• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming June 2017 | What Would Apple Do (WWAD)

I was just thinking about this the other day, but Ironhide Game Studios (the Kingdom Rush devs) announced Kingdom Rush 4 and Iron Marines WAAAAAY too early.

I feel like I've been waiting an eternity for those games and I haven't even heard anything about them in a long time.

I think Iron Marines was announced in late 2015.

For mobile games I just feel like the standard is to not hear anything and then sudden the game is announced and comes out not long afterwards. Maybe Iron Marines being an RTS was a little more complicated than they expected.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I was just thinking about this the other day, but Ironhide Game Studios (the Kingdom Rush devs) announced Kingdom Rush 4 and Iron Marines WAAAAAY too early.

I feel like I've been waiting an eternity for those games and I haven't even heard anything about them in a long time.

I think Iron Marines was announced in late 2015.

For mobile games I just feel like the standard is to not hear anything and then sudden the game is announced and comes out not long afterwards. Maybe Iron Marines being an RTS was a little more complicated than they expected.

I think the sweet spot for mobile is probably around 4 weeks for most new titles, and maybe up to 3 months for sequels.

Keeping the audiences attention and hype for longer than that is hard in a space where great new games are releasing week in, week out, relentlessly.

Remy

Do we already have a NeoGAF group? Already wanted to make one l, but was not sure.

Just created one. If you guys give me your username I can add you.

I'll take an invite (username is "Remy").

Actually I didn't even knew there were clans.
To be honest, excluding the tutorial, I have yet to win a single game against normal AI.

It took me a solid 5-6 games against the "normal" AI before I started being able to routinely beat it. I found there was some subconscious balancing strategies I had to work through. Once you've got a general feeling between having enough culture per round vs. successful attack and defense vs. enough economy production to not run out of gold vs. special effects of your cards to swing things your way, it clicks really well.

PittaGAF

I'm Pitta if anyone wants to play Age of Rivals and get an easy win of invite some cannon fodder for an Empire.

Awesome and highly original deck builder, I love it.

Oynox

Invited you both. Not sure if you received them though. Apparently account Management is a bit strange, or I do not understand it.

awp69

The Bug Butcher is on sale for $.99. Great Pang-like game. Gets pretty dang challenging compared to the mobile version of Pang especially.

Piotrek

In case anyone wants to catch up on their backlog or try some oldies before iOS 11, I’ve gone through all my purchased games and compiled a short list of stuff that’s currently still 32-bit and going away if you update.

CLARC
Deep Dungeons of Doom
Final Fantasy Tactics
Gears
Infinity Blade
Kami
Leg-end-ar-y
Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Shadowrun Returns
Space Hulk
Star Command
The Last Express
XCOM Enemy Within

Naturally it’s far from complete, but I hope it comes in handy. I now definitely know what I’ll be focusing on in the coming months.

I accidentally switched Store regions on my main account and now everything on the App Store is in euros. Anybody know how to switch it back?

Pachimari

So we still getting Animal Crossing this year. At least that's interesting.

Oh damn, didn't notice Mr Future Ninja is out as well.

And we getting a premium Street Fighter IV game too? Hmm.

I just can't get myself to spend money on anything after this whole 32/64-bit deal fucked me up for good.

Matt Frost

I accidentally switched Store regions on my main account and now everything on the App Store is in euros. Anybody know how to switch it back?

Go to the AppStore app, on the main page, Featured, below everything there is "Apple ID: your email". Tap on that, a menu will appear, tap on "view Apple ID", then a submenu will popup and there is Change Region. Change back to your country and you are set.

baconcow

I really do hope companies or Apple does something. Games like Final Fantasy Tactics and XCOM are going to disappear. I just got some access to an iPad Air 2 (until I get my iPad Pro) and have not had a chance to properly play them yet. I picked them up in earlier sales hoping that I would get an iPad sooner, myself, but wasn't able to. Outside of the return window, so unless I play both of the games now, they'll end up being wasted purchases. :(

schnarf

Missile Cards is out on iOS!

Found it by searching the app store, don't have a link to it handy at the moment though.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I just can't get myself to spend money on anything after this whole 32/64-bit deal fucked me up for good.

Why don't you just ask for a refund on the 32bit games?

There doesn't seem to be a statute of limitations on that. They don't ask questions and we've had examples of people refunding games that we took off the store years ago.

Matt Frost

Anyone still playing Arkanoid vs Space Invaders? How is it? Want something to replace Death Road to Canada since its not really my cup of tea

There doesn't seem to be a statute of limitations on that. They don't ask questions and we've had examples of people refunding games that we took off the store years ago.

Is it official apple policy to return money paid for 32 bit games? If so I'm getting few hundred bucks back!

baconcow

Weird. I thought there was a 90-day return policy. I bought several games on sale a while before even having access to an iPad, not knowing that this apocalypse was impending (and expecting to get an iPad sooner than this). I've asked Square Enix and 2K over and over about FFT and XCOM. Square Enix has never replied and the best response I received from 2K was this:

@2KSupport said:
Unfortunately, we don't have any information on that yet.
*DF

Confused why there won't be any backwards compatibility, even if there is a potential performance hit. I mean, a lot of devs have been updating, which is great, but I have a handful of purchases that are on my 32-bit list.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Is it official apple policy to return money paid for 32 bit games? If so I'm getting few hundred bucks back!

There is no official policy on refunds that I am aware of. Their unofficial policy seems to be "if a customer asks for their money back, give it to them".

baconcow said:
Weird. I thought there was a 90-day return policy.

As mentioned, we have had refunds go through on paid games of ours literally years after they weren't even available on the Store any more.

Pachimari

You can't get a refund on all of them games. We talked about that in last month's thread I think.

sheaaaa

There is no official policy on refunds that I am aware of. Their unofficial policy seems to be "if a customer asks for their money back, give it to them".

As mentioned, we have had refunds go through on paid games of ours literally years after they weren't even available on the Store any more.

I see you keep saying this but I've not been able to get a refund on a game I had bought a few months prior. I really don't think this is true.

Go to the AppStore app, on the main page, Featured, below everything there is "Apple ID: your email". Tap on that, a menu will appear, tap on "view Apple ID", then a submenu will popup and there is Change Region. Change back to your country and you are set.

Is there any issue with changing regions? I've had a US account for years but I'm tired of buying iTunes cards, was planning to make a new account for my actual country but if I can change region, even better.

PittaGAF

I think it's country based.
Last year in Europe you could ask for refund no question asked (tried once directly from the invoice link and it worked but to be honest it was like 5 minutes after I received the email and realized the mistake).
This year I made the same error but the 'refund no question asked' link isn't there anymore.
I did request it (it was another mistake on my part when buying) and I was recalled by Apple, after some minutes on the phone they did refund me but it was because there was an objective problem.
It's not 'no question asked' anymore in Europe (Italy at least) and when I buy an app I always get a message that if I download the app in a 14 days timeframe I'm not entitled anymore for a refund.

I think that changed some months ago in Europe, but I only used the thing 2 times so I'm not sure.

Matt Frost

Is there any issue with changing regions? I've had a US account for years but I'm tired of buying iTunes cards, was planning to make a new account for my actual country but if I can change region, even better.

Yes you can keep your current account and just change country, that way you will be able to add your credit card and forget about buying iTunes cards plus you keep your purchase history and dont have to switch accounts to update apps. And you can swap to another country as much as you want.

I use this to download games released in NZ, CA,... with my main account and dont loose progress when it launches in my country (Brawl Stars for example)

sheaaaa

Yes you can keep your current account and just change country, that way you will be able to add your credit card and forget about buying iTunes cards plus you keep your purchase history and dont have to switch accounts to update apps. And you can swap to another country as much as you want.

I use this to download games released in NZ, CA,... with my main account and dont loose progress when it launches in my country (Brawl Stars for example)

Cheers, that's great news.

Matt Frost

Cheers, that's great news.

Yes it is. I have many Apple IDs for different countries but then i learned this trick in my CR clan and is been a game changer. I tried a few games this way (South Park Phone Destroyer,...). Easy, you keep your data for those games, effortless (after you learn it). Game changer

PittaGAF

Wait a moment.
Are you saying I can buy on foreign AppStore with my credit cards info (from another country store) just changing the store country???

Since when it's possible?
If so, this is a HUGE game changer!!!

sheaaaa

Wait a moment.
Are you saying I can buy on foreign AppStore with my credit cards info (from another country store) just changing the store country???

I think the issue with needing credit cards from the specific country still exists? Like my CC wouldn't work on the US store, but switching the region to my home country will work because I have a CC from there.

Matt Frost

Wait a moment.

No, only works for free apps. But maybe with iTunes gift cards on your main account (so you have iTunes cash) you can go to other stores and buy with that. Maybe. That i havent tested

PittaGAF

No, only works for free apps. But maybe with iTunes gift cards on your main account (so you have iTunes cash) you can go to other stores and buy with that. Maybe. That i havent tested

I see, thanks anyway.
Even just free apps is a game changer, thanks for sharing.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I think it's country based.
Last year in Europe you could ask for refund no question asked (tried once directly from the invoice link and it worked but to be honest it was like 5 minutes after I received the email and realized the mistake).
This year I made the same error but the 'refund no question asked' link isn't there anymore.
I did request it (it was another mistake on my part when buying) and I was recalled by Apple, after some minutes on the phone they did refund me but it was because there was an objective problem.
It's not 'no question asked' anymore in Europe (Italy at least) and when I buy an app I always get a message that if I download the app in a 14 days timeframe I'm not entitled anymore for a refund.

I think that changed some months ago in Europe, but I only used the thing 2 times so I'm not sure.
The 14 day cancellation no-questsions-asked option on any purchase is only available once per Apple ID, after which you get "confirmation" notices that void that right from then on. This is however completely separate from refunds, which can still be requested but requires a reason and will be up to apple to grant or not.

Speaking from a EU perspective.

Y'all got the new Solitairica expansion, right?

And apologizes for not being around much this month. Haven't playing much mobile as usual lately

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Where is Brawl Stars on the app store ?
Canada only afaik at the moment.

I see, thanks anyway.
Even just free apps is a game changer, thanks for sharing.

You can swap countries freely as long as you don't have any payment methods associated with your Apple ID. If you do, then the ID is locked to that country. This has been the case practically ever since Apple migrated IDs over to Emails back in 2009 or thereabouts I wan't to say but I don't remember. I've moved my "main" Apple ID probably 5 times by now in total. Purchase histories carry over between countries with the exception being particular licensing restrictions or apps not being locally available in the new country's store. I still keep separate accounts for US/CA/AU/NZ though just because of convenience, seeing as I tie a credit card to my account and use it a lot for Apple Pay etc. so I can't regularly keep swapping around.

Top Bottom