• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Got my 70% off Image comics coupon for Comixology. Can I use it on a bunch of single issues or is it only valid for 1 item? It says no bundles, but nothing about multiple single issues.

One time use but a bunch of stuff in that order, not just one item, so don't checkout until you've decided.

On FCBD I picked up free Humanoids The Incal issue on a whim. It is the first three issues of the Jodorowsky-Moebius classic. It snuck up on me and, by the time it ended, I immediately wanted more!

I am not usually into comics like this so I'm surprised I loved it so much. Previously, I was only familiar with Moebius from the pages posts here. Must buy the new hardcover with the bonus pages.

Wanderer5

Got a barnes and noble 30% off coupon for selected collectibles like the kotobukiya Artfx+ line. I have a couple of B&N cards, so maybe I will keep either of these two in mind, each would be $40 with the discount.

spider-6.jpg

spiderulti-6.jpg

Probably would go with Peter as an solo, since I don't want to collect the rest of the spiderman line then.XD

On FCBD I picked up free Humanoids The Incal issue on a whim. It is the first three issues of the Jodorowsky-Moebius classic. It snuck up on me and, by the time it ended, I immediately wanted more!

I am not usually into comics like this so I'm surprised I loved it so much. Previously, I was only familiar with Moebius from the pages posts here. Must buy the new hardcover with the bonus pages.

The Edena hardcover is great! Moebius's art is so damn good, it's really fun to see it kind of evolve as it goes on too.

Hmm... Is Ninjak worth jumping into at this point? I've had my eye on it for a while.

Yes.

I'll be straight with you, if you just want to be forward-looking, jump in with Rapture #1 next week. However, Ninjak is a really good read. There are a few arcs in there that are just incredibly well-written. It ended with #27 this week, and he will be getting a new series after Rapture ends, as well.

Valiant Sale on CMX. I've put my recommendations in the link, but The Valiant for $3.96 is a no brainer for anyone who enjoys comics, not just people interested in Valiant.

Yeah, there is some decent stuff in here. The Valiant is really solid. Note that getting the single issues on sale is usually cheaper than getting the digital TPBs on sale for most of the Valiant stuff, you can save even more cash that way. And the "25 issues of Ninjak" bundle is a hella solid deal on a good book, albeit doesn't include Issue 26 which wraps up the story line (and Kindt's run on the series).

Only caveat is that Shadowman is straight garbage, which pains me to say because Peter Milligan is the dude who got me into comics *way* back in the day with Shade The Changing Man (Bachalo on art didn't hurt either).

Yeah, there is some decent stuff in here. The Valiant is really solid. Note that getting the single issues on sale is usually cheaper than getting the digital TPBs on sale for most of the Valiant stuff, you can save even more cash that way. And the "25 issues of Ninjak" bundle is a hella solid deal on a good book, albeit doesn't include Issue 26 which wraps up the story line (and Kindt's run on the series).

Only caveat is that Shadowman is straight garbage, which pains me to say because Peter Milligan is the dude who got me into comics *way* back in the day with Shade The Changing Man (Bachalo on art didn't hurt either).

Yeah, that Shadowman series is rough. At the very least, the Jordan issues are above average with #0 and #10 being really strong, but the rest is just hard to read.

Mera: Hnnng

CMX code: Got it!

Had a dream Aaron was teasing everyone about how he had a new cosmic book only for it to be a relaunched Thanos and the cover had him standing in front of a big 1. Weird dream.

God damn. New Darkseid statue from Sideshow and Prime 1. 32" tall and $1250.

Holy shit that's incredible. I could replace my kid with this, and I'd have an actual monster, oppose to a metaphorical one, and I wouldn't even have to feed it. Not sure if anyone would be able to tell the difference.

I might catch up on some Rebirth and Image books this weekend if I'm not lazy.

I just imagine Sandy reading a nice Rebirth or Image HC, but under that dustcover....it's a Marvel book.

Sandfox

Holy shit that's incredible. I could replace my kid with this, and I'd have an actual monster, oppose to a literal one, and I wouldn't even have to feed it. Not sure if anyone would be able to tell the difference.

I just imagine Sandy reading a nice Rebirth or Image HC, but under that dustcover....it's a Marvel book.

Let's not get crazy now.

Sandfox

So now the latest Archie issue has me thinking that
Betty is going end up handicapped in some way with Archie and Reggie taking it hard since it's completely their fault.

error4041

I just got a few Walking Dead/Invincible trades with the 70% off coupon, I'm trying to keep my spending down and I generally prefer reading books in trade or Oversized-Hardcover format.

If anyone has am image code they don't want I'll use it :(
Sorry, would've if I had seen but I had already pressed the button :(

Saved 42€ and caught up on all the Image books I follow digitally aside from the new WicDiv special issue since it just came out.

Edit: Shit, due to this my digital collection crossed the 3K mark. Damn.

I can't remember ever receiving a voucher code. Maybe it's because I have a UK account.

I'm in the same boat. Not that I would use a coupon if they sent me it but I don't think I've ever received one and they send enough emails haha plenty happy to let me know about literally everything else they've got going on.

Messi

Sorry, would've if I had seen but I had already pressed the button :(

Saved 42€ and caught up on all the Image books I follow digitally aside from the new WicDiv special issue since it just came out.

Edit: Shit, due to this my digital collection crossed the 3K mark. Damn.

That's ok dude :/

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

I bitched about this earlier but I don't get the thought process behind making these short stories into HC books that cost just as much as an LP that's 3 times the size. I can't imagine a lot of people are going to spend 15 bucks for something that can be read in about 15 minutes or less.

[edit]

Sucks cus I REALLY want to read it but I can't justify the price for 56 pages.

I bitched about this earlier but I don't get the thought process behind making these short stories into HC books that cost just as much as an LP that's 3 times the size. I can't imagine a lot of people are going to spend 15 bucks for something that can be read in about 15 minutes or less.

[edit]

Sucks cus I REALLY want to read it but I can't justify the price for 56 pages.

Yea, I saw your last post on it haha I just didn't say anything because I don't have much to add, I think it's a fair point. The only thing I would add to the contrary is I've always been able to purchase them for a couple of pounds less than the normal trades with ease so I wouldn't agree that they are the exact same price, and you do get a nice little book out of it, but yea. I totally get why someone would look at it and say nah. A 56 pages for £9 versus the usual page count for £12 is a raw deal, and theyre only doing it because they can and is more profitable than using the story to sell Dark Horse Presents. One of them, House of the living dead, has already been collected in the regular paperback trades though, so if you feel strongly just keep voting with your wallet and they'll turn up in a other stories collection along the line.

For me, they do them so infrequently and the fact it's a HC, I like having a cool set of neat little books on my shelf, but yea. I totally get it and purely looking at it monetarily £5-6 would be a much better deal. Dark Horse always err towards the more expensive side though, that's for sure.

Cheers for the link Lore!

X-Men Gold

This book just comes off as really corny. What is up with all the psychic stuff suddenly being computer like and downloading and uploading stuff to peoples head all the time?

Nightwing

Thought this was ok. I find with any of the Titans team I'm usually more into their personal relationships than I am with them doing regular super hero stuff.

Super Sons

This continues to be fun and awesome. Damien and Jon together are perfect. Young Lois is hot.

Green Lanterns

Training montage with a little less montage.

Aizo

Banned
Just bought five volumes of Stray Bullets. Weeee
That's way too recent to be on sale, but the $10 trade is out next month
That's cheap. Sweet.

--
Reading Killing and Dying. I can't deal with cancer stuff. I've had to put the book down several times to calm down. This is rough. Really good book so far. It makes me really happy there's a story at the end dedicated to Yoshihiro Tatsumi. He's one of my favorite manga authors, and he was extremely influential and important to the gekiga movement a few decades ago. Damn. His death was one of the saddest celebrity deaths for me. I hope he wrote enough for his second autobiographical manga to publish.

Yep. I have almost 4,000 issues on there and no coupon. I see how it is!

I also didn't get the coupon =( . My guess is maybe it's because I bought a *TON* of Image comics during that huge sale they had 4 or 6 weeks ago, when essentially their whole line was on sale? That actually made my most common publisher Image in my collection (I bought.. uh.. a *lot*). Maybe they were looking at ownership data and sent it to people who had a ton of Marvel and DC stuff and comparatively little from Image .

It's the risk a company always faces when doing targeted promotions; if those not in the target find out about it can definitely lead to negative emotions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom