• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward ops to show PS4 footage for COD IGN vids- a series first since MS deal?

Spongebob

Banned
Albert, if COD: Ghosts is 720p on the XB1, and 1080p on the PS4, will you take back your previous statement about a >30% performance gap not existing between PS4 and XB1?

If he's telling the truth or not, he's seen the game, he should be able to tell. If he can't tell 1080p from 720p, he certainly shouldn't be talking about games looking 'amazing'.

I've mentioned this in another thread, but after all this controversy, I went to try out the two resolutions on a few PC games I had (Bioshock Infinite, Sleeping Dogs, Max Payne 3). Honestly, I couldn't really tell the difference with PC games on my 55" 1080p TV unless I constantly switch back and forth between the two resolutions and make a concerted effort to pick out details in the same scene :/ (I sit 8-10 feet away from my TV, btw).

Honestly, the only obvious way I could tell the difference was because the HUD elements changed size. Text would probably be another easy way to tell. But for an average action game in motion? I wouldn't be able to eyeball resolutions either. I can identify 30 vs. 60 fps, low details versus high details, and 480p vs. 720p though. Just not 720p vs. 1080p, unless I really made a concerted effort to spot the differences.

I don't think it's such a shock that some people may not be able to tell offhand from just watching a game being played. Maybe for some people, there are other graphics differences that jump out more than just resolution?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I hate the way this industry operates sometimes with all the secrecy. Same problem with DICE and Battlefield's resolution. What's the plan? Wait for launch day and hope nobody notices? Sweet Jesus...

Amir0x

Banned
Are you guys really expecting MS to come out and say " X1 COD is 720p". of course they would keep silence !

Not at all. I expect silence. But that is what we're discussing, really: the deafening silence. If Sony had not come out and so easily confirmed the native resolution on PS4, we'd all still be thinking this rumour was not worth getting worked up over until we got something to go off of.

But now, this raises the stakes significantly. It says Activision is allowing Sony - who they're not even partnered with for Ghosts - to plainly share their native res without any issues. No delay, no beating around the bush. But for Microsoft, we still get silence! The only conclusion therefore is that whether Albert is aware of it or not, his friend in 3rd Party Relations is aware the news is negative or Activision does and must now be in the dirty business of trying to keep the news quiet.

I have to question Microsoft's good relationship with third parties if Activision won't reveal the resolution size to them.

What else could possible explain the silent treatment? </sarcasm>

Vire

Nobody said MS doesn't know, just that Albert Panello doesn't know.

What I meant by that was - why is Sony disclosing the information and not Microsoft then?

The answer is pretty obvious.

Not at all. I expect silence. But that is what we're discussing, really: the deafening silence. If Sony had not come out and so easily confirmed the native resolution on PS4, we'd all still be thinking this rumour was not worth getting worked up over until we got something to go off of.

But now, this raises the stakes significantly. It says Activision is allowing Sony - who they're not even partnered with for Ghosts - to plainly share their native res without any issues. No delay, no beating around the bush. But for Microsoft, we still get silence! The only conclusion therefore is that whether Albert is aware of it or not, his friend in 3rd Party Relations is aware the news is negative or Activision does and must now be in the dirty business of trying to keep the news quiet.

Amir0x spitting truth right now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hate the way this industry operates sometimes with all the secrecy. Same problem with DICE and Battlefield's resolution. What's the plan? Wait for launch day and hope nobody notices? Sweet Jesus...

Before a console launch is the main time you're going to see this. Developers don't want to be accused of hurting console sales if one platform underperforms. Once the consoles are out and the first wave of games gets analyzed, it's all over.

It seems to me that Activision is still cranking hard to improve the XBO version and is not willing to announce until the final timer. They prob don't want to create a shitstorm unless they're 100% sure its unavoidable.

They owe much of their financial success to XBOX360 and are probably working hard to not embarrass their top partner.

Mrbob

I don't think Albert is being intentionally dishonest. He keeps coming here despite constantly getting shit. Others would have bailed already. Still, doesn't change the fact one platform is stronger than the other. Though this conversation has gotten a little out of hand.

Wouldn't it be in yours and Activisions best interest to work together and at least be able to confirm that the Xbox will have parity with the PS4? I don't think that is asking too much, especially for a game that the Xbox brand has been tied so closely together with.

MS needs to go grab some secret sauce from Arthur Gies.

Gattsu25

Banned
Since every comment seems to create a s**tstorm, here goes.

Go back and read what I said – not other people’s *interpretation* of what I said.

I was getting a lot of tweets asking about the issue of resolution. I’ve seen the game, then I saw the PS4 footage, and I simply suggested that people wait for footage on both platforms to debate.

I’ve said this exact same thing on this forum several times. But nobody reads the posts, people then just start to assume things or read into things, or then call into question my honesty. Let’s put this to bed.

Here’s a fact that will blow your mind.

The guy that runs 3rd party relations for Xbox is one of my best friends. And we have to play this information game all the time. He has the utmost respect for the confidentiality of partner details. So I did call him and ask him, and he told me very directly “You don’t need to know”

End of conversation. End of speculation.

Nobody at MS will comment on this. Most people don’t know. This is Activision’s product, and it’s completely up to them on how/when they want to show this product, why they choose to roll-out their game in a certain way, and what platforms they choose to show on.

There is no point in lying about anything. If I did know, I would have just said “I can’t say”. You all would have gotten the same answer.

So please, let’s be careful on the “lying” and “obfuscation” memes around here. Read what I post. I ignore 99% of the insults here because they are clearly a result of people not actually reading.

That said, keep up the .gifs. Those I love.
Albert, just wanted to say that I think you're doing a good job.

You can't let nobody hold you down. You can't let nobody take your pride. Ya gotta keep on moving past these haters.

netBuff

I've mentioned this in another thread, but after all this controversy, I went to try out the two resolutions on a few PC games I had (Bioshock Infinite, Sleeping Dogs, Max Payne 3). Honestly, I couldn't really tell the difference with PC games on my 55" 1080p TV unless I constantly switch back and forth between the two resolutions and make a concerted effort to pick out details in the same scene :/ (I sit 8-10 feet away from my TV, btw).

Honestly, the only obvious way I could tell the difference was because the HUD elements changed size. Text would probably be another easy way to tell. But for an average action game in motion? I wouldn't be able to eyeball resolutions either. I can identify 30 vs. 60 fps, low details versus high details, and 480p vs. 720p though. Just not 720p vs. 1080p, unless I really made a concerted effort to spot the differences.

I don't think it's such a shock that some people may not be able to tell offhand from just watching a game being played. Maybe for some people, there are other graphics differences that jump out more than just resolution?

Either your eyes are bad or you sit very far away from your TV: The visual difference between the two resolutions is absolutely staggering, and especially important in a game like CoD where recognising enemies at a distance can be vital. 720p makes it very hard to pick out detail.

720p also looks much worse on a 1080p TV due to the required scaling (especially when 1:1 pixel mapping/Just Scan/however it is called by your manufacturer is enabled).

IN&OUT

Banned

Totally agree with you mate...man it's gonna be difficult generation for MS.

co1onel

What I meant by that was - why is Sony disclosing the information and not Microsoft then?

The answer is pretty obvious.

Amir0x spitting truth right now.

Ah, yes. Sorry I interpreted that wrong. Yes, that much is obvious, but I don't think it has anything to do with MS's relationship with 3rd parties. Its really not in MS or Activision's favor to release bad information to the public.

Vire

It seems to me that Activision is still cranking hard to improve the XBO version and is not willing to announce until the final timer. They prob don't want to create a shitstorm unless they're 100% sure its unavoidable.

They owe much of their financial success to XBOX360 and are probably working hard to not embarrass their top partner.

Still cranking hard on a game that's been in manufacturing for quite some time now? Discs of the final gold copy are out there in the wild already.

Unless you are implying that they will add a patch to magically upgrade the resolution to 1080p by launch.

EvB

Ps4 is just going to be better for multiplatform games.

And we all already can safely assume this, I don't know why people are acting like they have some kind of personal vendetta against Microsoft.

famousmortimer needs to get over himself, he's had his 15 minutes as he said, but he looks desperate trying to incite more controversy.

viveks86

Since every comment seems to create a s**tstorm, here goes.

Go back and read what I said &#8211; not other people&#8217;s *interpretation* of what I said.

I was getting a lot of tweets asking about the issue of resolution. I&#8217;ve seen the game, then I saw the PS4 footage, and I simply suggested that people wait for footage on both platforms to debate.

I&#8217;ve said this exact same thing on this forum several times. But nobody reads the posts, people then just start to assume things or read into things, or then call into question my honesty. Let&#8217;s put this to bed.

Here&#8217;s a fact that will blow your mind.

The guy that runs 3rd party relations for Xbox is one of my best friends. And we have to play this information game all the time. He has the utmost respect for the confidentiality of partner details. So I did call him and ask him, and he told me very directly &#8220;You don&#8217;t need to know&#8221;

End of conversation. End of speculation.

Nobody at MS will comment on this. Most people don&#8217;t know. This is Activision&#8217;s product, and it&#8217;s completely up to them on how/when they want to show this product, why they choose to roll-out their game in a certain way, and what platforms they choose to show on.

There is no point in lying about anything. If I did know, I would have just said &#8220;I can&#8217;t say&#8221;. You all would have gotten the same answer.

So please, let&#8217;s be careful on the &#8220;lying&#8221; and &#8220;obfuscation&#8221; memes around here. Read what I post. I ignore 99% of the insults here because they are clearly a result of people not actually reading.

That said, keep up the .gifs. Those I love.

Albert, thanks for still being patient and responding.

All, I'm finding this whole verbal exchange with Albert pointlessly toxic. People will find out eventually anyway. If you want to know something, make yourself heard. But there is no need insinuate so much and accuse individuals belonging to a gigantic corporation with myriad organizational complexities of obfuscation or blatant lying . It's naive and utterly disrespectful.

If anyone wants to argue the point I'm trying to make, please knock yourself out. You will not get a response from me. I'm fed up of following this thread. Whenever there is real news on what the resolution is, we'll talk.

Amir0x

Banned
Albert, just wanted to say that I think you're doing a good job.

You can't let nobody hold you down. You can't let nobody take your pride. Ya gotta keep on moving past these haters.

Are we "haters", or are we merely passionate gamers who are genuinely interested in knowing what we might potentially purchase? Knowing its flaws and strengths? Being intimately familiar with its idiosyncrasies so that we can make more informed purchases for extremely expensive items that are $400-$500?

Is it right, do you believe, that something such as native resolution is kept secret before people have the opportunity to buy it? Is this something you think is fair? And do you believe people reacting negatively to this fact makes them 'haters'?

JABEE

Because they know it's native 1080p on their console and have chosen to share that information with their consumers?
Yep. Transparency with consumers. It's also positive for Sony. If the game looked like shit on their console they obviously wouldn't disclose it.

I remember Microsoft touting how Madden was best on Xbox 360 last gen. That reputation certainly was important in the early days.

Penello: Why would they share that information with Sony and not Microsoft? Maybe you guys should be more involved with third party operations?

I'm pretty sure Penello's colleague knows it, but chooses not to share it.

Penello not officially being in-the-loop is not surprising. Separation of business divisions happen for a reason, and just because Penello is a consumer-facing figure doesn't mean he gets the 'cc' from every department in the company.

With that being said, given that he said he's seen the official X1 footage of CoD on a 1080p screen... (my opinion) is that he knows the footage is not a full 1080p native, but he may not be sure on the actual native resolution.

And he's definitely not going to comment on that matter.

jaypah

You got us. We're all hiving-minding it up.

What? Ok, I'll break it down. Didn't want to, as I'm on my phone. Ami put it best when he said that the 180 is getting shit because it deserves it. Do you look around GAF and think that the favor of Sony and MS are split 50/50? Of course not.

MS has dropped the ball on several occasions since the reveal and crazy messaging, lower specs and higher price knocked their castle down. Most 180 threads turn to shit quite easily and when an Xbox fan asks, "why are you picking on MS? You guys are so biased!" the answer is always the same...we are a community made up of hardcore gamers and Sony is doing and saying all of the right things and MS is doing the opposite. Which is the truth. So what reason would a forum with such a lop-sided interest in PS4 over the 180 have for getting to 55 pages talking about the resolution of a 180 game? All the memes, lulz and .gifs were from concerned future 180 owners? Lol, come on.

The forum loves drama and we're in the middle of some of the best drama GAF has ever seen. I have no idea why you think I'm trying to hivemind GAF. I'm literally calling it like it is

Mrbob

Yep. Transparency with consumers. It's also positive for Sony. If the game looked like shit on their console they obviously wouldn't disclose it.

I remember Microsoft touting how Madden was best on Xbox 360 last gen. That reputation certainly was important in the early days.

To be fair, transparency is much easier when you know you have the upper hand.

Albert, if COD: Ghosts is 720p on the XB1, and 1080p on the PS4, will you take back your previous statement about a >30% performance gap not existing between PS4 and XB1?

Maybe he wanted to write "130%" instead of ">30%", which would be true, because the difference in the amount of pixels going from the X1 version to the PS4 version of CoD would be only 125%.

StuBurns

Banned
Not at all. I expect silence.
That's the very worst form of PR.

You get bad news out yourself, and you get it out early. MS should have come clean when asked, and thrown a bunch of tech babble to calm fanboys "The temporal resolution CoD's blistering 60fps provides greatly enhances the image quality independent of resolution" or whatever, but instead it's just going to be a bloodbath when the face offs hits. Made even worse by the fact Sony are going to beat them on every single game on the same day.

It's pretty plainly obvious.

There don't seem to be builds in the wild of any third party titles save Battlefield 4, which apparently wasn't allowed to be filmed or photographed on either platform for whatever reason, and FIFA 14. COD multiplayer reveal on PCs "presented by Xbox."

And mort now with multiple sources confirming.
The forum loves drama and we're in the middle of some of the best drama GAF has ever seen.
Pretty much. It's amusing. It's ultimately silly. Some people just want to watch the world burn, and I can admit that sometimes I'm one of them.

Cess007

I respect Penello (and his job; and i really think he doesn't actually knows and Activision or MS 3rd party PR director doesn't want anyone else to know) but - for me - it's kinda telling that MS is the first to know, show and boast about all the first-on Xbox One DLC packages, the trailers and everything else, but had no idea if the game is 720p or 1080p

Just as Sony, if the case were inverted, you'd a more powerful machine than competition, and a game as populas a CoD had an edge over other consoles, i'm sure you'll proudly show it in every single ad you can put online or tv.

FTF

Haven't read every post in this thread, and while I, like many others, assume it's 720p on Xbox one at this point, is it possible they are still working on trying to get it to 1080p and that's why it hasn't been confirmed? Or is basically a month before release not enough time to change anything and they're just delaying the official bad news as long as possible, etc.

Vire

Are we "haters", or are we merely passionate gamers who are genuinely interested in knowing what we might potentially purchase? Knowing its flaws and strengths? Being intimately familiar with its idiosyncrasies so that we can make more informed purchases for extremely expensive items that are $400-$500?

Is it right, do you believe, that something such as native resolution is kept secret before people have the opportunity to buy it? Is this something you think is fair? And do you believe people reacting negatively to this fact makes them 'haters'?

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with wanting to know the truth, but flat saying they are deliberate liar is another matter entirely.

I get that it is frustrating, but really, you already know the real reasoning for the silence on Microsoft's behalf.

Amir0x

Banned
That's the very worst form of PR.

You get bad news out yourself, and you get it out early. MS should have come clean when asked, and thrown a bunch of tech babble to calm fanboys "The temporal resolution CoD's blistering 60fps provides greatly enhances the image quality independent of resolution" or whatever, but instead it's just going to be a bloodbath when the face offs hits. Made even worse by the fact Sony are going to beat them on every single game on the same day.

I am not arguing it's good PR or good strategy. Just that it is indeed the strategy I would expect for something like this

Vire said:
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with wanting to know the truth, but flat saying they are deliberate liar is another matter entirely.

I get that it is frustrating, but really, you already know the truth.

I have not called him a liar and to my knowledge never have. I have great respect for Albert, and think he's in an impossible situation.

frizby

Truth.

But doesn't CoD absolutely positively have to be 1080p on PS4? It's competing directly with Killzone over there, and that game is 1080p and is making pants shrink.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Activision gave Sony the go-ahead, and if they did that, they had to have given MS the go-ahead as well. MS just doesn't seem to be in a position to state the obvious. Better to keep the news marginalized to rumors and speculation from "that cesspool NeoGAF", which feeds into what their fans already think.

Vire

I am not arguing it's good PR or good strategy. Just that it is indeed the strategy I would expect for something like this

I have not called him a liar and to my knowledge never have. I have great respect for Albert, and think he's in an impossible situation.

No I wasn't saying you did, it was more directed at the criticism I placed at Mortimer's feet.

Digital Foundry can't get here soon enough.

Either your eyes are bad or you sit very far away from your TV: The visual difference between the two resolutions is absolutely staggering, and especially important in a game like CoD where recognising enemies at a distance can be vital. 720p makes it very hard to pick out detail.

720p also looks much worse on a 1080p TV due to the required scaling (especially when 1:1 pixel mapping/Just Scan/however it is called by your manufacturer is enabled).

as mentioned, I sit 8-10 feet away. And I wear glasses. Maybe I need a new prescription? Are my glasses of the quincunx variety? Built-in MSAA hoo hahs? I dunno. Albert Penello wears glasses too...aha, I've figured it out!

Amir0x

Banned
But doesn't CoD absolutely positively have to be 1080p on PS4? It's competing directly with Killzone over there, and that game is 1080p and is making pants shrink.

Of course not. First, Call of Duty has nothing to fear from the sales of Killzone. Nothing at all. Second imo, even if it was 720p on PS4, the sales would not be that negatively impacted versus Killzone.

And finally, and most importantly, that's usually not how it works. Why didn't many last-gen games feel the need to compete with the native 720p games?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just feel sorry for Albert whenever tech talk comes up. He's clearly not a technical guy, no offense meant, and it just makes it seem to some users like he's hiding something when he actually just plain doesn't know. The technical fellow situation just made things worse since the TF clearly didn't think that GAF would be able to dissect the claims as much as we did and Albert got shot as the messenger.

krioto

If it was 1080p on xbone, this rumour would have been nixed immediately - shouted from the twitter-top.

The silence indicates one of two things:

- its 720p
- resolution has yet to be finalised and they are working their arses off for a day one patch

frizby

What? Ok, I'll break it down. Didn't want to, as I'm on my phone. Ami put it best when he said that the 180 is getting shit because it deserves it. Do you look around GAF and think that the favor of Sony and MS are split 50/50? Of course not.

MS has dropped the ball on several occasions since the reveal and crazy messaging, lower specs and higher price knocked their castle down. Most 180 threads turn to shit quite easily and when an Xbox fan asks, "why are you picking on MS? You guys are so biased!" the answer is always the same...we are a community made up of hardcore gamers and Sony is doing and saying all of the right things and MS is doing the opposite. Which is the truth. So what reason would a forum with such a lop-sided interest in PS4 over the 180 have for getting to 55 pages talking about the resolution of a 180 game? All the memes, lulz and .gifs were from concerned future 180 owners? Lol, come on.

The forum loves drama and we're in the middle of some of the best drama GAF has ever seen. I have no idea why you think I'm trying to hivemind GAF. I'm literally calling it like it is

When you put it this way, I mostly agree.

However, this is the very first measurable confirmation of something we've suspected since early this year, that multiplatform games would perform better on PS4's hardware.

It's kind of a big deal.

Haven't read every post in this thread, and while I, like many others, assume it's 720p on Xbox one at this point, is it possible they are still working on trying to get it to 1080p and that's why it hasn't been confirmed? Or is basically a month before release not enough time to change anything and they're just delaying the official bad news as long as possible, etc.

Unless there's a miraculous day one patch for the Xbox one version, I don't see how it's possible.

dolabla

Btw what was the res on the last COD game for the PS3?

I imagine this will be quite an increase.

According to Digital Foundry: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-face-off

We find the game hitting the same 880x720 figures enjoyed on 360 in places, but this isn't a constant throughout the game. Rather, it appears to be more dynamic than first thought, where several tests of the first level's river scene gives us a reading as low as 832x624.

RulkezX

Alberto seems like good people , I don't envy his position in this.

I think we can probably chalk this one up as true though.

Top Bottom