• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Psyonix finally confirmed they're gonna start retiring crates, starting with all the Champions crates with the next update. I wonder if we'll see their value increase a bit.

rafaelr

The smurfing in unranked has really gotten out of hand at this point. About 9 in 10 games of unranked are against a team of 3, two of which are usually expert rank clearly by rank resetting. The match ends the same way every time too. Within a minute both other players on my team leave and I'm left with AI as people cycle infinitely never staying for more than 20 seconds. Or a can leave to and begin the cycle anew.

It's actually making me tempted to just reset my own rank so I can stay out of their damn way for a match once in a while, but then I get the feeling I'll only run into teams where all 3 have reset instead. It's getting to the point where I might just play rumble when I want a few chilled out matches, but that's not the mode I'm actually looking to play :/

noticed that too. i hardly ever get a lobby where all 6 players stay for several matches (let alone 1) because everybody was around the same level and the games were even and challenging and just a real blast. it used to be pretty common and it was one of the best things about rl imo.

on that note, i´d love an option where you could opt into sort of a round robin with all the current players in the lobby. after each game the players could be mixed anew and after all the games are done you could see how everyone did (like johnnyboi_i sometimes does in his videos).

My god some of the people on this game! Some guy accuses me of being a match leaver and claims I just abandoned him in the last match whilst going on a tirade all through the game. I was kinda having dinner before that so fuck knows who he played with but it sure wasn't me. But then he attempts to add me on Steam after the game to continue his tirade? I don't know what else he expected but to be blocked.

noticed that too. i hardly ever get a lobby where all 6 players stay for several matches (let alone 1) because everybody was around the same level and the games were even and challenging and just a real blast. it used to be pretty common and it was one of the best things about rl imo.

on that note, i´d love an option where you could opt into sort of a round robin with all the current players in the lobby. after each game the players could be mixed anew and after all the games are done you could see how everyone did (like johnnyboi_i sometimes does in his videos).

Yeah I really like how he does that personally. Kinda reminds me of some fighting game lobbies where you were in a pool of players. Something like that might actually encourage players to stay in a lobby for more than a single game.

Is there a reason why Psyonix isn't on the Steam market? I feel like it would take a lot of the sketch out of trades.

Gambling was a big part of it. This is when all those websites were getting taken down because of CSGO gambling, When you are able to put stuff on the merketplace then website can set up trading bots and gambling.

J. Bravo

No internet until tomorrow. Thanks for striking at&t. I miss rocket league :(

Who lives in San Diego and wants to let me come over and play!!! Lmao

Majukun

i know i'm not a great player,but i really can't understand how some people play this game.
seems that concepts like teamwork,position and decisoon making don't matter for a big part of the players around the "gold" part of the ladder...once you drop down there, it's a lottery whatever you get a winnable game,or an unwinnable one .

also,maybe i'm the wrong one and someone can explain it to me..but what's the point of being the guy on the goal during the kick off, and leave the goal to go get the super-charger of the booster located on the corner..leaving the goal completely empty for a rebound to enter? I mean,you start in front of a boost charger...yes it's not a full one..but by the time it's your turn to leave the goal and change position with a teammate,your boost will be already fully charged..and if not i think 60%+ of the boost fiulled it's more than enough to do whatever you think you can do....

i know i'm not a great player,but i really can't understand how some people play this game.
seems that concepts like teamwork,position and decisoon making don't matter for a big part of the players around the "gold" part of the ladder...once you drop down there, it's a lottery whatever you get a winnable game,or an unwinnable one .

also,maybe i'm the wrong one and someone can explain it to me..but what's the point of being the guy on the goal during the kick off, and leave the goal to go get the super-charger of the booster located on the corner..leaving the goal completely empty for a rebound to enter? I mean,you start in front of a boost charger...yes it's not a full one..but by the time it's your turn to leave the goal and change position with a teammate,your boost will be already fully charged..and if not i think 60%+ of the boost fiulled it's more than enough to do whatever you think you can do....

I actually wonder this one. I usually cover the goal and see where the ball goes on kick off, wait for the the second hit and see who it favors. If it goes deep into the opponents end of the field that's when I move for corner boost, usually on the opposing side our team is pushing from and cover the midfield. It rarely means waiting for more than a few seconds anyway.

Soulflarz

Banned
position correctly at any rank and you'll go up in rank

don't build bad habits

go for corner boost or cheat, but don't sit in net, you can't save a backboard usually

Majukun

position correctly at any rank and you'll go up in rank

don't build bad habits

go for corner boost or cheat, but don't sit in net, you can't save a backboard usually

if you position correctly but your teammates don't you can't really win..it's a team based game..the moment you rotate to the attack you need someone to cover for you behind,otherwise every rebound can be a counter and a goal taken...

same things for attacks,if you are on the side and instead of staying to the center and wait for a pass for an easy shot you see your teammate come from behind you trying to hit the ball , with the only result that a single hit from an opponent takes down not only you but him too,leaving open field for a counter, how are you supposed to score?

of course there are players out there that can do a "one man show" and win a match by themselves even when the teammates don't know what "to collaborate" mean, but as i said,i am not such player,but also don't think it's the point of the game..if i wanna play solo,i'll go 1 vs 1..if one chooses a 2v2 or a 3v3 shuldn't i expect o find people willing to play with a team and not by themselves? or to not chase the ball like a madman?

for the protect the goal one..i can say i disagree, i think you are way more useful on the goal to protect it from unlucky rebounds during the kickoff than to the side to get a boost that you don't really need...my teams have taken thousands of goal like that,

In 2s I always cheat up now. I tried going for boost but I think I get in less trouble when I cheat, plus I score the occasional goal.

I don't go for every ball off the kickoff though. If it shoots straight to the side and I know it's gonna come way off the wall I usually rotate back for corner boost then assess the situation. If the opponent is there I play defense towards goal, if they aren't I go for the aerial.

Even when you cheat up I think there are some balls that are just stupid to go for. If it's going to come way off the wall or you know your opponent is going to beat you badly I think it's safer to fall back than to make a low % challenge. If you cheat and miss a challenge it's a goal for the other team most of the time, not worth it to me.

Tawpgun

Anyone on Xbone want to trade me for an animated decal, either octane, dominus, or a universal.

I have Zomba, AR 51, and a few neat trails (toon smoke, yellow lightning, hexphase)

Soulflarz

Banned
if you position correctly but your teammates don't you can't really win..it's a team based game..the moment you rotate to the attack you need someone to cover for you behind,otherwise every rebound can be a counter and a goal taken...

same things for attacks,if you are on the side and instead of staying to the center and wait for a pass for an easy shot you see your teammate come from behind you trying to hit the ball , with the only result that a single hit from an opponent takes down not only you but him too,leaving open field for a counter, how are you supposed to score?

of course there are players out there that can do a "one man show" and win a match by themselves even when the teammates don't know what "to collaborate" mean, but as i said,i am not such player,but also don't think it's the point of the game..if i wanna play solo,i'll go 1 vs 1..if one chooses a 2v2 or a 3v3 shuldn't i expect o find people willing to play with a team and not by themselves? or to not chase the ball like a madman?

for the protect the goal one..i can say i disagree, i think you are way more useful on the goal to protect it from unlucky rebounds during the kickoff than to the side to get a boost that you don't really need...my teams have taken thousands of goal like that,

Nah, pretty much objectively correct to grab corner boost or cheat up. If you teammate is losing kickoff that badly hes awful and there's nothing you could've done for it. If you pick a diff option you're at a major disadvantage in the upcoming play.

in 2s and 3s even low rank position correctly, unless you're like, a gc in a match of mid diamonds, just tell your teammates to f off and 1v2 to a rank where they're okay.

Nah, pretty much objectively correct to grab corner boost or cheat up. If you teammate is losing kickoff that badly hes awful and there's nothing you could've done for it. If you pick a diff option you're at a major disadvantage in the upcoming play.

in 2s and 3s even low rank position correctly, unless you're like, a gc in a match of mid diamonds, just tell your teammates to f off and 1v2 to a rank where they're okay.

This is pretty much the reason I hang back an extra second or two. Where I'm at people are trying fast kick offs but still missing them often enough to worry about it. If I run into a team who kickoff consistently I've no issue leaving the net immediately but at my current MMR if I do and someone fails the kickoff it's the keeper who gets the stick for it. I suppose if it is objectively better to go straight for boost I could always switch to it but it gets annoying being smack talked for the players kick off fail.

Soulflarz

Banned
/shrug (drink!)
do what works. I'm confident in my defense enough that I can deal with any situation that isn't a straight roller in

Damn I'm out of drink. I think you shrugged the last of my reserves away last week XD

Yeah I suppose at the end of the day we all find our own way to grow better and adapt over time. It's probably my recovery that concerns me a bit with kickoffs. I'm pretty on point with it but I'll randomly turn into a fish out of water sometimes, usually when screwing with ballcam and recovering like grabbing corner boost. Definitely improving still though despite thinking I hit a wall months ago, or at least I don't get a day where I play like complete trash anymore, just a bit crap instead.

88random

On the first kick off, I always stay around the goal because I don't know with who I'm paired with. If I see that they are decent, on the next one I go for boost/cheat.

Tawpgun

following the player that goes to faceoff so if the ball stays around center area you immediately get the second hit/gain possession.

I generally always do this, not way up but halfway from goal line to center. It is a risk/reward tho. You can get a decent/easy shot on net if you make it there first. The downside is the 50/50 kick off can bounce/roll in a weird way into your net and you won't make it back in time or be caught in an awkward position

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Do you guys not open your crates?

How else am I supposed to get all the cool trails, cars, and decals that I see people with?

Debating buying some white volts before the old crates are taken out of rotation. Dunno if their price will take a hit or not though since they're also in the PCC.

Do you guys not open your crates?

How else am I supposed to get all the cool trails, cars, and decals that I see people with?

Sell those crates for keys and buy the items you want. Or do a mix of both. Personally I sell most and open the odd one or two with keys I've made in trading. Only open the newest crates though since item values plummet pretty fast. The likelihood of actually unboxing what you want is ridiculously small so even if you get something good, personally I'd sell it, even if it IS one you want, because in almost all cases it will be half the price by the time the next crate drops.

There are a very small selection of items that waver a bit but for the most part it's an easy market to predict.

Debating buying some white volts before the old crates are taken out of rotation. Dunno if their price will take a hit or not though since they're also in the PCC.

Sell those crates for keys and buy the items you want. Or do a mix of both. Personally I sell most and open the odd one or two with keys I've made in trading. Only open the newest crates though since item values plummet pretty fast. The likelihood of actually unboxing what you want is ridiculously small so even if you get something good, personally I'd sell it, even if it IS one you want, because in almost all cases it will be half the price by the time the next crate drops.

There are a very small selection of items that waver a bit but for the most part it's an easy market to predict.
They won't go up till PCC is retired as well is my guess.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.

This may be a stupid question, but sell to whom?

Soulflarz

Banned
as pep taught me ages ago, when you cheat, watch the second man. If you're closer than him and the ball gets killed, enjoy your free chip over him.

They won't go up till PCC is retired as well is my guess.

I hope so. People seem to be trying to drive the price back up a bit right now and shooting for that high 9 or more. Wouldn't mind a grabbing a set ready for my Mantis since it will show the treads well but I'll probably just wait until they're being offered at 6-7 again.

This may be a stupid question, but sell to whom?

Try trading sites. Personally I find Reddits RocketLeagueExchange sub to be the best place to sell crates. Values drop on them fast though. There's a site called RL prices that makes for a decent guideline, but the older crates for instance are only worth 0.1 keys so it will be around ten for a key. The new Nitro on the other hand is about 0.5 to 0.75. Should be able to get 2 keys for three of them right now.

When it comes to buying there's better places than Reddit since their search is pretty awful. I forget the name of the best one but CountAntonius linked it a page or two back.

These are PC prices btw so values depend on what platform you're on.

Apologies in advance for the double post, but I'm genuinely proud of this! I've been practising this from time to time and I finally landed one in a match!

https://gfycat.com/UnfitIllGelada

My reaction

tumblr_inline_mmmz5o4vlF1qz4rgp.gif

Shady859

Do people trade keys for money or psn credit or anything? I never paid any attention at all to the items but someone spamming trade requests I looked my junk up and have the beta nugget which suposedly is valuable? I have zero interest in opening crates or ever using keys I'm super casual at RL.

Edit: PS4 and thanks

Do people trade keys for money or psn credit or anything? I never paid any attention at all to the items but someone spamming trade requests I looked my junk up and have the beta nugget which suposedly is valuable? I have zero interest in opening crates or ever using keys I'm super casual at RL.

Edit: PS4 and thanks

No of course not that is against the TOS....

Following on from a post flarez put up the other day, here's another positioning video from the same guy. At the mid end at least, I see this happen a lot still and also fall victim to it myself every now and then. Definitely worth a watch. It's a really good way of explaining what qualifies as crossing your teammates' paths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXBLCDSnaQE

Soulflarz

Banned
if you cut me off in mid rank 3s or 2s im going to not care if we lose because my hit was going to be better than yours and you don't understand how 50-50s work

edit: 90% of broken rotation is misunderstanding when to cut back and instead going for a ball suboptimally
played with tylacto today, he intentionally fucked up whenever i cut him off or took his hit until it sunk in.

also, never decide, realize its bad, then cut off anyways. Stay with your bad decision if you made it- executing a bad decision is better than no decision at all

Bollocks

Managed for the first time to break into Plat2 Solo Standard and for the first time I think I'm the weak link :/

Not that I'm bad, I actually only lost 1 game because the plat3 player was salty because we didn't ff with 2 goals down and 2m still to go, but there are some mechanics that you don't have to deal with or need in lower divisions.

Like clearing the ball from the backboard where you have to airboost off the wall to the ball and then air drag it to clear it further/contest. Only ever saw this in RLCS before, time to hit the training.

if you cut me off in mid rank 3s or 2s im going to not care if we lose because my hit was going to be better than yours and you don't understand how 50-50s work

edit: 90% of broken rotation is misunderstanding when to cut back and instead going for a ball suboptimally
played with tylacto today, he intentionally fucked up whenever i cut him off or took his hit until it sunk in.

also, never decide, realize its bad, then cut off anyways. Stay with your bad decision if you made it- executing a bad decision is better than no decision at all

Yeah I've started noticing a lot more recently when I need to roll back, which is way more common than some players like to unfortunately. I like the midline explanation though and it seems to hold true most of the time. I rarely directly cut people off now, but I do sometimes hesitate upon landing about whether a second touch is coming my way from a team mate. The midline thing might help remove that bit of indecision on my part is my hope.

Soulflarz

Banned
Managed for the first time to break into Plat2 Solo Standard and for the first time I think I'm the weak link :/

Not that I'm bad, I actually only lost 1 game because the plat3 player was salty because we didn't ff with 2 goals down and 2m still to go, but there are some mechanics that you don't have to deal with or need in lower divisions.

Like clearing the ball from the backboard where you have to airboost off the wall to the ball and then air drag it to clear it further/contest. Only ever saw this in RLCS before, time to hit the training.

That aint a plat tech, that's probably just someone like me who only uses solo standard for mechanics practice cause unranked isn't satisfying.

Air dragging to control a clear is very important, but not really until idk, mid purples at the least? A single roll is stupidly safe until then tbh.

Loving the speed these Mantis prices are falling at. Seen a few at 38 now. I'll happily do 30 for one and I've got 29 keys on me. Should only be a few more days with any luck.

I like how it looks better than the endo I just know thats not how most people see it.

I like the shape but I dunno, I don't like how much silver is visible on the underside. I'm a bit picky like that with the cars and hate the damn red bit on the Octanes as a result. At least it doesn't have anything as irritating as that.

To be honest it's hard for me to say just how much I like or dislike it for real without one in my hands. Most of the ones I've seen in game are running BM's and I prefer something static. Plain stripes on the Endo is by far my fav loadout as a result, can't remember if the Mantis had stripes though from when I got one, I think they were a lot more hectic looking than plain but oh well.

I like the shape but I dunno, I don't like how much silver is visible on the underside. I'm a bit picky like that with the cars and hate the damn red bit on the Octanes as a result. At least it doesn't have anything as irritating as that.

To be honest it's hard for me to say just how much I like or dislike it for real without one in my hands. Most of the ones I've seen in game are running BM's and I prefer something static. Plain stripes on the Endo is by far my fav loadout as a result, can't remember if the Mantis had stripes though from when I got one, I think they were a lot more hectic looking than plain but oh well.
You know what did that car in for me? The axles. They are very visible and like a bronze color. I really couldn't get used to it.

Not a huge fan of the windshield either. I honestly think from an aesthetic viewpoint no car will be more perfect for me than the dominus.

Top Bottom