, and all the stairs in the game are simply painted on ramps from the looks of how the characters walk up them, like their fron foot is touching the ramp but their back foot is gliding. I don't know how Denis can defend the animation in this game other than to say "bu bu bu but UE3 waaaaaaah"

Guys it's Game Informer. Who expected those simpletons to be able to enjoy the complexities of a true Dyackian masterpiece? The story is going to be magnificent.

Gino

xS1TH L0RDx said:
co-op is over xbox live only.
Unfortunately that's the deference between a buy and a rent for me. I know most people don't care about it but I like to have friends come to my house instead of sitting alone at home and playing online.

witness

If I had a 360 and wasn't a WoW player I would get this. Too bad for the review, I was hoping for better, maybe when other reviews come out we'll see if the scores vary widely (like Assassins Creed).

Tobor

Anyone interested in the game should stop posting and just wait for the official thread.

Only inside it's impenetrable gates, shall we find sanctuary.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Stoney Mason said:

:lol Reading FTW! Sorry, my bad. :D I missed the loot game part.

Gino said:
Unfortunately that's the deference between a buy and a rent for me. I know most people don't care about it but I like to have friends come to my house instead of sitting alone at home and playing online.

That's a legit reason not to buy. Not having local co-op for a game of this type on a console seems odd (especially because of games like Baldur's Gate, and the Xmen style beatem ups) even though I'm the type who would almost certainly play it online versus co-op. Perhaps Sacred 2 will have local co-op although I'm not really familiar with that game at this stage.

I'm still on the fence myself on whether to pick up Too Human (at full price. If I don't pick it up at launch I'll probably pick it up down the road at a budget price) or not personally but for different reasons. I want to see some more reviews from better sources.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
whatever you do, dyack, do not respond to any of this. it will only make it worse.

xemumanic

The Bookerman said:
The game's a mess. Let's be done with it.

That's the problem in the end. GAF had decided this to be the case LONG ago, even before he came here and made things worse. Everything else he's done since has been trying to downplay the results of that. And its far too late for that, has been for well over a year. And that's truly a shame.

Dyack feels that his game isn't getting a fair shot. And everything he's said and done since has been a result of that. Most of GAF is doing everything they can to defame him and his game. GAFfers took it personal. You can hear it in their rhetoric.

_most_ of this is Dyack's own fault. He shouldn't have flipped his wig in the first place, responding to all the bullshit that's said by people who foolishly decided what they thought about a game that wouldn't have been released for another year and a half, if not more. Things would have never went this far.

This is also party GAF's fault as well. We are wrong for the same reason he is. Both Dyack and GAF jumped to conclusions, and a line was drawn in the sand. Both sides have been throwing turds at each other ever since.

Stoney Mason said:
That's a legit reason not to buy. Not having local co-op for a game of this type on a console seems odd (especially because of games like Baldur's Gate, and the Xmen style beatem ups) even though I'm the type who would almost certainly play it online versus co-op. Perhaps Sacred 2 will have local co-op although I'm not really familiar with that game at this stage.

I think sacred 2 does have local co-op, which may make me buy it over too human. I also prefer the setting of sacred 2. On the other hand, TH is out soon whereas Sacred 2 isn't

The Innocent X said:
I think sacred 2 does have local co-op, which may make me buy it over too human. I also prefer the setting of sacred 2. On the other hand, TH is out soon whereas Sacred 2 isn't

I'm also sort of in that camp. If Sacred 2 is anything like the original I know I will like it so that kind makes me want to hold off on Too Human until I can get it on the cheap unfortunately. We'll see though.

I hope the next 3 reviews are extremely positive. Not just because I think it's horrible to want a game to blow, but also because this thread would be full of people who would have to surgically remove a foot from their mouths. :lol

Still after the 1UP show and that lame "for or against" thread, it becomes very hard to not say "Denis had this shit coming to him"

Tobor said:
Anyone interested in the game should stop posting and just wait for the official thread.

Only inside it's impenetrable gates, shall we find sanctuary.

yeah...where is that official thread anyway? i remember someone saying that they were going to work on it over the weekend and then post it in the beginning of the week.

i can't believe i'm looking forward to a thread on a message board. *hangs head in shame*

Mejilan

I'm looking forward to the official thread if only for the bish-bannings that are sure to ensue.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
5461j5.gif

Won

Stoney Mason said:
I don't care about Dyack and whether he said it was the best story or worst story. That part is pretty immaterial to me as I just file that under developer talking positively about his game which happens with pretty much every game. Too many people imo are caught up in things like the 10 yr dev cycle or the fact that a developer is an ass or not which is also pretty immaterial. (Not saying some people aren't objectively playing the game and finding it subpar)

I'll concede putting extra focus on it can be annoying if there is a lot of it. Metal Gear Solid 2 always annoyed me because it's a dumb story that forces you to experience a lot of it. I doubt by comparison Too Human will have as much story as something like that so I'm assuming the story as usual will be pretty much a non-factor for me.

I just mentioned him, because he seems to be an ambitious guy regarding story telling in games. And it shows.

I actual would love to know, if you can turn of the story in SP. As far as I remember from the demo the interactive stuff is not skipable. And it got pretty annoying pretty fast on my second playthrough of the demo. Considering that someone mentioned something like 6 playthough till you get to the good loot.....doesn't sound like a good concept for such a game.

Stoney Mason said:
I'm also sort of in that camp. If Sacred 2 is anything like the original I know I will like it so that kind makes me want to hold off on Too Human until I can get it on the cheap unfortunately. We'll see though.

Is sacred 2 really out november 7th? I can't see me having much spare cash in november.

Top Bottom