• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Nintendo Switch has been taken apart

gogogow

So that means you can't get a third party extended battery.
There is no space for a bigger battery. It's a 4310 mAh battery. That's huge, even for smartphone standards. It's a lot bigger than Galaxy S7 Edge and iPhone 7 Plus' batteries.

WadeitOut

I wonder what's size of the chip?

Meanwhile enjoying the enthusiasm of a J-looking pipe confirming an L looking Foxconn leak plus A2=Pascal. This thread should be fun.

There are Pascal chips designated with A1 are there not?

I'd assume the A2 is a revision code, not something that tells us the chip itself.

ToTi

Oh of course, but there are people that like doing stuff just because its hard, it would also be much faster than an SD card
Yeah that's true, but we don't know if you can just copy/paste the OS in the original memory to the new one without any problem.

Any shortcomings of the tablet form factor are easily bypassable. Battery constraints? Power bank. Storage constraints? Micro SD cards. I'm thrilled with the Switch's design, seems about as good as it can be.

oh god.. by the end of the day we should know most of the specs(hopefully). Hopefully we'll know if its foxconn clockspeeds by end of the first week of release

this is how i'm feelilng

iM80S7d.jpg

1zijogFMBcES.jpg

SpawnWave and SuperMetalDave64 is gonna be all over this shit.

Aurongel

Holy shit the size of that battery. Literally the biggest they could fit in
Which is still extremely inefficient and poor compared to its' mobile peers.

In terms of hardware engineering, this thing has more in common with mobile devices of 2008 than it does with say an iPad Pro.

Very odd engineering decisions. I'm surprised this is getting so much praise but I suspect most people here don't look at many other hardware teardowns or architecture diagrams. The WiiU was a damn mess internally but this is a pretty substantial leap for them.

Ninja Dom

oh god.. by the end of the day we should know most of the specs(hopefully). Hopefully we'll know is foxconn clockspeeds by end of the first week of release

this is how i'm feelilng

iM80S7d.jpg

1zijogFMBcES.jpg

SpawnWave and SuperMetalDave64 is gonna be all over this shit.

200.gif

Maxwell is older.

Maxwell is the older one.
I'm slow.

Pascal is in many ways a revision of the Maxwell micro-architecture.

Edit: Beaten...

Thanks. And Switch is using Pascal or still to be confirmed? Where's Digital Foundry? They're normally fast with this. dark10x??

ToTi

In terms of hardware engineering, this thing has more in common with mobile devices of 2008 than it does with say an iPad Pro.

Very odd engineering decisions.
Uhm..

KAL2006

Banned
Any do a approximate BOM for this. Wonder how much it costs Nintendo to build this machine.

I also bet Switch will be one of the easiest systems to hack.

Galang

Banned
It annoys me when people say the Switch is outdated. It's amazing that they achieved such a sleek yet powerful console. For the first time in a while it doesn't feel like Nintendo cheaped out at all and that makes me excited. The upgrade from 3DS is nuts

Do you have anything to back that up? Just kind of sounds like you're needlessly hating based on everyone elses reaction.

N30RYU

Leaks do what nintendont

If nintendo were more open about the specs/console itself two weeks prior launch noone needed to open or leak the ui of the switch

What? How is it inefficient? The actual battery specs line up with it's size. You play a 3D game on an iPad pro and see how long it lasts.

ToTi

Wouldn't it be fairly easy to tell the amount of RAM? Easier than CPU and GPU specs at least..
Since it's a system on a chip (soc), the ram is inside that thing in the photo. I don't think it's possible to tell the amount of ram because of that

NeOak

Very odd engineering decisions. I'm surprised this is getting so much praise but I suspect most people here don't look at many other hardware teardowns or architecture diagrams. The WiiU was a damn mess internally but this is a pretty substantial leap for them.

You have no knowledge of embedded systems if you claim this BS.

Since it's a system on a chip (soc), the ram is inside that thing in the photo. I don't think it's possible to tell the amount of ram because of that
SOCs don't have the RAM on package. It's there, outside.

You're thinking of stacking on top, but that wasn't done here. And it is a different process.

OryoN

Da hell? This guy is going places...

Fularu

Banned
People said this was underpowered with a shitty battery but this beautiful.

The people who said that had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.

From the reveal it was fairly obvious that this is the most advanced, most powefull mobile device (tablet size one anyway) available to the general public.

* not counting something like the Surface pro 4 and even then, I believe the GPU in the switch to be far beyond whatever the IGPU on the i7 can do

Get the fuck out of here with this trolling. This is embarrassing. It's not poor and comparing it to tablets like the iPad Pro, where the smallest size is 9.7" and expecting it to have a battery that this is stupid

Mawile

Banned
I'm really glad they weren't slouching on the battery, really shows they were trying to give you as much as they possibly could.

I'm hoping it's Pascal cause that'll be great for us and Nintendo, but I'll keep my expectations in check that it's Maxwell. It's still a good architecture anyways.

Top Bottom