• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grev |OT| Shooting up the future!

New Senko no Ronde announced for Vita!!!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Going to be a series within the same universe. Game design may be different as well. Will do a wrap-up on the Ustream later, but this had to be shared now.

Iuchi title? I'd err on the side of boring.

Ooh yeah I really disagree with that. Keep in mind we haven't seen an actual Iuchi-planned and directed title in over 6 years. He was only assisting on Strania graphics.

The CV:

Sin and Punishment: Hoshi no Keishōsha (2000) - Lighting, Fog, Demonstration Graphics, 90% Background Graphics
Ikaruga (2001) - Director, Planner, Prototype Production, 70% Background Graphics, Effects, Lighting, Fog, Music
Gradius V (2004) - Director, Planner, 60% Background Graphics, Effects, Lighting, Fog
Ikaruga XBLA (2008) - Graphic Data Conversion, Additional Graphics
Bleach: Versus Crusade (2008) - 90% Background Graphics, Lighting and Fog
Strania (2011) - Graphics
Kokuga (2012) - Director

The game is definitely a huge departure from something as technical as Ikaruga or Radiant Silvergun, so I personally think the reasonable dissatisfaction with those titles probably isn't a factor with it.

I just got home and had a chance to watch the trailer. I think it looks really, really fun. Since you can only have one shot on the screen at each time I'm sure part of the gameplay is going to involve getting as close to enemies as possible so you can shoot faster. All the little power ups, that bomb and laser effect, it looks awesome.

full.jpg

I'm also very down to play it multiplayer with some friends.

So here's my re-cap of the Grev stream:

• Internet at my work was so bad that I couldn't get any picture on the stream. So I had to settle for listening to audio and intermittently getting some images.
  • They showed off some Kokuga gameplay but I couldn't see much, it also ended very quickly so you probably see more in the trailer than they showed in the stream I imagine.
  • It sounded like Kokuga is going to be priced like a regular 3DS game, around the 4,000 yen range, which was a surprise. I was pretty sure it was going to be a downloadable title but that is not the case. Probably a good thing because this seems to have gotten Iuchi the budget he needed. Sure the game's graphics are very simple but some of the bosses that pop up in that trailer look pretty damn built out and interesting.
  • Looks like Kokuga is going to be an early summer release because for whatever reason they can't get it out in Spring. Game looks almost finished so that's a bit of a bummer.
  • They played a track from the new Senko no Ronde soundtrack, which is by Yack with vocals by Akari Kaida, who is an ex-Capcom sound composer, on Breath of Fire, Devil May Cry and other games. It was totally beautiful, amazing song. Definitely hyped to pick that up with the new Senko novel in April. Senko has some amazing music, which is something I've only recently realized. Gonna add some Grev soundtrack info to the op when I have time.
  • They showed off the cover for the novel but again, no picture so couldn't check it out. :(
  • The Senko no Ronde Vita announcement came near the end of their promo time and it was a pretty big shock to me. I have to give credit to Grev, they are really the last shooter developer out there willing to push limits and get onto new platforms as they come out. They trailblazed for the 360 and basically helped start the entrance of shooter companies onto the platform, and right now they're doing both 3DS and Vita. I really respect that. Even if they have their hiccups on releases and livestreams, their technical know-how is one of their greatest strengths.
  • Maruyama mentioned during the "talk" section of the livestream that he gets tons of requests from overseas fans to put out Border Down but he again stressed that it was basically not possible unless they remade the game, something he wants to do down the line but not at the moment. Looks like he actually reads your mails folks!

Just looped Under Defeat for the first time, finished with 4,476,440 on 2-4. I had one stupid death on 1-3, but I managed to enter the loop with a spare life and a few bombs. I credit fed through the loop once before, but I still wasn't too sure about what to expect, and alas my 2-4 death was on a suicide bullet from the big tank hallway. But I'm still pretty happy with my run.

By the way, could someone tell me the top 3 scores or so on the PS3 version? Just curious to see what the leaderboards look like on the other side of the fence (on 360, Kiken is #1 with 5.5m, Mushroom4143 is 2nd with 4.6, and I'm 3rd.)

If anyone is still interested, I made a VIDEO showing the image size differences between the PS3 and Dreamcast versions of Under Defeat. I put up another video a few days ago but it was basically a long rant with a bad camera angle.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finally got Under Defeat HD today. I'm having a hard time to get used to the controls, though. So, basically I can tilt my helicopter when I'm not shooting and fix its angle when I'm shooting?
Also, is there a way to get more credits (unlock them?)? I don't think I will get very far with just two credits.

Finally got Under Defeat HD today. I'm having a hard time to get used to the controls, though. So, basically I can tilt my helicopter when I'm not shooting and fix its angle when I'm shooting?
Also, is there a way to get more credits (unlock them?)? I don't think I will get very far with just two credits.

Credits unlock the longer you play the game. You'll eventually hit infinite credits so no worries.

is something wrong with my settings, or is this the first game on disc without 5.1 support? funny enough, the superplay dvd supports it. yea, i'm talking about UD HD.

Under Defeat HD patch & DLC incoming.

From G.rev's Facebook page:

G.rev is pleased to announced news for Under Defeat HD, including a new vehicle available as DLC and an update for the PS3 version.

First off, we’ve added a series of videos for shmup novices on the official G.rev youtube channel. One of the guys at the studio, a rookie at the genre, was put up to the challenge of beating the game. We were hoping to show that conquering Under Defeat isn’t an impossible feat, so if you haven’t played shoot’em ups much in the past, you might find a fellow novice’s gameplay interesting.

Next, the aircraft that the protagonists fly wasn’t the only machine that the Imperial forces had in development. Gamers will be able to download the VKL 7.04(V)W. The vehicle is a heavier equipped craft, therefore slightly slower than the original VKL5.03 (P), and it’s shooting dynamic is also a bit different. We hope you’ll take it out for some missions.

The DLC pack will be available for the XBox 360 version on March 28 for 400MSP. Though we do not have a final confirmation yet, we are planning to release the same content for the PS3 version on the 28th as well (600 yen).

We hope to post pictures and video of the new craft in the coming days.

Lastly, we have noted all the requests for a game update. The following features will be implemented on the update to the PS3 version (to be distributed on the same date as the DLC).

1) Dual Control Mode
Holding down UP on the D-pad in the tutorial screen when you press the button to proceed to the next screen will activate Dual Control Mode. This will allow you to control two crafts at the same time with one controller.
* This mode has already been implemented on the 360 version.

2) Adjustments to SD monitor compatibility. Yes, we got rid of the letterboxing.

3) Adjustments to BGM and SE playback.

4) Miscellaneous bug fixes and adjustments.

Please note that this update is currently planned only for the PS3 version. As addressed above, Dual Control Mode is already available for the 360. One update has already been implemented for the 360 version, so it may take time to make a second one. We do plan to do the update and ask for your patience in the meantime.

new order boss 4 sound is fucked up, hopefully this fixes it. boss 2 has a minor problem as well, but the 4 one seriously throws me off.

not happy with the new aircraft dlc.

A question I posted about Mamoru in the game forum schmup thread:

"Has anyone here at the very least 1CC'd an arcade run in Mamoru-kun Is Cursed?

I think there's some kind of secret with this game that'll make it a lot more manageable. I understand the curse system where you can either absorb it and shoot a lot more bullets for a limited time, or curse the enemies to stop their bullets at the expense of other things, but...

There's also the DLC that the PS3 got, two challenge mode runs that have a handful of stages from the game just made SUPER hard...or so I think."

Under Defeat HD patch & DLC incoming.

From G.rev's Facebook page:

Thanks for telling us about the announcement. I wonder if it'll add new trophies/achievements like the Mamoru PS3 DLC's did.

A question I posted about Mamoru in the game forum schmup thread:

"Has anyone here at the very least 1CC'd an arcade run in Mamoru-kun Is Cursed?

I think there's some kind of secret with this game that'll make it a lot more manageable. I understand the curse system where you can either absorb it and shoot a lot more bullets for a limited time, or curse the enemies to stop their bullets at the expense of other things, but...

There's also the DLC that the PS3 got, two challenge mode runs that have a handful of stages from the game just made SUPER hard...or so I think."

Thanks for telling us about the announcement. I wonder if it'll add new trophies/achievements like the Mamoru PS3 DLC's did.

There are absolutely are more than a few secrets in Mamoru-kun. Which version are you playing?

There is one HUGE difference between the 360 and PS3 versions. On the 360 version, the slowdown on the last boss is ridiculous and it makes him very manageable. All you have to do is grind against the inside ring of the arena as you wind your way around looking for the eye that has opened up to attack him.

Oh, but that's actually not the biggest difference. It's the second phase! With all the flying little popcorn enemies that are shooting red suicide bullets at you. On the 360 version there is slowdown here so you can pop them pretty easily. There is NONE on the PS3 version which makes dodging this phase extremely difficult. I've only managed a legit arcade 1CC with Fururu and Mayuno, the other characters I had to jack the lives up to get the trophy. Especially Nowa, who is super effective on the stages, but her lack of direct straight-on power leaves her defenseless on this stage.

But you may also be having trouble before the last boss, in the stages. There are two threats here: running out of time and running out of lives. For the former, there will be some stages you literally just have to dash the fuck through to save on time. For the latter you're just going to have to learn how to stabilize things on-screen and get rid of bullets. There are also hidden heart items placed around the stage that basically give you a life refill up to three times in-game depending on what route you choose. Heart placement varies between arcade and the trial modes but you should be able to find one in roughly every other stage. These should keep you alive.

You also might not be aware how to even get to the last boss. The game does not make this clear. You have to beat each stage and then beat the extra stage which pops up afterward that has a tougher version of the boss to fight. IIRC you have to clear 3 stages + 3 boss stages and then you are taken to the true final boss.

That's a basic rundown, let me know if you need any more info.

Under Defeat DLC helicopter info is out!

The VKL7.04 (V)W they call it. It can equip the option items you pick up as your default weapon! Weapons with long recharge times will release fast (like Rocket), probably making bosses into pushovers.

vulcan01.jpg

cannon01.jpg

rocket01.jpg

March 28 for 400MSP. PS3 version in early April (600 yen).

Will translate some more info later on tonight.

Looks like the upcoming Under Defeat patch for PS3 will also be applied to the Xbox360 in mid-April. Good news for people like me who are playing on 360.

I'm surprised that UDHD didn't have online play, now that you mention it. Strania has the best netcode I've ever seen in a shooter, since it doesn't have any input lag.

Also, I watched the trailer for the DLC helicopter, and it actually doesn't look very powerful. They killed the stage 3 boss with 50 seconds remaining, but it's possible to do it with 74 with the default ship. Plus it doesn't have an option to use for the 2x bonus, so screw it.

Soulhouf

I'm now playing: Under Defeat HD.
I'm driving a helicopter and fighting tanks and other military vehicles. No moe loli girls.
Wow, that's refreshing.

Top Bottom