• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 Coming to the West for Nintendo Switch

The dog will never leave my team. Ever.

Only played 1 and a bit of 2, honestly don't know what I want out of the series going forward.

Great news :)

But if they are coming to Switch maybe we could also get remaster of VC3 for it (well honestly any excuse for western release of 3 would be good)

Dunki

This thread is very misleading at first I thought it was exclusive^^

But since it not coming to steam I guess Valkyria Chronicles 1 was not a huge success on PC sales wise. Still a new Valkyria will be great.

This thread is very misleading at first I thought it was exclusive^^

But since it not coming to steam I guess Valkyria Chronicles 1 was not a huge success on PC sales wise. Still a new Valkyria will be great.

VC1 sold nearly 1mil on PC. Of course it's been at bargain bin prices multiple times including being in a Humble Bundle but it's still a large number.

Dunki

VC1 sold nearly 1mil on PC. Of course it's been at bargain bin prices multiple times including being in a Humble Bundle but it's still a large number.

Ok then I do not know why it wa not announced except maybe cash in twice. 1 Million is a lot.

And for the record I am not requesitng a steam version I just find it strange that there was no PC announcement if sales were so good.

Koppai

I never played the PS3 game but I bought the remaster for PS4 and havent played it either. Will grab the Switch version probably :)

sublimit

Banned
Finally!! This is one of my dream games that i've been waiting for sooooo long!

But WTF with the misleading thread's title??It's coming for PS4 and XB1 as well. I hope a mod change it to PS4/XB1/Switch soon.

TaroYamada

Ok then I do not know why it wa not announced except maybe cash in twice. 1 Million is a lot.

And for the record I am not requesitng a steam version I just find it strange that there was no PC announcement if sales were so good.

It will come to PC.

dudu0609

Neo Member
Late to know this announcement.
And HELL YEAH for the Xbox One version. Will buy it on day one. Hope it gets some X enhancements.
[Am I the only one feel surprised and excited for Xbox One version?]

synce

I'll reserve hype until it's confirmed to be like the first game and not any of the mess that followed

sublimit

Banned
About

It is the year 1935 EC...

The continent of Europa is engulfed in the flames of the Second Europan War between the Atlantic Federation and the Autocratic Eastern Imperial Alliance. Although the Federation struggles valiantly against the Empire's forces, the relentless imperial military machine threatens to consume them. With victory slipping away, the Federation executes Operation Northern Cross: a last-ditch attempt to capture the imperial capital and end the war.

Commander Claude Wallace and his loyal childhood friends in Squad E are sent to fight for the desperate operation's success, but they will have to endure harsh bone-chilling elements, waves of imperial soldiers, and the terrifying Valkyria... and unravel a grave truth that will shake them to the core.

Key Features

A Coming-of-Age Story in a Time of War – Valkyria Chronicles 4 takes place in the same timeframe as the original Valkyria Chronicles, but focuses on a whole new cast of main characters. Players will take command of the eager, young Commander Claude Wallace, engineer/heavy weapons extraordinaire Riley Miller, hotheaded Darcsen Raz, ice-cold ace sniper Kai Schulen, and more. Together, they will experience the painful realities of war–but will the bonds of Squad E's friendships survive the frozen battlefield?

The Next Generation ”BLiTZ" Battle System – The part overhead turn-based strategy, part RPG, and part real-time 3rd person shooter ”BLiTZ" battle system returns to the field. New features include an explosive new class called the Grenadier, numerous offensive/defensive battleship support options, chances for a unit to have a ”Last Stand" action before death, and more. Plus, fight the imperial threat with more units on larger-scale maps than ever before.

CANVAS Aesthetics – The series' signature hand-drawn visual style is back and overhauled for the newest generation. Inspired by watercolor compositions, the CANVAS Graphics Engine blends visual elements of reality and imagination to create an expressive world filled with colorful emotions. Watch the journey of Squad E unfold like an interactive painting!

The Return of a Legendary Composer – The illustrious Hitoshi Sakimoto, original composer of the Valkyria Chronicles series and countless other emotional epics, returns to provide a sweeping orchestral soundtrack for the game.

PS4 Version Limited Edition
The ”10th Anniversary Memorial Pack" limited edition will include the following:

-A copy of Valkyria Chronicles 4 for PlayStation 4
-A product code for the additional story downloadable content ”Joint Operation with Squad 7" – A story in which Squad 7 from the original Valkyria Chronicles appears. By playing this downloadable content, the Edelweiss operated by Welkin Gunther, as well as Alicia Melchiot, Largo Potter, and Brigitte ”Rosie" Stark will be made available in the main story of Valkyria Chronicles 4. Additionally, Isara Gunther can be acquired as a unit for the first time.
-10th Anniversary Soundtrack – A CD containing a selection of music from the series' four titles.
-10th Anniversary Illustration Book – A booklet filled with illustrations from the series' four titles. The front cover illustration is done by Raita Honjou. It is B5-size and 72 pages long.

PS4 Version First-Print Purchase Bonus

First-print copies of Valkyria Chronicles 4 for PlayStation 4 in Japan will include the additional mission downloadable content, ”Preemptive Special Tactics." By clearing this mission, you can use Edy Nelson from the original Valkyria Chronicles as a unit in the main story.
More details about the characters in the link:
https://gematsu.com/2017/11/valkyria-chronicles-4-announced-ps4-xbox-one-switch

Cool news but not particularly exciting until we know more about the game and its development. If you take one look at the screenshots you'd think it just rolled off the assembly line - nothing about it stands out to me.

It's been ten years since the last console Valkyria Chronicles game and I fear things may have moved on a bit too much. I suspect Media Vision are developing.

Either way I hope the game is great and proves its need to exist, looking forward to playing it.

Xbox One release is a nice surprise. Perhaps Valkyria Revolution met sales expectations? Or, as we say about Switch games, passed the test?

RPGCrazied

Never finished the first game, got super hard. But this is great news. I wish they would remaster 2 & 3, but this says it has new characters so knowledge of 2 & 3 might not be required.

Bolivar687

Banned
The first two are among my favorite games ever. I wish they continued the focus on Gallia caught in the middle and didn't make the Federation into good guys but it's fine.

Wish I could get this on PC but I'm glad it's at least coming home to PlayStation. I nearly had a heart attack when I read the thread title.

Cool news but not particularly exciting until we know more about the game and its development. If you take one look at the screenshots you'd think it just rolled off the assembly line - nothing about it stands out to me.

It's been ten years since the last console Valkyria Chronicles game and I fear things may have moved on a bit too much. I suspect Media Vision are developing.

Either way I hope the game is great and proves its need to exist, looking forward to playing it.

Mediavision have made some great games that I have enjoyed.

First thought was 'finally got your head out of the sand, Bandai Namco!', then realized this is a Sega-title sigh

Anyway, great news, and like most fans I hope it more closely resembles VC1. Although with less bs missions, please.

Burn0ut

Neo Member
Very good news

But why only mention Switch? This way we might get a separate topic for each console for the same game.

WolfStark

I never understood the actions of japanese publishers/developers, their business strategies make way too often zero sense. Their licencing system in general is crap. The Valkyria Chronicles series is a prime example. First game sold solid but they wanted better sales in Japan and since handhelds are bigger Japan, the second title came for the PSP. The result was, that the title sold worse in the west and the third Valkyria Chronicles didn't even reached the USA and Europe anymore. Considering there wasn't another Valkyria game for six years, they effectively run the brand aground and the japanese numbers had to be pretty underperforming.

At least the fourth game will be released multiplatform and hopefully PC follows (I don't own any of the three). I was very happy about this news but I am honest, the game itself doesn't look that exciting. I am more talking about design and characters here, both is looking pretty boring, not very cool or fresh, especially the main character. I really don't get why japanese developers think that such stereotypical male main characters would anyone find interesting. All in all Valkyria Chronicles 3 had a way better style (Imca is best girl). Nevertheless, I am looking forward to the story and the gameplay, because the series was great in both parts, this also opens up the possibility on a western release of the third game and further sequels. It's great to have a traditional Valkyria Chronicles back after so many years, really looking forward to it!

Wow, it's almost been 10 years since the original...time flies. I actually loved the first 2 VC games but the original is just special. Can't wait play this. Day 1 cop

The first two are among my favorite games ever. I wish they continued the focus on Gallia caught in the middle and didn't make the Federation into good guys but it's fine.

Wish I could get this on PC but I'm glad it's at least coming home to PlayStation. I nearly had a heart attack when I read the thread title.

The Federation is the only side that lacked any sympathetic portrayal in the series, in fairness. Selvaria's DLC humanised the Empire while reminding us that there were bad elements among the Gallian forces.

blackjon24

Looks a little uninspiring to be honest. The series hasn't evolved much visually since its debut 10 years ago! Not feeling the new character designs either.. is this media vision again?

If its a return to form in terms of gameplay i'm there day one though! I feel bad for pc gamers they really supported this game when it came out on steam. Maybe they want to release later hoping for double dippers.

If its a return to form in terms of gameplay i'm there day one though! I feel bad for pc gamers they really supported this game when it came out on steam. Maybe they want to release later hoping for double dippers.

A lot of japanise publishers bring pc version later probably in hopes of double dipping.

arhra

I mean, this is the same company that made an Xbox One version of Puyo Puyo Tetris, and only ever released it in Japan.

Don't even try to make sense of their decisions.

Top Bottom