• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Coreda

TEAJXb0.png

Heads up: Use [spoiler][/spoiler] tags for potential spoilers and clarify what's being tagged.

Good example: For those wondering about the end choice in Towerful of Mice:
example spoiler here.

Unclear example: Hey does anyone know
something that should be clarified outside of the tags

(The above aren't real spoilers). Basically just use common sense. For those who've completed the game the Spoiler Thread is an ideal place to chat! Also, as usual, all downgrade discussion belongs in the the downgrade topic.​

» Q: What's the difference between the regular and GOTY editions of the game?
» A: The Game of the Year Edition bundles the base game, both expansions (Hearts of Stone, Blood & Wine), and free DLC into one package. There is no additional or changed content compared to buying the expansions separately, it's more aimed at being a convenient purchase option. For the physical console versions it also bundles all the previous updates onto the disc, which may be attractive to some. Note: the console versions are considered by the system as a separate game, so save files and achievements aren't cross-compatible between the regular/GOTY versions.

» Q: If I am starting the game without a loaded save do I choose yes or no for "simulate Witcher 2 save?"
» A: Choose 'Yes' to pick choices based on the previous game during a dialog sequence in Vizima. Otherwise you can say 'No' and the game will create choices for you. For maximum quests, say everyone lived. See ColonialRaptor's guide for more info.

» Q: Where can I check the total play time?
» A: In the Inventory by pressing R2/RT on the console version, or pressing 'C' on the PC. The total time is in the bottom-left. Note: the in-game counter is bugged for most and can be wildly inaccurate. Best to check the client's own play counter if using the PC version.

» Q: Is there a site where I can find screenshots of the armor upgrades, etc?
» A: You can find them on this site, along with diagram locations, and plenty of other item guides.

» Q: How do I play Gwent and where can I find the cards?
» A: See the Gwent OT for the deets. For all card locations and previews, including those added in the expansions, see this dedicated site. An in-world book named 'A Miraculous Guide to Gwent' can also be bought that tracks how many remaining new cards there are per region, and is available from the scholar in the Prologue or the merchant near St. Gregory's Bridge in Gildorf district of Novigrad. CDPR have released a video walkthrough of the card game with commentary from two of the devs.

» Q: I have too many items in my inventory! How can I increase carry capacity?
» A: Saddlebags allow you to carry more, such as the Zerrikanian saddlebag which adds 100 to your carrying capacity (a merchant in Novigrad sells one, and can be won in Skellige). The Hearts of Stone expansion offers a new General ability skill 'Strong Back' which adds 60 carry capacity. Since patch v1.07 there are storage chests (Stashes) available in different places throughout the world and alchemy ingredients have been changed to weigh nothing, which helps greatly. If you're still overburdened try the Fiend Decoction which increases your weight carrying limit for 40 minutes.

» Q: Is there a way to later change assigned ability points?
» A: Respec potions are sold for 1000 crowns which reset your skill tree and release back your available ability points. There is a merchant in Novigrad that sells them (screenshot), some druids in Skellige, and also Keira.

» Q: Does stealing have consequences?
» A: As long as looting isn't in sight of guards you're fine.

» Q: Can I change the difficulty level at any time?
» A: Yup, just be aware that saves using different difficulties are incompatible with each other (the game tips mentions this). A benefit of the normal and easy difficulties is your vitality is replenished when meditating, which is especially useful.

» Q: Any way to make the mouse response smoother?
» A: Go to the Video>Graphics options menu and enable 'Hardware Cursor' to use raw input, and see if it improves. No idea why it's in that menu.

» Q: How can I skip the intro videos and/or dialog?
» A: Keep pressing the spacebar (X on the Xbox controller) to interrupt them. For intro videos there is also a mod that disables them completely. See this post for skipping the opening company logos for a slightly faster game launch.​

CDPR have announced 16 free DLC packs to be released. Starting with the Temerian Armor Set and Beard and Hairstyle Set they will release the DLCs two at a time each week to be downloaded separately from the client.

In Steam this is under the DLC section in the game page of the Library. In GOG Galaxy you 'purchase' it for free in the Additional Content pane on the right of the game library page and activate it via the Configure tab (or download them manually via the Account page). PS4 and Xbox One players can find the DLCs in the online store listed for free.

All the details about where to find the DLC in-game can be found in the Glossary/Tutorials menu. The alternate Yennefer/Triss outfits and Gwent card designs can be toggled from the DLC options menu.​

dlc-standalone1dshd.png

Experienced a bug? Let CDPR know via their official bug report form. Note: If any issues below get fixed let me to know so I can update them here.

» Some mods can cause quest glitches which prevent progress. A couple users here experienced this. Always read the descriptions and user feedback before installing mods. Verifying the game fixed the issues for one user.

» If you're experiencing crashes to desktop on the PC version try changing to exclusive fullscreen mode ('Fullscreen' in the graphics settings) as windowed fullscreen can cause issues for some players.

» Finishing the Skellige's Most Wanted DLC quest is bugged for many on all platforms since patch 1.07. Several PC users have discovered uninstalling that DLC and re-downloading it fixes the issue.

» Xbox One players - don't shut down your system with the instant on function enabled while the game is still running as it causes your game to fail saving the next time you go to play - losing all of your forward progress. The Xbox will have to be hard reset for the game to load any previous saves.

DesertFox was testing leaving the instant on enabled but dashboarding and quitting the game before shutting the Xbox off. Hopefully a viable workaround until patched. See also the CDPR thread. (Thanks DesertFox)

» Jumping in waist-deep water isn't possible, which has left some needing to reload a previous save to get un-stuck in some situations.

» [ Should be fixed by now ] Climbing can become bugged, preventing progress, so check you can climb every now and then. Patches are coming soon. In the meantime someone posted a workaround for PC, and another found some specific maneuvering helped fix it.

Note: these are the PC patch notes, console patches typically arrive later due to the certification process. Patch notes may on occasion contain spoilery details.

Previous patches: Patch 1.20 (2016-05-27) / Discussion thread | Patch 1.22 (2016-06-15) / Discussion thread

» Current: Patch 1.30 (2016-08-29) / Discussion thread

Characters

- Vimme Vivaldi is now sporting a fresh look.

Gameplay

- Fixes issue whereby oil descriptions were not removed from swords.
- Fixes issue whereby it was not possible to obtain certain dye recipes.
- Fixes issue whereby it was possible to skip the entire second phase of the Eredin fight.
- Fixes issue whereby a silver sword was needed to craft the Mastercrafted Legendary Griffin
Steel Sword.
- Fixes issue whereby two NPCs from the "Without a Trace" quest were impossible to defeat.
- The Rabid Rock Trolls near the Dun Tynne crossroads are slightly less rabid on the "Just the Story" difficulty level.
- Fixes issue that allowed users to switch bolts underwater, resulting in lower damage dealt during said submersion.
- Corrects the value of the Adrenaline Rush buff during the fight against a group of bandits in the "Capture the Castle" quest.
- Introduces tweaks to the loot randomization system.
- Dealing a killing blow now generates the correct amount of Adrenaline.
- Fixes issue whereby Roach's tail could vanish. For those affected by this issue, swapping saddles, saving the game and then loading that save is recommended.
- Adjusts the maximum level for items, quests and NPCs to address level requirement discrepancies if player started NG+ on a very high level. Item and quest maximum level is now 100. NPCs maximum level is 105.
- Corrects the statistics of the Hen Gaidth and Tesham Mutna sets in New Game + mode.
- Fixes issue whereby the Toussaint Knight's Steel Sword Diagram was not added to the crafting page after looting it.
- Fixes issue whereby the Second Life mutation could, under certain circumstances, grant Geralt infinite health regeneration.
- Fixes issue whereby the Wicked Witch in the "Beyond Hill and Dale..." quest could occasionally prove invincible.
- Fixes issue whereby the Euphoria buff was not applied correctly following the imbibing of a decoction.

GUI

- Fixes issue whereby it was possible to place a skill in a mutation slot of a different color.
- Fixes Steam controller issues.
- Adds PlayStation controller prompt icons.
- Fixes issue whereby craftable items in New Game + mode could have incorrect level requirements.
- Fixes issues affecting the dismantling of mutagens in bulk in the alchemy lab.

Quests

- Fixes issue whereby it was not possible to interact with loot chests in the "Scavenger Hunt: Wolf School Gear" quest.
- Fixes issue whereby Geralt's entry would disappear from the Glossary once he decided to join the tourney under his true name.
- Fixes issue whereby two bandits outside the Nowhere Inn could prove impossible to kill during the "Following the Thread" quest.
- Fixes issue whereby players could occasionally become blocked during the "Contract: Bovine Blues" quest due to a dracolizard's overly friendly attitude.
- Fixes issue whereby Reginald's statue could not be placed in Corvo Bianco's front yard.
- Fixes issue whereby it was not possible to kill Morkvarg in New Game + mode during the "In Wolf's Clothing quest".
- Fixes issue whereby it was occasionally not possible to use the Alchemy Table at Corvo Bianco.
- Fixes issue whereby the progression of the "Equine Phantoms" quest could occasionally be blocked.
- Fixes issue whereby the objective to wear attire befitting the occasion could be displayed indefinitely after the player fulfilled it in the "The Man from Cintra" quest.
- Fixes issue whereby the quest "Contract: Bovine Blues" could not be completed if the "Big Feet to Fill" point of interest had not been completed.
- Fixes issue whereby Vivienne could despawn in the "The Warble of a Smitten Knight" quest.
- Fixes issue whereby the progression of the "Feet Cold As Ice" quest could occasionally be blocked.
- Fixes issue whereby it was possible to inadvertently reactivate the objective of the "Feet Cold As Ice" quest.
- Fixes additional instances of an issue whereby the borders meant to exist only during the "Night of Long Fangs" quest would sometimes become enabled outside the duration of the quest, preventing users from exploring Toussaint.
- Hughes is now spawned correctly following the "One more day" choice in the "Goodness, Gracious, Great Balls of Granite!" quest.
- It is no longer possible to get trapped inside The Pheasantry during the progression of the "Gwent: Never Fear, Skellige's Here" quest.
- Fixes issue whereby the progression of the "Big Feet to Fill" quest could occasionally be blocked.
- Fixes issue whereby the statues in the "Extreme Cosplay" quest occasionally would not spawn.
- Fixes issue whereby the bruxa in the "The Beast of Toussaint" quest would display pacifist
tendencies, whereas the progression of the story needed her to turn hostile.
- Fixes issue whereby it was not possible to interact with the footsteps during the crime scene investigation in the "The Beast of Toussaint" quest.
- Fixes issue whereby it could be impossible to talk to the quest giver in the quest titled "Knight for Hire."

Shout outs to Wask for the screenshot used for the header, iNvid02 for the GIF, RDreamer/CoolOff for the title + everyone with awesome links, tips, and screenshots.​

THS2Frp.gif

Denton

Nice new OT, just the FAQ about gamepad detected message can be removed, they removed it in a patch.

artsi

I'm hungry to start this from the beginning, but I'm waiting for all the DLC to release first.
And hoping that I'll forget as much as I can from the story meanwhile.

I'm hungry to start this from the beginning, but I'm waiting for all the DLC to release first.

Yes same. I'll be starting my second playthrough after my run with Arkham Knight. Such a rich world with great characters that just keeps on giving.

Plus, I need to give Gwent a second chance :(

Interfectum

I'm not even done yet and I'm already excited for my next play through. This game.....

Vico

Just got back in the game after a break.
Almost finished everything in Velen/Novigrad (except high-level quests), and I'm ready to go to Skellige for the first time.

Another ploughin' good thread title.

I love this Gwent simulator. The questing and monster hunting minigames aren't bad either.

Yes same. I'll be starting my second playthrough after my run with Arkham Knight. Such a rich world with great characters that just keeps on giving.

Plus, I need to give Gwent a second chance :(

Gwent is great. I'd definitely give it another shot. Once you get a certain amount of hero cards and spies, it really clicks.

Note: these are the PC patch notes, console patches typically arrive one update behind due to the certification process. Patch notes may on occasion contain spoilery details.

Not so sure about this. They're a number behind, but the content is usually the same.

Also the FAQ on game time is wrong, the issue with the console playtime is not that it takes time while in standby, but that it's completely broken. On PC too. It shows far too much for most, and for others it resets randomly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Literally the worst game I have ever played.

Sober

Saved up a few of the DLCs, think I should jump back in. Arkham Knight on PC has been kinda disappointing even though I sunk quite a few hours into it.

Completed it today. Adored the game and will be sad to say goodbye to it. There is still plenty to do but the ending seemed like a fitting climax to leave the game on... for now at least.

Glass

I'm waiting to upgrade my comp before purchasing this, but in the meantime these OT's are a life saver and keep my hype levels sated.

I'm having trouble accessing the DLC on the PS4. It's all downloaded, but nothing is in the tutorial or the options, and my account is the primary one on the PS4. Any tips? I'm still able to redownload them right after downloading them, if that matters.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Over 100 hours(according to GOG Galaxy, might be some afk in there) later, still trying to find Ciri.

Jisgsaw

Speaking of ploughing:
I always see a lot of people complaining about Yennefer's cold character.
Am I the only one to see on the contrary a very insecure, emotional character? She does try to get her way at any time, but she also is careful not to physically hurt people on the way. She's just careful to give the impression of the contrary.

Coreda

Not so sure about this. They're a number behind, but the content is usually the same.

Changed instead to 'arrive later', since it's more accurate.

Also the FAQ on game time is wrong, the issue with the console playtime is not that it takes time while in standby, but that it's completely broken. On PC too. It shows far too much for most, and for others it resets randomly.

From posts I'd read it for the console versions it seemed that was the case but updated to just plain broken :p

CoolOff

I've been wondering about the 16 week DLC-thing. Is it just to keep hype going or do you guys think they're actually actively adding this continuously?

I guess I'm curious if all of it could've been released from the start or not.

Speaking of ploughing:
Am I the only one to see on the contrary a very insecure, emotional character? She does try to get her way at any time, but she also is careful not to physically hurt people on the way. She's just careful to give the impression of the contrary.
Yea, I feel like seeing her as a cold, bitter individual comes off as one-sided and looking at her through a narrow scope. I think she's very likable. She can be manipulative, she can be secretive, but ultimately she has reasons and like you said, she's not out to hurt anyone. Her feelings for Geralt are real and I love that CPDR showed that well in the game, from their intimate moments to moments of jealousy over Triss to moments of fearing for Geralt and Ciri's safety.

The way she squealed when she saw Ciri again was really heartfelt. Probably one of the best female characters in games in my opinion.

Speaking of ploughing:
Yes, she seems particularly insecure (in my mind) regarding Geralt and her feelings towards him. The events of the last two games have left her projecting a cold exterior so as to not get hurt. At least that's how I felt.

a916

Yea, I feel like seeing her as a cold, bitter individual comes off as one-sided and looking at her through a narrow scope. I think she's very likable. She can be manipulative, she can be secretive, but ultimately she has reasons and like you said, she's not out to hurt anyone. Her feelings for Geralt are real and I love that CPDR showed that well in the game, from their intimate moments to moments of jealousy over Triss to moments of fearing for Geralt and Ciri's safety.

The way she squealed when she saw Ciri again was really heartfelt. Probably one of the best female characters in games in my opinion.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's something that really develops very well later into the game... however, I think the romance option of her's should be after you get a better idea of what you just mentioned and I felt the romance option happens... and then you realize all this. (should I spoiler tag that?)

Jisgsaw

Yes, she seems particularly insecure (in my mind) regarding Geralt and her feelings towards him. The events of the last two games have left her projecting a cold exterior so as to not get hurt. At least that's how I felt.

Oh, she's like that in the books too.
I guess it comes from her past as a hunchback. But her first appearence is tricking Geralt in doing something to throw him in jail and face possible execution.... just to send him a way out right after. And then more or less letting go of her chance of capturing the djinn to save him, even though she didn't know him then.

But maybe it's just me watching too much animes with tsundere characters.

Not sure if anyone has investigated this, but there was a spy that you meet after killing
Menge
if you didn't gather where
Dandelion
was from him. After you question the spy, you can tell
Triss
to kill him. After she leaves, you can inspect his body and Geralt states that he looks like hes still alive.

If you walk out the door and go back in, He's gone. Nothing ever comes of it as far as I know, but it really annoyed me that either
Triss
lied about killing him, or that he escaped and nothing ever came of it.

Top Bottom