• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires Definitive Edition exclusively in the Windows Store

Nevasleep

We’ve chosen to release “Age of Empires: Definitive Edition” exclusively in the Windows Store and we’re excited about what that entails, including tons of Xbox Live goodness (achievements, cloud saves, multiplayer on the fastest, more reliable gaming network and more).
AOE forums

The game looks great, the price is right, but anyone else tempted not to buy it because of this?
Having to sign in with two or three accounts, couple moaning dialog boxes, learn how Xbox Live multiplayer is SO different and powerful compared to normal multiplayer that Steam can't handle(?), all for Microsoft to get rid of the service in a couple years.

But it still looks so good - 14 Minutes of Age of Empires Definitive Edition PC Gameplay August

It'll come to Steam at some point. Microsoft knows there is a huge AOE audience there.

No point in getting it on the windows store if the population is dead.

Protome

Shame. I've bought a couple of things on the Windows Store before but it's such a terrible mess I'd rather avoid doing so again. Will probably just skip this one.

I will still buy it but I have a feeling they will release it on Steam on a later date but of course they can't talk about it just yet, the Age of Empires II HD Edition population numbers are pretty huge to ignore that install base, do we know how Age of Mythology Extended Edition sold on Steam?

Tiu Neo

Well, then it's not for me. I really wanted this, but my (few) experiences with Windows Store were so bad that I'm not willing to give it another chance so soon.

haven't followed the windows store scene much. i assume nobody uses it

might be a death sentence for the multiplayer. a RTS needs lots players so that people can play without high latency and without too much skill imbalance

sant

How does Microsoft manage to fuck up everything PC related? Most of their games are unoptimized and the Windows Store simply does not work for most people.

IT IS YOUR OS MICROSOFT

Mrbob

That's how I look at it too. No one is going to play this online so why bother picking this up. Not like this one has the campaign of two so I wouldn't be buying this to play the campaign.

You can't even mod windows store games right? So for me this is basically useless. Half the fun of AoE was finding janky mods to mess the game up.

Anno

I don't play AoE anymore but I just can't imagine buying this on something as bad as the Windows Store when the superior sequel is super well supported on Steam. Especially when there's already precedent of them eventually bringing over their games.

Wedzi

Banned
I'm still confused why they don't turn the Xbox app on Windows 10 into some kind of steam alternative.

I know they say this isn't coming to Xbox, but I still kinda hope they make it work. Proper kb+m support is coming so maybe? Also it's odd how this was under an Xbox label at both GamesCom and Games Week Milan.

prudislav

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition" ... Xbox Live goodness ... the fastest, more reliable gaming network
welp ok
ob1.gif

Jonnax

Xbox Live goodness (achievements, cloud saves, multiplayer on the fastest, more reliable gaming network and more).

Said nobody on PC ever. =|

They're also doing a re-release of AOE2. They better not have exclusive content locked out for the steam users.

But hey, it's Microsoft.

Lingitiz

It must be so disheartening to work on this knowing the playerbase will be insanely small due to the Windows Store.

Not interested in buying anything from Windows Store. No shortage of games to play, so I'll wait.

With that being said, day one purchase on steam.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It will probably be a small download so I wouldn't expect many problems with the windows store. Large games like forza and gears seem to be the ones having the issue, something related to pausing the download.

Ithil

This is exactly the same nonsense that ultimately killed Age of Empires Online, locking it off in their little brand instead of just putting it on Steam like everyone else.

AOE forums

The game looks great, the price is right, but anyone else tempted not to buy it because of this?
Having to sign in with two or three accounts, couple moaning dialog boxes, learn how Xbox Live multiplayer is SO different and powerful compared to normal multiplayer that Steam can't handle(?), all for Microsoft to get rid of the service in a couple years.

But it still looks so good - 14 Minutes of Age of Empires Definitive Edition PC Gameplay August

Sign into 2 or 3 accounts? you are talking nonsense, when i go buy a game i click buy..and it downloads and i play. What 2 or 3 accounts are you talking about?
You are talking about MS as if its some small company like Valve is, and when i say small im talking profile, revenue, market cap, and in every way tiny compared to a MS, SO for windows app store to go, windows would have to also go... while they are nothing in mobile, when you take desktop/laptop into consideration, they still have a monopoly.
Steam is a walled garden, so is ios app store, MS app store, and anyone could argue against any app or game being exclusive to anyone of them. But you are exaggerating, and being a loud minority.

oti

Banned
I expect it to hit Steam once it tanks on Win10 Store like every game under the sun.

Part of me wants it to stay Win10 exclusive though, just to see how far Microsoft would go.

Nope. Not on anywhere else besides the broke-ass Windows Store, no sale.

If you think its broke then maybe you should learn how to use a computer, maybe its user error. Its so broke but i can download and play games.... its easier to complain about personal failures, generally people who are fine are in the silent minority.

_Legacy_

I can see why they've made that decision but Steam is the place to be for AoE fans. I'll buy when it eventually releases on Steam.

Arulan

The problems with the store itself and its closed-platform nonsense notwithstanding, I don't know how anyone can purchase software on a Microsoft platform expecting it to continue to exist in a handful of years.

I expect it to hit Steam once it tanks on Win10 Store like every game under the sun.

Part of me wants it to stay Win10 exclusive though, just to see how far Microsoft would go.

And you have sales data from Win 10 store? i didnt think so, are there any posts that are not full of assumptions based on personal opinions.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
If you think its broke then maybe you should learn how to use a computer, maybe its user error. Its so broke but i can download and play games.... its easier to complain about personal failures, generally people who are fine are in the silent minority.
A large number of people have had issues downloading games. Maybe they are a vocal minority but you don't hear many of the same complaints about other digital stores.

Maybe microsoft, the biggest software company in the world, could learn how to create a competent storefront on PC.

MUnited83

For you.
Great way to kill your online community and poison the sales of the eventual Steam release lol

Nope. It's broke because it's motherfucking broke.

And you have sales data from Win 10 store? i didnt think so, are there any posts that are not full of assumptions based on personal opinions.
*looks at sales of Rise of the Tomb Raider and Infinite Warfare on W10 store*
*Laughs*

Because MS isnt a small company like valve, sony, nintendo... They link the store to there OS which still has a monopoly on desktops/laptops.
Last i seen i am playing BC games i paid for in the last gen for free when they become available, and they are doing the same with original xbox... thats more of a indication of support then your lazy message that makes no sense at all.
Maybe you should look at how many installs windows 10 has, and you think its going away in a couple of years..

Ah, I see fanboys have erased GFWL from their minds entirely.

The problems with the store itself and its closed-platform nonsense notwithstanding, I don't know how anyone can purchase software on a Microsoft platform expecting it to continue to exist in a handful of years.

Because MS isnt a small company like valve, sony, nintendo... They link the store to there OS which still has a monopoly on desktops/laptops.
Last i seen i am playing BC games i paid for in the last gen for free when they become available, and they are doing the same with original xbox... thats more of a indication of support then your lazy message that makes no sense at all.
Maybe you should look at how many installs windows 10 has, and you think its going away in a couple of years..

frontovik

Banned
What's disappointing is the Windows 10 store exclusivity..

What's strange are calls for it come on Xbox...? I don't think that would work well.

MS really should bring it to STEAM.

Top Bottom