• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

Man, who at Sega do I have to blow to get a Sonic game with the look and feel of the Sonic CD cut scenes.

giphy.gif

I had a CDX... several actually. Gave my original one to my nephew and he broke it cuz he doesn't appreciate shit. I mean he was young at the time so I can't really be made at him, but he's grown now and still like that... Anyway, I bought another one and I am pretty sure I sold that one too because the thing that holds the door down broke and I used to have a rubber band around it. I know it was just sitting in the closet for years.

Anyway I felt like the shit when I got it. No one else I knew had one or had even heard of it (I had one cousin who had the original Sega CD megablocks building set system). Brought it to school and listened to The Fugees. Sonic CD was easily my favorite game. I bought Snatcher and some light guns but I couldn't really get into it.

I had a CDX... several actually. Gave my original one to my nephew and he broke it cuz he doesn't appreciate shit. I mean he was young at the time so I can't really be made at him, but he's grown now and still like that... Anyway, I bought another one and I am pretty sure I sold that one too because the thing that holds the door down broke and I used to have a rubber band around it. I know it was just sitting in the closet for years.

Anyway I felt like the shit when I got it. No one else I knew had one or had even heard of it (I had one cousin who had the original Sega CD megablocks building set system). Brought it to school and listened to The Fugees. Sonic CD was easily my favorite game. I bought Snatcher and some light guns but I couldn't really get into it.

Sitting on a gold mine.

BTails

Listened to Sonic CD (US releasee) in the car while today. Still love that OST, so many memories playing it back in the day. The Japanese one is great, but I don't have the fondness for them like I do for Spencer Nilsen's tracks.

Maou

Listened to Sonic CD (US releasee) in the car while today. Still love that OST, so many memories playing it back in the day. The Japanese one is great, but I don't have the fondness for them like I do for Spencer Nilsen's tracks.
One of the nice things about the recent re-release is that people don't have to choose between two legitimately good soundtracks, even though the theme song You Can Do Anything is tragically missing. I think the original soundtrack is better in almost every way, but the American tracks for Stardust Speedway and Metallic Madness are GREAT.

One thing that's really interesting is how the Japaneses MCD version always switches to the bad future mix for the Metal Sonic race, whereas the US MCD version maintains the good future mix if you've earned it. This matters a TON since the Japanese bad future mix is a perfect match for the race, and the US good future mix is also thrilling here, whereas the slower US bad future mix isn't. I'm told this nice localization was not translated over on the re-release. Score one for the MCD originals!

So this happened. Anyone got a link that will detail what to look for to confirm legit? I have no reason to believe it's fake I just want to be sure. The disc markings on the underside of the disc match legit.

Snjsl9L.jpg

BTails

So this happened. Anyone got a link that will detail what to look for to confirm legit? I have no reason to believe it's fake I just want to be sure. The disc markings on the underside of the disc match legit.

Snjsl9L.jpg

No idea how to confirm legitimacy, but congrats! That's a great looking copy of one of my favourite games ever. Have you played it before? If not, I'm jealous, you're in for a treat.

No idea how to confirm legitimacy, but congrats! That's a great looking copy of one of my favourite games ever. Have you played it before? If not, I'm jealous, you're in for a treat.
No I haven't played it before. Should I wait until I get a CRT/PVM and use the light gun or does it matter.

Snjsl9L.jpg

I can take pictures of my copy if you're interested. I got my copy for $100. Sounds like you also got a good deal. What did you pay?
I'm at the point in my sickness where $100 for a game can be a good deal

The game plays fine without a light gun. Enjoy!

BTails

No I haven't played it before. Should I wait until I get a CRT/PVM and use the light gun or does it matter.

I'd go for it. The shooting sequences are few and far between, 95% of the game is exploration/dialog, so you're not missing much by going full Pad vs Pad + Justifier.

And man, you're in for a great ride. Enjoy it, the graphics, atmosphere, and music are all top notch. And the voice acting is actually very good, especially if you put it in context of the year it was released!

I can take pictures of my copy if you're interested. I got my copy for $100. Sounds like you also got a good deal. What did you pay?
I'm at the point in my sickness where $100 for a game can be a good deal

The game plays fine without a light gun. Enjoy!
I got a good deal but not $100 good lol. I have found pics of legit copies but was interested in if there was some specific things to look for,thanks though!

I'd go for it. The shooting sequences are few and far between, 95% of the game is exploration/dialog, so you're not missing much by going full Pad vs Pad + Justifier.

And man, you're in for a great ride. Enjoy it, the graphics, atmosphere, and music are all top notch. And the voice acting is actually very good, especially if you put it in context of the year it was released!
okay cool,I'll probably bump it up on my backlog list.thanks.

Snjsl9L.jpg

The only way to be sure that it is legit is to send it to me for a close inspection. Will PM address.

Mzo

The actual lightgun scenes are very limited. The screen is broken up into 9 boxes and you can only shoot a direct shot in each box. It's less clunky to just do it with the dpad, honestly.

Policenauts does have free aiming, though. That one's fun with a lightgun.

If I remember correctly, you'll get a chance very early in the game to do a practice shooting range. You can decide there if you'd rather wait until you get a light gun but it's only a small portion of the game anyway so I think it would be best to just use a DPAD.

IrishNinja

The actual lightgun scenes are very limited. The screen is broken up into 9 boxes and you can only shoot a direct shot in each box. It's less clunky to just do it with the dpad, honestly.

Policenauts does have free aiming, though. That one's fun with a lightgun.

yeah, now that i have lightguns & a CRT again i wanna replay both sometime & see how i do

cj_iwakura

I got a good deal but not $100 good lol. I have found pics of legit copies but was interested in if there was some specific things to look for,thanks though!

okay cool,I'll probably bump it up on my backlog list.thanks.
After a get like that, you should be playing it immediately. That's priority one material.

You lost me at couldn't get into Snatcher.

Galdelico

Collectors' GAF, can you help me on this?
I'm trying to find out whether or not the Japanese vanilla Keio Yuugekitai comes with the raccoon card, on top of the obi and regular registration card. I'm sure the 'cardboard box' edition of the game includes that, but at the moment I'm more interested in the regular print.
Thanks in advance guys! ^_-

Collectors' GAF, can you help me on this?
I'm trying to find out whether or not the Japanese vanilla Keio Yuugekitai comes with the raccoon card, on top of the obi and regular registration card. I'm sure the 'cardboard box' edition of the game includes that, but at the moment I'm more interested in the regular print.
Thanks in advance guys! ^_-

I'd love to help but my copy only has a manual.

Just finished Snatcher again. God, Kojima just goes on and on doesn't he. I love the game but it gets a bit much in the final act. I'm glad I've never played a Metal Gear.

Teknoman

Every SegaCD game should auto-start from boot right? Just noticed my copy of Shining Force CD seems to require me to press start?

On a side note, how awesome is that opening narration retelling Shining Force 1's end events? Game just has amazing sound design.

I played through Road Avenger today. It is by far the best of the Renovation animated fmv games. I'm a little surprised at how much I liked it. It seems easier than the others I guess mostly because the patterns never change. The other games feel kind of cheap with the difficulty and not fun. It's probably my favorite fmv game on the system.

Next up is Snatcher.

cj_iwakura

I played through Road Avenger today. It is by far the best of the Renovation animated fmv games. I'm a little surprised at how much I liked it. It seems easier than the others I guess mostly because the patterns never change. The other games feel kind of cheap with the difficulty and not fun. It's probably my favorite fmv game on the system.

Next up is Snatcher.
It's a classic. Great animation, wild scenarios, simple but relatable story. I'd love an HD version somehow.

Snjsl9L.jpg

Still waiting for a Night Trapish/PS4 edition of this glorious Hideo Kojima game so fucking much!!!

IrishNinja

Just finished Snatcher again. God, Kojima just goes on and on doesn't he. I love the game but it gets a bit much in the final act. I'm glad I've never played a Metal Gear.

i adore MGS, but sometimes i hate it. did you play through the fan translation of policenauts m'man?

I enjoyed Policenauts, but man, if you don't like Kojima going on and on then Policenauts is probably the worst offender.

I mean, I liked everything else about Snatcher. It's just towards the end they were like "we have a half hour" and when you get to the end there's a 40 minute speech by the bad guy. Chill out a bit, Kojima. Narratives are better when a little is left to the imagination.

The thing that's holding me back from Policenauts is that I think I should improve my Japanese enough to play it without a translation and I want to get my PC98 working because I own it on that too.

Voliko

I mean, I liked everything else about Snatcher. It's just towards the end they were like "we have a half hour" and when you get to the end there's a 40 minute speech by the bad guy. Chill out a bit, Kojima. Narratives are better when a little is left to the imagination.

The thing that's holding me back from Policenauts is that I think I should improve my Japanese enough to play it without a translation and I want to get my PC98 working because I own it on that too.

Even though characters magically know every little detail about the world and the technology in it, I think Policenauts is better than Snatcher with the ending. Snatcher felt like it ended too quickly with a huge plot dump out of nowhere. The build up in Policenauts felt perfect.

Top Bottom