• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 Official Thread

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
WilyRook said:
Dragon Sword arrives tomorrow for me. Only 13 bucks through Amazon.

I suck at that game , damn you stylus :(

I demand Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword Σ
for PSP and playing with buttons only
, do it Hayashi sama.

Alright, gonna start Mentor up in a minute but these are some of the changes I noticed on warrior, that I can remember anyway:

(Does anyone really care if I spoiler this? Might as well to be on the safe side)
Chapter 1. Giant Buddha, obviously. Not a horrible boss, but not good either. The little yard outside the house (just past the bridge) has infinite essence for UT spam while you fight. Don't need to get a key from a chest in order to unlock the elevator door, it just opens automatically. After you kill the Rasetsu the Giant Buddha comes back for revenge.

Chapter 2. Dogs are pushovers now. Nerfed flying swallow, I don't think the gray ones even threw any IS at me, and they have lower health. No more IS for Ryu. Additional bow fight right before the Rasetsu mid-boss.

Chapter 3. Vigoorian Flails are now inside of a chest at the start of the chapter. It felt like this chapter was missing a ton of enemies, but I haven't played Warrior on NG2 in a long time so I'm not sure. I tried to UT Gigadeath with the Lunar and it did no damage; could be because I didn't hit him in his head, but he may be invincible to regular attacks now, dunno. His ghost fish are pretty easy to dodge now, if you can't kill them in time.

Chapter 4. Enma's Fang replaces the giant Xbox logo that refills your health. Alexei doesn't go into berzerk mode any more (not sure if he ever did on Warrior), and he seems to spam his jump->ground pound like there's no tomorrow. Statue of Liberty fight after you kill Alexei; it sucks. It's basically Giant Buddha with lightning AoE when she smacks the ground, giant lightning balls coming out of the sky and shooting the bow at her neck.

Chapter 5. No Kusari-Gama on this level any more. You get something else instead, I can't remember what. The Spear Gun isn't in the game anymore either. You get the Howling Cannon on this level I believe, and it's essentially just a replacement for the bow UT for bosses. Werewolves no longer throw body parts as far as I can tell. The ghost fish colosseum is changed a bit. They removed the graphic that has a bunch of fake ghost fish flying around in the background. No ghost fish spawn until you stand on the platform that you fight the water dragon on. After you're done killing off the ghost fish, you fight the water dragon (don't need to pick up a key any more). The area you fight the water dragon on is a bit larger, giving you more room to dodge his attacks. He doesn't dive into the water and jump out any more and once in a while he'll send a bunch of ghost fish to attack you. Other than that he's pretty much the same.

Chapter 6. Bone Boss is pretty much unchanged as far as I can tell. You just fight him alone, you don't have to deal with a bunch of his skeleton minions, but again I can't remember if that was in Warrior in NG2. Seems like Volf blocks flying swallow more often now, but I didn't really try it too many times.

Chapter 7. Mostly unchanged IIRC. Since you no longer have IS, you have to actually fight the flaming armadillo now, which is still terrible.

Chapter 8. Rocket Ninjas remain, but they seem to fire less often. For some reason they spawn two dino-mechs right before the turrets outside of the gate, which is annoying. Can't remember if that was there in Warrior on the original.

Chapter 9. No more jellyfish. There were a few changes to the level design here. The firing range is still there, but they changed some of the structures a bit. I have no idea why. You don't fight the robots any more after clearing out the rocket ninjas, you just go along the path to get behind the gate and swim into the next area. Red fish are still there, but you can kill them in two shots with the hand cannon while standing on land, so they're not any trouble. After you kill that giant wave of beetles, you just drop into the next area where the save point is - the entire tunnel section was cut. New dragon boss is absolutely awful.

Chapter 10. Mostly unchanged? Still gotta fight a bunch of enemies on the staircase, but they come in smaller groups.

Chapter 11. Biggest change here is you fight the Tengu Brothers (or whatever they are) a couple times. Once in front of a few houses and again towards the end, when you're running across the giant field heading towards the Genshin fight. No more windmill shuriken.

Chapter 12. Double Armadillo fight replaced with Marbus. He's a lot more fun when you have a decent character to fight him with. Zedonius still summons a few Red Gajas every 25%, so he's still incredibly annoying. Volf doesn't spawn until you clear out all the horsemen. I didn't fight any red dragons throughout the game either, so I'll assume they're saving them for higher difficulties.

Chapter 13. The little sacks that contain enemies are still there, but most of them are empty. Only one of them has a Rasetsu (a red one for once) and it's the final one. There's no mini-dragons you have to kill any more either, you can just move on to Alexei after you clear that area.

Chapter 14. There's a bridge now in the area that has all the red eels, so you can just stand at the edge and kill them all quickly with the Howling Cannon. After you kill Genshin/Elizebet and take the portal, you're moved to a giant red room (similar to the previous areas) where you have to kill a bunch of ninjas before you move on. There are a few new ninja types in here and they seem to have a couple new moves, but I wasn't really paying attention because the Tonfa ET/UT still rapes any human with ease. That area seems to replace the tunnel that had all the Van Gelfs leading up to Dagra Dai. On that note, Dagra Dai is still awful and he still summons Van Gelfs every once in a while. His attacks were easier to dodge however. Archfiend Stage 1 is pretty much the same. Archfiend Stage 2 was a little easier. When he lands on the ground and starts walking around, it doesn't hurt you any more so you can go ahead and get some free damage on him. edit: actually, maybe he does still hurt you when he walks on the land, but he never hit me so I can't say for sure.

There's a chapter for Ayana/Momiji/Rachel but I can't remember exactly where they were. Momiji's chapter was decent and so is the character I think. Her boss is the Tengu Brothers, and they're a pretty decent boss fight. Rachel's level is AWFUL and so is the character, and the boss for her stage is (Marbus) awful when playing as Rachel. Ayane's stage was decent, I suppose. The boss of her stage is piss easy. Still not a fan of Ayane, but I'd play her 500 times over playing Rachel once.

Also, I'm pretty sure all of the "puzzles" were removed. Meaning, you no longer have to walk 10 steps and get a key to open the next area.

Other than that, there's a ton of small changes throughout the game. Some weapon locations were moved around, you get all 4 ninpo earlier than in NG2, lots of spawns are different, etc. At some point the purple fiends from NG1 appear, and they're used fairly regularly until the end of the game. And like pretty much everyone has said, there seems to be fewer enemies and fewer encounters in general.

I'm probably forgetting some stuff, but that covers most of it I think. Now to start up Mentor.

Oh, and the only way to upgrade all of your weapons fully during one playthrough is if you never upgrade the Dragon Sword or Dual Katanas, as far as I can tell. So incredibly retarded.

[/walloftext]

Well, I caved and grabbed it. I already have NG2 but I'm one of those freaks that preferred Sigma over the original NG (Black included) so I knew I couldn't resist for long. Turns out half a day was apparently my limit. :lol

Why is this game so dark? I've spent half of the game so far not being able to see where I'm fucking going. A couple times I was actually just pressing up and hoping I was going the right way.

lupinko

rainking187 said:
Why is this game so dark? I've spent half of the game so far not being able to see where I'm fucking going. A couple times I was actually just pressing up and hoping I was going the right way.

Play around with your tv settings? Game isn't dark for me, it's pretty colourful and bright for the most part.

MCD

rainking187 said:
set hdmi full rgb settings to limited if you are using hdmi that is.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I played the demo and actually quite enjoyed it. I'm tempted to get the game, but I need to know if it's as insanely difficult as the NG games are said to be?

Noogy

I've barely scratched the 360 version of the game, but started up the PS3 demo just to try it out. Ugh, what a blurry, screen-tearing mess. I know the 360 has some horribly choppy spots, but that very first area in the demo was an eyesore.

SonOfABeep said:
Is the projectile spam improved?

That was my one problem with the 360 version.

There's a lot less of it in general. On my warrior playthrough, Incendiary Shuriken ninjas were extremely rare. There's been a good amount of rocket ninjas in Mentor so far (up to Gigadeath) but still far less than NG2. That being said, the enemy count in general is far less than NG2 so I guess it's to be expected.

NIGHT- said:
So whats the verdict on this. If I own NG2 on 360 is there any need to buy this one?

If you're interested in online co-op, a couple shitty extra characters, rebalancing and overall far easier difficulty, sure.

Combichristoffersen said:
I played the demo and actually quite enjoyed it. I'm tempted to get the game, but I need to know if it's as insanely difficult as the NG games are said to be?

From what the peoples are reporting it seems that this might be the easiest NG game. Which is fine with me, seeing as NGS1 gave me fits at the end.

Can someone tell me what the purpose of the Tengu is in the game? They're not Fiends, but yet they seem to be sided with them. Does the game explain anything regarding this?

Llyranor

iconoclast said:
If you're interested in online co-op
This is my main interest in the game, but there haven't been many impressions on it, and the few around here seem to point at lag :( I just hope that's bad luck for those few and not a general representation of the netcode.

Loudninja

Noogy said:
I've barely scratched the 360 version of the game, but started up the PS3 demo just to try it out. Ugh, what a blurry, screen-tearing mess. I know the 360 has some horribly choppy spots, but that very first area in the demo was an eyesore.

What? the demo is not blurry at all.

LordK

Llyranor said:
This is my main interest in the game, but there haven't been many impressions on it, and the few around here seem to point at lag :( I just hope that's bad luck for those few and not a general representation of the netcode.

So far I've only played on "Good" connections. I think it breaks connections down to three classes:

Optimal
Good
Shitty (I don't remember what the term they used, maybe "Bad")

Good is laggy as shit. I tried to join a couple optimal games just now but they were in the middle of playing and I didn't want to wait. I'm not expecting much from optimal though.

Pimpbaa

Noogy said:

You sure you weren't confused about which version you were playing? The original NG2 is the blurry eyesore.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
rainking187 said:

ingame video setting in options has brightness and contrast controls.

use them.

fernoca

So..a few things I've noticed:
-Definitely prettier than the original version
-Preorder costume is quite nice-looking.
-Chapter 2 is during daytime. In the original version it was during nighttime.
-Ninja dogs appear earlier in this version, still a bitch. :p
-Unlike what I thought...weapon upgrade did changed, now it's free, but you can only do one weapon at a time and per chapter. Though I don't mind since I only use the Dragon Sword..

Oh..and...
Beat Chapter 2 but got no trophy..is that normal..?? I think the '360 version' had something like that were you got achievements for some chapters, but not each one.

ultim8p00 said:
After seeing this guy play, I now understand why some people think NGS2 is hard. Yeesh that was painful to watch.
I'm sorry we're all no professional NGS2 experts...it's hard but I'm enjoying playing it and thats the main thing, right?
Sorry it's not up to your usual high standard.

Nos_G

I beat sigma2 today on acolyte, but it only gave me a few of the chapter complete trophies. I also did the izuna drop twice, but it never gave me that one as well.

Anyone else not get all of the chapter complete trophies? I got the completed the path of the acolyte trophy, is this just a bug or was it because I played on acolyte?

EDIT:
iconoclast said:
Yeah that's normal. In Sigma 2 you'll only get trophies for chapters 1, 4, 7, 10, 13 and one for beating the game.

Oh, that's odd. Good to know.

fernoca said:
Oh..and...
Beat Chapter 2 but got no trophy..is that normal..?? I think the '360 version' had something like that were you got achievements for some chapters, but not each one.

Yeah that's normal. In Sigma 2 you'll only get trophies for chapters 1, 4, 7, 10, 13 and one for beating the game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fernoca said:
Oh..and...
Yes this is normal.

LordK

Nos_G said:
I beat sigma2 today on acolyte, but it only gave me a few of the chapter complete trophies. I also did the izuna drop twice, but it never gave me that one as well.

You need to read the scroll (from a ninja's corpse) that "teaches you the izuna drop" technique before you get a trophy for it. That goes for all the other skill trophies too.

Nos_G

copybeaver said:
You need to read the scroll (from a ninja's corpse) that "teaches you the izuna drop" technique before you get a trophy for it. That goes for all the other skill trophies too.

Ah I see, I may have done the izuna drops before I read that scroll. Never tried to do them again after that.

Well - I'm very glad that I decided not to wait on this one. This is by far the superior version if you ask me. I'm enjoying it much more so far than my experience with the original (which I'll hang onto if I need my gore fix :lol ).

Phenomenal action title and much more than a simple remix.

fernoca said:
Oh..and...
The 360 version you get an achievement for every chapter, though many chapters end with a boss fight so instead of saying you completed the chapter, it will say something like "Defeated Zedonius" or the like.

So can anyone tell me what role the Tengu have in it, if the game explains this?

Noogy said:

I hate tearing.

I have the demo and the tearing in that is infrequent. I'm playing on a slim at 720p.

Slurmer

Banned
I'm at chapter 4 now and I am so glad they toned down the wolf enemies; they pissed me off to no end in NG2. They're fucking dogs...they just shouldn't have been kicking my ass like that.

I kinda liked how I'm cruising along the Ryu levels just fine. Get to Momiji level and it's nice for a change of pace to play as another character with an almost entirely different moveset. Her stage is fun.

Then spent what seemed like an eternity trying to beat the boss(es) at the end. I'm not slouch with NG, but jesus that's been the most difficult thing so far and I'm on chapter 7 now.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Liking the new costume. Was this costume in the 360 version?

2qbbnu1.jpg

fernoca

Which reminds me that...unlike the 360 version, you can get to see the costume before choosing, on the 360 you had to guess based on the color of the ..icons which costume you were choosing. :p

Strider2K99 said:
Nope.

That reminds me, for those who beat it, what costumes do you unlock? Any new and old ones?

Fiend Ryu
for beating Warrior. Probably going to have to beat Acolyte separately to see if it unlocks anything. No additional color(s) either, which is incredibly lame.

It unlocks costumes for Ayane, Rachel and Momiji as well. Let me go see, I haven't even checked them myself yet.

I've got
3 different hair styles for Rachel, the NG1 outfit for Ayane and a white ninja costume for Momiji.
I'm pretty sure they've shown pics of both Ayane's and Momiji's alt costumes.

kuYuri

Oh yeah, I remember Ryu has the Dynasty Warriors costume and his NES classic blue costume. It's too bad though that Sigma 2 didn't get the paid costumes from the 360 version. No way I'm paying 200 points for those. :/

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Darkmakaimura said:
The 360 version you get an achievement for every chapter, though many chapters end with a boss fight so instead of saying you completed the chapter, it will say something like "Defeated Zedonius" or the like.

So can anyone tell me what role the Tengu have in it, if the game explains this?

Actually, there were one or two chapters in NG 2 that didn't yield Achievements at all for beating them. They seemed sort of arbitrary since you got one for all the other chapters.

Pachinko

People are already finishing this ? christ , it's been out for a day!

I mean, shouldn't a 15 hour game take 3 or 4 days to finish off ? or am I alone in requiring time to socialize/eat/sleep and work ?

Pachinko said:
People are already finishing this ? christ , it's been out for a day!

I mean, shouldn't a 15 hour game take 3 or 4 days to finish off ? or am I alone in requiring time to socialize/eat/sleep and work ?

Dude, some people are polishing their third playthroughs.

Top Bottom