• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Sony developing Android 3.0 powered PSP-Go like phone. [Update: Post 472]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not be surprised if future PS consoles run Android some kind of Google OS. I don't see how it is a bad idea. It is obvious Sony needs help on the software side of things.

Callibretto said:
no it isn't. the problem with PSP is that for some reason, no one want to buy PSP hardware. the games are not the problem. I've seen so many post saying they wish psp games are on psn instead or that ps3 allow for psp emulation.

We're talking about 60M of consoles. It seems that any amount of sales is a failure if they aren't able to catch the numbers of DS (that is a console with a much bigger target).

What are the max numbers of consoles sold in any non-Nintendo portable consoles? Probably PSP beat the combined sales of all of them.

The Take Out Bandit said:
How is "this this this" not piracy? :|

It doesn't matter what the game is the meme will be "PSP has no games".

Meanwhile everybody is stealing "no games". :lol

I don't see the point of this, but Sony is just crazy town now. Let's just hope that if it's not a new PSP proper, that the stink of it's failure doesn't further reduce the potential appeal of the brand.

On the other hand, for some reason I could see this potentially being appealing to Japan. PSP + mobile phone for playing MOnster Hunter, then tweeting upskirt photos from the subway. </Japan>

Because the DS wasn't much harder to pirate games for.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Battery is gonna be a concern.

These smartphones are quite hungry already, add in daily gaming and things could get ugly.

Anyways, wait and see.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I think a lot of people fail to realize and Android PSP doesnt have to be a phone.

There could be one with a phone, and one without a phone at different price ranges.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Maybe not related, but Sony Erricsson CEO Bert Nordberg was asked in Atlanta where he saw the phone industry going, what the next big phone on the market would be, what the next big development technology wise would be.

He said:

"We have a big surprise coming up in the next few months. We never announce them in advance, sorry."

http://www.globalatlanta.com/articlevid/24237/1121/

Hmmm.

My picture of what Sony is doing is very fuzzy, there seems to be all kinds of apparently conflicting signals.

Vinci

Danish
gofreak said:
Hmmm.

My picture of what Sony is doing is very fuzzy, there seems to be all kinds of apparently conflicting signals.

Nah, you're just adequately reading their minds.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Vinci said:
Nah, you're just adequately reading their minds.

I say 'apparently' for a reason :p

I don't think it's that there isn't a coherent explanation for all these different murmurings (assuming they're in fact true), but there so are many possible permutations that's it hard to speculate on which is the correct one.

If per the Engadget rumour this PSP-phone is a new platform - not PSP hardware built into a phone, or not PS1 games running on a phone - that suggests it is in fact a variant of PSP2. I think it must in that case. I don't think they could be two separate platforms.

What leaves me wondering is the relationship with Android in light of Dille's comments about proprietary experiences exclusive to Sony devices etc.

Maybe the PSP-Phone supports Android and PSP2 platforms, but the PSP2 itself has nothing to do with Android? This is perhaps the cleanest explanation. (Though it contradicts parts of Endgadget's rumour about collaborating with Google on the gaming side).

Brinbe

PistolGrip said:
I think a lot of people fail to realize and Android PSP doesnt have to be a phone.

There could be one with a phone, and one without a phone at different price ranges.
Yep, I'd definitely be interested in the non-phone option. Just having the Android option there is a plus though.

AndyD

aka andydumi
gofreak said:
Maybe the PSP-Phone supports Android and PSP2 platforms, but the PSP2 itself has nothing to do with Android? This is perhaps the cleanest explanation. (Though it contradicts parts of Endgadget's rumour about collaborating with Google on the gaming side).

Do you think maybe in a dual boot type method with two OSes one for PSP games one Android? Or are you thinking more that the PSP software runs in Android on dedicated Sony hardware only, thus the need for collaboration?

Sort of PSP app does not start if it does detect a certain hardware chip only Sony devices will have.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The other somewhat interesting thing about Nordberg's comments in that video at that link is how much he focuses on entertainment as the differentiator for Sony Ericcsson phones. And how the reason to buy their phone is the exclusive content and applications they can give you access to via their relationship with Sony.

Now, I know they've been building 'walkman' into their phones, but I'm not sure that really qualifies as exclusive content. Building the next-gen playstation portable into some of their phones, on the other hand...that would offer a point of real differentiation, and would certainly boost the claim to be entertainment orientated. And they could possibly do this relatively cheaply if there's a reasonable degree of overlap in the components Sony picks for PSP2 and the components SE might pick for future higher end Android phones.

AndyD said:
Do you think maybe in a dual boot type method with two OSes one for PSP games one Android? Or are you thinking more that the PSP software runs in Android on dedicated Sony hardware only, thus the need for collaboration?

In that example I'm thinking of separate platforms. However, maybe the 'collaboration' cited in the Engadget article is about building in convenient shortcuts and hooks between the platforms on these phones.

AndyD

aka andydumi
gofreak said:
The other somewhat interesting thing about Nordberg's comments in that video at that link is how much he focuses on entertainment as the differentiator for Sony Ericcsson phones. And how the reason to buy their phone is the exclusive content and applications they can give you access to via their relationship with Sony.

Now, I know they've been building 'walkman' into their phones, but I'm not sure that really qualifies as exclusive content. Building the next-gen playstation portable into some of their phones, on the other hand...that would offer a point of real differentiation, and would certainly boost the claim to be entertainment orientated. And they could possibly do this relatively cheaply if there's a reasonable degree of overlap in the components Sony picks for PSP2 and the components SE might pick for future higher end Android phones.
They could add remote use for the PS3, or the PSN store/Qriocity with the video/music offerings.

In that example I'm thinking of separate platforms. However, maybe the 'collaboration' cited in the Engadget article is about building in convenient shortcuts and hooks between the platforms on these phones.

How could you have hooks when only one is booted at a time? Or do you mean read each other's files, as in boot Android and it knows to look at your save files and manage friends lists, trophies, invites...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AndyD said:
How could you have hooks when only one is booted at a time? Or do you mean read each other's files, as in boot Android and it knows to look at your save files and manage friends lists, trophies, invites...

Stuff like that or simply just shortcutting into a PSP2 game directly. Dunno though, just speculating on what collaboration SE might do with Google if the games platform is unrelated from Android itself.

AndyD said:
They could add remote use for the PS3, or the PSN store/Qriocity with the video/music offerings.

I think the latter are kind of weak-ish points of differentiation though. Every phone - or at least their big competitor - has music and video services that would offer the same range of content etc.

Anyway, just listening to him talk about that, it's hard for him to sound credible about the advantage of the Sony relationship while Sony's crown jewel - in terms of proprietary entertainment - is off limits to them.

spwolf

gofreak said:

they did really well with cybershot and walkman brands in Europe... their problem was that they stopped working on smart phone phones for a while, exactly before they got really popular.

I dont think they can implement Playstation as good as they managed to implement Cybershot and Walkman, without it being worked on by Playstation division.

There is also an point of lowest common denominator - Top phones unlocked usually cost $600 , while PSP/DS can not be priced more than $250. As such, an phone can have better hardware than game console, simply because it is subsidized by carriers.

Thats why you can not compare hardware of 3DS with Iphone4 - one costs $200-250, and other $600-$700.

thcsquad

The Take Out Bandit said:
On the other hand, for some reason I could see this potentially being appealing to Japan. PSP + mobile phone for playing MOnster Hunter, then tweeting upskirt photos from the subway. </Japan>

Yeah, a PSPhone done right could become Japan's version of the iPhone.

Vinci

Danish
thcsquad said:

Does Japan not have access to the iPhone? I haven't been there for several years. I know it's tough as shit to get one in China, but Japan shouldn't be an issue.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
spwolf said:
they did really well with cybershot and walkman brands in Europe... their problem was that they stopped working on smart phone phones for a while, exactly before they got really popular.

I dont think they can implement Playstation as good as they managed to implement Cybershot and Walkman, without it being worked on by Playstation division.

I think SCE would own the implementation here - i.e. the phone would run the PSP2 OS when in PSP2 mode or whatever, which SCE would be entirely responsible for. I can't see SE being allowed to run off to make their own Playstation branded games platform, given the same discretion as they were with walkman etc.

PSGames

gofreak said:
Stuff like that or simply just shortcutting into a PSP2 game directly. Dunno though, just speculating on what collaboration SE might do with Google if the games platform is unrelated from Android itself.

I think the latter are kind of weak-ish points of differentiation though. Every phone - or at least their big competitor - has music and video services that would offer the same range of content etc.

Anyway, just listening to him talk about that, it's hard for him to sound credible about the advantage of the Sony relationship while Sony's crown jewel - in terms of proprietary entertainment - is off limits to them.

I really doubt they'd be seperate. It would be stupid to not allow easy access to all of Android's features like Maps, Gmail, GPS, Web Browser, etc... I think it would make more sense to skin Android and allow access to PSP2 games from there.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PSGames said:
I really doubt they'd be seperate. It would be stupid to not allow easy access to all of Android's features like Maps, Gmail, GPS, Web Browser, etc... I think it would make more sense to skin Android and allow access to PSP2 games from there.

That's what I mean by shortcuts.

I think they might collaborate with Google on modifications to Android to give as seamless access to the PSP2 stuff as possible.

But I mean from beyond the user's perspective, for developers, for Sony, the platforms would be separate. It would run its own OS, have some proprietary hardware requirements etc.

AndyD

aka andydumi
gofreak said:
That's what I mean by shortcuts.

I think they might collaborate with Google on modifications to Android to give as seamless access to the PSP2 stuff as possible.

But I mean from beyond the user's perspective, for developers, for Sony, the platforms would be separate. It would run its own OS, have some proprietary hardware requirements etc.

Right. So they can release a PSP2 games and Android media/apps only at a lower price point, or also have it available on flagship Sony Android phones, which could arguably have higher spec hardware anyway and are/can be subsidized in cost.

Bitmap Frogs said:
Battery is gonna be a concern.

These smartphones are quite hungry already, add in daily gaming and things could get ugly.

Anyways, wait and see.

My Galaxy S lasts way longer than any PSP iteration and the screen is about a million times better.

I just hope the Snapdragon part of the rumour is complete BS. Using a Qualcomm GPU for a gaming handheld would would be such a dumbfounding decision.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
My Galaxy S lasts way longer than any PSP iteration and the screen is about a million times better.

yeah but it doesn't when you actually play hardwarehungry games or watch movies.
of course it lasts longer when you use it as a phone.

jonnybryce said:
Well where this becomes messy is currently Android must = phone for the Android market and Google apps. Without those things there's little reason to make it run Android.

It does currently but that is obviously going to change very soon. I don't mind the idea of having Android functionality "bundled in" with the next PSP, so long as there's an iteration which isn't an actual phone and the gaming part is segmented off from the smartphone side.

If developers have to use the standard high level, none gaming focused Android development environment and this thing comes with a shitty ass Qualcom GPU then its going to be terrible as a gaming device though. Much worse graphics than 3DS games, much lower battery life than the 3DS when playing games and a much higher pricepoint. All it would have over standard Android devices in that case would be gaming controls, gaming controls on a device that is multiple times slower than several currently available Android handsets in 3D games. Yeah, no thanks.

brain_stew said:
In high end 3D games!?

Didn't consider that :)

To be fair though, the screen does sap a good 80% of the battery most of the time.

iamaustrian said:
yeah but it doesn't when you actually play hardwarehungry games or watch movies.
of course it lasts longer when you use it as a phone.

If you just use it as a phone, with power saving and proper sleep modes in place, it can easily last 2-3 days on a single charge.

Using 3G is the real power sapper i've found.

KtSlime

thcsquad said:
The iPhone is Japans version of the iPhone. Not a day goes by where one of my friends from Japanese university doesn't switch to an iPhone. Although I could be wrong and maybe it's just the 19-25 yo crowd buying them.

gofreak said:

This is the only way they could execute this without the gaming portion being a complete clusterfuck. The standard Android environment just doesn't lend itself well to a dedicated gaming device. That's not a knock against Android, its just not something it was ever designed for.

ivedoneyourmom said:
The iPhone is Japans version of the iPhone. Not a day goes by where one of my friends from Japanese university doesn't switch to an iPhone. Although I could be wrong and maybe it's just the 19-25 yo crowd being them.

quick question.. which sold better at launch in Japan, the xperia 10 or the iphone?

Jenga

Banned
Makes sense they'd salvage PSP2 into a smart-phone. Honestly, I really don't see how the PSP2 could compete head-on with the 3DS. With the IPhone becoming much less popular as all this new phone competition comes out, I think Sony is acting smart.

It also justifies a high price for a gaming machine. My roommate just spent $300 on an HTC Evo. He'd probably do the same for a PSP2 phone.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Re. the job posting from the previous page...are we sure it wasn't just for the PlayTV team for example? They might want to make an Android client that remote plays recorded content from your PS3 for example.

If it really was for general network stuff, then it maybe fits with the idea of Android and PSP2 'sitting seperate close together' on a SE device. Maybe I'm thinking wishfully, but if that was the case, you'd hope for reasonably tight ways to bounce between the two. I could foresee a need or desire for PSN software running in the background while you're in Android-land, to deliver PSN messages to you, alert you to invites and join games seamlessly etc. To keep you connected to PSN even while not in PSP2-mode. THAT would be ideal, and would be a good thing for Sony to work on if they wanted to put both platforms on one device.

On the other hand...Sony...game network services...yeah... :\

Kuran

Banned
Jenga said:
Makes sense they'd salvage PSP2 into a smart-phone. Honestly, I really don't see how the PSP2 could compete head-on with the 3DS. With the IPhone becoming much less popular as all this new phone competition comes out, I think Sony is acting smart.

It also justifies a high price for a gaming machine. My roommate just spent $300 on an HTC Evo. He'd probably do the same for a PSP2 phone.

Why does someone always have to say stuff like this..

Fine, have it your way, no PSP2. Enjoy your 3DS only portable future.

Another 6 years with PSP level graphics, albeit with fancy shaders and 3D view.

KtSlime

Byakuya769 said:
quick question.. which sold better at launch in Japan, the xperia 10 or the iphone?
Probably the xperia, however I don't know. Never checked, nor do I know anyone with an xperia. I can only guess that, because it seems you are trying to call me out on my anecdotal evidence. However my response will be, are we talking the first gen iPhone, or the 4? It sometimes takes japan a while to warm up to some products.

Jenga said:

The popularity of iOS devices is going nowhere but north. Android adoption is just accelerating at a faster pace is all, but that was always inevitable given its open nature. Apple may be able to outsell any phone manufacturer individually but when SE, Samsung, HTC, Motorola and all the rest are developing for the same platform ofcourse its impossible for them to keep up.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jenga said:
Makes sense they'd salvage PSP2 into a smart-phone. Honestly, I really don't see how the PSP2 could compete head-on with the 3DS.

I don't think Sony would only make 'PSP2' available on SE phones.

My bet right now is that there's a PSP2 as you would expect - with its own dedicated device - but SE is also being allowed to incorporate it into its devices. So that you'll be able to buy a regular PSP2 or a PSP2 that also happens to be a Android Xperia or whatever.

It's probably the most sensible approach for Sony to take that continues their business as usual while allowing them to make an offering to those parts of their target audience that are being tempted away by smartphones.

Jenga

Banned
Kuran said:
Why does someone always have to say stuff like this..

Fine, have it your way, no PSP2. Enjoy your 3DS only portable future.
how does thinking the PSP2 cannot compete head-on with the 3ds equal not wanting to be the psp2 to be successful?

:lol

i don't give a fuck anymore really. I'm just commenting on how Sony is doing the smart thing by opening their handheld market to more people.

yurinka

DangerousDave said:
We're talking about 60M of consoles. It seems that any amount of sales is a failure if they aren't able to catch the numbers of DS (that is a console with a much bigger target).

What are the max numbers of consoles sold in any non-Nintendo portable consoles? Probably PSP beat the combined sales of all of them.
Yes, you're right. I posted these numbers here some time ago:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22538340&postcount=167

As I remember in TGS Sony said they sold 62M PSPs:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...ny-Boss-Talks-Numbers-Hardware-and-White-PS3s

When comparing PSP vs DS, people forgets (or don't know) DS is by far the best selling portable gaming device in history, even considering mobile phones.

I think they consider PSP a failure because it didn't reached a giant market share / install base like PS1 or PS2 did when comparing to its "rivals".

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/the-playstation-phone/

engadgetpspphone7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom