• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

West of Loathing- Stick figure RPG about punching cows in the old west

4Dmzhu7.jpg

For the life of me I can't find a thread about this game no matter how many times I search so I figured I might as well make a thread. But close if there is one.

West of Loathing launch trailer

Metacritic score of 87 so far from major publications that have reviewed it. But overwhelmingly positive reviews from Steam users.

I just beat this game on PC. and I feel I need to get the word out to those who might not even know it exists. It's an 8-10 hour single player campaign RPG with massive replayability. The best example I can give is that it's aching to South Park: Stick of Truth in its way it blends turn based RPG mechanics with a silly premise where you wouldn't expect it otherwise.

The basic plot of the story is: You are the child (son or daughter) of a family that decides to head to the West. But this isn't just a regular Western setting. This one has demonic cows, skeletons, necromancers (who practice their art of Nex Mex), clowns and ghosts. You will be one of three classes. Cow Puncher, aka the melee class. Bean slinger, aka the magician. Or snake oil vendor, which I can only assume has to be something like a melee/alchemist.

The game's biggest draw is its humor. Which is where most of Steam's overwhelmingly positive reviews so far seem to largely aim for. Think of it as a Monkey Island-esque type of humor. Every conversation is a joy to read, every interaction with anything tends to have a smile on your face, and when you get to a certain ghost town filled with small government agency bureaucratic bullshit of paperwork you will learn what pain is in a comedic way.

The gameplay mechanics are simple enough. You have your turn based combat with its basic premise, but with unique items to it like how using items and certain skills won't take up your turn, being able to summon a third party member, and using cover to protect yourself from ranged attacks. Then there is the main stat system that are both what determine how useful you are in that particular aspect (strength, magic, cunning) and your skill checks for conversations and exploration.

The majority of your time in the game will be exploration and side quests, as this is the meat of the game since the main plot is close to non-existent. But that is ok, because that is the best aspect of the title.

I just beat the game and I urge you to try it if you were looking for a relatively quick experience prior to something else you're waiting on, or if you need a quick break from another game you are playing. Heck, I played the game at the recommendation from a friend over how quirky and funny it was, and I had no intentions of playing more than maybe 1 or 2 hour tops.... 8 hours later I beat the game and it was midnight. And today, I fully intend to start a second playthrough as the other class I am interested on.

For 11 bucks you can't go wrong, the length and fun of the experience for that price is an absolute steal. If others have already played it please chime in with your experience, I did not expect this to be as good as it was.

Anno

I'm glad that the game is doing really well for Asymmetric. I won't get around to playing it for awhile but I love all the screenshots and gifs I've seen around Twitter.

epmode

I bought this. It's kind of amazing. I love the bit with the guys learning to play poker.

It's so rare to get genuinely funny games.

Rockk

Like what everyone else is saying I played Kingdom of Loathing for years and got quite good at it but like most MMO-type games the time commitment ended up being too much for me. I will definitely check this out. Not only were the gags great in KoL but the mechanics were top notch. A less committal spin off is what I always wanted!

Thraktor

This game is excellent and everyone should play it.

Like, right now.

Seriously, go buy it on Steam and start playing.

Why are you still reading this? Play it!

This game is excellent and everyone should play it.

Like, right now.

Seriously, go buy it on Steam and start playing.

Why are you still reading this? Play it!

particularly because folks normally spend 11 bucks on something much quicker and less satisfying than this.

In which other game will you fight demonic cows? I mean besides South Park.

Cody_D165

Banned
Holy shit, I remember KoL. My buddies and I would constantly be on it during classes in school.

I'm definitely gonna need to check this out.

Okay, I played KoL for a while until I got frustrated at the ridiculous Holy MacGuffin quest. Is there anything like that in this game?

I haven't played it, but if it's a complicated puzzle or a monotonous activity quest, then there is at least 1 of each of those in the game that are annoying. The puzzles normally I found 1 or 2 I had to google how to solve it, but when you see the solution you slap yourself for not realizing it if you had just put a bit more effort.

The monotonous quests in-game are entirely skippable and one of them is so annoying even the character starts to get extremely agitated, so at least there is comedic value.

If it's neither of those of those things and you want to specify what entailed, I might be able to help you I'm on my second playthrough.

Crimbo

I've played KoL for nearly 13 years and bought this on release. Probably won't get a chance to play if for a while thanks to school. But if it's anything like KoL it'll be full of great humor and lovingly crafted by some swell guys.

Played this for an hour and it's really great so far. Wonderfully quirky and well written sense of humor, a surprising amount of stats and items slots to handle, and the stick figure aesthetic is charming and has some pretty cool little details like the shadows when you're using a lantern

Just made it to Dirtwater, decided to take the Doc as my companion

Played this for an hour and it's really great so far. Wonderfully quirky and well written sense of humor, a surprising amount of stats and items slots to handle, and the stick figure aesthetic is charming and has some pretty cool little details like the shadows when you're using a lantern

Just made it to Dirtwater, decided to take the Doc as my companion
Doc was my choice in second playthrough. Which class did you choose?

Obi

Neo Member
This game was great! I couldn't put it down till like 3AM. Most of the comedy was spot on with my sense of humor. (The "form" section was a bit much). I wonder how long it took them to develop, cause I'd love to play more of this style of game. Maybe something Sci-fi?

Also, I appreciated that it supports touch screen on a windows tablet. It murdered my battery life though for some reason.

Top Bottom