• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Woah guys! I have been totally fucked over by my boss this week and not been given a shift from Monday to Thursday. Then I'm in Fri and back off sat!

Greatness did i say fucked over i ment fucking helped out!

Free time > work!

I know this is super late but I've been very busy.... Congrats on your job Suairyu!

So Friday was awesome, accidentally walked through a film set on South Bank, went to the Imperial War Museum then Namco then Big Red. Exhausted but worth it.

Saturday did sweet f a. Stayed in my pj's all day, caught up with True Blood and Sons of Anarchy then gamed and watched movies.

Yesterday went over the in-laws and got a record breaking 6 Easter eggs each, then went to watch my mates band, it was a fucking great night, they won the heat so are through to the final!

Off to Trocedero for laser tag then more Namco fun today. I'm gonna try my best to get that Hello Kitty for Kazenone.

Suairyu

Banned
Change your avatar already, Kent. You promised you would.

I know this is super late but I've been very busy.... Congrats on your job Suairyu!
Ta muchly!

Imperial War Museum is great. Went there on Remembrance Day and it was the eeriest thing ever having the minute's silence and brass trumpet playing amount bombed out tanks.

Kentpaul

Change your avatar already, Kent. You promised you would.

Ta muchly!

Imperial War Museum is great. Went there on Remembrance Day and it was the eeriest thing ever having the minute's silence and brass trumpet playing amount bombed out tanks.

so much hassle man having to get one the correct size.

I am not a motivated individual

Suairyu

Banned
kentbgbz0.png

There we go.

Meteorain

Off to Trocedero for laser tag then more Namco fun today. I'm gonna try my best to get that Hello Kitty for Kazenone.

I saw you guys using that machine, you're never going to get it. The thing literally throws the toy back on the ground the moment it senses you trying to deliver to the collection bay!

Stubo

I saw you guys using that machine, you're never going to get it. The thing literally throws the toy back on the ground the moment it senses you trying to deliver to the collection bay!
When you stock gems such as this, it's too tempting to resist...

DBCNu.jpg

Suairyu

Banned
Fuck the world, Gorillaz are done:

The Guardian said:
Which brings us to another of today's revelations. Will there be more Gorillaz music?

"Er… unlikely."

Really?

"Yeah."

That's a shame. Do you feel you're done?

"Jamie does, which is fair enough. I think we were at cross purposes somewhat on that last record, which is a shame. So until a time comes when that knot has been untied…"

The project's demise, he says, is a "long story", which seems to have reached a head in 2010, when Gorillaz toured as a huge band, and Hewlett's visuals were not nearly as central to the show as they had been. "It was one of those things," Albarn says. "The music and the videos weren't working as well together, but I felt we'd made a really good record, and I was into it. So we went and played it."

So are you and Hewlett talking? Did you fall out?

"Erm… well, that sounds very juvenile, doesn't it? But being juvenile about it, it happens. It's a shame."
Article

RIP best thing to come out of Britain's music industry post-Britpop.

Kentpaul

ok Kent I will make an avatar for you

what theme do you want? Or just send me a picture of yourself.

i will change it tonight after 10ish when i have a good smoke in me!

this thread is so dead i may as well keep posting in it

mjMMC.jpg

Dinner is bought.. i love the asda make your own selection!

Onions,peppers, BBQ base, and extra cheese!. Shit is up there with a takeaway pizza

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Last day at work for a while seeing as I'm going back to Uni, just as I was starting to settle back in too :(

Sounds crazy but I do quite like my job.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
BLUE SKIES + SUNSHINE.

Suck it weather forecasters, you useless wankers.

And once everyone is at work the weather will shift to grey skies and rain so lots of people go home wet because they didn't pack a brolly. Welcome to the UK.

Weather isn't that great to be honest. It's still a bit chilly and the sun just gets in your eyes.

SKINNER!

Banned
you guys! I go away for the weekend and come back and THIS is what happens. sigh.

Weekend update:
-Went back to hometown and decided to see the parents and check out my old room. My friends were working that weekend so I didn't get up to anything exciting.

- Saturday: obtained a new car and drove manual transmission for the first time in 6 years. (I passed my test in manual but drove an automatic ever since I passed.)

- Saturday/Sunday: Watched the whole first season of Community and loved every minute of it (
Paintball episode is the highlight of the whole season. John Woo reference made me laugh hard
).

- Monday: spent all day playing my bass guitar and getting blisters on my fingers. Sister came over so we both watched some Daria and had cookie dough ice cream.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
And once everyone is at work the weather will shift to grey skies and rain so lots of people go home wet because they didn't pack a brolly. Welcome to the UK.

Weather isn't that great to be honest. It's still a bit chilly and the sun just gets in your eyes.

I'm at work now and it's great down here, almost t shirt weather.

This is my last week of UK weather after 34 years of randomness from up above. Was loving the heavy rain yesterday, let's have it! Umbrellas are shit, embrace the wet stuff.

Lirlond

Fucking raining and cold as shit outside.

A bunch of dogs in the street are going into heat and my lab is licking the walls and shit(???)

Spring.

Kentpaul

Fucking raining and cold as shit outside.

A bunch of dogs in the street are going into heat and my lab is licking the walls and shit(???)

Spring.

makes me so proud to be in Scotland right now! Love that cold moist air.

shit is so refreshing

Luckily I have the day off work today as my company gives us the day off after most bank holidays, woohoo!

Unfortunately most of last night/this morning was spent puking or shitting my guts out. Thunk I'm over it now but I won't be doing anything productive today, that's for sure. Think I might marathon Breaking Bad on Netflix.

Meadows

Banned
Went to an rental letting agency in Manchester yesterday and listened to some cocky sales type young lady bullshit for about 15 minutes. Was fucking infuriating.

- Every area of the city I asked about she swore dead that the price was about £200 a month more expensive than I saw online. "Spinningfields, oooh, you won't get a flat there for less than £900 for a studio", "But I saw some on Right Move for £700-750", "No they're only £900+, and Spinnigfields is rubbish anyway, Salford just over the river is much better", "Oh, but I was hoping to live in Spinningfields", "Nah, it's not worth it". Your job isn't to tell me where I want to live you stupid cunt.

- She kept saying it would be a "bloodbath" in June (when I planned on looking) because "you'd be against the students and professionals" and that if I were her I should "get one now and just sit on it until August (when I plan to move)". That's not how it fucking works in reality! I can't pay 3 months of rent (probably around £1800) just to sit on an empty property.

- I mentioned that the rental market in Manchester is quite good for tenants, and that York is really bad. She said that "Manchester has no housing stock, it's really short on housing", I said "Yeah, but York is even worse, it's tiny!", "Yeah, but people aren't exactly looking to move to York for the city lifestyle (?)", "I pay £675 a month for a 1 bedroom flat outside of York city centre, that could get me a 2 bedroom flat in Castlefield!?", "Nah, people from down south (York is further north than Manchester? I'm also from Warrington, about 10 miles west of Manchester) always think it's cheap up here but it isn't".

Fuck letting agents. Fuck them. Every city in the world letting agents are scumbags of the highest order. If you're reading this and you're a letting agent, guess what, you're probably a cunt.

P.S. The letting agency had the initials "T.G" in the Northern quarter. Buyer beware.

Went to an rental letting agency in Manchester yesterday and listened to some cocky sales type young lady bullshit for about 15 minutes. Was fucking infuriating.

- Every area of the city I asked about she swore dead that the price was about £200 a month more expensive than I saw online. "Spinningfields, oooh, you won't get a flat there for less than £900 for a studio", "But I saw some on Right Move for £700-750", "No they're only £900+, and Spinnigfields is rubbish anyway, West Didsbury is much better", "Oh, but I was hoping to live in Spinningfields", "Nah, it's not worth it". Your job isn't to tell me where I want to live you stupid cunt.

- She kept saying it would be a "bloodbath" in June (when I planned on looking) because "you'd be against the students and professionals" and that if I were her I should "get one now and just sit on it until August (when I plan to move)". That's not how it fucking works in reality! I can't pay 3 months of rent (probably around £1800) just to sit on an empty property.

- I mentioned that the rental market in Manchester is quite good for tenants, and that York is really bad. She said that "Manchester has no housing stock, it's really short on housing", I said "Yeah, but York is even worse, it's tiny!", "Yeah, but people aren't exactly looking to move to York for the city lifestyle (?)", "I pay £675 a month for a 1 bedroom flat outside of York city centre, that could get me a 2 bedroom flat in Castlefield!?", "Nah, people from down south (York is further north than Manchester? I'm also from Warrington, about 10 miles west of Manchester) always think it's cheap up here but it isn't".

Fuck letting agents. Fuck them. Every city in the world letting agents are scumbags of the highest order. If you're reading this and you're a letting agent, guess what, you're probably a cunt.

P.S. The letting agency was called "Thornley Groves" in the Northern quarter. Buyer beware.

She could be every letting agent I've ever dealt with. They're all total cunts and a lot of them make up stuff to post online just to get you in there. I tend to mostly use Gumtreebut even that's overrun with agents nowadays.

Meadows

Banned
I just look on Rightmove/FindAProperty's website, call for a viewing and if I like it, tell em I'll go for it.

Yeah, I normally do but I was wandering around the NQ yesterday and thought it'd be a good use of 15 minutes to listen to what a letting agent had to say.

Obviously I was wrong.

Oh, and RightMove's draw-a-search is amazing.

Letting Agents are indeed scum of the earth. You always feel they're against you, or making up more fees, or lying about how you'll never be able to find a flat in x month. I guess my main issue is that finding a flat is a fucking horrible process, and letting agents always act as if getting every thing done is incredibly easy when it isn't.

SKINNER!

Banned
Letting Agents are indeed scum of the earth. You always feel they're against you, or making up more fees, or lying about how you'll never be able to find a flat in x month. I guess my main issue is that finding a flat is a fucking horrible process, and letting agents always act as if getting every thing done is incredibly easy when it isn't.

Yup. They are the most dishonest people I have ever come across. It took me 2 months to get back my deposit after I left my old flat. They inspected the flat twice and just kept coming up with stupid excuses about how they can't contact the landlord. I don't usually shout over the phone but I am convinced that I would never have got my full deposit back if I just played the "nice guy" card throughout the whole ordeal. oh, I also discovered Letting Agents don't like the words "lawyer" and "sue".

Yup. They are the most dishonest people I have ever come across. It took me 2 months to get back my deposit after I left my old flat. They inspected the flat twice and just kept coming up with stupid excuses about how they can't contact the landlord. I don't usually shout over the phone but I am convinced that I would never have got back my full deposit back if I just played the "nice guy" card throughout the whole ordeal. oh, I also discovered Letting Agents don't like the words "lawyer" and "sue".

Near enough every letting agent I've dealt with has left me wanting to put a brick through their office windows. Pretty sure you could get away with it too as the suspect list would be far too long.

SKINNER!

Banned
Not sure why nothing is being done about it. You'd think they'd set up some watchdog and make them all follow some standard code but nope! bunch of cowboys.

yeah I feel as if "holding fees" and charging tons for credit checks (Even worse when you have to do at least 2 because when you're a student they always want to check your parents as well) should be made illegal or at least way more regulated. You get the feeling they just do what they want.

Meadows

Banned
It's because they're a relic. They'll be dead in 5-10 years. People will stop walking into agencies and just use online services and bypass agents all together, with landlords submitting their properties online without the middle man.

Letting agents are just a pointless step in the process that internet capitalism will soon take care of, meaning we won't have to shell out ridiculous admin fees for some "executive" who thinks they're hot shit because they wear a suit and "handle £x million of property".

No, they don't "handle" it, they advertise it! Pricks. If Coca-Cola hired a marketing firm to make an advert for Coca-Cola in, say Birmingham, they wouldn't "handle" Coca-Cola's $x billion of revenue.

Meadows

Banned
Sounds like you should have been this assertive when you went to see them! (Albeit with less liberal use of the word 'cunt', perhaps :D)

There wasn't really any reason to be. I was just helping one of the sales people move a brochure stand inside (it was raining) and got chatting. It wasn't like I was paying them or using them as a business so there wasn't really any reason for me to be aggressive, I just won't use them if possible.

It's the market standard though anyway unfortunately. It's the same with another agent in York (can't say their name, I'm using them, but they're the biggest in the city I think) but you can't just use someone else because at the end of the day the property/landlord is the most important thing, you won't take your business elsewhere because you want a specific apartment and it isn't worth souring relationships with some pricks if it loses you a nice flat you want.

I should be okay anyway, I've got 3 years of experience living in rentals, 3 good references and have never lost any deposit/left everything immaculately clean.

There wasn't really any reason to be. I was just helping one of the sales people move a brochure stand inside (it was raining) and got chatting. It wasn't like I was paying them or using them as a business so there wasn't really any reason for me to be aggressive, I just won't use them if possible.

It's the market standard though anyway unfortunately. It's the same with another agent in York (can't say their name, I'm using them, but they're the biggest in the city I think) but you can't just use someone else because at the end of the day the property/landlord is the most important thing, you won't take your business elsewhere because you want a specific apartment and it isn't worth souring relationships with some pricks if it loses you a nice flat you want.

I should be okay anyway, I've got 3 years of experience living in rentals, 3 good references and have never lost any deposit/left everything immaculately clean.

Fair enough, it might just be my own desire to tell those pricks what's what that makes me want to live it vicariously through you haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom