• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any gov't attempt to spy through Kinect

" We promise to grow a pair and respect your basic rights since you all already found out we didn't give a shit before and happen to already have a slop bucket full of bad PR that our swine like executives are currently munching on"

Gestault

iJJ6UpyuOkuPo.gif

Flawless

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This was the incorrect response.

Correct response:

"A system will not be in place to make spying on our customers possible"

This - it would be so easy to allow kinect to be unplugged - they stated that the GUI can be controlled by the gamepad...

Yeah, and it could only help console sales, forcing it to be plugged in can only help the federal government's agenda. You do the math.

Correct response:

For everyone's good I think that it's better than they're admitting it's possible, consider it a fair warning.

i-Lo

Well they say that now but under pressure from govt, they may be forced to comply.

Honestly, at the point, just unplug that ethernet cable, power cable or disconnect the kinect after you shut the console down.

Shadrock

Seriously though.... The first Kinect could have done the same thing, as can all the webcams that people have plugged into their computers. But for some reason people think this thing was seriously designed to control your every move, lol.

The government could tap your phone, tap into your smartphone and watch you through it's camera, watch you from the clouds via a drone, and many other much more resourceful ways than from viewing through your Kinect, if for some strange, idiosyncratic reason your life is actually that interesting that your government wants to watch your every move..

:p

Ploid 3.0

You people are so melodramatic.

BRB gonna tape over my cellphone camera just in case the government wants to listen in to my pocket rumblings

With cell phones you can tell when the cam is suddenly eating up juice broadcasting data, and it's just a basic cam, not a Kinect which can analyze certain things beyond what a normal cell camera can do. People hack into cameras though. Again, no detailed info can be mined from basic cameras by some processor and programs like Kinect seem to be able to do.

Dramatization on what cam hackers access. Useless for data collecting.
http://youtu.be/qNadgUjdagc

Ratters

Oersted

There are differences in which company owns those devices and where they come from, but in theory yes they could be used.

One possible practical difference is that Kinect is designed with enhanced tracking and recognition features built in. For example you could imagine it being used to "record" when a certain person is in the room or appears to be performing an action of interest. Another difference is the xbox one is for all practical purposes "always online" so it is much more viable to expect to be able to connect to it. Phones of course have the same advantage, but connection speeds, especially in countries where this will be used would be impractical.

That is of course, quite out there and we all know how well kinect actually performs...but fundamentally the concern here is if the practice isn't stopped now, kinect v4 or similar products might just be a much larger issue.

Don´t even go there. Android and iOS mobile devices are perfect to spy on you and much more valuable than Kinect ever will be. Like Samsung likes to put it, they are personal companions.

But still, this is a topic for a different thread.

Actually....it does more than it doesn't.

What do you mean by that?

erzrb3zr

Banned
Microsoft: We will "aggressively challenge" any gov't attempt to spy through Kinect.

GAF: OMG! They're going to spy/spying on us!

fertygo

Seriously though.... The first Kinect could have done the same thing, as can all the webcams that people have plugged into their computers. But for some reason people think this thing was seriously designed to control your every move, lol.

The government could tap your phone, tap into your smartphone and watch you through it's camera, watch you from the clouds via a drone, and many other much more resourceful ways than from viewing through your Kinect, if for some strange, idiosyncratic reason your life is actually that interesting that your government wants to watch your every move..

The thing is at least I don't want a toy do these to me.

*buying 500$ toy, got spied from it"
Sure as hell make me looks like have 150 IQ.

They are working on all that too, and the living room is going to show far more than you're typical webcam. Are you aware of how profitable the prison industry is? Not to mention the legal system? With image and voice recognition, they will be able to scan all of the data looking for illegal activities, and then target real human surveillance from there.

Just think of all the dumb fucks who are going to smoke weed in front of the Xbone.

what did Microsoft do to "aggressively challenge any government attempt" before this leak came to light? they bent over and provided them a backdoor to all its other services lol and they want us to think they won't do the same with Kinect.. whoever buys this shit is a fucking fool

Correct response:

Sounds familiar so I'm not sure it would help:

Microsoft: Skype cannot be used to spy on customers, it isn't technically possible.
Microsoft: We are updating the Skype backend server, but it has nothing to do with spying.
Microsoft: We were forced to do it.

Once the xbox one is out there and everybody is connected? Things change, updates happen.

Jomjom

Banned
I don't get why they would even store any of the stuff that Kinect records. If they just didn't do that there would be nothing to "challenge" the government over.

Microsoft: We will "aggressively challenge" any gov't attempt to spy through Kinect.

GAF: OMG! They're going to spy/spying on us!

article said:
Not unlike Kinect, Skype had assured its users that wiretaps were technically impossible. "Because of Skype's peer-to-peer architecture and encryption techniques, Skype would not be able to comply with such a request," the company told CNET in 2008. And four years later, when hackers accused Skype owner Microsoft of changing the service's backend to facilitate government eavesdropping, the company categorically denied the accusations. Now, it seems like the company could have been lying, or at least had quietly changed its mind. Mind you, Microsoft is also denying last Thursday's Guardian report, but the denial is a lot less clear-cut. The company disavows having providing "blanket or direct access" to Skype, but doesn't deny that it provides Skype video or audio to the government upon request.
welp

Deraj

Even if we believe them, an "aggressive challenge" would take place in the same top secret court (FISA) whose findings are only reported when declassified.. such as is in this recent example..

Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court Renews Authority to Collect Telephony Metadata

http://www.dni.gov/index.php/newsro...enews-authority-to-collect-telephony-metadata

.. So hypothetically, if Microsoft were to lose such a challenge, they wouldn't be able to tell us that Kinect spying had been authorized since that outcome would be classified.

Whatever. I don't trust MS because they always speak the loudest but do the most shadiest stuff. They talk about how much better there privacy is compared to Google and then we find out that they were actually the worst. Screw them, and all companies that underhandedly gave away our information to the Government without standing ground.

what did Microsoft do to "aggressively challenge any government attempt" before this leak came to light? they bent over and provided them a backdoor to all its other services lol and they want us to think they won't do the same with Kinect.. whoever buys this shit is a fucking fool

Tee hee.

Seriously though,this PR is just atrocious.

Kyon

Banned
A damn mess. Also the lies and confirmation that Kinect can and will spy on you

They shouldn't even say anything

BigDug13

It seems like bad timing. The last thing Americans want this year in particular is a camera and microphone in the living room that is always watching and listening from an American company who was seemingly compelled by the NSA to comply.

iceatcs

I'm not sure it is a good idea to sue your own government. Or even outside, your government won't be happy if other government got upset.

Still, it sound any spies can access their "cloud" farm.

Whatever. I don't trust MS because they always speak the loudest but do the most shadiest stuff. They talk about how much better there privacy is compared to Google and then we find out that they were actually the worst. Screw them, and all companies that underhandedly gave away our information to the Government without standing ground.

Just about everyone here would do the same thing in their position, the government is the real problem.

Top Bottom