• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the most famous person in human history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my own experience Italian Americans are far more concerned with Columbus than Italians in Italy are. This makes sense as Italians in Italy don't need to prove that they are important to Italian history.
Sure but they still know who he is. There are multiple museums/monuments for him.

Based on?

The same anecdotal stats everyone else is using to make their choices. I live in a third world country where education is not up to snuff, but I've never met anyone of any age here or anywhere else that didn't know who Colombus or Jesus was. I can't say the same for Caesar, Da Vinci, Hitler or whoever else.

Americans knowing something is not exactly a good indicator of how well known something or someone is worldwide. Out of the ~7b people on earth only ~300m are Americans.

It's still the third most populous nation on Earth. That's a fairly huge blow to "Most Famous Person Ever" claim.

I came into this thread thinking it would be a coin toss between Hitler and Jesus, but you really could make a serious argument for Michael Jackson. When news of his death first hit, some ISPs crashed because they couldn't handle the sudden traffic strain.

Thewonandonly

To add to the topic I don't know who Mohamed is unless your talking about Ali at the end but I think u guys are talking about a religious figure so it has to be Jesus or Buddha. I think we can also throw in ghandi somewhere up near the top.

Queen Elizabeth II must be right up there too, to be honest. If we're speaking in terms of figures who are in the consciousness of those alive today.

Cocaloch

The same anecdotal stats everyone else is using to make their choices. I live in a third world country where education is not up to snuff, but I've never met anyone of any age here or anywhere else that didn't know who Colombus or Jesus was. I can't say the same for Caesar, Da Vinci, Hitler or whoever else.

Not everyone is just stating anecdotal evidence though, the thread is mostly rational not empirical. Which makes sense, as there is no metric we can really use for this.

Sure but they still know who he is. There are multiple museums/monuments for him.

You'd be surprised at how unimportant monuments and museums are for popular knowledge.

Ovid

Religious figure : Jesus
Historical figure : Hitler
Entertainer : Michael Jackson
Sportstar : Mohamed Ali
Scientist : Einstein
This is probably the best list in this thread.

Religious figure is a toss up between Jesus and Muhammad. Everything else is on point.

To add to the topic I don't know who Mohamed is unless your talking about Ali at the end but I think u guys are talking about a religious figure so it has to be Jesus or Buddha. I think we can also throw in ghandi somewhere up near the top.
Islam is the second largest world religion and has been prominent in recent world affairs. It's also the fastest growing religion.

Please use this to educate yourself.

Hitler has only gone about 90 years with most people in the world knowing about him, so that's definitely less than the number of people who have known of Jesus historically.

Quick google search:

"It is estimated that the world population reached one billion for the first time in 1804. It was another 123 years before it reached two billion in 1927, but it took only 33 years to reach three billion in 1960."

Depends on who's more famous in Asia between Hitler and Jesus.

Cocaloch

This is probably the best list in this thread.

Religious figure is a toss up between Jesus and Muhammed. Everything else is on point.

Religious figure clearly goes to Jesus. There are more Christians, secular people are probably more likely to know Jesus if they only know one due to the culture of places with large numbers of secular people, and Jesus is a major figure in Islam.

Brakke

Banned
Quick google search:

"It is estimated that the world population reached one billion for the first time in 1804. It was another 123 years before it reached two billion in 1927, but it took only 33 years to reach three billion in 1960."

Depends on who's more famous in Asia between Hitler and Jesus.

Yeah the trick is population growth and distribution. Jesus was a big deal for a long time but most of the geographical world didn't know about him until like 1500 and European colonialism gets cooking in earnest. Hitler was relevant to most of the world from the word "go".

But however you cut it, its real hard to imagine any answer other than Jesus.

Ghandi
Mao
Hitler
Genghis khan
Kublai khan
Stalin
MLK
Lenin
George Washington.
Muhammad

Probably a bunch of east and south Asian leaders I don't know about since my school only taught European and American history.

Kublai Khan, MLK and George Washington are not more well known than Caesar. Come on.

bitbydeath

Santa if we're taking kids into the equation.

Many young kids wouldn't have heard of Jesus or Mohammed unless their parents are of X religion.

ccbfan

Kublai Khan, MLK and George Washington are not more well known than Caesar. Come on.

George Washington is not historically better-known than Caesar.

You guys greatly over estimate how well Caesar is know in east and South Asia. (Again too Eurocentric) You know by far the most populated area in the world?

GW is on the most famous currency in the world and he's the father of the only remaining world power. Ask 100 Chinese people who gw is and over half will know. Ask those same 100 Caesar and 10 if you're lucky.

Kublai is actually a huge figure in Asian history. While his grandfather is the more well known khan in western culture, kublai was the first emperor of the yuan dynasty.

MLK could go either way. I put him up there cause he's more relavent in modern times.

mavo

Banned
You guys greatly over estimate how well Caesar is know in east and South Asia. (Again too Eurocentric) You know by far the most populated area in the world?

GW is on the most famous currency in the world and he's the father of the only remaining world power. Ask 100 Chinese people who gw is and over half will know. Ask those same 100 Caesar and 10 if you're lucky.

Kublai is actually a huge figure in Asian history. While his grandfather is the more well known khan in western culture, kublai was the first emperor of the yuan dynasty.

MLK could go either way. I put him up there cause he's more relavent in modern times.

I have my doubts on people being able to name all the people on their own national currency bills, let alone people who live thousands of miles away.

Obama, Bush and Trump are all probably more famous than Washington.

this ginger right here

mMPW7oG.jpg

No one can ever give him up or let him down.

just that picture alone has you humming the words.

ccbfan

I have my doubts on people being able to name all the people on their own national currency bills, let alone people who live thousands of miles away.

Obama, Bush and Trump are all probably more famous than Washington.

Honestly they might be but that does change the fact that few in China knows who Julius Caesar is.

Caesars fame comes from western media. Aka his relationship with cleopatra in media and Shakespeare. Both are relatively unknown in east and South Asia.

Brakke

Banned
Julius does have a whole dang month. I bet the name "Washington" has cache even if people don't know about him. That boy's got a city!

581b3ddc09291a771826344ad327edff.jpg

Lisa Gherardini, perhaps?

Sure, she's known as 'Mona Lisa' to the vast, vast majority. But Jesus wouldn't have been known as 'Jesus' 2000 years ago, so that seems insufficient grounds to rule her out.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
581b3ddc09291a771826344ad327edff.jpg

Lisa Gherardini, perhaps?

Sure, she's known as 'Mona Lisa' to the vast, vast majority. But Jesus wouldn't have been known as 'Jesus' 2000 years ago, so that seems insufficient grounds to rule her out.

I'm not sure if you're serious with this or not, but I agree she's got to be up there. Wouldn't have thought about it, but now that you mention it most people have likely seen an image of the Mona Lisa at some point in their life.

Also I'm a huge history nerd, from a Western nation, and there's no way Caesar cracks the top five here or worldwide.

Apzu

I really find it hard to believe that a western or western related historical figure is the most famous person in history. Almost half of the world's population lives in east and southeast asia, if we consider India then we probably have more than half, so it would probably be some historical figure from Asia. I think Mao Zedong and the Khans would probably be more famous than Caesar at least. Are we even sure that most asian schools teach anything about the romans?

Julius does have a whole dang month. I bet the name "Washington" has cache even if people don't know about him. That boy's got a city!
So does Augustus if we go by month criteria. Also month's name are enterely dependant on language, chinese and japanese use numbers for months so july is just the month 7, so Caesar doesn't get much of an advantage just from that.

massoluk

Banned
Uhh actually how about Buddha, known by majority of East and Southeast Asia, including 1st and 2nd most populous countries

Brakke

Banned
I really find it hard to believe that a western or western related historical figure is the most famous person in history. Almost half of the world's population lives in east and southeast asia, if we consider India then we probably have more than half, so it would probably be some historical figure from Asia. I think Mao Zedong and the Khans would probably be more famous than Caesar at least. Are we even sure that most asian schools teach anything about the romans

Yeah but "Asia" is a pretty heterogeneous place. Sure Mao's a big deal in China. But is he in India? "Western" figures have the advantage of appearing or getting referenced in Western media, which gets exported further than, say, Malaysian media does.

TwelveJaguars

Neo Member
It's Jesus. An argument for anyone else is like discussing which star is brightest while the sun is up (No pun intended). He's penetrated every culture, there are governments and moral structures that rest on his ideas. We count years by him. People who don't even think he existed use his name 20 times a day as an exclamation and give each other presents on his birthday. No contest.

Jesus and Muhammed were actually real people? I thought they were characters in the bible, not actually real people.

If this was most famous literary works Bible etc.

It's like someone giving Batman as an answer.

bionic77

Jesus and Muhammed were actually real people? I thought they were characters in the bible, not actually real people.

I was trying to have the most ignorant post in this thread but I see that I have my work cut out for me.

massoluk

Banned

Jesus was real, he was in Roman official document as some cult leader, some people are drunk when they said he is fake. Mohammed existence was not even a doubt, dude.

Edit: giving real answer to joke questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom