• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

f9f499547ed2c02d96402e2a0d9483d3.jpg

Mokujin!!

You should hit up NRS

Didn't feel like googling his name. It was either combot or edge mastger

Numb

Didn't feel like googling his name. It was either combot or edge mastger
Edge Master works too
Combat stole my boy's spot that one time. In F* him list since

----

Didn't get far at all in American Gods book
Didn't think there would be this many penises seeing the show

Slayven

Edge Master works too
Combat stole my boy's spot that one time. In F* him list since

----

Didn't get far at all in American Gods book
Didn't think there would be this many penises seeing the show

I started America Gods the book like 10 times, and never got far. Anasazi Boys had me chewing through it

LotusHD

Banned
As an aside, I'm curious what people in here think of her. I'm a pretty big fan and I think its encouraging to see that a new PoC character has had such a positive strong reaction - especially since there are so few original PoC in Nintendo games. However, I've seen some opinions that some are put off because so much of the fan reaction seems to be centered around "DAT ASS" and there is a pretty long history of how Women of Color are sexualized around their butts. A fair reaction or an overreaction? Is it a coincidence that Twintelle is the female character with the most "booty" or unconscious bias on the part of Nintendo's character designers? Does that matter? Should we care if we overall really like the design - especially the aspects of it tie into class and elegance?

Regarding the bolded, It's definitely a perspective that needs to be considered. On one hand, there are definitely women (PoC or not) with a body (or ass to be more specific) like Twintelle's. It's not some blatantly unrealistic thing. I do notice that some people (understandably considering how female characters are usually treated) have an aversion to any sort of "assets" for a female character, as if it couldn't exist. But nevertheless, I can't really fault a non-white woman looking at the design and potentially having issues with it.

I've been caping for her a bit because it's a noteworthy PoC character for Nintendo's new game for their new console, which is genuinely neat to see, and obvious "assets" aside, her design looks great.

I highly doubt that Nintendo is unaware of how the Internet reacts to a girl with an ass, but no clue on whether it's unconscious bias or not to give it to the PoC character. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Ultimately however, my opinion is that she's basically a good example of how to make an attractive character without it having some embarrassing aspect to it. Where said design is tasteful, rather than it being a weird hill to die on. Not to mention there's 3 other characters that look different from one another, so it feels like that makes it more okay to have that one character that's clearly supposed to be the "sexy" one. If it was some obvious trend or if she was the only female character, it'd be a lot easier to criticize on my part. I just feel like we're just kind of currently intertwined in how the Internet reacts to characters like her, but if we just briefly ignore that for a moment, I felt like it's safe to say what Nintendo created is perfectly fine. I felt like the refreshing addition of her having some actual muscle, as well as the whole class/elegance thing, also helps to not make her come off as a caricature of sorts.

Kreed

It's not something I've seen happen but I've heard other people say they've seen it happen :/

As an aside, I'm curious what people in here think of her. I'm a pretty big fan and I think its encouraging to see that a new PoC character has had such a positive strong reaction - especially since there are so few original PoC in Nintendo games. However, I've seen some opinions that some are put off because so much of the fan reaction seems to be centered around "DAT ASS" and there is a pretty long history of how Women of Color are sexualized around their butts. A fair reaction or an overreaction? Is it a coincidence that Twintelle is the female character with the most "booty" or unconscious bias on the part of Nintendo's character designers? Does that matter? Should we care if we overall really like the design - especially the aspects of it tie into class and elegance?

I would not be surprised if the designer was looking up pictures of Beyonce, so I'm going to say it's "unconscious", but it's still "questionable", especially since I believe this may be the first Black woman playable character that Nintendo has created.

LotusHD

Banned
I would not be surprised if the designer was looking up pictures of Beyonce, so I'm going to say it's "unconscious", but it's still "questionable", especially since I believe this may be the first Black woman playable character that Nintendo has created.

The only other thing I believe is the Black Squid Girl skin color for Splatoon, so yea, probably.

Mornin' everyone.
___

East Coast getting hit hard with the heat, hope y'all staying cool over there. This is supposedly going to be the hottest summer, or that's what I keep hearing at least.

zeemumu

Keep me abreast of any future crowdplays you try. I'd love to join

Shit a crowdplay starting from the beginning would be hilarious af.

Dang, crowdplay with bct sounds like it'd be trip, I mean I would but I haven't even gotten to it yet. Was holding off till the entire set was out.

Game hasn't hit the <= 7.50 sweet spot for me yet.

I don't think you have to buy it. Based on these instructions it just gives me a code and a url and I give that to whoever wants in. The settings are "host decides" and "crowd decides" and I'm probably gonna set it to the latter.

I'll start it later this evening (around like 7PM PST) and put the code and stuff up on the discord as long as there are enough people to join.

Sch1sm

I don't think you have to buy it. Based on these instructions it just gives me a code and a url and I give that to whoever wants in. The settings are "host decides" and "crowd decides" and I'm probably gonna set it to the latter.

I'll start it later this evening (around like 7PM PST) and put the code and stuff up on the discord as long as there are enough people to join.

For real? I'm for it, then. I'll be around.

Mornin' everyone.
___

East Coast getting hit hard with the heat, hope y'all staying cool over there. This is supposedly going to be the hottest summer, or that's what I keep hearing at least.

It was 80+ in Toronto for 2 days, and now we're back to a humble 50, barely.

zeemumu

Yeah, seems like it

Currently, Crowd Play can be hosted from all console (Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3) devices, as well as PC/Mac. Crowd Play is currently not available to host from mobile/iOS/Android based versions of our games, but players can still join games hosted from console/PC/Mac by using the browsers on their mobile devices without needing to own the game.

Pretty sure you don't need to use mobile. PC browsers should work fine

Dry heat with an ocean breeze for me
Now thats perfect surfing weather for me brother.

It was 80+ in Toronto for 2 days, and now we're back to a humble 50, barely.

Thats too big of a swing, but not surprising it was snowing up in Vancouver a slight on Monday. When do we get to put the winter clothes completely away and just pull out all the summer gear. I'm about to just say to hell with it and be the dude wearing shorts in 10c weather.

Count me in my man, I should be settled in before 7 anyways.

Mornin' everyone.
___

Im preparing a AC war chest for my upcoming electric bill. Its gonna go from $30 to $150 a month but I dont give a fuck.

#fuckhumidity

Malyse

Malyse

Where's the butt?

It's lacking and that's my point. A butt is not something that the otaku hordes are prepared to adequately contend with, so any such appearance will cause undue attention to be drawn to it.

----

Speaking of 2B
Yoko Taro (about the main character of sinoalice) said:
I've been commenting my honest feelings of ”Very cute! I believe she'll sell well!" about all the designs we've presented up until now, but someone pointed out that ”Yoko Taro is really slacking it with his comments." So this time, please allow me to change the comment to: ”If we're talking cute or not cute, then she's very cute! If you're wondering whether she'll sell well or not sell well, I think she'll sell well!! But even if she does sell well there won't be any money in it for me or Jino-san, and I can't sleep at night thinking about the wonderful people at Pokelabo (developers) or Square Enix pocketing the money!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom