• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 finally has the library strength I always hoped for it

mindatlarge

PS4 has continued the support of niche and Japanese titles that the PS3 brought to its catalog. Initially, I was concerned that Sony would move on from this sort of support for non-Asian territories, but they have put all those fears to bed. The system has something for everyone.

The games are starting to come but I'm still pretty ambivalent to it all. Maybe I'm just growing out of my love for gaming, nothing really seems to capture me the way stuff did last gen.

The games are starting to come but I'm still pretty ambivalent to it all. Maybe I'm just growing out of my love for gaming, nothing really seems to capture me the way stuff did last gen.

I think that's just you to be honest.. Last gen was the worst imo, partly due to Japanese devs struggling.

Zasa

I agree for sure, last gen just had way more ground breaking games & original IP's. This gen is still not even close to last gen for me.

XSX

If they sorted out all the network problems and let me use something other then the incredibly uncomfortable DS4 it would be a 10/10 perfect system. Those are the only things holding it back at this point.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I have had PS4 since May 2014 and even then, I didn't have any complaints regarding the library. I had 8 completed games in 2014, 14 completed games in 2015 and 11 completed games in 2016. 2017 has the potential to surpass 2016 and none of the years even includes my backlog games. The first two years are always slow and should be expected. Plus, games are taking longer to develop this generation than last generation.

graybot

It's crazy how much better the PS4's library is than the XBOX One's. And I don't think anyone has even mentioned Danganronpa V3 and Ni No Kuni II which are both coming out later this year. Hopefully another triple A exclusive comes out before the end of the year as well (my bet is on Days Gone and/or Detroit; Spider Man and God of War seem like 2018 games to me).
Sadly that is true

I would love for both to be neck and neck and fighting it out. But it's not really a contest right now.

I could no longer justify also owning the xb1, so recently parted ways with it. I really want to see them hit back hard at e3 and when the Scorpio arrives

Don't forget Wipeout.

Speaking of Wipeout, do we know if it will be a significant upgrade over the PS3 version for those on 1080p TVs?

I'm totally the opposite. Very few games stood out last gen. Bioshock and TLOU being the standouts for me. I don't really remember much else that was super notable.

If they sorted out all the network problems and let me use something other then the incredibly uncomfortable DS4 it would be a 10/10 perfect system. Those are the only things holding it back at this point.

I could understand it not being your favorite controller but "incredibly uncomfortable"? Yeah I'm calling bullshit on that.

ianpm31

I'm absolutely loving my PS4 but I've always been a primary ps gamer since ps1 days because of the diverse line up that you can only get on a console. Right now I am swamped with so many games. Nioh, Yakuza, Gravity Rush, and now Horizon is coming up along with Neir/Persona right around the corner. It's ridiculous but it's a very "good" problem.

I'm totally the opposite. Very few games stood out last gen. Bioshock and TLOU being the standouts for me. I don't really remember much else that was super notable.

I could understand it not being your favorite controller but "incredibly uncomfortable"? Yeah I'm calling bullshit on that.

Must have deformed hands....something has to be wrong with your hands for it to be really uncomfortable lol. The controllers are ergonomic and fight perfectly into you hand

Must have deformed hands....something has to be wrong with your hands for it to be really uncomfortable lol. The controllers are ergonomic and fight perfectly into you hand

It's definitely possible that it doesn't fit 100% perfect in someone's hand but again "INCREDIBLY UNCOMFORTABLE"? Yeah no.

Nightbird

I really loved my WiiU and was sad when i traded it in for an PS4...

But god damn, it's only been two months and i'm in love with the PS4. I legit have too many games to play right now, that's not even mentioning all the games that haven't released yet or those i still need to buy (like Persona 5 and GTA5)

And PS+ isn't making things any easier.

So yeah, the library is amazing and like no other. In my eyes it's rivaling the PS2 and the DS in terms of library potential(it's missing Catherine tough, that's one of my most wanted games...)

Seeing how fast PS4 passed Super Nintendo in just 3 years really put things in perspective for the people who was kids at the time SNES was out because it seemed like everyone had one if they was into playing games. even Gamecube & N64 seemed a lot bigger back then now the numbers seem small because of how much the PS4 has sold in so little time.

u6AIwMR.jpg

I think 3rd parties are going to enjoy the success of the PS4 & try to push out as many games as they can before the well run dry.

So are you telling me by the end of this generation Somu will 4 consoles in the top 5 sellers of all time?
That's insane m!

Agreed. Loving my PS4 and all the games on it. After all nearly all big franchises have finally an entry on the console.
And the future looks really bright. Can't wait for Tekken 7 and other classic series which will see a release in the near future.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Don't forget to buy Toukiden 2 in march folks. The Toukiden series is an excellent core game that's is to Monster Hunter what Nioh is to Souls, and Team Ninja's DNA is pretty much in both of them.

There are so many games a lot of them get buried, which is a con in of itself

Jay Sosa

Anyone else feel the same?

It is certainly getting there. I was very vocal about how this gen has been very mediocre so far, but slowly but surely it's getting a lot more interesting.

Especially titles like Gravity Rush, The Silver Case, Yakuza 0 and Steins Gate are making me seriously considering getting a PS4.

I do hope we will see more quirky and unique games like during the glory days of the Playstation, but that is probably to much to ask for.

kitzkozan

I think the console has officially achieved a strong catalogue of exclusives in recent times. Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, DriveClub, Nioh, Ratchet & Clank, Rez Infinite, Gravity Rush 2 (plus the superior version of the first game), Yakuza 0, The Last Guardian, Until Dawn, Resogun and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir off the top of my head. The system has really come into its own in 2017.

The PS4 truly came into it's own in 2016 when a couple of key PS franchise had new offerings such as Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank and the followup to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus imo. I already have more title for this console than any other, except the PS2. Of course, it's somewhat deceptive since I'm counting the remaster I've bought. :p Still, given the gaming landscape the PS4 should end with a library which is more interesting than the PS3 and the one for which I have the most title (including my remasters).

It's definitely possible that it doesn't fit 100% perfect in someone's hand but again "INCREDIBLY UNCOMFORTABLE"? Yeah no.

I've been saying since launch that I personally don't think the DS4 is comfortable to use. That doesn't mean I've got deformed hands, lmao. It's not the worst controller I've ever used, and it's certainly better than the Dualshock 3 but I definitely prefer the Xbox controller.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If you enjoy Sony's exclusive titles and anime styled titles, then yeah, the PS4's library is exemplary.

Personally, I don't really enjoy any of Sony's exclusives anymore. While they we are all certainly experiences, I play games to have fun. I don't have fun playing Sony's exclusives anymore. There's no enjoyment for me there. As of such, I traded in my PS4 when I preordered my Switch; and I don't think I'll be rejoining Sony's ecosystem again in the future. I think I can be perfectly happy being a Nintendo and Microsoft gamer from now on.

I like how literally every game 'isn't fun' in a super broad brush and all Japanese games are 'anime styled games'.

Nonsense.

'Well if you like "anime games" i guess its ok'

You could make the same sort of comparisons to Nintendo and MS is any manner of unfair ways.

Seriously? Last gen had way more big new games from new franchises than this gen. No contest.

Uncharted trilogy
The Last of Us
Mass Effect trilogy
Fallout 3 (rebooted Fallout)
Assassin's Creed
Gears of War
Demon/Dark Souls
Red Dead Redemption (first Rockstar entry)
Bioshock
Batman Arkham
Telltale The Walking Dead
Infamous
Journey

What are the big new games and franchises this gen? Not even close IMO

Jay Sosa

Seriously? Last gen had way more big new games from new franchisest han this gen. No contest.

Yeah, it is extremely strange to see people dismissing last gen when it spawned most of the franchises (and new gameplay ideas) people then name as the reason they prefer this gen..

It certainly was missing all the great japanese games that made me fall in love with videogames (it did gave me Deadly Premonition, so I'm eternally grateful for that) ...but it was far from terrible.

And it also didn't take as long as this gen to become somewhat interesting.

I love my console. I made the right choice. Eventually I'll get an Xbox, but only near the end of it's life.
Yea, maybe I might get a Scorpio if Halo 6 is something amazing. But I tend to already have way too many games to play, and I really like to finish my games, so I try not to just buy stuff that's gonna sit there.

By the time I'm really ready to check out the handful of games I missed on Xbox it'll be time for PS5 and Scropio's successor lol.

PS4 is already my favorite PlayStation system, PS3 still has my favorite UI though.

I like how literally every game 'isn't fun' in a super broad brush and all Japanese games are 'anime styled games'.

Nonsense.

'Well if you like "anime games" i guess its ok'

You could make the same sort of comparisons to Nintendo and MS is any manner of unfair ways.
Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Gran Turismo, Gravity Rush, Horizon.

Games couldn't be more different in gameplay but are just all "not fun" i only play games for fun. It's ridiculous. Playststion has hands down the best variety out of the three. And a almost a classic in every genre at this point.

There is nothing like Smash Brothers, Mario kart, and even Splatoon on PlayStation, I definitely see the appeal, but that's PS strength imo, it's something for everyone.

jjonez18

Agree wholeheartedly. Although I always had something to play even when there was nothing much releasing. I was addicted to TLOU and Bloodborne and am still addicted to Rocket League.

Now I'm getting whiplash from eyeing so many damn interesting games, I just don't have time to dedicate to. Its both an awesome and terrible feeling.

Very broad criticism you've applied here, PS4 exclusives 'aren't fun'? I don't think I've had more 'fun' than with Bloodborne this generation personally.

I very clearly said that I don't find them fun. I was very specific is saying it was my experience and my opinion, not a broad statement. If you'd read clearly without immediately getting your dander up, you would've seen that.

So then, what do you like? Because if there's one thing a Sony library has...it's diversity.

While their genres are diverse, I personally do not enjoy playing them. I like likable protagonists, which is why I really enjoyed the Uncharted series last generation. Unfortunately, to me, Nate lost a ton of his likability in 4. Maybe it's because it wasn't Amy's "voice" in the script and was Neil's, I don't know, but I didn't enjoy Uncharted 4 near as much as the previous 4 games.

I like mechanics that are just a joy to utilize. I used to get this with the Jak and Ratchet games, but those series have essentially disappeared, except for an OK reimagining of the original Ratchet.

I like to race, not just drive. As of such, I prefer Forza over Gran Turismo. I played GT back when it was the only realistic game on the market, but after the release of Forza, I've come to realize that, while GT is an amazing driving simulator, I don't enjoy the racing mechanics as much as Forza.

Look, people, I've never said Sony doesn't have good software or that it's all garbage. I've said that, if you enjoy their exclusives, the PS4 lineup is exemplary. I've just also said that I, personally do not enjoy their games as I, personally do not have fun with them.

Blueingreen

I've been enjoying it since Resogun, lol. But yeah, it really has grown to be very diverse and well rounded. I just wish Sony had a Halo-like competitive 4v4 Arena FPS.

not quite a FPS but there is Drawn To Death a 4v4 Arena Shooter by David Jaffe(God Of War, Twisted Metal) Set to release this April, I remember previews being quite positive.

I agree 100%. Don't regret my purchase one bit even though we paid $400 for it way back when. Love the variety of games the system offers. It looks like the library will get even better once all of sony's big first party games announced at e3 finally come out.

Seriously? Last gen had way more big new games from new franchises than this gen. No contest.

Uncharted trilogy
The Last of Us
Mass Effect trilogy
Fallout 3 (rebooted Fallout)
Assassin's Creed
Gears of War
Demon/Dark Souls
Red Dead Redemption (first Rockstar entry)
Bioshock
Batman Arkham
Telltale The Walking Dead
Infamous
Journey

What are the big new games and franchises this gen? Not even close IMO

A lot of those are dull and mediocre imo, I prefer the Japanese clout this gen , games like NIOH > most of that list. Also how is this a fair list? You are comparing 8 years of last gen to 3 this gen.

Bgamer90

Banned
It has a great library but the system is still pitiful for racers in comparison to the PS1 and PS2. Things should get better this year but hopefully the titles (e.g.: GT Sport) will deliver.

I will more than likely use my PS4 Pro more than my Xbox One for gaming though this year up until the Scorpio releases; More exclusives coming to the PS4 during the first half of this year.

Top Bottom