• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoku's Island Express, an 'Open World Pinball Adventure', is Coming to Switch

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...inball_adventure_is_coming_to_nintendo_switch

In the past few weeks there's been a pleasing trend of download developers including the Nintendo Switch in their multi-platform release plans. No doubt helped along by the system's support of Unity and Unreal Engine 4, some studios in the Indie space are embracing Nintendo's upcoming system.

The latest to do so is Villa Gorilla, a development team based in Stockholm (Sweden). Yoku's Island Express is an 'Open World Pinball Adventure', combining exploration with some rather clever-looking mechanics. You can see a description and trailer below.

Yoku's Island Express is an open world/metroidvania-style pinball adventure, Seamlessly blending platform navigation with pinball mechanics across a large open world. Yoku the dung beetle sets foot on the beach of Mokumana Island, ready to take on the duties as the new postman. But the ancient island God is trapped in a restless sleep and the islanders are plagued by quakes and storms brought forth by its nightmares. Yoku's Island Express is a unique and quirky adventure with handcrafted visuals, where you'll soar through the air, vacuum explosive snails, fight a Screetch, feed starving lemurs, discover the mystery of the Fruit Altar, wake an old god, and hopefully help tiny Yoku rebuild the island post-office.

It's not due for release until Winter 2017/2018 but certainly looks rather promising. We're looking forward to it 'rolling out', in any case.

LordKano

Puzzled at the title, but once I saw the trailer/screenshot it made more sense
large.jpg

TheMoon

I read this as Yoshi's Island

I was not the only one who read that as ''Yoshi's Island'' was it?

EDIT: Clearly not lol

Could have sworn I read Yoshi's.

For a second there, I read it was "Yoshi's Island" and I was like "WHAT". lol

Cucurbitacée;230654972 said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who read Yoshi's Island. My irrational love for pinball will make me have an eye on this one.

So did I. I kept looking for a freaking Yoshi in the video.

also read yoshi's island! :(

still the game looks nice

...I'm glad I wasn't the only one who read it as Yoshi's Island.

8dfcyndabs7m.png

Seriously, the devs must be high-fiving each other like crazy.

zigg

I've got a soft spot for pinball mashups, despite being barely passable at pinball. Going to keep my eye on this one.

Yoshi doubletake got me to look, but I like what I see on its own merits. A novel take on the platformer that seems part Sonic, part Ori

Nice, I'm really liking the look of some of those indie platformers this year, like Yooka-Laylee, Snake Pass and this. I was never very fond of the 16-bit style. It seems really fun. Hope the level design lives up to the concept's potential.

HotHamBoy

Nice, I'm really liking the look of some of those indie platformers this year, like Yooka-Laylee, Snake Pass and this. I was never very fond of the 16-bit style. It seems really fun. Hope the level design lives up to the concept's potential.

That and the physics will be critical. Rollers of the Realm was a nice idea but the playfields and objectives were bland and boring.

Vormund

I think the question at this point is who DIDN'T read it as Yoshi's Island.

Anyway, the game looks interesting.

Top Bottom