• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you also dismiss games because of their artstyle?

post-S

All the time
IMO art style is the most important aspect of a game, way more important than gameplay, plot, or graphics

mindatlarge

Cel-shaded didn't appeal to me at one time, but it has grown on me throughout the years. Other than that, nothing really comes to mind.

lt519

I'm not a fan of the gothic and/or heaven/hell themes (which then lead to art) of souls/borne games and devil may cry/bayonetta. I don't even bother trying.

vaporeon

Please give me an artist's explanation of how exactly his art is poor proportionally. I can't see it.
Mmm,I don't think I mentioned his proportions? But I guess something like this?
78618f3cb7b9f6c9fbe32cbb54ddf8c7.jpg
It's more that he is definitely a manga artist, where his style works out. Doing character art for a video game is a totally different ball game, and his work looks totally weak trying to do it, in my opinion.

Van Bur3n

Yes. All the time. The art style and art direction plays a pretty big factor when it comes to my interest in a game. Some of my favorite games are loved most for their art style even.

But as for those I dismiss because of it? Anime games. Just nope. I made a sole exception for Catherine though because it doesn't look as obnoxious as most I feel, but the rest look silly to me.

Other fine mentions in this thread as well. I recall playing Dust: An Elysian Tail and enjoying it moderately but I could not get over the fact this whole thing was a furry fantasy and I eventually stopped. Another mention is Spelunky. Despite the praise I hear about it, it seems incredibly boring to look at.

bigjig

Yep, I find western-style cartoon graphics (think: The Sims) to be completely unattractive to the point where it puts me off trying those games.

Numb

Cannot handle artstyle and character designs of the Tales of series no matter what
One and only case.
Tried.

The Binding of Isaac and Salt & Santuary come to mind. I paid for both of them and the art is a huge turn off.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Looks fine to me, just a more modern version of this.

9qElK5l.jpg

Not even a particularly bad example of noodle people.

I tend to do it with stuff that's super "moe" with giant eyes and hypersexualized anime stuff, but if the games supposedly really good I'll play it. I'll play anything if it's good, but there are definitely times where an art style turns me off a bit. Xenoblade 2 is an example of that. It seems so... generic, and, well... "anime." I watch anime and play plenty of JRPGs where anime style doesn't bother me, but that style in particular just rubs me the wrong way. In the end it's more of a small disappointment than something that will actually affect my enjoyment.

But yeah, something with the art style of that new Bomber Girl game would have to be really fucking good for me to play it.

EDIT: On the other side of the spectrum, Gears of War and God of War are both art styles that are incredibly unappealing for me too.

BlueTieCasual

Neo Member
I think the art style of Betheda's RPGs is probably half the reason I have no interest in them. I'm sure they're great games but I simply find the colour palette to be mostly dark, damp, and not much else.

I'm much more of a person who enjoys vibrant cartoon design and colours anyways, like Splatoon, so nothing against Bethesda.

petran79

Banned
I enjoyed Jazz Jackrabbit in the 90s so I did not have many issues enjoying Dust:an Elysian Tail.

But I was used to 80s and 90s computer game artwork, a lot of which would certainly not pass console certification. Not just due to quality but also for content. After all it was in computer games where you'd most likely see uncensored content.

When I saw the change of art direction of Jazz in the GBA version, I felt character and franchise lost what made it stand out, despite looking more professional.

Same reason I like doujin games. They take elements mostly from literature, theater and manga instead of relying on hard to imitate film and animation influences, like the more expensive games.
Artists' vision matters more than art quality.
I've seen good yet compromising art. I prefer the opposite.

jeemer

not for the most part, but certain anime styles really turn me off.

i despised the waifu meets old cartoon aesthetic of skullgirls, and on top of that the UI was actually disgusting. no matter how many good things i've heard about that game, I will never give it a chance.

Can't get into Divinity: Original Sin because I hate how the characters look

You can either be man with tiny head and hulk body, or lady with low neckline and no pants.

woopWOOP

Unless it has a certain gameplay mechanic that I know I really enjoy I'm mostly going off on the visuals.

Hell some games are totally not my style genre wise, but the artstyle has me buying them anyway (and then they turn out to be alright)

I surely do dismiss some games based on their art, I'm not so sure that I can say that I do for their style. I mean, while there are certainly some art style that I prefer, I wouldn't dismiss a game because is toon.shaded, photorealistical, anime, pixel art or whatever. Still, there are games that I stopped playing at least partially cause I found that they were way to garrish or too drab or that the realism of the bg was too much in contrast with the stiff animation .One exception would be "Dust: an Elysian tale" where I just found the style so amateurish and offputting

Tajbong

Neo Member
It's very hard for me not to judge Pixel art games.

As soon as I see that artstyle in a game, I feel it's gonna be crap. I know that I should look beyond the style as I'm probably missing out on some great gameplay, but I just can't do it.

Hyper Light Drifter was an exception though.

Denzar

Yeah, I do. I tend to give those games a chance but when I really dislike the art style I get burnt out on that game way quicker. I started Halo 2 back in the day, and while it played buttery smooth I got tired of it's aesthetic super fast. I played Darksiders 1 to completion, and started 2 but I just got so tired of the art-style I just gave up on the game after 8 hours. Too bad when I come to think of it, I'm probably missing out on some great experiences.

I'm afraid Nioh will suffer the same fate once I get crackin' on that game.

SPCTRE

It definitely happens, especially with pixel art, sprite based art styles - I'm just not a fan, generally speaking.

Definitely makes it harder for me to return to games such as Rogue Legacy and FTL.

Dargor

I usually don't. In fact there is just one game and one art style.

Street Fighter V for their super muscled characters and pixel/pixelated games (this one by virtue of it being so reused).

Jaroof

Nope. Don't think I've ever done that. If a game has gameplay that appeals to me, yet I don't like its art style, I'll get over it and enjoy the game. Same with other media, as well.

Sure, I'll probably point it out if I don't really like the art, but I won't let that hold me back from enjoying the experience.

Absolutely. If I don't like the way it looks..I won't play. Thats not me saying i need super hyper realistic graphics. I get artstyles but some I just dont like.
But thats me everywhere. I refuse to watch or read One Piece because its ugly af.

Well I don't outright dismiss games because of their artstyle, if they are good but have a artstyle I don't like, it can dampen my enjoyment of the game quite a bit though. This happened for example with the Gears of War games, the Mass Effect games, the Binding of Isaac, Everybody's Golf and most western mobile-games that go for this "flash" style cartoon aesthetic.

AudioEppa

It can be a part of a few reasons I have/will dismiss a game. I don't own any developer my time. I look at video games like this. I have personal understanding of what I will enjoy, 1000% guarantee every damn time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
no.

I dismiss games because of their genre tho, and even that is something im trying to change.

PillarEN

Don't mind Dust (the furry game) artstyle.

Generally I would say no in terms of "I refuse to play this game because of its artstyle", but it can deter me from playing it as soon as I would if it maybe had a different art style.

For me I hate and I mean hate the Dragonball Z look. It's why I initially thought anime wasn't for me when I was completely oblivious to other anime beyond what cartoon network showed on TV after school.

As we all know games like Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger also share the same style. I think CT had the actual artist work on the character designs so it makes sense. Luckily in sprite form the character artstyle doesn't bother me one bit. But if Chrono Trigger was remade with a 3D anime look that mimicked that Dragonball artstyle I don't know if I could deal with that haha.

Absolutely. If I don't like the way it looks..I won't play. Thats not me saying i need super hyper realistic graphics. I get artstyles but some I just dont like.
But thats me everywhere. I refuse to watch or read One Piece because its ugly af.

I like you man

dude

dude
When the game's art is very poorly executed or thought out it'll lessen my opinion of the game - But I don't think I'll ever not play a game that came with very good recommendations just because of the art's first impression.

Khrno

Yeah, if I don't like the art style I will not be able to enjoy a game since I won't find it visually pleasing, and it doesn't have to do with graphics quality.

For example I hate the Warcraft art styles, so I have never liked any of those games. This is also true for most Blizzard games.

PillarEN

Yeah, if I don't like the art style I will not be able to enjoy a game since I won't find it visually pleasing, and it doesn't have to do with graphics quality.

For example I hate the Warcraft art styles, so I have never liked any of those games. This is also true for most Blizzard games.

Oh this too. Though I wouldn't not play the games because of the artstyle but there is not a single Blizzard game that would entice me because of its artstyle. Overwatch is pretty different from the other more typical Blizzard artstyles but still does nothing for me.

Glomby

Yes I do this a lot and I sometimes hoped I wouldn't do it but if Ireland dislike an art style I simply can't bring myself to play a certain game. Since I don't have the time to play very thing anyway it's at least a very quick way to make a decision.

I know I've missed out on good games I probably would have liked because of that but since I can't play erverything anyway I'm fine with it.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
That moment when a friend of mine wants to dislike the artstyles of Bayonetta and Vanquish, but they are having too much fun to care.

PrimeBeef

There is something I find a bit silly yet it still seems to happen pretty frequently for me: if a game has an artstyle I dislike or at least find uninteresting, I'll very likely have no interest in playing it. A recent example is Witcher 3. I bought the GOTY edition for 20€ New and thought that this was a pretty good deal for an apparently genre-defining game. However I find the medieval artstyle completely dull and unoriginal. The thing is: i know that this is probably a great game and my SO is absolutely raving about it yet here I am forcing myself to stay interested.

Are you the same from time to time or is this just another level of ignorance?

If I find a game visually unappealing, I cannot play it. I just cannot, enjoy a game if it is something I do not wish to look at. That mostly has to do with ASCII games and really bad looking pixel art games. I can't think of a modern game game that doesn't use those that I have said not a chance upon first seeing it. Most of the time I dismiss games becasue the setting, game play, or genre doesn't appeal to me.

I dismiss indie games with 8-bit retro-styled graphics because these games usually aren't worth playing.

A sizeable portion of gamers in the US reject games with color. When I was showing off Splatoon to a friend and his brother they had completely opposite reactions: one was enthralled by it, the other wanted to know if "we could play a "big kids" game".

Tohsaka

I won't avoid a game because of its art style if it has high praise and seems like something I'd otherwise enjoy. I will probably enjoy it less, though.

PrimeBeef

Absolutely. I'm a huge Zelda fan but i'm not excited for BotW because of the art style. Too cartoony, too bright, too colorful. I want the dark, realistic and mature style of OoT, MM and TP back. I never got into Skyward Sword and the art style was one of the reasons.

Yeah becasue there is no light or bright colors in the real world. WW is closer to looking like the real world than OoT, MM, and TP. I'm not attacking you, but I really hate this argument that darker colors and lighting is mature, and bright lights and bright colors is kiddy.

Not that i can think of unless it's an Early-Access or just terrible game. If the gameplay looks attractive then i can deal with artstyle choices that other's don't like.

Oh, There an old game that i detest the artstyle of. It had emoji looking faces way before emojis and it's still available. Oh, fucking Snood! It's artstyle puts me right off even if in-game it's much better.

PrimeBeef

I dismiss indie games with 8-bit retro-styled graphics because these games usually aren't worth playing.

A sizeable portion of gamers in the US reject games with color. When I was showing off Splatoon to a friend and his brother they had completely opposite reactions: one was enthralled by it, the other wanted to know if "we could play a "big kids" game".

That is usually a big sign of immaturity or lack of self esteem.

Sephzilla

Honestly yes. I never cared for Wind Waker's art style when it was originally announced. Dishonored's art style never clicked for me either. There have been a few indie pixel-art styles that don't gel with me either

If I think something looks really bland then I probably won't ever have much interest in playing it. This tends to be more down to setting and genre than the specific art style, but sometimes you get something like Days Gone, which is just the perfect storm of generic.

XX5vjJQ.png

Bland character design, dime a dozen photorealistic graphics, boring American woodsy setting, yawn.

Also, smh at everyone ragging on Yasuda Suzuhito. I've always liked his art, it's very vibrant and stylish imo. His designs are hit and miss tho, like Devil Survivor 2 was a total mess of bland booby ladies.

If an artstyle really turns me off then yes I will ignore the game.

A good cover also goes a long way into convincing me to take a second or third look into considering a game.
If I think something looks really bland then I probably won't ever have much interest in playing it. This tends to be more down to setting and genre than the specific art style, but sometimes you get something like Days Gone, which is just the perfect storm of generic.

XX5vjJQ.png

Bland character design, dime a dozen photorealistic graphics, boring American woodsy setting, yawn.

Also, smh at everyone ragging on Yasuda Suzuhito. I've always liked his art, it's very vibrant and stylish imo. His designs are hit and miss tho, like Devil Survivor 2 was a total mess of bland booby ladies.

For me I love rustic designs so that's right up my alley. Doing a realistic rustic setting is exactly what I want from a game like this or RDR2.

Rad-

Couldn't continue playing Chrono Cross because I really hated the art style.

Generally any anime-looking game is a pass for me. Some exceptions are Persona games, Valkyria Chronicles etc. The art in those didn't bother me that much.

Nikodemos

Dudebro protag in a typically American-flavoured shootbangy-fest - instant pass.

Anachronism stew gaslamp fantasy (meaning a shitton of Japanese or Japanese-inspired RPGs) - instant pass.

Top Bottom